Mario Kart: Is bullying still an issue?

MilodicMellodi

I regularly play Mario Kart 7. There were these three guys (Normal!Mario, Luigi, and a freakish-looking Mii) that were regularly trying to target me. Me, as in me alone. The Luigi actually went so far a couple races as to let me lap him just so he'd be close enough to Star me. Funnily enough, during one of those times I managed to dodge each of his attempts at ramming me and got first.

Sadly, some of the races went pretty pear-shaped. A lot of the time, they kept getting Toad Circuit (and trust me, this map is infamous for bullying), and sadly you can't always dodge shells. Once they smell blood, they come in for the hunt. I managed to get the last laugh by getting first on the last race where all three went completely hostile, and man that feels good.

Still, I doubt most people are lucky or skilled enough to deal with MK bullies. Is there anyone other than myself who regularly has to deal with them?

Is there, like, no block list in the game?  Because that's one of the ways to deal with it, instead of posting a "Am I special" topic on a forum that has nothing to do with MK.

I played a lot of competitive Mario Kart 7 back in the day and never had this issue, so my advice is limited. All I can really suggest is that you persevere through it because by nature, anyone who focuses on bullying rather than winning is not going to win that many races and they won't have that high a ranking, so you'll push past them with time.

My advice would be to play a racing game with less direct player interactions. (Or rather, interactions that are avoidable)
In Mario Kart, if someone targets you with powerful items, there is not much you can do to stop them.

In futuristic racers (which usually emphasize skill more), you can just... go so fast that they don't catch up.
In F-Zero GX you can use a side attack to smash them completely off the track. Very satisfying.

As far as I know, Mario Kart 8 shares 90% of items with Mario Kart 7, so yeah, there's probably still bullying.