Cultural variants on classes?

Lord_Brand

Fates gave us a bunch of class dualities between the Europe-inspired Nohr and the Japan-inspired Hoshido to represent different cultural variants. Cool concept, but what if they made it possible for different culture factions to share classes, using different styles of armor following a particular layout code? For example, Fighters wear armor on one arm, but in Nohr that would be European plate while in Hoshido it would be more Samurai-esque panel. Or there could be a Greco-Roman faction with Gladiator-esque Fighters, or a Middle Eastern faction with Fighters that were more deserty garb, and so forth. Cavaliers would be mounted knights in Nohr and mounted samurai in Hoshido. Myrmidons would be fencers in Nohr and samurai in Hoshido. I'd thought of this idea for a Zelda/FE game where you have Hylians, Sheikah, and Gerudo each following clear cultural inspirations, and felt allowing overlaps with cultural distinction would make the classes easier to work with. So far however I like the idea of each tribe getting unique starting classes, with friendship class sharing like in Fates.

Of course, this does make each faction feel less distinct mechanically, but each faction could get a different set of classes to which its own units have access. I suppose it depends on the number of factions within a given game; a title like Fates can handle distinct classes for each faction, but a game with 4-5 factions might have to resort to the aesthetic distinction.

Edited by Lord_Brand

26 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The Fire Emblem series has gone far too long without Vikings of some sort.

Berserkers are a Viking thing, and have been around since FE6 (and earlier). They even have horns on their helmets (even when actual vikings never did, but that doesn't matter, it's fantasy). Also, Valkyries are a viking thing, as are Einherjar in Awakening and Fates. The influence is already there, they just need to take it further.

1 hour ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Berserkers are a Viking thing, and have been around since FE6 (and earlier). They even have horns on their helmets (even when actual vikings never did, but that doesn't matter, it's fantasy). Also, Valkyries are a viking thing, as are Einherjar in Awakening and Fates. The influence is already there, they just need to take it further.

I more meant we've never seen a cultural group resembling the Vikings. Though while we're listing, Dice also rocks a pretty Viking look, http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Dice

I'd like this, or have comparable classes with their own exotic flairs, such as each racial faction having a sword, lance, axe (etc) infantry. They could do a lot of visual story telling by showing who is involved in a battle, just from how they look.

I'm still miffed that not!Japan Hoshido didn't get any cavalry, in particular cavalry archers. No, they have to ride puppets and peacocks, those hipsters.

Rather than make Master of Arms a Great Knight without a horse, I think I would have liked a mounted unit that used Swords, Bows, and Lances, the three classic Samurai weapons. I'd probably call it Shogun. As a bonus, it could still promote from either Samurai or Villager, though I think Spear Fighter would be a better base Lance wielder for a military unit.

Edited by Lord_Brand