Your opinion on Seasonals

Poimagic

What do you think of seasonals?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion on them

• Like them
    • Dislike them
    • Don’t care

I'm going to put myself under the "don't care" category.

When they first came out, I hated them pretty passionately. I'm not a huge fan of seeing characters I like with ridiculous costumes acting out of character. I would much rather see new characters added to the main summoning pool since FE has a huge cast with plenty of characters that haven't even been touched. I mean...it took over a year just to add all the main lords to the game (and even though we know Leif is coming, we're still waiting for him). 

But I think I started to warm up to them when the PA banner came around. As far as alts go, I definitely prefer seeing characters in "what-if" scenarios. So Dancer!Inigo and Singer!Shigure made me very, very happy. I wasn't even upset with Dark Azura since she's still Azura without all the seasonal goofiness, but still with a different costume. I'm one of those people who doesn't mind the mage Eirika or helpful Chrom we got. (Even if I still would have rather gotten a new character over an alt.) If "seasonals" were just limited banners with 4 characters that had normal and not holiday-centric alternate costumes, I'd be fine with that. Folks could still have their fanservice and OP armors, and maybe we'd be able to keep more alts away from the regular banners. 

Something I can appreciate is that IS does have some fun with the characters while keeping them kind of in character. I appreciate Chrom's bemoaning of his predicament with each new seasonal alt, and Leo's saltiness. I especially appreciate that Anna acknowledges that this is just a cash grab in several paralogues. And recently with the Love Abounds banner, I found it touching. 

So the tl;dr version is, I'm not a fan of seasonals, but IS has proven that they won't always just do goofy costumes, so that's cool. I'm mostly indifferent because they're inevitable. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

The problem with adding the dual stat up skills to limited characters is that it wastes a skill slot that could have been used for a more lucrative skill. It's wasted because these are skills that are pretty much required to make their way into the standard summoning pool (because it's dumb if a completely unimpressive skill is also limited), and putting the skill on a standard character is more efficient for getting the skills out of the way than putting the skill on a limited character and having to reprise the skill on a standard character later.

I would argue the opposite. These are skills that no one should ever want and only pollute the regular pool even more. What's the harm if they are released much later or not even at all? In comparision all the passives we discussed so far have some value to them, be it somewhat specific. I'm pretty sure the general playerbase appreciates these more than generic stat-ups in the pool.

Plus they are exactly doing that though afaik they dump them on TT/GHB characters which are imo good targets as well. Atk/Def, Atk/Res and Hp/Def were all re-released.

On the other hand, Bold Fighter and Vengeful Fighter got into the standard pool just two months after their debut on a limited banner.

If you cherry pick your examples, you can easily make them look agreeably fast or painfully slow at adding things to the game.

Meanwhile (to name some relevant ones)
- Warding Stance 3 (only 1&2 are available from Morgan and Ike)
- Atk Res Bond
- Spd Res Bond
- Brazen Atk/Spd
- Brazen Atk/Def
are still unreleased. Naming 2 examples seems more like cherry-picking, no? Sure these 2 armor skills are way more relevant but there is still the sheer quantity of semi-relevant passives.

The only annoying thing to me is that they limit the weapon pool because nowadays if it isn't a legendary (or a serpent) it is on a seasonal. I mean sure most Seasonal weapon effects are pretty weak, but there are some rather terrible examples, the worst for this is daggers with a wo-dao effect, a killer effect and a dagger effective against mages are all seasonal locked, this makes daggers very difficult to build effectively because three of its most powerful weapons are very rare, there is also Alphonse Wo-dao axe and the Christmas units weapons and the Ylissean summer weapons, all fun affects to work with that aren't available to almost every player 

Character wise, it depends on the outfits they wear. I still hate the bunny outfits and I'm not too fond of skimpy swimsuits, but performing arts and love abounds were great. I'm not taking character representation into account because everyone has varying tastes in favourites and I don't expect IS to pander to me all the time.

Gameplay wise, I hate the entire concept of locking premium skills to limited characters. I know the skills will make it to the regular pool eventually but it takes a really long time for that, and the inheritable weapons will likely never be made non-limited. Worse is when they lock a meta defining unit behind the limited restriction. I really wish these banners weren't so frequent. The only good thing to come out of it is slowing down the oversaturation of the 5* pool.

As of this moment only half of the voters like them, a fifth dislike them and about a quarter don't care. Only 79 have voted. Maybe this topic should be brought to reddit

I normally don't pull for them unless they have a "cool" outfit, but aside from locking unique skills behind limited-edition characters, I don't see the issue with seasonals.

This is a fanservice game. Not much makes sense here, and it doesn't have to. Tharja in skimpy clothes in winter? Go ahead, allow the silly. Tiki in a bikini? Sure, I don't care about my favorite FE character in a bikini, but it's a treat to those who do. And the dancer banner was very nice, too; I actually summoned on that.

7 hours ago, Zeratul said:

I would argue the opposite. These are skills that no one should ever want and only pollute the regular pool even more. What's the harm if they are released much later or not even at all? In comparision all the passives we discussed so far have some value to them, be it somewhat specific. I'm pretty sure the general playerbase appreciates these more than generic stat-ups in the pool.

I'm of the opinion that all inheritable skills should be available from the standard pool (or Legendary Heroes because those are currently guaranteed to be reprised) except for those specifically meant to be event limited.

Live for Honor and Live for Bounty are the two skills that appear to be designed to be event limited, and I would go so far as to say that Experience, Valor, and even Dance skills are acceptable to remain event limited even if they do eventually find their way into the standard pool.

9 hours ago, Zeratul said:

Meanwhile (to name some relevant ones)
- Warding Stance 3 (only 1&2 are available from Morgan and Ike)
- Atk Res Bond
- Spd Res Bond
- Brazen Atk/Spd
- Brazen Atk/Def
are still unreleased.

Warding Stance 3 and Atk/Res Bond are the only two of those that aren't recent skill releases since those were released with Trick or Defeat and are the only two that I would say are, in fact, overdue. Warding Stance isn't exactly high priority because it's a relatively lackluster skill (Mirror Stance and Warding Breath are typically better), but I've personally been annoyed at Atk/Res Bond being overdue simply because Jeorge and Innes would both love to have it (Jeorge can make do with Mirror Stance or Fierce Stance, but Innes really wants Atk/Res Bond).

Brazen Atk/Spd and Brazen Atk/Def are only from 3 and a half months ago. Swift Sparrow took 2 and a half months to be added to the standard summoning pool, and that was with the release of Sturdy Blow as only the second dual Blow skill in the same banner. In context, I don't think the Brazen skills are at all behind schedule.

Spd/Res Bond was literally released on the most recent new character banner, so it's obvious it won't be on a standard-pool character quite yet.

If you really want overdue, the example to pick is Swift Strike, which is still only available from Summer Corrin, but that's also a low-priority skill to add to the standard pool.

As far as I can tell, the skills that are actually in high demand, like Swift Sparrow, Bold Fighter, Vengeful Fighter, Close Def, and Distant Def are the ones that typically make it to the standard pool the fastest.

9 hours ago, Zeratul said:

Naming 2 examples seems more like cherry-picking, no? Sure these 2 armor skills are way more relevant but there is still the sheer quantity of semi-relevant passives.

You missed the point of my argument, which was simply that it's possible to cherry-pick examples to skew things in any direction.

On one hand, they kind of bug me since that's effort that could go to adding more to the permanent pool. Just, it'd be nice if not every month was a seasonal. I think in the grand scheme the normal pool still outweighs it,  obviously, Like there's "only" ~39 (+2 tempests) but it does start to wear on you especially since we're down to 3 permanent additions (with the 4th going into GHB, tempests, legends) and one of those 3 is a variant. And the whole state of 5* vs 4* vs 3* pools, but that's a different topic. I mean I get it really, I do, game has to get money, limited time mostly popular characters in funny outfits keeps the game going, but still.

On the other hand I love the series having fun with itself and all the seasonals are good fun. Designs are usually great (even if their criteria for armor is...suspect...) and the voice work fantastic and it's hard to stay mad a at a game that brought us Alfonse in a bunny outfit using an easter egg in a spoon as an axe that hatches into bunnies.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

If you really want overdue, the example to pick is Swift Strike, which is still only available from Summer Corrin, but that's also a low-priority skill to add to the standard pool.

That's why I didn't name the more irrelevant ones otherwise Spd Res Plus is suffering the same problem (which comes from Elise).

Brazen Atk/Spd and Brazen Atk/Def are only from 3 and a half months ago. Swift Sparrow took 2 and a half months to be added to the standard summoning pool, and that was with the release of Sturdy Blow as only the second dual Blow skill in the same banner. In context, I don't think the Brazen skills are at all behind schedule.

I would argue that the former is relevant enough for a quicker release like Swift Sparrow. Brazen Def/Res was released on Hardin not that much longer and there will be more of them sooner or later.
That massive bonus just begs to be abused in one way another with Desperation or class buffs for +13 stat increases, even though it requires more setup than say Fury + Desperation or LnD + Desperation.

Spd/Res Bond was literally released on the most recent new character banner, so it's obvious it won't be on a standard-pool character quite yet.

Meant Spd/Def Bond from NY!Camilla, my bad.

but Innes really wants Atk/Res Bond

The reason why I am upset with this practice (at least I got a H!Nowi from the Legendary Banner).

Edited by Zeratul

7 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

As of this moment only half of the voters like them, a fifth dislike them and about a quarter don't care. Only 79 have voted. Maybe this topic should be brought to reddit

Or a Strawpoll so all FEH communities can vote.

9 minutes ago, r_n said:

Just, it'd be nice if not every month was a seasonal.

To be entirely fair, we've gotten only 9 limited banners in 12 months (counting Spring Festival through Love Abounds), so we've had 3 months without limited banners excluding months before the first limited banner. Hares at the Fair is only the tenth limited banner.

4 minutes ago, Zeratul said:

That's why I didn't name the more irrelevant ones otherwise Spd Res Plus is suffering the same problem (which comes from Elise).

I mean, I'd also argue Warding Stance to be low priority because there are way better options (Distant Def, Close Def, Warding Breath, and Mirror Stance), so that mostly leaves Atk/Res Bond as the most overdue skill.

5 minutes ago, Zeratul said:

I would argue that the former is relevant enough for a quicker release like Swift Sparrow. Brazen Def/Res was released on Hardin not that much longer and there will be more of them sooner or later.
That massive bonus just begs to be abused in one way another with Desperation or class buffs for +13 stat increases, even though it requires more setup than say Fury + Desperation or LnD + Desperation.

I think the setup is the biggest hindrance for it to be relevant.

The current Arena meta favors first-round performance and mobility Assist skills, both of which hold back Brazen skills, which lack first-round performance without access to a healing Assist skill (and still requires another unit to take a round of combat first). Guaranteeing that you'll take enough damage without dying is also kind of annoying sometimes.

+4~5 Atk and Spd all the time (Swift Sparrow 2, Life and Death 3, Atk/Spd Bond 3) is typically more valuable than +0 Atk and Spd on the first round of combat and +7 Atk and Spd after that.

14 minutes ago, Zeratul said:

Meant Spd/Def Bond from NY!Camilla, my bad.

Ah. That's even more recent than the Winter's Envoy skills, though.

17 minutes ago, Zeratul said:

The reason why I am upset with this practice

Well, at least Atk/Res Bond is the only Bond skill that has so far been reprised, even if it was on another limited character. That's some hope that we might see it again.

I think Atk/Res Bond is probably the most relevant Bond skill in the game right now because it has the two stats that matter the most to enemy-phase Litrowl users not running Close Counter.

28 minutes ago, Zeratul said:

(at least I got a H!Nowi from the Legendary Banner)

I don't have any left over after merging mine, and I'm not missing out on a +10 merge by 1 merge just to pass a skill to someone else. /firstworldproblems

Personally, I like them. Prefer seeing original characters of course, but I like seeing characters in new outfits. If I have a complaint, it's availability and favoritism towards the 3DS games. Although it looks like they may have taken some constructive criticism in regards to the 3DS characters, given Love Abounds and our current Spring Festival. I would never advocate that they leave 3DS characters out of seasonal banners, I just want them to mix their banners a little, like they did with Bridal and the 2nd Spring Festival.

As far as availability goes, while it wouldn't be much, it'd be nice if previous seasonals could be included as off-focus summons in other seasonal banners. You still probably wouldn't see them much, if at all, but it'd be nice if they were at least floating around in some form.

Fun fact, I actually dreamed of a Witch Nowi months before the actual Trick or Defeat banner was ever revealed. She had far more clothes on in the dream though...

Spoiler

Anyways, I like seasonals. Ignoring the 12 free orbs, it's always interesting to see what everyone dresses up like and what ridiculous weapons we get as well (most ridiculous by far is Hectors Berzerk Armads, in the context of the seasonal), and the scenarios presented in the paralogues are interesting.

I Don't like how most seasonals now has to have at least one Valor skill though. Out of the 7 Valor skills that come from seasonal units, I missed 3 of them in their original seasonal runs (Lance, Dagger, and G Tome, only recently got Dagger and G Tome and still missing Lance), one of them I had to go heavy summoning to get even one copy of (RTV), one took a good while of summoning via free orbs and small orb transactions to get (Bow Val), and I don't even know how I was lucky enough to get Axe Valor and Blue Tome Valor as easily as I did. It'd be one thing if they were purely event exclusive skills, but Sword Valor is the one Valor that is not only not an event exclusive (5* locked at least), but is also on two separate units.

I can be okay with a skill being seasonal exclusive like Vengeful Fighter or Swift Sparrow were, because they'll appear again on normal units down the line. I'm also okay with the Live for Bounty/Honor skills being seasonal exclusive.

The same can be said for the EXP skills, which used to be only on seasonals, but are now also on normal units (2 of them being 4* available).

Edited by Xenomata

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

To be entirely fair, we've gotten only 9 limited banners in 12 months (counting Spring Festival through Love Abounds), so we've had 3 months without limited banners excluding months before the first limited banner. Hares at the Fair is only the tenth limited banner.

Yeah if you link it along it's really not that bad. Like I said of the 233 or so characters in the game, only 41 are seasonals. It just feels notable since we only get 2 a month and the game's only been around for a little over a year. There's other issues with the summoning pools and it's just easy to make seasonals a scape goat

The only thing there is that each one lasts pretty much a whole month, which means that special banners are what we see more than any other banner type. It's pretty riddick, if you ask me.

12 hours ago, Raven said:

The only thing there is that each one lasts pretty much a whole month, which means that special banners are what we see more than any other banner type. It's pretty riddick, if you ask me.

And in all fairness, two weeks isn't long enough to hunt for seasonal characters -- even if there are no other banners you care for. Back on the New Years banner, it took me until a week before the banner ended to get Takumi, the one I cared about the most, and there are lots of people who don't ever pull that unit they're looking for even with a month. I think making seasonal banners a month is definitely a good thing.

However ... I wouldn't mind if the number of seasonal banners were to decrease, even if slightly. For example, did we really need two summer banners? And did the performing arts banner really need to be seasonal, especially now that we've been getting character alts? Just ... things like that. If I recall correctly, I think last May was a seasonal-free month, perhaps it will be this year as well. What even is in May?

26 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

And did the performing arts banner really need to be seasonal, especially now that we've been getting character alts?

There is an expression in Japanese- "Fall of the Arts"- so this is actually aligned directly with a season.

But yeah it does with stuff like Exalted Chrom and Zelgius seem like it'd now be capable of retconning to a normal banner. Not that they would ever actually do this.

30 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

However ... I wouldn't mind if the number of seasonal banners were to decrease, even if slightly. For example, did we really need two summer banners? And did the performing arts banner really need to be seasonal, especially now that we've been getting character alts? Just ... things like that. If I recall correctly, I think last May was a seasonal-free month, perhaps it will be this year as well. What even is in May?

Japan has Children's Day in May. Say hello to a new Nowi variant. (Or Gen 2 Genealogy Banner.) And also a Greenery Day, so meet FEH's new gardener- Green Thumb: Frederick. Or they could do Hanami- the Japanese March-May festival of flower-viewing, in particular cherry blossoms. So four variants of Sakura for this one.

The US has Mother's Day, but the rest of the world has this at a different times of year and Japan doesn't have it at all, so I doubt they'd do this.

Or they could get a jumpstart on June and begin Bridal Blessings 2 early, if they wanted to give us some new Brides, or some Grooms.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Japan has Children's Day in May. Say hello to a new Nowi variant. (Or Gen 2 Genealogy Banner.) And also a Greenery Day, so meet FEH's new gardener- Green Thumb: Frederick. Or they could do Hanami- the Japanese March-May festival of flower-viewing, in particular cherry blossoms. So four variants of Sakura for this one.

The US has Mother's Day, but the rest of the world has this at a different times of year and Japan doesn't have it at all, so I doubt they'd do this.

Or they could get a jumpstart on June and begin Bridal Blessings 2 early, if they wanted to give us some new Brides, or some Grooms.

May contains Golden Week in Japan. We got our first Hero Fest last year for that.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

There is an expression in Japanese- "Fall of the Arts"- so this is actually aligned directly with a season.

But yeah it does with stuff like Exalted Chrom and Zelgius seem like it'd now be capable of retconning to a normal banner. Not that they would ever actually do this.

Hmm, fair enough on that. Although it's kind of sucky that 5/8 dancers are seasonal, 7/8 are 5-star only, and 5/8 are the same two characters repeated. Even if the performance arts banner is technically aligned with a season, it'd be nice if they used it to get more dancers into the regular pool this year.

But it really does feel like they should be alts at this point. I mean ... mage!Eirika was never a thing, and canonically do we even know if she has magical potential? And yet, she is in the regular summonable pool. On the other hand, dancer!Inigo certainly is a thing that was discussed in-story/supports, and PA!Azura canonically exists.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

May contains Golden Week in Japan. We got our first Hero Fest last year for that.

Oh, was the first Hero Fest in May? I'm really losing track of the months and events. I guess I'm just wondering if they'd really add a new seasonal banner in May when the first month didn't have one.

4 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Even if the performance arts banner is technically aligned with a season, it'd be nice if they used it to get more dancers into the regular pool this year.

Well our options for normal dancers are:

1. Phina- the original Dancer, and Olivia's mother-clone.
  2. Silvia- they could change her from Sword to Staff b/c Minor Bragi Blood.
  3. Lene- same comments as Silvia.
  4. Laylea- she has nothing to her, other than being the only way to obtain the Barrier Sword, and Charisma.
  5. Lara- a Dagger Dancer b/c she starts a Thief and class changes to Dancer.
  6. Larum- has no weapon in FE6, so she could get anything.
  7. Elffin- could use a Tome in reference to Jugdrali Bards (which opens the possibility of doing the opposite and making Lewyn and Homer Sing units).
  8. Nils!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want him. Another Blue Breath unit to boot.
  9. Tethys- has no weapon nor anything really unique to her. She could use a Red Tome in reference to the SS glitch, but Gleipnirika used up that reference already.
  10. Reyson- a flying dancer, with a pretty nice personality and some plot importance. But he can't get in until they invent a weapon type for Laguz, not so much for him, he can get Blue Tome or Staff, but because once you let a Heron or Dragon Laguz in, people will be asking for the Beasts and Birds.
  11. Leanne- just like her brother.
  12. Rafiel- can't fly like siblings/10.

Besides the aforementioned turning of Lewyn into a Forseti Singer, and Homer into a Lightning Singer, they could do something with TMS. Everyone playable in that game sings at some point, though not so much Touma since he doesn't outside of the Opera of Light Fire Emblem, which everyone joins in on. Eleonora like Touma is more an actor than a singer, but she does have the Dream Catcher number with Tsubasa. Kiria, Tsubasa, Yashiro, Mamori and Tiki can all sing notably well. Itsuki isn't special at singing, but his Strike A Pose skill, which gives everyone a second action on their turn for one turn, is as close as TMS has to a traditional FE refresher. Itsuki could be a Falchion refresher, which doesn't sound like a terrible combo.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well our options for normal dancers are:

1. (snip)
  2. Silvia- they could change her from Sword to Staff b/c Minor Bragi Blood.
  3. Lene- same comments as Silvia.

Based on how healers work in this game, I don't think it's possible to have a healing dancer at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Elffin- could use a Tome in reference to Jugdrali Bards (which opens the possibility of doing the opposite and making Lewyn and Homer Sing units).

That's like saying Ike should be a cavalry archer in reference to Magvel's Ranger class. The two are different classes that just happen to be named the same thing in at least one language.

4 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Based on how healers work in this game, I don't think it's possible to have a healing dancer at the moment.

Forgot that. Unless they invent a Regen Waltz- a heal and another turn. A strictly better Sing/Dance, but worse as a healing skill if a characters needs a patch up before they attack.

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's like saying Ike should be a cavalry archer in reference to Magvel's Ranger class. The two are different classes that just happen to be named the same thing in at least one language.

It's only a weapon, not a horse and bow. And Elffin has no weapon as is, inventing a Harp category just for him would be absurd. But he needs a weapon in FEH, so what should he get? A Sword is boring, he is physically frail so I'd rule out Lances and Axes, so Daggers or Bows, or Staffs, or Tomes, and Tomes has a basis in something in FE as a whole, which is better than nothing.  

The Lewyn suggestion was mostly intended of finding away to not make Lewyn obsoleted by Ced, assuming he comes later and stronger. Or, they could remedy that by making a second Gen 2 Forseti-possessed Lewyn to powercreep Ced. Homer just got tossed in there.

And specifically on the Ranger issue. Not that you expressly say the two Rangers have the same name in all languages, but just to clarify:

Horseless Ranger

The Ranger class in The Sacred Stones was called “Forrest Knight” in the Japanese version (the same class that appeared in Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776), so the Ranger class in this game is thus a new class. A similar argument applies to this game’s Cleric and Valkyrie classes (the ones in previous games were called “Sister” and “Valkyria” in the Japanese version).

Ranger (フォレストナイト Foresuto naito)

Ranger (レンジャー Renjā)

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's only a weapon, not a horse and bow. And Elffin has no weapon as is, inventing a Harp category just for him would be absurd. But he needs a weapon in FEH, so what should he get? A Sword is boring, he is physically frail so I'd rule out Lances and Axes, so Daggers or Bows, or Staffs, or Tomes, and Tomes has a basis in something in FE as a whole, which is better than nothing.  

The Lewyn suggestion was mostly intended of finding away to not make Lewyn obsoleted by Ced, assuming he comes later and stronger. Or, they could remedy that by making a second Gen 2 Forseti-possessed Lewyn to powercreep Ced. Homer just got tossed in there.

Giving Elphin a tome has nothing to do with giving Levn, Sety, or Homeros the ability to Dance or Sing. They have different classes that happen to have the same name, and what you do with one class has no bearing on what happens to the other.

And you can always differentiate units from each other by giving them different stat spreads, even if they have the same weapon.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And specifically on the Ranger issue. Not that you expressly say the two Rangers have the same name in all languages, but just to clarify:

Well aware. I'm the guy who actually has to look up the English names of things to make sure I'm getting them right in English because I've only ever played the games in Japanese.

And that's exactly why I specifically mentioned "in at least one language". Because I'm damned well aware that at least one language (Japanese) has them different from each other.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Giving Elphin a tome has nothing to do with giving Levn, Sety, or Homeros the ability to Dance or Sing. They have different classes that happen to have the same name, and what you do with one class has no bearing on what happens to the other.

And you can always differentiate units from each other by giving them different stat spreads, even if they have the same weapon.

Fair enough on the stats spread point.

And I wasn't being overly serious about giving Lewyn and Homer Sing. Forseti, assuming they don't make it holy bloody trash and keep a few of Lewyn's stat points outside of his Speed, should be enough for him to be competent to the game's death after you toss on whatever skills they have in mind that day. And if it isn't the powers of weapon refinement and SI fix that.

Forseti!Sing!Lewyn was just a little creative thought, and Homer just so happened to share Lewyn's class. They can give Homer - Tome Experience/Valor, and you get a free Stamina Potion every time you summon him if they wanted to make a little reference to his starting inventory in T776.