Valentia Accordion Translation Project Thread

5 hours ago, Fastesthe1 said:

I noticed people have been talking about the high-heels.  Well the in-universe example is a bit silly, it's actually not that out of place.

In the real world, high-heels were invented around the 10th century and were originally worn to help horse riders stay in the stirrups, especially during combat.  They eventually became a symbol of power and were even fashionable for men to wear during the early 1700's.  Over time, women began wearing them and eventually high-heels became viewed as feminine, leading to the fashion of today.

Just your fun trivia of the day.  :)

Interesting. 

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Fastesthe1 said:

I noticed people have been talking about the high-heels.  Well the in-universe example is a bit silly, it's actually not that out of place.

In the real world, high-heels were invented around the 10th century and were originally worn to help horse riders stay in the stirrups, especially during combat.  They eventually became a symbol of power and were even fashionable for men to wear during the early 1700's.  Over time, women began wearing them and eventually high-heels became viewed as feminine, leading to the fashion of today.

Just your fun trivia of the day.  :)

Sounds like the out of place thing is that the men aren't wearing them...which I wouldn't really object to.

Apologies for the wait everyone! A lot of life changes went on (some really good but keep me really busy too~)

I especially apologize to Valbar and Kamui fans, but here are their profiles (finally!)

102 Valbar and Kamui

That is all the playable characters done. Now some bosses/other characters remain, and some bits of concept art. I still plan to see this through before the end of the year!

Is the nomadic previous lifestyle thing of Kamui new? Sounded neat. It didn't seem like Valbar has anything new in his profile.

Thank you once more for all your hard work @Kirokan!

By the way, I saw your Marcia article, t'was very good! A mostly authentic localization of the meaning behind the Japanese, with a moment or three of minor deviation/arguable deviation, cool. Plus a couple extra swears, whilst still not being too excessive with them, or so I think. I think it looks worse than it actually is ingame, since there you aren't seeing all of this text at once, rather it's spread out over numerous chapters.

And I this slipped my mind when you were asking for suggestions of thing before, but I've remembered it now, and I just wanted to mention it.

Shadow Dragon is a game which you don't see many translation questions with, due to the rather restrained quantity of script I would think. Nonetheless, in Chapter 5, the one village there gives you a dragonstone. Here is what the villager says:

(Visiting Village)

Young Man:
“Well g’day, there, son! …Why the wide-eyed stare? Ain’cha never seen a country village before? You know, speakin’ o’ rare sights, I once went to Pyrathi, where I saw me a real live Manakete! Cripes, let me tell you what a shock THAT was! In a blink, this regular old feller turned into an enormous dragon! I mean, I ain’t stupid. I’d heard of the dragonkin before. I’d just always assumed Manaketes looked somethin’ like parakeets. Sheesh… …What? Oh, this? I picked this stone up while I was there. Dunno what it is, but how often do you spy a glowin’ red rock, ya know what I’m sayin’ But honestly, it’s been kinda creepin’ me out lately. You want it? Go on ‘n’ take it. Sheesh…”

I bolded the relevant part. This can't work in Japanese, can it? Isn't the Japanese for Manakete "Mamkute" even? Any wordplay at all in it?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

37 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Is the nomadic previous lifestyle thing of Kamui new? Sounded neat. It didn't seem like Valbar has anything new in his profile.

Kamui states in his second base conversation that his family were shepherds, but got into a conflict with another tribe, and were forced to move into a city, so that information is in the game. Valbar doesn't have anything new, either, although I'm trying to remember if him being in the Zofian army is directly stated or heavily hinted at in the game itself. I believe it's the former, but I haven't played the game in a while.

On a bit of a side note, I've mentioned it before, but I still wish that IS went through with adding more DLC, as it would have been cool to see how Valbar, Leon, and Kamui met, and how they got into the situation that you find them in by the time Celica's story begins. I could see a solid basis for a tragicomedy, given how funny their few interactions as a group were, yet both Valbar and Leon lost people close to them.

That, and I'd like a sequel to Shadows of Valentia to show what happens afterwards mostly to iron out the flaws that the original story had, as well as deconstructing it by showing what the aftermath should look like.

3 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Also, is Kamui possibly from Jugdral? It says he's from a distant land, so the obvious one would have to be either Archanea or Jugdral. 

That may be a possibility. I always thought that this "conflict" Kamui's clan entered was set in Valentia, given that the continent doesn't have a huge amount of towns or villages, and there is enough land for groups of nomads and shepherds to live comfortably, but not a whole lot of it, so conflicts, arguments, and fights between these groups wouldn't be rare. However, after rereading the description, it does seem possible that Kamui may from a different continent.

Thank you greatly @Kirokan once again for pushing through with this project! It took a lot of time, but it was worth every wait. Learning more about the timeline and characters was always fun and informative, and thank you once again for doing this!

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

Also, is Kamui possibly from Jugdral? It says he's from a distant land, so the obvious one would have to be either Archanea or Jugdral. 

I doubt it'd be Archanea, unless it was the northern hinterlands.

If it was Jugdral, I'd say whatever has become of Issach would be his place of origin. Given Issach is the land of Myrmidons and Swordmasters, it'd be the obvious choice.

Coincidentally, located in an obscure quiz answers page on this site, it is stated that the Treasure artbook for FE4 briefly listed what each country had as its main industries:

4) FE4: Which of the following best describes Lenster’s main industry/industries?

A Agriculture – Grandbell and Augustria
B Agriculture, crafts and fishing – Answers taken from the FE: Treasure book
C Fishing and hunting – Verdane, Silesia and Thracia (in Thracia’s case, add mining)
D Livestock farming – Isaac [I bolded this for relevancy]

Kamui's family was shepherds? Jugdral takes place between -740 and -500 Archanean Calendar, since Naga has to be alive and warring with the Earths and co.. Alm and Celica journey in 606 AC, roughly a thousand years later. Nonetheless, barring a major catastrophic event or human technological advancement, I think it would be reasonable to say that the lands that were Issach a millennium later, shouldn't be that different from how they were before. So Issach should still have a heavy focus on livestock.

3 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Awesome!

Judging by the heavy Japanese aesthetic they gave him, the implication was probably meant to be Hoshido.  Its not impossible either, Chrome refers to Nohr and Hoshido  as the ancient lost lands or something in Before Awakening, and that's two  thousand years later. Plenty of time for relatively distant lands to become the lost lands. Two of the Cipher characters come from Fateslandia too. Although another comes from Elibe which to my knowledge has never even been half hinted to share the same planet as Arkaneia.

Could always be referring to the mysterious southern continent either.

https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/72184-the-southern-continent/

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Judging by the heavy Japanese aesthetic they gave him, the implication was probably meant to be Hoshido.  Its not impossible either, Chrome refers to Nohr and Hoshido  as the ancient lost lands or something in Before Awakening, and that's two  thousand years later. Plenty of time for relatively distant lands to become the lost lands. Two of the Cipher characters come from Fateslandia too. Although another comes from Elibe which to my knowledge has never even been half hinted to share the same planet as Arkaneia.

Could always be referring to the mysterious southern continent either.

https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/72184-the-southern-continent/

Chrom refers to them as mythical kingdoms, but that by no means proves they are the same world. Chrom's also heard about the Tellius, Magvel, and Elibe worlds too, despite how those are separate worlds too. So Before Awakening doesn't prove anything. 

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

Chrom refers to them as mythical kingdoms, but that by no means proves they are the same world. Chrom's also heard about the Tellius, Magvel, and Elibe worlds too, despite how those are separate worlds too. So Before Awakening doesn't prove anything. 

Well unlike the other references, it's just stories Chrom is familiar with, which easily could have passed through the outrealm gate. I don't think any of the previous continents, Jugdral included, are actually identified by name in Awakening (correct me if I'm wrong on that, I'm really doubting myself now that I've posted). Furthermore, Chrom's absolute shock at hearing Corrin is from Fateslandia is more inline with it being something he believes once existed in his world. Itd be like so.eone claiming they're from Atlantis as opposed to Middle Earth (well in our modern world both would be meet with utter incredulity and we're pretty certain Atlantis is just as fictional as Middle Earth but hopefully you see my point).

Edited by Jotari

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well unlike the other references, it's just stories Chrom is familiar with, which easily could have passed through the outrealm gate. I don't think any of the previous continents, Jugdral included, are actually identified by name in Awakening (correct me if I'm wrong on that, I'm really doubting myself now that I've posted). Furthermore, Chrom's absolute shock at hearing Corrin is from Fateslandia is more inline with it being something he believes once existed in his world. Itd be like so.eone claiming they're from Atlantis as opposed to Middle Earth (well in our modern world both would be meet with utter incredulity and we're pretty certain Atlantis is just as fictional as Middle Earth but hopefully you see my point).

In Priam's paralogue, he refers to Ike as a warrior from another world. Owain actually says, "by the red hair of Eliwood" and "by the mullet of Ike" in his support, the former in the C support with Noire, and the latter in his S support with F!Robin. 

Chrom isn't in absolute shock, but he is surprised that someone is referring to kingdoms that he's heard in stories, but even then that doesn't prove anything. Even using the case of Atlantis that is once believed to be the same world, it actually wouldn't work given how nothing from Fates actually works with anything from the context of both Awakening and the Archanea series. Not even the degeneration works the same.

10 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

In Priam's paralogue, he refers to Ike as a warrior from another world. Owain actually says, "by the red hair of Eliwood" and "by the mullet of Ike" in his support, the former in the C support with Noire, and the latter in his S support with F!Robin. 

Chrom isn't in absolute shock, but he is surprised that someone is referring to kingdoms that he's heard in stories, but even then that doesn't prove anything. Even using the case of Atlantis that is once believed to be the same world, it actually wouldn't work given how nothing from Fates actually works with anything from the context of both Awakening and the Archanea series. Not even the degeneration works the same.

I know Awakening has references to previous games (a tonne of them), but what I mean is I don't think, or at least I can't recall, anyone saying "Oh this is a story from the land of Elibe." All the references are just stories of uncertain origin in Awakening's world. You are right though that the lore does work differently in Fates and that is the best reason to suspect it's a different realm (that and Corrin arrives in Ylisse from a different realm so it is at the very least a different realm if not a different realm in addition to being something on the same continent of Archanea). However, let's not discount the possibility that Kamui still is from Hoshido and arrived on that planet via the Outrealm Gate. If the Cipher characters are to be in anyway considered canon then Outrealm travel at the very least exists or is possible at that point (and even without them, Kamui getting there from another world is at least as plausible as Camus' ridiculous transcontinental unconscious floating journey).

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I know Awakening has references to previous games (a tonne of them), but what I mean is I don't think, or at least I can't recall, anyone saying "Oh this is a story from the land of Elibe." All the references are just stories of uncertain origin in Awakening's world. You are right though that the lore does work differently in Fates and that is the best reason to suspect it's a different realm (that and Corrin arrives in Ylisse from a different realm so it is at the very least a different realm if not a different realm in addition to being something on the same continent of Archanea). However, let's not discount the possibility that Kamui still is from Hoshido and arrived on that planet via the Outrealm Gate. If the Cipher characters are to be in anyway considered canon then Outrealm travel at the very least exists or is possible at that point (and even without them, Kamui getting there from another world is at least as plausible as Camus' ridiculous transcontinental unconscious floating journey).

Well, that's what happens when you violate with taboo. Naga messed around with time travel so much, no matter how careful she was, that distortions in the space-time continuum happened. Why else do you think Duma and Mila's existence and history was altered? They were gods, but then Naga made them become Divine Dragons that served her.

• 1 month later...

Time flies... It's been several months since my last update! And nearly a year since this started! x_x But I am alive!

And have some good news! Lots of pages done for this update!

Profiles:

110 Desaix, Barth, and Garth
112 Blake, Zakson, Lawson, and Gazelle

Enemy Units:  130 | 131 | 132 | 133 |
NPCs: 134 | 135 |

Concept Art:

146-147 Alm and Celica
148-149 Celica, Mycen, and Gray
150-151 Tobin, Kliff, Silque, Faye, and Clive
152-153 Clair, Python, Forsyth, Mae, Zeke, Tatiana
154-155 Mathilda, Boey, Genny, Jesse, Leon, Luthier, Delthea, and Atlas
158-159 Conrad, Berkut, and Rinea
160-161 Fernand, Jedah, Rudolf, and Mila

The only pages left are a few more profiles (9), and four pages of "Overclass" concepts! Then there are two pages of staff comments that I want to translate, but then I can finally wrap this up! So sorry for the delay everyone, but I'll need a bit more time..been so busy!

(Also please ignore some minor terminology errors, when going over some I realize sometimes Zofia became Zophia or Sofia/Sophia, due to the variety of translators and which versions of the game we played and such...I only realized after the typesetting was done, and already spent several hours on all this...so I'm willing to let it slide. Forgive me!)

Edited by Kirokan

Thank you once more @Kirokan!

I like seeing beta designs, gives me a sense of the process the artists went through to get to the final product. What they kept, what they dejected, interesting. My comments:

• Angry Alm, yay! A little scanty on the armor though. Alm 2- the visor hat is ridiculous (like Clair's), and so is the fur skirt- this outfit is really eclectic. Alm 3- Looks smug, and the forehead piece is only okay. Is the smugness because he isn't wearing pants or underwear beneath the skirt?
  • Beta Celicas remind me how Mae promotes into her base class. A fashion bond of sorts her BGFF. And like Mae and Picasso, she also went through a blue period.
  • Beta Mycen looks arguably as good as final Mycen.
  • Beta Tobin looks a little too kiddy for me. I also now see that I personally don't exactly like his attire either, now that I have more than a slender side view.
  • Silque does benefit from the minor frontal design tweaks from her beta design I think.
  • Faye was done better by removing the Mage breastplate, and overall making her look more like an ordinary villager.
  • Beta Clive's head definitely gives off a totally different feel, even if the armor is practically the same.
  • Blue Mae is different, not sure if it works so well with her pink hair. If alt outfits were a thing in FE, she should get it.
  • Beta Camus is just a lot less ornate, and not befitting of him. He and Forsyth it seems had simple bases, onto which detail were then added in a step by step approach.
  • Forsyth is as green as Abel for his SoV inspiration. Although it doesn't outright say it, I guess Lukas must have been made to be as red as Cain.
  • I'm happy they didn't go with open front Tatiana, a little tasteless for a priestess and smelling of fanservice. Of the three little Tatianas, the middle one is the final design, the one to its right seems a little more ornate, while the one on the left would've been fine to me. It is a bit simpler and lighter than the final pick, and both are good.
  • For Genny, like with Tatiana, I'm like they put more inches of fabric on this priestess.
  • A Blue Boey? A third blooper Mage. Don't like the old face.
  • Jesse's patch of chest hair- had he kept it, would have been quite the rarity in FE, and Japanese entertainment artstyles as a whole. Although I think more diffuse hair rather than a hairball would've been better.
  • A Blue Delthea?- Just like Celica, Mae and Boey. They could've assembled a little costume collection from this. I like her blue alt. And the effort to tie her to Luthier with a pattern-match, just as they did Clair and Clive with the color blue.
  • I think I prefer Conrad with less red, it makes his hair stand out more.
  • Jedah... cute? Uhh..... no comment. X)

24 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Are they... are they JUSTIFYING why Pegasus Knights don't have extra weight added to their lower body? 

*Reads the class art page on the Pegasus Knight*

Really? Leg skinship and a closer touch of a woman's intimate areas create a stronger bond? Pegasi are hereby pervs, like the men who wrote this so.

19 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Is this the same for wyverns? I doubt it.

Ask Camilla.

On the plus silly side, Subaki really should shed pants then. No wonder he is a cruddy unit as is.

The blurb on the color symbolism is interesting.... Until you read the part where it says the editor created it. I'd rather prefer to know if Hidari or her superiors intended it. At least the editor stated it was their interpretation.

Also @Kirokan, I read your short read of the Batta the Beast line in Japanese. I think opting not for the literal "Lord Batta" is better, since "lord" in English I think would lead most to then think he has an actual lordship or some other political unit of control, which he obviously doesn't. Not to say English is totally against using noble/royal terms casually speaking, but in this context, it wouldn't work.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Jedah... cute? Uhh..... no comment. X)

Well Jedah's milkshake probably brings all the girls to the yard. He's got three daughters despite being in his 200's after all. Perhaps being blue makes Jedah highly desirable for the opposite sex. 

We need a beach Jedah in Heroes. 

It's been too long. I'm glad to see this topic active again. It may not be a bad idea to look in the past to reignite some conversations and see if we missed anything.

As for what's new:

- The new profiles pretty much just describe what the bosses did in the game and the most noticeable aspect about them. It doesn't really mean or add much, other than being a reminder that "Oh yeah! They were the boss of such and such a place".

- The unit descriptions are good stuff. I like how it's common for sages to have unique spell lists, and how arcanists are their darker counterpart. It's also interesting to see that cantors are considered priests in the Duma Faithful.

- That said, I'm curious about the line with some mages having "shadows in their expressions". We know from the Dread Fighter description that certain types of black magic take a toll on the mind, so I'm curious whether or not a similar case can occur with normal mages. Or if the phrase is dealing with something else entirely.

-For some reason, nearly every section dealing with the villager NPC's mentions their shoes. I have no idea why the descriptions would be so obsessed about them, other than than trying to find something to talk about. there's not much to discuss when dealing with generic designs, so I guess they were grasping at straws.

-I do like the observation that the old man has a hatchet in his bag, and the joke that they might all have been swordfighters in their prime. I know it's unlikely that every old man in the game was once a swordsman, but it's fun to joke/think about.

- Also, yes! I KNEW that there were some similarities between the colors of the traders and the characters in the game. I originally thought that their differing dialog was a broad reference to Forsyth, Python, and Lukas personalities, but it turns out that there's more to it than that. I also didn't realize that they were caring vegetables and lanterns on them. I honestly wouldn't mind if this trio appeared in future games to compare/contrast with Anna

58 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

HOLD UP! 

Are they... are they JUSTIFYING why Pegasus Knights don't have extra weight added to their lower body? 

I facepalmed when I first read that. "Allowing the horse and rider to form a strong bond" my [Insert Creative Expletive Here]. A better explanation would be that having less armor overall would improve their speed, which is pretty important considering that unlike cavaliers, being knocked of their Pegasus and/or having their mount killed has much more disastrous and even fatal outcome when compared to being knocked off a horse. A knight could still fight on foot if that situation occurred, so the extra armor makes sense, but Pegasus knights don't really have that option, so being able to dodge is of higher importance than wearing more armor.

51 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Is this the same for wyverns? I doubt it.

It's probably not series-wide, but it appears that reclassed wyvern riders in Awakening (and maybe Fates. I haven't played it so I can't confirm) gave this theory a try. Years later, and I'm still trying to wrap my heads around how they're riding a flying reptile in what amounts to a short dress.

Edit: Looking at the concept art...

- I remember in one of the interviews about the game that Alm was designed first, and was the one with the most varied designs. Once Hidari finished the final version of Alm, they said that the rest of the characters were made without issue. That can be seen pretty clearly here, as there aren't a whole lot of designs that are different from the final product.

- The second version of Alm looks like he's wearing a ballcap, and I can't get it out of my head that he's working in a fast food restaurant or is going to a ball game.

- It appears that Clive, Mathilda, Faye, Tatiana, and Berkut have the most varied concept art

- Anyone else find it strange seeing even a hint at what Lukas and Clive look like without a shirt on? Anyone? It's strange what seeing more of someones neck will do.

- I find the different dress ideas for Tatiana to be pretty neat. Makes me wish that all the Saints in the game wore dresses. The weird skirt thing with open legs always looked weird to me.

- Jesse used to have chest hair. On the one hand, it's unique. On the other, it's distracting. I almost wish Jesse had a beard to compliment the extra hair if it made it in the final game. Chesthair bearded Jesse for Heroes!

- I didn't notice that something as simple as Berkut's hairstyle was meant to contrast with Alm. It's interesting that most of his concept art is about his hair. Also, I can't get the "kind of like Marth" picture out of my head now. That's another idea for a Heroes Alt...

- While I disagree with it being "cute", Jedah's screaming face has an oddly endearing hilarious look to it.

Overall, it's a testament to Hidari's skill that they created so many designs that required few tweaks before being finalized. I know that might just be due to the presentation, but it is impressive nonetheless.

Edited by Hawkwing
Added my thoughts about the concept art.

4 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

I facepalmed when I first read that. "Allowing the horse and rider to form a strong bond" my [Insert Creative Expletive Here]. A better explanation would be that having less armor overall would improve their speed, which is pretty important considering that unlike cavaliers, being knocked of their Pegasus and/or having their mount killed has much more disastrous and even fatal outcome when compared to being knocked off a horse. A knight could still fight on foot if that situation occurred, so the extra armor makes sense, but Pegasus knights don't really have that option, so being able to dodge is of higher importance than wearing more armor.

A better explanation would be to not give an explanation at all (and give all future male pegasus riders sexy skirts too).