Create a Personality Gimmick!

Jotari

20 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

A person who thinks they're in a fighting game, and thus focuses on making high combos rather than delivering high damage, and has a personal skill that references the Ultra Combos from the Killer Instinct series, being visually exciting and creative but statistically worthless. Bonus points if they have the fighter class, and have high skill and speed to boot.

Or even more Bonus Points…anyways, that sounds basically like Owain but armed with a stepladder with more high-pitched 'heeyahs' and 'whahs' in their speech.

Also holy cow, I forgot about the Stepladder fight. Probably the most epic thing I ever saw in a martial arts movie, and they do some epic stuff in those.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone who's very much against the non-human race(s) in the game.  Not because of xenophobia, but because they're allergic to them (especially if it's a fuzzy race like every last beast variant).

7 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Someone who's very much against the non-human race(s) in the game.  Not because of xenophobia, but because they're allergic to them (especially if it's a fuzzy race like every last beast variant).

At first I thought of Lethe when you first meet her in Path of Radiance from the way you were describing them but then my mind jumped to how scared of everything Yarne can get and effectively slammed them together. Adding to your idea, a Manakete with a human allergy could be funny too, as they could keep sneezing breath type attacks.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Short of this, you have to settle with Peri and Makalov and Lifis and FE7 Karel. Characters who are also immoral, but not so raw in their immorality.

Gambling is immoral? Since when?

Just now, Light Strategist said:

Probably something to do with the reason the Game Corner is no longer a thing in Pokémon.

That has nothing to do with Makalov's gambling problem as, unlike the Game Corner, the player can't actively take part in it.

9 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

That has nothing to do with Makalov's gambling problem as, unlike the Game Corner, the player can't actively take part in it.

Could be seen as a correlation. He's a gambler and look what happened to him.

4 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

Could be seen as a correlation. He's a gambler and look what happened to him.

There is no correlation between Makalov being a loser and Game Freak removing the Game Corner. They took out the Game Corner because it's actual in-game gambling, not because some minor character in another game series has a gambling problem.

A character who doesn't feel like doing anything and music is the only thing that gets him truly motivated. One of his quotes is "i hate silence because it's really loud".

1 hour ago, Light Strategist said:

At first I thought of Lethe when you first meet her in Path of Radiance from the way you were describing them but then my mind jumped to how scared of everything Yarne can get and effectively slammed them together. Adding to your idea, a Manakete with a human allergy could be funny too, as they could keep sneezing breath type attacks.

I think she meant a human allergic to the beast race, but the reverse would be absolute gold too.

• A mute linguist bard/healer.
  • A  laguz with an interest in human culture and art.
    • Potentially combined with the above, a person who paints/sketches during the battle.
  • A porcupine laguz to see quill beards and spiky hair because they could make interesting defensive units.
  • Link and Gordon Freeman Expies. If the portraits are really good in the next game, we can potentially have a good "..." support based entirely on facial expressions!

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Another, a ventriloquist- prefers talking to people via personas projected on objects and other things, rather than speak directly as themselves.

4 hours ago, Faellin said:

A thief who uses his sneaking skills to pull pranks and such on enemy forces. Stuff like placing silly notes on enemies armor. Another thing is after taking the useful contents from enemy chests, he refills it with all sorts of nonsense, all to make the enemy forces look stupid. Basically a huge troll.

Could I use some of these for my own FE game? I like these ideas

An axe fighter with great talent and passion for cooking. They joined the conflict because it was killing their business, their lines talk about the finer details of five-star culinary preparation, and they trash-talk their enemies as if they were going to cook and serve them to creep them out. Can be either gender.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

A character who doesn't feel like doing anything and music is the only thing that gets him truly motivated. One of his quotes is "i hate silence because it's really loud".

Ah, so Demyx. I'd play as Demyx in Fire Emblem.

2 hours ago, X-Naut said:

An axe fighter with great talent and passion for cooking. They joined the conflict because it was killing their business, their lines talk about the finer details of five-star culinary preparation, and they trash-talk their enemies as if they were going to cook and serve them to creep them out. Can be either gender.

And the PuppetMaster Adept from Gunvolt 2 but with Axes? Sounds good too.

A BIG beefcake fellow whose main class line is Mage/Dark Mage. He's not particularly talented in magic, but he took to studying it anyway because of how happy it made his mom, an accomplished Sage/Sorcerer. They loved each other very much, but she's passed on by the point in the game where you meet him, so now it serves as a reminder of her whenever he's holding a Tome. Stat-wise, his Mag is pretty unimpressive, but his Skl and Spd are decent, and his HP/Def/Res are all through the roof.

A girl so concerned with her body image that she never takes off her armor, great helm included, in the presence of others. She keeps the helmet on, even in the marriage bed.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

And now for the most meta suggestion: this character's personality gimmick is that he (or she) has split personality disorder and thus, has all of the personality gimmicks in the series. All of them. Every. Last. One. Only one gimmick is present at a time but it can change randomly.

He must be the anti-thesis of an avatar character. Rather than being unfailingly pleasant, he can support anyone because he has every personality available.

3 hours ago, RedRob said:

A healer who likes inflicting pain? No wait, a sadistic assassin disguised as a healer.

Kotomine, is that you?

3 hours ago, RedRob said:

A healer who likes inflicting pain? No wait, a sadistic assassin disguised as a healer.

Or maybe someone who's just a plain sadist, but due to familial circumstances/expectations was forced into becoming a priest/cleric (probably a noble clan that doesn't want their son/daughter running around).  Also, perhaps they have a high libido, but the priestly/clerical vows force them into being chaste.  So now they're sadistic, horny, AND perennially pissed about how their life's turned out.  Takes great joy at -vigorously applying- the head of their staff on the recipient.  Preferably multiple times. 

2 hours ago, Hero_Lucina said:

Go ahead.

Another idea- the Quarter-Life Crisis Kid. A young adult approaching 20 (18-19), which we will define as about 1/4 of one's life. With this revelation dawning on them, they suddenly exaggerate their age, feeling older than they are, saying things to the effect of "when I was young" and thinking the time for youthful idealism and passions are over with, or at least winding down. While this generally deters them from doing bold and risky things, sometimes it drives them to want to act on their dying youth, to leap optimistically and dramatically into youthful ventures while it still lasts. Needless to say, on at least one occasion, the daring leaps end badly.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Another idea- the Quarter-Life Crisis Kid. A young adult approaching 20 (18-19), which we will define as about 1/4 of one's life. With this revelation dawning on them, they suddenly exaggerate their age, feeling older than they are, saying things to the effect of "when I was young" and thinking the time for youthful idealism and passions are over with, or at least winding down. While this generally deters them from doing bold and risky things, sometimes it drives them to want to act on their dying youth, to leap optimistically and dramatically into youthful ventures while it still lasts. Needless to say, on at least one occasion, the daring leaps end badly.

So the anti-Ricken?

5 hours ago, Hero_Lucina said:

Go right ahead. I would love to see how you flesh out that concept into an actual character.

An armor knight who keeps buying more and more ridiculously ornate pieces of armor (whether or not they fit doesn't matter), and it's to the point where the army's caravan/supply wagons can't fit anything else.
(Personal skill could be like, when battling a promoted unit (since their armor is usually more complex), gets +5 hit and attack or something like that)

Someone like Gaius, but instead of a thief with a candy obsession, have it be like, an enemy merc who wandered into the camp because of the smell of the food, and immediately switches sides. Like, just have his whole thing be complaining about how bad the enemy's rations are. He became a merc to afford good food, dammit, and he will do anything to get it.
(Personal skill could be get a boost in combat if paired with someone carrying a food-related item (Joke weapons, confections, ect.) OR if paired with one of the good cooks in the army)

A trainee unit, but they are older, and have decided to practice Magic/Fighting because, at their age, why not?

Let's have a Joseph Joestar-type character and his gimmick is that he can accurately predict what his opponent is about to say.

5 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

And the PuppetMaster Adept from Gunvolt 2 but with Axes? Sounds good too.

Eyy, another Gunvolt fan.

Now that i think about it, let's have a Teseo-type character in Fire Emblem. One that basically just speaks in memes. The difference between Teseo and this hypothetical character is that even if you hate Teseo, it's fine because you get to kill him.....twice. But this hypothetical meme character is an ally who joins automatically at the start of a chapter so you have to put up with him for the rest of the game. He'd be the pinncale of "you either love or hate this character".

9 hours ago, EdeaCreamer said:

A BIG beefcake fellow whose main class line is Mage/Dark Mage. He's not particularly talented in magic

love it 

An old healer/priest whose gimmick is that hes  a preacher trying to evangelize his faith, and he takes it all just a bit too seriously.

Supports consist of him constantly reminding the less pious among the group that Emmeryn died for their sins. That short skirts and bare midriffs are the devil's playthings. And that they're all going straight to hell for their premarital S-Supports, unless they repent and accept Naga into their hearts.    

Edited by Shoblongoo