What are your predictions for FE Switch?

Guest Dreamyboi

Guest Dreamyboi

What do you think the game will be like when if we FINALLY get to see it? What are you expecting? NOT WHAT YOU'RE HOPING FOR, WHAT YOU'RE EXPECTING.

It can be positive or negative or whatever, I'm bored as hell.

Edited by Dreamyboi

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we're being honest with ourselves IS will likely continue to squeeze the success and popularity of Fates/Awakening. The way they've approached heroes and warriors (SIX FUCKING ROBINS) tells me their priority is milking their new audience that got started with the 3DS games rather than try to us old folks. That being said its not like i'm going into this with a really negative outlook or anything. IS did listen to feedback we had about the game play of awakening and while i hate the story, will admit that Fates does play better than Awakening from a pure game play standpoint imo, so hopefully they'll continue making improvements on that front. All that being said, i think anyone who expects the new game to depart from the overall trajectory that the new games have been trending in just hasn't been paying attention

Edited by colossus86

5 minutes ago, Jave said:

I fully expect fanservice in the reveal trailer.

Completely serious here.

honestly wouldn't even be that mad if they just went full comedy/fanservice instead of trying to have their cake and eat it too. While i'd prefer a more serious game, if they went full comedy i could dig it

I at least expect that there's a very good chance that we won't get children again. Even if they keep S Supports and the Avatar, which wouldn't surprise me, the second gen units for Fates weren't as well received as the ones in Awakening and there's only so many ways they can justify them in-universe without having another Geneology style plot. I also think the story should be better at least because they're not likely to do the "three whole games worth of different story scenarios" thing again. 

If it is revealed in April then we will just get a cinematic trailer showing off the main lord, his sister, the bad guy, the avatar in some ambiguous way, and main waifu they are going to shove in our face. The main waifu should not be confused with Miss Fanservice who will also be in the trailer wearing Tharja's winter outfit in Heroes.

If it is revealed in E3, then we will have the cinematic trailer, followed by some talking from a developer that will spout a bunch of things to try and hype everybody up, and then later on we will see actual gameplay when Treehouse starts showing that off.

Firstly I predict that this game won't be released this year. I don't see much reason to assume the development has progressed very far yet considering we only know the existence of the game and nothing else. Last year it was obvious that they wouldn't reveal anything as of not to intrude with the three Fire emblem titles that were coming out this year but that reason is gone now. Perhaps we have not been shown anything because there really is nothing to show as of yet. 

But rather then all the doom and gloom I hear of most people I'm expecting improvements all around. I think we will have a better balance between old and new, a better story and that the excesses of Fates will be toned down this time. I don't think anyone ever sets out to write a bad story and the poor narrative and villains of the 3ds games are things I deem more as victims of circumstances than design. Those circumstances need not exist this time and its in their own benefit to go fix them. Echoes, while not perfect was also a step in the good direction,

The fanservice aspect is here to stay but I do think its going to be toned down. There will be a character like Tharja or Camilla because that would probably count as tradition by now but the truly excessive nonsense like face rubbing or the flirtation with incest pairings probably won't be returning this time around. I think IS noticed the big controversy and will try its best to ensure it won't happen a second time, though not to the extend of alienating the new fans. 

I don't expect a style similar to the 3DS games. Whenever Nintendo gets their hands on new hardware they tend to go try out new things and go for a different style. The Switch is far more powerful than the 3DS so with the new game IS has a lot of technological horsepower to play around with and I think we'll be seeing the results of that. 

For the trailer, I'll expect them to show off some character designs and cutscenes, set the tone the the game is aiming for, and then focus largely on explaining the improvements, expansions, and new features of the gameplay. I've said it before, but I really hope they show off the combat animations, as there are several ways they can take advantage of the switches power to 

As for the game itself:

• The protagonist won't wield a sword, or at least not immediately. They may or may not be female lead this time around, or they might try the dual protagonist angle again. They won't be royalty, or at least, not the prince or princess of the realm. At most, they'll be a lord among several other lords.
  • They may or may not have an avatar:
    • If they do, they'll have enough importance to have a reason for being in the story and will have some chances to interact with it, but in the grand scheme of things won't be the driving force of the plot or anything like that. It could be interesting if the player gets to decide how important or involved they get into the plot
    • Gameplaywise, I could see them not only providing more options for customizing the look of the avatar (potentially including armor clothing and color) but also expanding upon their beginning stats, growth rates, class, etcetera. They may even take the path of choosing past events that the character went through, and have the stats be determined from that, and/or have the trait/perk system from fallout where you can take a perk that has both an advantage and a disadvantage (something like sacrificing critical hit chance for greater base strength, or having greater dodge chance at the cost of lower hp, and so on and so forth).
  • The characters will probably be along the lines of Echoes; grounded, likable, and inoffensive but not quite as deep as other examples in the series. We'll definitely have our fair-share of quirky characters, but they won't make up the majority, and their quirks won't be the only aspect of their character.
  • The fan-service and marriage stuff will still be present, but downplayed and potentially optional. It'll be there for those that are interested, but it won't be forced upon the player.
  • We'll be given more options for unit customization. It won't be anything to large, and I doubt they'll 
  • The story won't be outstanding, but it won't retread old ground either. They'll focus on giving us an overall solid narrative rather than giving us something epic and ambitious, but potentially flawed. They'll clean up as many plot holes as they can, won't overstep their boundaries, but will still aim to provide a satisfying and well-done story at the end of the day.
  • The conflict will be human-focused and grounded in reality. Dragons (and potentially shapeshifters) will at most be side character's, and we'll see some more unique designs of them instead of the usual "female child" or "old man" of previous games. The final boss also won't be a dragon (unless they manage to pull off a really strong, though-out, unique, and overall well-done twist on this trope).
  • The tone will probably be neutral on the dark/lighthearted scale. We'll definitely get some extremely dark moments in the story that won't come off as forced, but we'll also get several moments of genuine hope and good-humor, and will try to balance them out so that one doesn't overshadow the other, and unless it's intentional, mood whiplash won't
  • They'll take what worked, fix or drop what didn't work from past titles, and will have some new additions to the overall gameplay. The game will probably be complex without being overwhelming, and will try to avoid some of the more annoying aspects of the series (such as ambush spawns, fog of war, unbalanced difficulty, badly planned permadeath, etc.).
  • The support system will be a mixture of Echoes and the GBA games (and maybe Tellius but I haven't played those games yet), being easy to unlock and limited in quantity, but with higher quality.
  • The combat animations will be fluid, down-to-earth, and hopefully realistic. That being said, they won't shy away from a few over-the-top attacks. Clothing damage may be present, but it'll be more logical and painful than fan-servicy and hilarious.
    • On a side note, I question whether or not they'll include blood in the next title. I know that games like Mount and Blade and Lugaru manage to have blood and still be rated T (mostly because the blood only appears when an attack should draw blood, instead of it egregiously appearing every single hit, and even then the effects are small and realistic instead of gratuitous) but I don't know if it would be fitting for a series like Fire Emblem and if would help exemplify the "war is hell" part of the series, or if it would be out of place and a step to far.
    • I also hope they make better use of the environment, with trees falling from missed attacks, missed arrows sticking to walls, both sides using tables, chairs, sticks, bricks, and whatever they can to distract or damage the other side. I could go with this part for a long while, but you get the idea.
  • They'll try to bridge the gap between old and new fans, but will go about this task subtly rather than announce it. They'll try to appeal to both sides without going choosing one over the other. I doubt that this is their focus goal, however, and they'll aim on creating a great game first

I know this is a long list, and I tried to be optimistic without going overboard. I'm hopeful for this game, but I'm keeping it in check.

Everything from the success of Awakening/Fates this is obvious and the popular features to help them have another successful FE game to appeal to their highest audience Avatar, marriage, waifus, fanservice and children obvious stuff. Story will still have mixed reception.

2 hours ago, YingofDarkness said:

If it is revealed in April then we will just get a cinematic trailer showing off the main lord, his sister, the bad guy, the avatar in some ambiguous way, and main waifu they are going to shove in our face. The main waifu should not be confused with Miss Fanservice who will also be in the trailer wearing Tharja's winter outfit in Heroes.

If it is revealed in E3, then we will have the cinematic trailer, followed by some talking from a developer that will spout a bunch of things to try and hype everybody up, and then later on we will see actual gameplay when Treehouse starts showing that off.

You summed it up perfectly

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

7 hours ago, colossus86 said:

S did listen to feedback we had about the game play of awakening and while i hate the story, will admit that Fates does play better than Awakening from a pure game play standpoint imo, so hopefully they'll continue making improvements on that front.

I would like to point out that Fate's story was written to address the complaints that Awakening's was too simplistic and cliche, by providing a deeper, darker story with more emotional stakes. Oddly enough, the fandom despited Fate's story, and is slowly but surely realizing Awakening's wasn't that bad

4 hours ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

Story will still have mixed reception.

I expect that to happen too, mainly because this fandom is WAY to hard on any story not Path of Radiance or Genealogy of the Holy or Jugdral. I honestly don't understand why people blame marriage and children for stories they don't like. The existence of waifus and husbandos does not mean the developers aren't trying as hard to tell a compelling story. Fate's story's strengths and weakness storywise are not affected in the slightest by the fact you can romance characters

I predict we'll get an Avatar and/or full voice acting. It might only be one or the other if the developers can't find a way to have both. I'd prefer the latter, but wouldn't mind the former, nor would I mind having both

I'm expecting a new setting rather than a continuation of any past game or a prequel.

The Lord character will have blue hair... Probably.

If an avatar is added, there will be more customization options. Hopefully. Eye color would be nice, and skin color choice is a bit overdue.

Assuming all goes well, the story is going to be very interesting and deviate from the norm. Regardless, I'm imagining the story and adventure will be grand or it will be dramatic and interesting.

There will probably be new game mechanics and perhaps gimmicks, some exclusive to the title.

There will probably be some new options or the like to make playing the game a bit easier as well as GUI and menu rearrangements.

We might have some changes to the weapon triangle. I'm hoping that Nosferatu Dark Magic will be handled much better in FE Switch than it was in Fates.

Edited by Arcphoenix

8 minutes ago, redtutel said:

I would like to point out that Fate's story was written to address the complaints that Awakening's was too simplistic and cliche, by providing a deeper, darker story with more emotional stakes. Oddly enough, the fandom despited Fate's story, and is slowly but surely realizing Awakening's wasn't that bad

I expect that to happen too, mainly because this fandom is WAY to hard on any story not Path of Radiance or Genealogy of the Holy or Jugdral. I honestly don't understand why people blame marriage and children for stories they don't like. The existence of waifus and husbandos does not mean the developers aren't trying as hard to tell a compelling story. Fate's story's strengths and weakness storywise are not affected in the slightest by the fact you can romance characters

To your point i never had that much of an issue with Awakening's story. It was a bit generic but for me it got a pass since the game was an homage to the series as a whole so naturally it would borrow alot of elements. The game play on the other hand...

20 hours ago, redtutel said:

You are right that the fandom is too hard on the story (I actually like Awakening's story even if it is generic), but with Fates the waifu and husbando aspects where clearly impacting the story negatively. The whole Avatar worship is a staple amongst harem and otome games (forgot what the male equivalent of otome was so I went with harem). In these games you have a set amount of waifus/husbandos you can choose to be together with and a lot of them do that stupid player worship. This isn't even mentioning the Birthright siblings whole nonsense. They are supposed to be the side we choose if we believe in blood ties over bonds forged over time, and they aren't even your blood related siblings. That was clearly to again pander to that part of the fanbase who would be upset because marrying your actual blood related sibling is something that only happens in a couple of anime not even Genealogy could get away with it, and Seliph and Julia don't count. This isn't even counting the female armor designs literally showing off their asses for no reason. Awakening did this too, but it was not as bad and, again, this is pandering to the waifu demographic.

The children mechanic didn't mess up the story because they weren't really a part of it...and that was its own problem. They came up with the stupidest reason to include children purely as pandering. They served to do nothing for the plot, and make zero sense but there they are because of pandering. Fates really is the only FE game where you could say that pandering messed up its story though. Awakening was fine, just fine. Nothing amazing, but it wasn't bad unless you really hated everyone in the game. I'd rate it higher then Echoes purely because there wasn't really a seen that made me question the main character's brilliance.

1 minute ago, senior firehood said:

I expecting more drama! Fire Emblem ist 1000 times better then bollywood!

Yassss. Please give us fights that can compare to America's next top model!

8 hours ago, senior firehood said:

I expecting more drama! Fire Emblem ist 1000 times better then bollywood!

Disagreed.

Fire Emblem doesn't have enough dancing scenes. 

2 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

The one thing we can expect for certain is that the Lord character will wield swords.

Pretty much, its iconic where one of the Lords starting the game off wield swords (Micaiah being the only exception)

No predictions are best predictions. FE: High School Harem Drama Edition and FE: Dark Side of the Genealogy of Thracia, I will expect nothing and everything.

5 hours ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

Pretty much, its iconic where one of the Lords starting the game off wield swords (Micaiah being the only exception)

You mean the girl who got sidelined by a girl with a sword, and then kicked off a cliff by a blue blade boy?

On 4/1/2018 at 6:36 PM, YingofDarkness said:

To be fair, FE gameplay is not the most exciting to watch. Unlike Mario where you can show off flashy exploring and platforming action, FE is turn-based movements. Plot is free of this dullness.

On 4/2/2018 at 1:16 AM, redtutel said:

On 4/1/2018 at 8:21 PM, Blade Lord Lyn said:

It's all in the execution. Path of Radiance when praised gets praised for execution, when critiqued, it is for lacking ambition. Radiant Dawn and Fates have the ambition, but not the execution of the idea found in the ambition. Awakening- well it was somewhere between overly-safe and very ambitious, ambition being shoving in the Valm Arc and making the Avatar so important, lack of ambition being found in the Gemstones and a Dark Dragon with an Evil Cult and a Mad King.

It's hard to separate what I want from FE16 from what I expect FE16 to be. I'd like to believe my desires are realistic, but...  

Anyway. Here are 10 things I'm expecting from FE16:  

MECHANICS

1. Freeroaming. Ever since the scrapped ideas for Fire Emblem Wii (the one that was supposed to come after Radiant Dawn), the devs have clearly been hung up on the idea of non-grid based, non-turn restricted movement. Fates' My Castle was one such example; the dungeons in SoV are another. So I'm guessing the towns and/or dungeons to be like this again. Maybe they'll go full-out and make the world map a part of this, too?
  2. Turn mulligans. Mila's Turnwheel in SoV, Light's Blessings in FEH; it'll go by another name, but it'll definitely make a return for FE16. Hopefully in a less abuseable format. 
  3. Fatigue. Or, if not exactly that, something similar. Either a plot-related development or an actual mechanic that forces the player to switch out the units they used on the previous map. They brought it back in an insignificant manner for SoV, but it's worth noting that even FEH has modes where your units are "force-fatigued", namely, the Assault modes. 
  4. An "Ironman" gauntlet. By this, I refer to not just FEH's Tempest Trials/Chain Challenges, but also Thabes Labyrinth and the Tower of Valni/Lagdou Ruins. An area where you're forced to move through several consecutive maps/floors of increasing difficulty; and if you flee, you cannot resume from the map/floor you left off from. This would probably be a postgame area, but I imagine they'll include another one of these "challenges" in FE16, too.

AESTHETICS

1. Detailed clothing/hair/other textures. This much seems obvious. They've already stated in interviews that characters are going to be proportional, with smooth animations, after all. With the Switch's serious graphical improvements over the 3DS, it's doubtless that FE16 is going to be the most visually-appealing game in the franchise to date. The OST is going to be gorgeous too, probably.
  2. Voice acting. As a snappy way of endearing the cast to the player, the start-of-turn quotes are going to return. I'd expect a lot of the dialogue to be voiced, too. I can see them not voicing the support dialogue, though, as a matter of saving on file space and budget; and I'd be okay with that, I think.
  3. More of a personal wish than a prediction, but I'm hoping for a fresh artist behind the character designs. I appreciate Kozaki's talent, but I don't want FE as a franchise to ever get too attached to one artist. I love the fact that FE so far has changed artists with each console generation. It gives each gen its own distinct feel.

PLOT/THEMES

1. This part gets really hypothetical. But I'm guessing at dual lords again. Not just because of Alm/Celica; there's also Alfonse/Sharena and Rowan/Lianna, and also minor things like the fact that the two newest classes of skills in Cipher are both geared around pairs of lords (Hero Skills and Twin Skills). 
    • It's possible that all the spinoff works (Smash, TMS#FE, Warriors, Heroes) have hammered it in to the devs that there are too many sword lords. If so, perhaps we'll get two lords, neither of whom wield swords...? 
  2. Related to Cipher, the keyword, "Infinity"; and, if we give that one rumour any credit (and perhaps we shouldn't), "Elegy of the Brave" / "soldiers passing away". Someone else on the forums has suggested that this could mean reincarnation as a central theme, and I was thinking about that, myself. Between the multiple worlds/time-travelling that Awakening introduced, to the "what if things had been different? Buy the other routes to find out!" Fates loved to shove in our faces... FE has kind of been inching towards that "reincarnating star-crossed lovers" trope so common elsewhere in fantasy for a while now.
    • It works for Cipher. Make a new set of skills that activate from getting sent to the Retreat, or else manipulate the Retreat somehow. Bam. Synergizes as a splash for certain other decks, and also flavourfully reenacts themes from the core game. But I digress...
    • If there are two lords, assuming they share a bond of some sort, I expect them to come into conflict with each other. But rather than the cutscenes we got with, say, Alm and Celica, or the FE7 trio + Ninian, I'm thinking - or hoping, rather - that the conflict between these two lords are acted out through playable chaptersI'm thinking, of course, of Radiant Dawn's Ike v. Micaiah chapters, except this time, the two lords aren't so impersonal with each other. The lords can thus end up "killing" (or killing) each other, with the "reincarnation" theme somehow tying into all this. It could be the second game in the franchise where there are multiple lords, but where the lords do not join forces at the endgame... but this time, there's a route split instead of a generational gap.  
    • Reincarnation ties easily into two other mechanics: the already-mentioned turn mulligan mechanic is one. The other mechanic? Memory prisms. 
  3. This is a Fire Emblem game... but it'd be nice if, for once, the plot instigator wasn't going insane, or didn't have an innate desire to destroy all of humanity....

8 hours ago, domilea said:

It's hard to separate what I want from FE16 from what I expect FE16 to be. I'd like to believe my desires are realistic, but...  

Anyway. Here are 10 things I'm expecting from FE16:  

MECHANICS

1. Freeroaming. Ever since the scrapped ideas for Fire Emblem Wii (the one that was supposed to come after Radiant Dawn), the devs have clearly been hung up on the idea of non-grid based, non-turn restricted movement. Fates' My Castle was one such example; the dungeons in SoV are another. So I'm guessing the towns and/or dungeons to be like this again. Maybe they'll go full-out and make the world map a part of this, too?
  2. Turn mulligans. Mila's Turnwheel in SoV, Light's Blessings in FEH; it'll go by another name, but it'll definitely make a return for FE16. Hopefully in a less abuseable format. 
  3. Fatigue. Or, if not exactly that, something similar. Either a plot-related development or an actual mechanic that forces the player to switch out the units they used on the previous map. They brought it back in an insignificant manner for SoV, but it's worth noting that even FEH has modes where your units are "force-fatigued", namely, the Assault modes. 
  4. An "Ironman" gauntlet. By this, I refer to not just FEH's Tempest Trials/Chain Challenges, but also Thabes Labyrinth and the Tower of Valni/Lagdou Ruins. An area where you're forced to move through several consecutive maps/floors of increasing difficulty; and if you flee, you cannot resume from the map/floor you left off from. This would probably be a postgame area, but I imagine they'll include another one of these "challenges" in FE16, too.

AESTHETICS

1. Detailed clothing/hair/other textures. This much seems obvious. They've already stated in interviews that characters are going to be proportional, with smooth animations, after all. With the Switch's serious graphical improvements over the 3DS, it's doubtless that FE16 is going to be the most visually-appealing game in the franchise to date. The OST is going to be gorgeous too, probably.
  2. Voice acting. As a snappy way of endearing the cast to the player, the start-of-turn quotes are going to return. I'd expect a lot of the dialogue to be voiced, too. I can see them not voicing the support dialogue, though, as a matter of saving on file space and budget; and I'd be okay with that, I think.
  3. More of a personal wish than a prediction, but I'm hoping for a fresh artist behind the character designs. I appreciate Kozaki's talent, but I don't want FE as a franchise to ever get too attached to one artist. I love the fact that FE so far has changed artists with each console generation. It gives each gen its own distinct feel.

PLOT/THEMES

1. This part gets really hypothetical. But I'm guessing at dual lords again. Not just because of Alm/Celica; there's also Alfonse/Sharena and Rowan/Lianna, and also minor things like the fact that the two newest classes of skills in Cipher are both geared around pairs of lords (Hero Skills and Twin Skills). 
    • It's possible that all the spinoff works (Smash, TMS#FE, Warriors, Heroes) have hammered it in to the devs that there are too many sword lords. If so, perhaps we'll get two lords, neither of whom wield swords...? 
  2. Related to Cipher, the keyword, "Infinity"; and, if we give that one rumour any credit (and perhaps we shouldn't), "Elegy of the Brave" / "soldiers passing away". Someone else on the forums has suggested that this could mean reincarnation as a central theme, and I was thinking about that, myself. Between the multiple worlds/time-travelling that Awakening introduced, to the "what if things had been different? Buy the other routes to find out!" Fates loved to shove in our faces... FE has kind of been inching towards that "reincarnating star-crossed lovers" trope so common elsewhere in fantasy for a while now.
    • It works for Cipher. Make a new set of skills that activate from getting sent to the Retreat, or else manipulate the Retreat somehow. Bam. Synergizes as a splash for certain other decks, and also flavourfully reenacts themes from the core game. But I digress...
    • If there are two lords, assuming they share a bond of some sort, I expect them to come into conflict with each other. But rather than the cutscenes we got with, say, Alm and Celica, or the FE7 trio + Ninian, I'm thinking - or hoping, rather - that the conflict between these two lords are acted out through playable chaptersI'm thinking, of course, of Radiant Dawn's Ike v. Micaiah chapters, except this time, the two lords aren't so impersonal with each other. The lords can thus end up "killing" (or killing) each other, with the "reincarnation" theme somehow tying into all this. It could be the second game in the franchise where there are multiple lords, but where the lords do not join forces at the endgame... but this time, there's a route split instead of a generational gap.  
    • Reincarnation ties easily into two other mechanics: the already-mentioned turn mulligan mechanic is one. The other mechanic? Memory prisms. 
  3. This is a Fire Emblem game... but it'd be nice if, for once, the plot instigator wasn't going insane, or didn't have an innate desire to destroy all of humanity....

I like that you went more in depth with other stuff than the obvious stuff that others (even I) listed. I do believe there will be some kinda free roam since they wanted to do it with Fates but instead made it for dungeons in Echoes that seem like an indicator it'll be present one way like a 3D My Castle or by another name and other places. 

I'm not sure Fatigue will be back which I hope not it isn't necessary....VA I agree with I don't think it'll be fully voice especially in supports (not counting confessions or My Room since their short) where it'll obviously be alot of them maybe make the S Rank ones voiced that would be cool. Mostly for story stuff which is definitely more important there. I feel a "reincarnation" gimmick would be a little to complex to new players unless maybe tied to the outrealms of course the idea is unlikely imo but we'll see on that I like to see more about "Infinity' and what they'll potentially do with it that's more interesting.

21 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

To be fair, FE gameplay is not the most exciting to watch. Unlike Mario where you can show off flashy exploring and platforming action, FE is turn-based movements. Plot is free of this dullness.

That actually wasn't a critique although I can see why you would think that from the rest of my comment. My E3 comment was based on what they have been doing with other games for the last couple of years. They show a cutscene, have the developer talk, and only show minor amounts of gameplay for Nintendo's first party titles. This is because Treehouse will be streaming gameplay later on in the day ^^'