New Event: Grand Conquests

Coolmanio

50 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

No surprise to me, really.

I wanted that town buliding mode IS asked about in the survey. I guess not many others did though, since they haven't made this mode...

I'm waiting for that, too, but I'm guessing if it was popular enough, it will take a while to implement. It seemed pretty popular on the SF poll, too, though that is only a small selection of people.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an interesting mode, but I've found it hard to tell which areas it's more constructive to fight in. I guess closely contested ones, or ones close to a knockout?

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Hasn't stopped the voting gauntlet from letting you choose a team though.

Seeing how the teams turned out in Voting Gauntlet is probably exactly why they went with random assignment this time. That's one of many ways this mode seems to be aiming to fix areas of Voting Gauntlets people have complained about.

50 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

No surprise to me, really.

I wanted that town buliding mode IS asked about in the survey. I guess not many others did though, since they haven't made this mode...

It takes time to make a mode. If they were asking for feedback on it, it suggests they hadn't even decided whether or not to make it, which means it must be several months off at best. I'm sure Rival Domains and Grand Conquests were well underway by the time of that survey.

13 minutes ago, Charmeleonbrah said:

I agree, its kind of fun so far.  We get to finally have a mode similar to a "regular" Fire Emblem game.

Of course, it doesn't surprise me that most poasters are complaining about it.  They go into an epileptic fit every time fanservice characters get released, and act like rabies-infected dogs when C*milla is mentioned. 

I have very little problem with fanservice, but I'm not a fan of the mode, so can we maybe not put two things together that have nothing to do with each other? I just don't care for how it's practically Rival Domains, and how you can't do anything about being in a bad group.

If people enjoy it, cool, but as a new mode of course people will get their opinions about it out there, whether it's good or bad.

Edited by Frenzify

3 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

I'm waiting for that, too, but I'm guessing if it was popular enough, it will take a while to implement. It seemed pretty popular on the SF poll, too, though that is only a small selection of people.

3 minutes ago, Othin said:

It takes time to make a mode. If they were asking for feedback on it, it suggests they hadn't even decided whether or not to make it, which means it must be several months off at best. I'm sure Rival Domains and Grand Conquests were well underway by the time of that survey.

Yeah, maybe it would take more time to finish that mode then, especially if they want to perfect it and make sure all the kinks are out and all.

Grand Conquest reminds me of a three player game of Risk. Somebody's gotta get ganged up on by the other two players if the game is gonna end reasonably quickly. I know the feeling.

I clearly don't understand how I'm supposed to play this mode, but based on my limited experience, it's kind of okay? More engaging than Voting Gauntlet. More interesting to grind than completing your dailies in Tap Battle. And of course no mode is going to top Tempest Trials.

Did anyone else notice that Sharena has an unfair advantage w/ the territories?  The space directly north to her and the space east of that are the only 2 ways to enter Sharena's kingdom.  It's like Australia w/ Risk where there are only two territories she has to defend.  Of course that isn't stopping the Alfonse empire team Alfonse has going on right now, but still.  I feel like Anna should be linked to the space south of her.

But yes, team Anna is going to be dead next round.  Only one territory.  It's kind of upsetting that the team with the most territories is going to take like all the feathers and the losers will get nothing.  But due to instances, I feel like I actually have a hand in stopping that.

Edited by Lushen

I love this mode. My problems with this mode are actually Rival Domains-related issues, not Grand Conquest-related issues (imbalance of TP+attack, maps skewed heavily over certain unit types, senselessness of infinite reinforcements, stupidly high effectiveness of facewalling etc). However I love the Risk-like elements. So far it seems I've been blessed with a rather good team (although people keep making the mistake of investing in areas that face both enemies at once, which is a bad idea) and we're 2 lands ahead, but it's still too early to tell. I generally go only for Lunatic (never gonna try Infernal in this hell mode). At this point I'm really unsure why people are saying saving the recharges is a good idea. More stamina spent early -> higher GC tier -> higher influence -> faster consolidation of nearby areas with each battle -> much less chance for the opponent to be able to do anything late game. If it wasn't for the influence mechanic, it wouldn't matter much and it might be a preferable strategy to burn recharges later on in order to capture key areas, but as it is...

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I'm also like...not sure what I should do first here. It also looks like I missed a round already since it says round 2 out of 22 which isn't a really big deal, but still kinda stinks.

I'm pretty sure each "round" is one round of calculations for who takes or defends each area. Missing a round doesn't matter as long as you don't waste your stamina.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Hasn't stopped the voting gauntlet from letting you choose a team though.

That's because the two game modes have different focuses.

The focus of Grand Conquest is the capturing of map nodes for your team and not who the team leaders are. The mode should play no differently if the team leaders are Alfonse, Sharena, and Anna than how it plays if they were Stahl, Odin, and Bartre.

The focus of Voting Gauntlets is the ability to support a team leader to progress to the next round. A match between Alfonse and Odin can and should play out differently than a match between Alfonse and Ike.

44 minutes ago, Charmeleonbrah said:

I agree, its kind of fun so far.  We get to finally have a mode similar to a "regular" Fire Emblem game.

Of course, it doesn't surprise me that most poasters are complaining about it.  They go into an epileptic fit every time fanservice characters get released, and act like rabies-infected dogs when C*milla is mentioned. 

What the actual fuck do these two points of yours have in common? 

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

I'd also like to know

I like this mode

I thought you could pick teams

Turns out you couldnt 

Which... is actually pretty fair. So this way all the whales wont flock to one side or something heh

1 minute ago, VeryAngryBisharp said:

I really have no idea what's happening buuuuut... I apparently have 2 areas or something? Both Gennys are mine.

Screenshot_20180413-103921.png

I think that means you're the top attacker, which I think means you've accumulated the most score in that section.

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm rather annoyed that Sacred Coins are rewards for your team's performance.

I'm rather annoyed that the maximum you can get is 10. And most 2/3 of the teams will probably get <5.  And we get arena coins which are fairly worthless.  Really the only good reward is feathers and only if you're in the top 2.  But considering I made 22k feathers grinding HM last night I'm not sure this mode is worth it.  But it is at least fun, I think.

12 minutes ago, LFM said:

Auto-battling and winning (on team Sharena) but I have no idea what I'm doing or what is happening.

Same here. I have no clue what I'm doing,  but I'm just throwing people at the things and hoping I'll accrue enough points to get all the prizes. Don't think I'll manage it, though, since I don't want to play Infernal, so am sticking with Lunatic, and I never seem to be able to finish a map off (I just hold the most forts).

I feel like this mode would be more fun for me if it was more like arena battles (team of 4 vs team of 4) rather than the mindless rival domain battles.

For the first round I was number one in one of the territories until at least 8 am EST since that was the last time I checked. so that was nice. I already have some problems with Rival Domains, and not seeing any of them fixed while having to face off against super powerful units isn't the most fun thing. Still, I absolutely need more orbs, as I've been pity broken a second time trying to get Nanna.

I'm really enjoying this gamemode so far! The rewards sure are nice too, so bonus! I'm on team Alfonse. I agree it would be more fun if it was 4v4 battles though, where you could just use your team's/friend's units or something.

Edited by Michelaar

2 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Got 0 Sacred Coins from team Anna so basically, last place doesn’t get any coins.

I didn't think they were distributing any of the Sacred Coins yet, just at the end of each 44-hour campaign.

When they do, it looks like even teams with just one area (the HQ, probably) still get one Sacred Coin.

1 minute ago, Othin said:

I didn't think they were distributing any of the Sacred Coins yet, just at the end of each 44-hour campaign.

When they do, it looks like even teams with just one area (the HQ, probably) still get one Sacred Coin.

Oh, derp’d. Probably so that there wouldn’t be too much salt over the results as Grand Conquests does involve a degree of RNG (seemingly random team assignments to players). Whereas in VG, you’re guaranteed 135 coins if you actually bothered to do the quests and in TT, you’re guaranteed 80 coins if you put the time in to grind.

47 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

It fits in with the overreacting theme of this forum.  It's like, does anyone in this fanbase have a reasonable, healthy opinion on things?  Same thing with the Voting Gauntlet and Tempest Trial.

I'm waiting for the flier emblem/horse emblem bonuses.  My best infantry units are glass cannons and don't fare so well in these 10-unit battles.