New Event: Grand Conquests

Coolmanio

9C2FeYh4_BMlshsPoVTh3Mhvbcyf-hmj5_vfN561

You will be joining 1 of 3 armies, trying to take control of the most area of Askr!

You will randomly be assigned into an army: Alfonse, Sharena, Anna.

You can ONLY attack an enemies area if you have conquered an area near to that!

You will have to use special stamina, which is replenished at a rate of 1 an hour!

The battles resemble Rival Domains!

The score you get will be added to the overall score from your team for that area!

There are also defence scores! If the opposing team's defence score is higher than your team's offence score, you will not get the area. Points are calculated every 2 hours!

Higher scores get you in higher tiers, which result in better results!

This first event will launch on April 13th and last 6 days!

Edited by Coolmanio

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks really interesting! It reminds me of the Galactic Conquest mode in Star Wars Battlefront II (The original, good one!).

Though having Rival Domains maps as the actual battles is going to be interesting... (easy in low difficulties, but harder in higher ones.) But it does make it feel like Galactic Conquest even more.

They will be hearing our feedback on this and making changes, so that is nice.

I don't know about this mode, I am not all that fond of rival domains and this looks to be the same but more annoying and more difficult.

I don't like how we'll be assigned a team, but I guess they did it for balancing purposes.

Of course, I'll need to play it to see if I actually like it. When I saw the orb with Anna it gave me hope she was getting an alt or something...

1 minute ago, Florete said:

I don't like how we'll be assigned a team, but I guess they did it for balancing purposes.

Of course, I'll need to play it to see if I actually like it. When I saw the orb with Anna it gave me hope she was getting an alt or something...

This is what I was kind of thinking as well.

I still think I would have enjoyed a 'survival' mode more, where you see how many enemies you can defeat/or how many turns you survive and get a rank based off of that, but "shrug"

Having lived through a failed test of basically the same game mode in Granblue Fantasy, can't say I'm very excited for this.

Basically, what happened was that one of the three nations got overwhelmingly stronger team than the other two, resulting in a mono color map in a few hours. And because the other teams lost all their land, they couldn't even attempt a comeback, creating hours of downtime between multiple rounds. And teams didn't reshuffle for the next round.

The event just ended up being cancelled mid-way and the rewards and name were reused on a permanent solo game mode.

Spoiler

image.png.cb3515bfe1ce8906e1291b7760deb239.png

That said, IS could make it work, so I am curious to see how it goes. Just not very optimistic.

7 hours ago, Florete said:

If you could assign teams, poor Alfonse would never win

8 hours ago, Sylphid said:

Having lived through a failed test of basically the same game mode in Granblue Fantasy, can't say I'm very excited for this.

Basically, what happened was that one of the three nations got overwhelmingly stronger team than the other two, resulting in a mono color map in a few hours. And because the other teams lost all their land, they couldn't even attempt a comeback, creating hours of downtime between multiple rounds. And teams didn't reshuffle for the next round.

It seems like that could have been fixed with just a few tweaks to the system:

• Each team has a base area that cannot be captured, thus always allowing the ability to assault adjacent areas.
  • The number of points necessary to capture an area increases with the distance from the team's base.
    • Each area could be assigned an influence multiplier. Areas in the middle of the map would have equal influence for each team, but an area next to Sharena's base would have Sharena's influence multiplier 3 or 4 times higher than Alfonse's or Anna's.
    • Influence would affect how easy it is to capture or defend an area without affecting players' actual score.
  • Allow losing teams to rally morale, doubling influence on all areas for a few hours.
  • Allow the base area to be captured, but allow players to engage in guerrilla warfare with massive influence multipliers if their base is captured.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

• Each team has a base area that cannot be captured, thus always allowing the ability to assault adjacent areas.
  • The number of points necessary to capture an area increases with the distance from the team's base.
    • Each area could be assigned an influence multiplier. Areas in the middle of the map would have equal influence for each team, but an area next to Sharena's base would have Sharena's influence multiplier 3 or 4 times higher than Alfonse's or Anna's.
    • Influence would affect how easy it is to capture or defend an area without affecting players' actual score.
  • Allow losing teams to rally morale, doubling influence on all areas for a few hours.
  • Allow the base area to be captured, but allow players to engage in guerrilla warfare with massive influence multipliers if their base is captured.

They did say they'd listen to feedback, so this might help if they haven't already implemented something similar :)

Still not keen on the idea as a whole, but I will give it a shot and hopefully like playing it more than the idea of playing it xD

I guess this is why they increased the FL since one of my worries is none of my friends being on the same team or only one or two (this has happened to me in several VGs).  The rewards had better be worth it, since as I said before I am not really looking forward to this but if it can be autobattled like rival domains it might not be too bad.

17 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I do agree it could have been fixed fairly easily, all of these sound like good ideas. I was somewhat baffled that Cygames gave up on it so fast, to be honest (but I do like the mode they introduced in its place so eh). At least IS seems intent on taking it to the goal. hopefully they did enough research to learn from others past mistakes.

One key difference I see is that Granblue Fantasy's mode was in real time while FEH's is to be going for 2 hour intervals for calculating points. This should make defending easier.

Not sure if people noticed but there will be multiple instances.

"
    - Each battlefield can accommodate 200 troops per army, meaning a total of 600 people can participate in each battlefield.  (There may be instances where the number of people varies.)
    - So that all players can participate, a number of battlefields will be created.  Grand Conquests participants will automatically be assigned to a battlefield.
/"

I believe they did this to make everyone feel like they're contributing.  So there are 200 people per team instead of like 500k people per team like you get on the VG.  If you assume Price's Law, the actions of people who work hard will matter quite a bit. 

I suppose it's still unknown whether each battlefield will have their own winner of if they'll look at who won the most and make that person the overall winner, but I'm assuming the former.  

Edited by Lushen

I am actually looking forward to this gamemode. What I am curious is when you rank up in the GS rank that they mentioned, will the rank up happen after the event or the moment you do it. Also, I'm assuming the rewards stack up since Rank 2 had more orbs that some ranks above it, which is cool. 

I'm down for this. My only concern is that, after a while, the Rival Domain map format might grow kinda stale. I hope they add other kinds of objectives to them eventually.

I'm not particularly fussed about this mode. I mean, it's a neat concept, but I haven't really been into Rival Domains outside of playing the easiest map each week for a free orb. It also doesn't help that you can't choose which team to support, but I suppose that had to be done so that we didn't get massive imbalances like in the Voting Gauntlet. I'll give it a go at least, but I think I'll still find myself with Tap Battle as my preferred special event.

I'm honestly more interested in seeing whether we get different themes and such for future Grand Conquests. Like, the first one if confirmed to be Alfonse, Sharena, and Anna battling it out in Askr (which begs the question, if the entire map is Askr, then where is Embla?), but could we see different themes for future Conquests? Perhaps we could be joining Lyn, Eliwood, and Hector as they fight across Elibe, for example. Or I suppose they could just stick to the same map and switch up the characters, like Tap Battle does.

Still not a fan of RD and this feels like it's getting ever closer to actual PvP which I also don't want so not real keen on this mode. That said, I'm not going to pass up free stuff so I guess I'll be playing it.

As I really like Rival Domains, I'm very much down for an excuse to play more if it!

I can also see it being a very involved mode, with each team coming up with strategies to take and defend indiviual areas thanks to the cooperation bonuses... Only to get slaughtered when the opposing army tries something completely different?

I'll have to check whether or not it's OK with the mods, but I think it might be a cool idea if each team were to have a separate strategy thread in this subforum!

33 minutes ago, The_antithesis said:

As I really like Rival Domains, I'm very much down for an excuse to play more if it!

I can also see it being a very involved mode, with each team coming up with strategies to take and defend indiviual areas thanks to the cooperation bonuses... Only to get slaughtered when the opposing army tries something completely different?

I'll have to check whether or not it's OK with the mods, but I think it might be a cool idea if each team were to have a separate strategy thread in this subforum!

Discord will better for this, there going to be Separate Outrealms(game tells you in which one you are currently) and 3 armies in each, finding your allies on the internet shouldn't be hard if they are engaged in this

Edited by Skirt_chaser

12 minutes ago, Skirt_chaser said:

Discord will better for this, there going to be Separate Outrealms(game tells you in which one you are currently) and 3 armies in each, finding your allies on the internet shouldn't be hard if they are engaged in this

Oh, great... That means I have to get Discord.

1 hour ago, The_antithesis said:

I can also see it being a very involved mode, with each team coming up with strategies to take and defend indiviual areas thanks to the cooperation bonuses...

With 200 players on a team, I don't think coming up with strategies will actually matter if you assume that over half of the players in this game are casual players and that casual players are not disincentivized to play this mode (because they're not).