Fire Emblem Heroes: Zero RNG edition

Integrity

so i was talking to my son cat, as i do, and being a dick on the sf discord, as i do, and i had a thought

the Pelleas Guy, subsisting entirely off of free summons and saving every orb for pelleas, is a legend... but what if that was a challenge run? on the other hand, what if i pull a unit i really want on my main account? double my salt? no thanks, miss me with that shit.

well, the conversation that sparked this was how feh's lack of rng is actually the best random number system in fire emblem, so what about heroes... but with no rng whatsoever?

THEM RULES

nothing without a predetermined outcome is allowed. the free brave unit is legitimate because it's a guaranteed neutral/neutral of the exact unit chosen, but any summons (free or otherwise) are strictly forbidden. this means i'm living off of askrs, ghbs, tts if i can grind them, Three Heroes quests, fjorm, and of course Noble Sophia, Virion, Hana, Subaki, Donnel, Lissa, Gunter, Cecilia, Felicia, Wrys, Olivia, Stahl.

and matthew and raigh, i guess.

the goal?

achieve a checkmark sweep on the Story Maps tab. this means all difficulties of all story maps, paralogues, and chain challenges; as well as all squad assaults.

i will be cataloguing my travels in this thread as i feel like it. someday, in the grim far future that knows only war, i will dunk every orb this account makes on making a +10 just to leave on my friends list for posterity, or something.

Screenshot_2018-04-01-15-43-52.png

let's get it

3 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Good luck, Ike, what about stuff like refine stones, seals, arena and challenge maps. Will they be included/omitted?

seals, stones, all that junk i can grind for without summoning, and don't have any random effects

i guess if we're being deeply technical arena/leveling/tt/etc. maps have randomness, since you don't get predetermined enemies, but i'll probably let that one slide

At the least among early game units you’ll have Fjorm, BLyn, VIke, and a 1 star Olivia who can be grinded up with feathers.  Using that core unit selection, I think you’ll only prove that spending money on this game is a dumb idea.

I vaguely remember someone trying for a 1 star only campaign clear.  I don’t remember how far they got.

4 minutes ago, Bubba Jones said:

At the least among early game units you’ll have Fjorm, BLyn, VIke, and a 1 star Olivia who can be grinded up with feathers.  Using that core unit selection, I think you’ll only prove that spending money on this game is a dumb idea.

I vaguely remember someone trying for a 1 star only campaign clear.  I don’t remember how far they got.

F2P is very possible, so I don't see your point.

10 minutes ago, eclipse said:

F2P is very possible, so I don't see your point.

I guess the point is that it doesn’t look as difficult as it would at first blush since anything can be accomplished if you wait long enough for more resources to arrive.

With just the free heroes there is a varied unit selection he can build to get through most of the campaign and associated content.  The only obstacles are going to be time, skill inheritance, and roster size which will probably make squad assault much more difficult.

I suppose the one thing I’d be interested in (other than the amusing anecdotes this challenge will create) and the biggest metric of success would be time or how long it will take to finish the full story clear since that is the biggest advantage this challenge gives up.

23 minutes ago, Bubba Jones said:

I guess the point is that it doesn’t look as difficult as it would at first blush since anything can be accomplished if you wait long enough for more resources to arrive.

With just the free heroes there is a varied unit selection he can build to get through most of the campaign and associated content.  The only obstacles are going to be time, skill inheritance, and roster size which will probably make squad assault much more difficult.

I suppose the one thing I’d be interested in (other than the amusing anecdotes this challenge will create) and the biggest metric of success would be time or how long it will take to finish the full story clear since that is the biggest advantage this challenge gives up.

He's also missing a lot of SI options.  Bartre/Hinata were already Three Heroes units, so Fury's out until Jagen/Legion.  IIRC, Aether is only on 4* or higher units.  The only accessible Brave weapon is Donnel's.  No Pain staff.  And so on.

This will be both painful and interesting.

Good luck! But wait, is the free Brave Hero still available? Cause if it is, I may join you on the F2P journey, give me an excuse to play Heroes again, since I stopped before the Brave Heroes stuff.

29 minutes ago, Azz said:

Good luck! But wait, is the free Brave Hero still available? Cause if it is, I may join you on the F2P journey, give me an excuse to play Heroes again, since I stopped before the Brave Heroes stuff.

as of right now, i have (and hell, a good progress report, since my stamina is dunked):

fully built castle

5*: roy, fjorm, radiant ike

2*: alf, rena, anna, raigh, virion, matthew, subaki

1*: subaki

focusing on getting a core team to at least 30 or so so that i can capitalize on any ghbs that pop up and at least get the 3s

open question for the thread

rival domains are a legitimate non-rng experience, should friend units be usable to finish it as a source of income or should they not be? this also affects people visiting Wayne Rooney's Castle and giving him ten feathers every day

Edited by Integrity

i feel like most of the fun of this is how limiting the situation is, i think a lot of the novelty is lost if wayne rooney can just borrow my level 50 serra and The Draug etc.  i think it'd be best if you stuck to your own units for rival domains

Edited by unique

3 minutes ago, Laura said:

im bullying the person who said they would be done with the translation

oh okay nice same i accepted his bet that it would be done by the new year with the penalty that he would be banned if not

he did not contact me in january.

1 minute ago, Integrity said:

oh okay nice same i accepted his bet that it would be done by the new year with the penalty that he would be banned if not

he did not contact me in january.

be like me, annoy them till they get it done

3 minutes ago, Laura said:

be like me, annoy them till they get it done

nah i just left his discord instead because i was secondhand embarrassed

1 minute ago, Integrity said:

nah i just left his discord instead because i was secondhand embarrassed

was it secret forest is this why they dont want mods there