New Event: Grand Conquests

Coolmanio

8 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

If IS intended for this mode to be fun, then they failed miserably as far as I'm concerned.

They intended for this mode to be fun? Citation needed.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

They intended for this mode to be fun? Citation needed.

Well, I did include an "if" as a preface to that statement. And what you do you mean you don't enjoy getting screwed over from no fault of your own? Personally, I'm over here enjoying only having my HQ now thanks to the fact that the lone other territory we had suffered a knockout to Aflonse's stupid army.

Yeah...Team Sharena is screwed in my outrealm. While we have 7 territories it seems both Alfonse and Anna decided to focus on destroying us to get the most rewards they can. Greedy bastards wanting to destroy the weakest army to get the most profits they can.

1 hour ago, Tybrosion said:

Good to hear things have gotten a lot better for you. As for me:

Reveal hidden contents

1dHIm76.png?1

[insert "This is fine" meme here]

Oh... yeah so...

G1f7IKM.jpg

...Yeah.

We're pretty much exactly where we were this time yesterday. Not quite 7k feathers but close enough. My condolences. This mode seems to favor foreigners and nocturnal players. There was also a player that is playing a pivotal role in this though. Junce. I guess he saved all his Conquest Lances because he's got like 8k points in like 6 different areas. He really brought it for this last round. It's probably smarter to save your lances for the last round and go all out for the win instead of burning them all to get the orb rewards fast. But let's face it, we're all impatient. 

Gonna burn my last 3 stamina now, it's done.

26 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

Yeah...Team Sharena is screwed in my outrealm. While we have 7 territories it seems both Alfonse and Anna decided to focus on destroying us to get the most rewards they can. Greedy bastards wanting to destroy the weakest army to get the most profits they can.

Not so much greed as short-sightedness. Sharena and Alfonse being so close to each other leads to their teams naturally gravitating to piling in on the few tiles that are between them. Meanwhile Anna just gobbles up the southern half of the map, uncontested, because her starting position is completely unthreatened.

38 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Yeah, the comeback mechanic doesn't really work because of the baseline 5000 points that are needed to take a territory, and the morale of the smallest team is already shattered at that point and no one can be bothered playing. Sharena on my realm has 2 tiles, including her base, and in theory that means the players on her team can focus on a small number of nearby tiles and win by sheer numbers over the other players who spread themselves thin.

Is that happening? Ha, looking at the map right now, two-thirds of the way into the final round, one person on team Sharena has battled exactly once for about 8000 points. Those points plus the splash damage to the adjacent tile represent the only action taken by a member of Team Sharena so far this round.

I don't think there's any comeback mechanic in place at all. It was obvious right away that the 5000 starting value should scale to the amount of land controlled by that army. I also think that the two spots next to the base should automatically get that starting bonus, regardless of whether or not they're owned. Here's what I think would be fair:

Spoiler

Number of areas controlled -- Base score at start of round

1. -- 50000
  2. -- 40000
  3. -- 30000
  4. -- 20000
  5. -- 15000
  6. -- 12500
  7. -- 10000
  8. -- 8000
  9. -- 6500
  10. -- 5000
  11. -- 4500
  12. -- 4000
  13. -- 3500
  14. -- 3000
  15. -- 2500
  16. -- 2000
  17. -- 1500
  18. -- 1000
  19. -- 500
  20. -- 0

20 and up get no base score.

Finished 11:4:15 in outrealm 1581. It's slightly over the median reward so eh, whatever. Managed to take a couple tiles from Anna with my points, but we also leaked a couple to her. Could have taken them from Sharena instead for slightly better value perhaps but I felt sorry for them and focused almost exclusively on the right.

I have zero crests left and none left to claim (crazy that the quests don't award any) so I have exactly enough resources to fight *once* in the forthcoming set. (I could fight some meaningless fights as long as they're 8 hours or more from the end of the event but why?)

I feel awesome to help my team get that 20th tile. I dumped like 2 or 3 stacks of Conquest Lances taking that area right below Sharena for Anna.

Spoiler

872do4g.png

I would have went after Alfonse, but all of his territories that I can attack were already dominated by Anna, so I had no choice but to go after Sharena.

4 hours ago, SlipperySlippy said:

This is happening to my Shareena team too, after it already happened to me when I was on team Anna. If I get a total of 2k feathers from two the rounds from this garbage, I'm going to be seething. 

I understand that this is basically a beta run (and think it has great potential), but this whole experience has left a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Sorry to hear that. Here's hoping that your team does really well in the last round. As for my team this round, team Sharena just gave up. You'd think we'd be able to defend our one tile and maybe take another but it is like team Anna and Alfonse made a pact to barely attack each other and destroy us in order to guarantee they both get a good amount of the map.

3 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Good to hear things have gotten a lot better for you. As for me:

Hide contents

1dHIm76.png?1

[insert "This is fine" meme here]

I know how that is bro.

2 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Yeah, the comeback mechanic doesn't really work because of the baseline 5000 points that are needed to take a territory, and the morale of the smallest team is already shattered at that point and no one can be bothered playing. Sharena on my realm has 2 tiles, including her base, and in theory that means the players on her team can focus on a small number of nearby tiles and win by sheer numbers over the other players who spread themselves thin.

Is that happening? Ha, looking at the map right now, two-thirds of the way into the final round, one person on team Sharena has battled exactly once for about 8000 points. Those points plus the splash damage to the adjacent tile represent the only action taken by a member of Team Sharena so far this round.

I wouldn't be surprised if less than ten people actually participated on my realm's team Sharena in the last few rounds. There really was no incentive to put effort into battling the sea of red and green because we couldn't secure a foothold. Anna was constantly one upping any contributions we made; it was pretty much an exercise in futility.

1 hour ago, Johann said:

I don't think there's any comeback mechanic in place at all. It was obvious right away that the 5000 starting value should scale to the amount of land controlled by that army. I also think that the two spots next to the base should automatically get that starting bonus, regardless of whether or not they're owned. Here's what I think would be fair:

Reveal hidden contents

Number of areas controlled -- Base score at start of round

1. -- 50000
  2. -- 40000
  3. -- 30000
  4. -- 20000
  5. -- 15000
  6. -- 12500
  7. -- 10000
  8. -- 8000
  9. -- 6500
  10. -- 5000
  11. -- 4500
  12. -- 4000
  13. -- 3500
  14. -- 3000
  15. -- 2500
  16. -- 2000
  17. -- 1500
  18. -- 1000
  19. -- 500
  20. -- 0

20 and up get no base score.

This is a great way to improve the current system they have going. If they're going to hand out rewards based on the amount of nodes then the losing team(s) need a safeguard put in place so they have a chance to get their bearings and funnel their resources into claiming other territories instead of defending their own. The other two teams never really have a reason to make a concerted effort of going after each other when one team is clearly easy pickings. I think they should scrap the reward for territories or not make the gap so large (maybe something like 5000 feathers for participating a certain amount and 100 feathers per territory?) so that the active players on losing teams don't feel so shafted.

Final results:

Tragic, a vicious beating. In the end Anna chose feathers and broke her agreement with Alfonse, taking three of his territories. She was nice enough to cede the territory to the right of our base to him. 

I actually laughed when I saw the sacred coin reward. One? Seriously? I mean it's better than nothing but... Ha!

@Momentai~Fortunately your Barst made this a much less painful experience - actually he's in the number one slot right now. I deleted all my brigades after the first map and cherry-picked a bunch of DC units from my limited friends list.

I probably overdid it a bit but my core units for Rival Domains are DC Barst+10, DC Shiro+10, DC Eirika+10, DC Catria+10, DC Caeda+9 and DC Cherche+9. Creative, I know. The only unit of my own that I use is my 4*+10 Olivia, and the other unit is Nowi+9, so yeah, 7 DC units. No intention of doing Infernal so the limited firepower is passable in Lunatic and it gives them a better chance in autobattle.

I probably should get more friends now that the friends list is expanded, I only have 30-odd and always felt kinda bad taking up the friend slots of other players with better units because I have nothing useful to offer them in return.

@JohannI'm warming to the idea of the scaling "garrison" to the number of occupied tiles. Could even just do some basic inverse scaling where the garrison is always 50000 divided by the number of tiles owned, which neatly results in 5000 for the starting layout. At 5 tiles, the 10000 point garrison will require at least a full-multiplier Infernal total victory to take a tile which sounds reasonable to me. Teams pushing for more than 20 tiles are just taking rewards from other teams and tossing them in the bin anyway since there are no further rewards for exceeding that number, so 20:5:5 being the goal for a well-coordinated team is fairer than what we're currently seeing.

In Outrealm 2308, Alfonse ended up pulling out a win with 14 territories. Both the other armies ended up with 8 a piece which seems a lot more fair than some of the complete annihilation matches I've been seeing. I'm glad to be on the winning team this time at least.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Alphonse finished with 21 nodes Leaving Sharena with 3 and us with 6. Stupid-ass Team Sharena only attacked Anna the entire time. Alphonse was right at their doorstep every other hour leaving Alphonse to be forced to attack Anna because they had no border with Sharena, and Sharena never tried to take the areas back. It was so stupid. Early on it was 14:2:14, but Sharena had to let her big brother trick her cause she is so damn nice.

First battle we had 5, second battle now 6. I really hope I can get some good luck on the third battle. With a maximum of 14,000 feathers so far, 5,300 is not a good start.

10 minutes ago, Nightmayre said:

...twice now, I end up in the brutally losing team with just two territories at the end of round.

I guess that's what I get for saying I like this mode =/

Ouch, and I thought I had it bad.

4 hours ago, XRay said:

I see. That is a similar tactic I use, but once I get the other undefended camp with my cavalry units, the camp that my armor units tries to aggro will be swarmed with enemies and take out most of my armor units. I am usually stuck at that point; the enemies solidify their position via teleportation and becomes harder to dislodge since I cannot kill them faster than they can reinforce. I will try it with lolis then instead of armor units and hopefully that might help.

Yeah, you want to be able to kill most if not all of the enemies that attack you. Armors don't do well because most enemies have higher Def than Res. That's probably why I have had such success using Nowi.

Ideally I would want one of each color dragon with the Steady Breath, QR combo for baiting, a super healer with double Savage, a dancer (either green Azura), 2 ranged Cavalry, and a Galforcer (either a Cavalry or a Flyer).

Got 5200 feathers from round, team Anna sure went nuts after I we were losing when I went to bed. An hour before the round ended I think Alfonse and Sharena were about even.

Last round I'm in Team Anna again. I don't know why but IS decided to give Sharena that bottom right corner again but good for them. Though I think the starting nodes were changed a bit? I'm pretty sure Anna didn't have that long strip of land up north on first round.

2 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

Somehow we finished at 10/10/10:
Screenshot_20180417-142428.png

4,000 feathers for everyone is fine by me.

That one lonely red in there.

Welp, I went to bed the second to last hour and we had 18 nodes after a hot streak for a few hours. I woke up to see we closed out with 13. I was hoping for a better result to make up for the first round only getting rewards for 7 areas held.

Now I'm on team Sharena this time and it doesn't seem like my team is doing much this first hour. Doesn't bode well for the rest of the round since the first hour has usually been one of the more active from what I've seen. Or maybe more people just aren't playing as much by this point. Can't really blame them I suppose.

I really hate how the feather/coin rewards are just a complete crapshoot for how well your random team randomly does. You could come out of this event rolling big with 21k feathers and 30 coins or just get fucked and barely get 4k/3 coins. And there's really nothing you can do about it if you just end up on a less active team compared to the others in your outrealm. (or even just asleep during the last hours due to time zones) That just seems like bad design.

It is so confusing to be on the Blue team after being on the Green team in the first two battles. The plus side is that Sharena has the map advantage once again. Hopefully I can get the 20+ area rewards here.

30 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

And there's really nothing you can do about it if you just end up on a less active team compared to the others in your outrealm. (or even just asleep during the last hours due to time zones) That just seems like bad design.

I  think that 11 rounds of 4 hours would be much better than the 22 rounds of 2 hours. Two hours isn't very much time and being inactive for a couple rounds worth of time can see some huge changes take place. 11 rounds is more than enough to see things swing back and forth, and 4 hours gives a much bigger advantage when your team is able to score a knock-out, plus you would be able to play in the beginning of a round, sleep for 6-7 hours and then play at the end of the next round without missing anything.

37 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

Welp, I went to bed the second to last hour and we had 18 nodes after a hot streak for a few hours. I woke up to see we closed out with 13. I was hoping for a better result to make up for the first round only getting rewards for 7 areas held.

I got 5 areas and then 6 areas. 5,300 feathers out of a possible 14,000 so far.

54 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

That sucks. It doesn't seem like a good thing where even if I were on a team with 20 areas controlled I'd feel bad anyway because you know somebody else is losing out on so many feathers instead. I feel like they should have more of the rewards tied to rank or something(and just make it take longer to get to 20/have more tiers). Even VG only really has 500 feathers on the line per round between the winner/loser.

And longer rounds would probably be an improvement, I agree. I wonder just how heavily they'll be willing to change things when they get the feedback afterwards.

3 hours ago, Hawk King said:

That 7k per round is practically an illusion, though. Sure, the odd outlier will get it, but for the most part, it's just a carrot-on-a-stick trick to try to motivate people to go hard. With only 27 capturable territories, the odds of actually taking and holding 19 of those are incredibly slim. And in order for one team to get that, at least one team has to suffer greatly (if not both of the others) in terms of rewards. 9200 is probably a more reasonable expectation for a soft cap of sorts (though 5300 still isn't great when measured up against that).

I'm in Outrealm 2738 now. On Alfonse's team now, so apparently I get around. Currently 14-6-10, but Anna is holding almost every key crossroad, so we can be attacked in eight different places this round. Not that the first day matters much (aside from the fact that we're leading being a big red flag that we might be burning all our steam way too early), but the map should look stupid hilarious at the start of the next round.