Nébulya

Hello everyone! (no I didn't have a lot of ideas for the title, that's not true...)

I'm here to have some advice on my first full custom sprite I made. (I followed a bit of Bwd Yeti's tutorial in the beginning, mostly for drawing the figure and the palette, then I just did everything by myself the second time)

So three days ago, i started to sprite (after years of wanting to do full custom) and today, i finally came to something (mostly because I had time today).

I had Ephraim's sprite has a model (so if there is a bit of ressemblance then it is because of that, as i drawn my character by following a bit of Ephraim's model)

Here is a .jpg of my character (to reduce the upload size) 

The 1st refer to my first attempt, where I had a really weird weapon at first, so I just decided to change it...And then I only kept the scythe before drawing everything from scratch. (i didn't like what I had, and I saw I was going the wrong way so...yeah)

Finally, the second attempt is my final one, where I managed to draw a better figure (it was really easier) and just evolved it step by step, keeping one copy of every key steps in case i failed something (to prevent doing it from scratch, even if i did that the first time..well it was really too ugly xD)

I admit I had some difficulty for the body at the beginning, so that's why the entire character needed to be done from scratch.

How does he looks like right now? Any advice for me, as I'm a beginner? I'm someone who loves to learn by myself, but any advice is a blessing :D by the way, i'm belgian, so if someone is french you can answer back in this language ^^ (i did learn german, nederlands and spanish too but as i forgot a lot since then, it'll really be weird xD)

Show sprite.jpg

So I edited my sprite to include the shadows of the character and to improve the look (i hope i did it right though) I deleted a few colors to include the human face  :)

This character has a human face, and a less human face as you can see.

At the moment, it's my final product so I really want some advice to improve and correct some errors i've made. 

Show final sprite.jpg

Edited by Metakirby

First off, don't save as a JPG. It ruins the integrity of the image file by compressing it, which creates artifacts. With stuff like spriting, where color counts matter, you really don't want artifacts scrambling your color count to hell. Save as a GIF or PNG - preferably the latter.

15 minutes ago, Teapot said:

First off, don't save as a JPG. It ruins the integrity of the image file by compressing it, which creates artifacts. With stuff like spriting, where color counts matter, you really don't want artifacts scrambling your color count to hell. Save as a GIF or PNG - preferably the latter.

It was an advice from someone, to prevent my work being stolen so I did it on purpose. ^^ (because I know that, I just saved this one to jpg to post it here!) 

Edited by Metakirby

11 hours ago, Teapot said:

Let me clarify - it makes it near impossible to critique pixel art when it's that badly compressed.

Well i was going to reupload it after my work so that's why i didn't show it earlier, i was just explaining why I saved it as .jpg so please wait until i fix it :) 

Here is the .png one. 

show final sprite.png