Samias Resorts to Drawing Live to Stay Inspired

Samias

I can't talk about my work thing that I worked as a designer on yet but I finally decided to do some more art at home lately and just haven't posted anything in an age and a half! I drew some D&D inspired cats before I left work. I post nearly everything to my tumblr and/or twitter. And now I also have my Twitch channel so people can pop in and chat and request songs whenever I'm live!

tumblr_p0o99hOd1K1qixsfqo1_1280.png

tumblr_p0fgwi7r7B1qixsfqo1_1280.png

tumblr_p0fbqkHOhC1qixsfqo1_1280.png

tumblr_p09hor4xjZ1qixsfqo1_1280.png

tumblr_p07m9kKliP1qixsfqo1_1280.png

I then started to de-rust by drawing my Shadowrun OC, Sora.

tumblr_p62g10edFi1qixsfqo1_1280.png

My mage-y OC, Juno.

tumblr_p6dkn0YfOZ1qixsfqo1_1280.png

I drew a title card for my stream too! With a modernized version of my Ragnarok character, Xyra.

tumblr_p6qj7aGyg01qixsfqo1_1280.png

And then I did a silly old OC retrospective where I talked about lore and told some goofy origin stories!

The very old, musty version:

tumblr_p6wr3g9ITt1qixsfqo2_1280.png

And the shiny, new version!

tumblr_p6wr3g9ITt1qixsfqo1_1280.png

Neat artwork. The cats make me think of some sort of cat based D&D table top games. Kind of like Mice and Mystics, but with cats.

I've been meaning to do the same with my guitar playing, but I keep coming up with reasons to not stream and stuff.

So if I have any advice: Don't make excuses, just stream and hope it keeps you inspired.

Edited by Slumber

9 hours ago, Slumber said:

Neat artwork. The cats make me think of some sort of cat based D&D table top games. Kind of like Mice and Mystics, but with cats.

I've been meaning to do the same with my guitar playing, but I keep coming up with reasons to not stream and stuff.

So if I have any advice: Don't make excuses, just stream and hope it keeps you inspired.

Oh yeah. I'm starting to set up a schedule so I can continually post just more stuff in general and be a bit more active like I used to be.

6 hours ago, Elieson said:

Samias is back, and somehow better than ever :D

What insipired the recent animal artwork?

I just wanted to draw cute kitties to be honest! My work friends and I were passing cat doodles back and forth through our group chat. All the cats involved were based off my cats, my family's cats and my friend's cats. I was also having a hard time drawing non chibis as my work has been focused on unrealistic proportions for a pretty long time now. I really want to talk about the show I worked on more but somehow I've been working on cute dinosaur related things for the better part of a year.

6 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Poor guy who forgot the cookies!

Loving the D&D kitties! KITTIES RULE!

Thank you!

WoaH! These be preeetty good!

What do you use to draw? (on computer)

I have an Intous tablet, but I just cant seem to get used to it. The tablet has no screen, and I have a hard time looking from my tablet to my computer and trying to figure out what parts of the tablet draws where.

Edited by Tuvy

13 hours ago, Tuvy said:

WoaH! These be preeetty good!

What do you use to draw? (on computer)

I have an Intous tablet, but I just cant seem to get used to it. The tablet has no screen, and I have a hard time looking from my tablet to my computer and trying to figure out what parts of the tablet draws where.

I actually have a Cintiq 22HD that I use, which is a tablet monitor. Some of these were done at my workplace, but others at home. I use Photoshop CC, and have the same brushes and tablet in both places. I did start off with a smaller tablet long ago and all I can really say is that it takes practice and that you may be more comfortable with a program like Manga Studio or Paint Tool SAI or even Flash that allows you to adjust your stroke weight and position when you use a lineart pen. I also find that zooming in and drawing with a fast stroke helps so you draw without your pen wobbling all over the place. Back then I also had a scanner and drew on paper a lot more often than I do now.

11 hours ago, SymFloNy said:

Wow, what a nice art style you've got !

I really love all your cat-racters, there are so beautiful and all of them are really different from the others =)

Thank you! It was fun doing lineless at the time since I was struggling to gain back my style from over a year of drawing just one thing. I modelled all the kitties off real life kitties and tried to match their personality to common D&D classes.

12 hours ago, Samias said:

I actually have a Cintiq 22HD that I use, which is a tablet monitor. Some of these were done at my workplace, but others at home. I use Photoshop CC, and have the same brushes and tablet in both places. I did start off with a smaller tablet long ago and all I can really say is that it takes practice and that you may be more comfortable with a program like Manga Studio or Paint Tool SAI or even Flash that allows you to adjust your stroke weight and position when you use a lineart pen. I also find that zooming in and drawing with a fast stroke helps so you draw without your pen wobbling all over the place. Back then I also had a scanner and drew on paper a lot more often than I do now.

Thank you! It was fun doing lineless at the time since I was struggling to gain back my style from over a year of drawing just one thing. I modelled all the kitties off real life kitties and tried to match their personality to common D&D classes.

Must have been so funny to imagine real cats like warriors =p

10 hours ago, Natalie said:

omg Lyn is soooooooooo good

I love it.

Hey, thanks! I actually ended up expanding the image on request and fixing things I couldn't do in the first three hours I was working on it.

tumblr_p79ktyvtGo1qixsfqo1_r1_1280.png

On 16/04/2018 at 7:13 AM, Samias said:

Hey, thanks! I actually ended up expanding the image on request and fixing things I couldn't do in the first three hours I was working on it.

tumblr_p79ktyvtGo1qixsfqo1_r1_1280.png

Ooh nice. It looks even better now!

• 1 month later...

Great job on achieving the melancholic feeling in this one, I think just the background needs to catch up now! It seems just slightly too blurry, even though it's supposed to be farther away.

• 4 weeks later...

If i went back I'd probably actually prefer to simplify more. It's more my style to stick with texture and simple shapes for BGs.

At any rate I revisited some previous ideas of mine...

tumblr_pap5npTVLk1qixsfqo1_1280.png

• 1 month later...

tumblr_pd79v7iYRI1qixsfqo1_1280.png

tumblr_pd79ri44xA1qixsfqo2_1280.png

Two entries for FFXIV's armor design contest. The first one was accepted into the finalist shortlist! Which is kinda funny because I was away on vacation for nearly the whole contest, spent the majority of my time on the rejected one, and then rushed the accepted one in a hazy jetlagged all-nighter just before the deadline. Just goes to show a memorable design =/= time spent rendering or colouring.