Create a Personality Gimmick!

Jotari

29 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

love it 

An old healer/priest whose gimmick is that hes  a preacher trying to evangelize his faith, and he takes it all just a bit too seriously.

Supports consist of him constantly reminding the less pious among the group that Emmeryn died for their sins. That short skirts and bare midriffs are the devil's playthings. And that they're all going straight to hell for their premarital S-Supports, unless they repent and accept Naga into their hearts.    

Haha. Sounds like he could be some kind of exaggerated parody of the purists complaining about the heightened level of fan service in the modern games. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, RedRob said:

How about we put some Konosuba characters in the game? I mean, come on. Be hella fun blowing shit up with a Megamin kind of character.

A Gaiden style magic system with Ragnarok being the only spell in their spell list. They start off with a base HP of 11. Eventually they'll earn enough HP to cast it twice, but for the most part, it's one shot and they're effectively useless unless you heal them. Ragnarok being their only spell also means they would even counter with it (provided they have enough HP to use it, which is unlikely unless they managed to dodge the enemy's attack). Useful boss killer, but pretty useless as a general unit. Would be interesting to see how LTC players would treat them.

5 hours ago, FRZNHeir said:

An armor knight who keeps buying more and more ridiculously ornate pieces of armor (whether or not they fit doesn't matter), and it's to the point where the army's caravan/supply wagons can't fit anything else.
(Personal skill could be like, when battling a promoted unit (since their armor is usually more complex), gets +5 hit and attack or something like that)

Someone like Gaius, but instead of a thief with a candy obsession, have it be like, an enemy merc who wandered into the camp because of the smell of the food, and immediately switches sides. Like, just have his whole thing be complaining about how bad the enemy's rations are. He became a merc to afford good food, dammit, and he will do anything to get it.
(Personal skill could be get a boost in combat if paired with someone carrying a food-related item (Joke weapons, confections, ect.) OR if paired with one of the good cooks in the army)

A trainee unit, but they are older, and have decided to practice Magic/Fighting because, at their age, why not?

I'm gonna use that merc idea

12 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

A blind lord who has to use their sharp hearing to fight. 

No joke, I'd actually like to see this.

1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

An old healer/priest whose gimmick is that hes  a preacher trying to evangelize his faith, and he takes it all just a bit too seriously.

Supports consist of him constantly reminding the less pious among the group that Emmeryn died for their sins. That short skirts and bare midriffs are the devil's playthings. And that they're all going straight to hell for their premarital S-Supports, unless they repent and accept Naga into their hearts.   

Y'now, if this priest character is actually calm, reasonable, and genuinely faithful, rather than the stereotyped shouting and accusing type, I genuinely wouldn't mind seeing this. It could lead to some interesting discussion on modesty, faith, and the like.

One of my ideas is a guy whom everyone thinks is a famous hero but he really isn't. Said character (let's call him Ziegfried) is a below average swordsman, but because he has a similar name, appearance, and fighting style to the legendary swordsman Siegfried, everyone in the army thinks that he is Siegfried. Unlike Samuel and Shannam, though, Ziegfried's impersonation is purely accidental. He's very insistent that he isn't Siegfried, but everyone else ignores this because they think he's just being humble about his talent and accomplishments. The other characters treat him with reverence/fear or view him as a rival, despite Ziegfried's protests that he is not Siegfried.

At some point in a paralouge, the player's army runs into the real Siegfried. Siegfried has heard that he has an impersonator running around and decided to investigate, but everyone now believes that the real Siegfried is the impersonator (despite him being far more statically imposing than Ziegfried). After the battle, Siegfried privately meets with Ziegfried and officially names him his successor so he can peacefully retire from heroism (since everyone already believes that Ziegfried is Siegfried anyway). Ziegfried is baffled the entire time, but Siegfried gives him his sword, a formidable personal weapon, as a gift for his trouble.

There's also the obligatory fanservice character who, instead of being in love with them, absolutely hates the protagonist for no apparent reason. In her ending it's revealed that she hates the lord for an extraordinarily petty reason, like they forgot to return a toy ten years ago or something. She still ends up being the most popular character in the game.

Finally, there's a mage who sought the secret to immortality but ended up making himself a skeleton instead. He has his own "Skeleton" class which has pathetic stats, but has a random chance of taking no damage when attacked by an enemy (and permadeath doesn't apply to him, so he can be used in the next chapter even if he "dies"). He probably also takes off his arm to bludgeon the enemy with or something, and most of his dialogue consists of bone related puns.

Edited by Lightchao42

10 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

One of my ideas is a guy whom everyone thinks is a famous hero but he really isn't. Said character (let's call him Ziegfried) is a below average swordsman, but because he has a similar name, appearance, and fighting style to the legendary swordsman Siegfried, everyone in the army thinks that he is Siegfried. Unlike Samuel and Shannam, though, Ziegfried's impersonation is purely accidental. He's very insistent that he isn't Siegfried, but everyone else ignores this because they think he's just being humble about his talent and accomplishments. The other characters treat him with reverence/fear or view him as a rival, despite Ziegfried's protests that he is not Siegfried.

At some point in a paralouge, the player's army runs into the real Siegfried. Siegfried has heard that he has an impersonator running around and decided to investigate, but everyone now believes that the real Siegfried is the impersonator (despite him being far more statically imposing than Ziegfried). After the battle, Siegfried privately meets with Ziegfried and officially names him his successor so he can peacefully retire from heroism (since everyone already believes that Ziegfried is Siegfried anyway). Ziegfried is baffled the entire time, but Siegfried gives him his sword, a formidable personal weapon, as a gift for his trouble.

This is gold. The perfect way to reuse the first Fire Emblem gimmick character in a new and interesting way.

I guess my characters who have phobias kinda count as gimmicky. Though I tried to make them more than just a gimmick.

Kiel is a half-blind wolf laguz who's terrified of dragons, especially wyverns because he (kind of) witnessed his parents get killed by one. This fear often comes up because several battles are against dracoknights.

Skye is afraid of sleep staves because the one and only time he was hit by one, he had a nightmare.

Azura (who is the lord) has arachnophobia. Fear of spiders. I had a reason for this, but for the moment I can't completely remember what it was. xP I do remember that her foster mother was mistakenly partly the reason, as it involved a spider in the house that she couldn't get rid of before little Azura saw it and yeah.

But besides phobia gimmicks, I suppose there's also Eliot, my clumsy klutzy paladin. He's different from characters like Sumia or Felicia though, because his clumsiness actually causes problems around him. His superior officer seems to be most often affected somehow too. :P And he's nearly at his wit's end with him. Eliot's crashed into his tent after tripping, and also slammed into him while carrying paint and wind up covering them both in a bunch of colors (Eliot is also an artist on the side). lol

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

This is gold. The perfect way to reuse the first Fire Emblem gimmick character in a new and interesting way.

I feel like I heard that somewhere before. Like I'm damn sure that was in a JRPG before.

@DisobeyedCargoOn the subject of a blind lord, I once had a Fate rewrite where Corrin actually stayed at the main Nohrian castle, on account of Garon actually being himself this time around, and not some slime. Rumors were abound about Corrin's true heritage, and thus someone tried poisoning him to get rid of him. Due to his dragon DNA, the poison wasn't that effective, but it did leave him blind. And that would be why he doesn't wear shoes. He would be like Toph from Avatar, but with Dragonvein powers instead of Earthbending.

3 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

And that they're all going straight to hell for their premarital S-Supports, unless they repent and accept Naga into their hearts.  

S supports end in marriage though.

45 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I for one can think of one marriage where the party involved clearly can't give consent to the union

Spoiler

Emmeryn...bet you thought I was going to say a Loli.

A character who dislikes the concept of healing magic and refuses it. They believe purely in natural health and strength, rejecting magical means of enhancing one's self and lifestyle. Partly inspired by this bit of Disgaea lore, unexplored I think, saying how Male Priests in the original game reject the concept of healing and wear flesh penetrating spikes as penance for their use of healing arts.

Actually, a recreational nudist would be funny. Not like they ever have to visually show them undressed, and of course, play into the semi-stereotype where the nudist is not the prettiest of people. But as a plus they'd be open and understanding about listening to the body issues of others.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Actually, a recreational nudist would be funny. Not like they ever have to visually show them undressed, and of course, play into the semi-stereotype where the nudist is not the prettiest of people. But as a plus they'd be open and understanding about listening to the body issues of others.

FE has used fanservice so much lately I wouldn't be surprised...

3 hours ago, RedRob said:

How about we put some Konosuba characters in the game? I mean, come on. Be hella fun blowing shit up with a Megamin kind of character.

I did suggest a Megumin-type character on the first page.

Adding on to this, we have a Darkness-type character who's a Hero but can't hit anything, even stationary targets. Her Skill stat of 1 reflects this. It never goes up. But she's also a masochist and has the highest defense in the game.

Then we have the Aqua-type character who's a promoted Healer and can do great healing but other than that, she's totally useless (she denies this)

And finally, the Kazuma-type character who's a Thief that can actually do his job pretty well but he's average other than that. He's also a true advocate of gender equality.

A person who complains about the fan-servicy aspect of the series... not because they're modest or prude, but because they point out how impractical it is to show skin in a world with combat magic and easily access-able weaponry, or how wearing a dress or miniskirt into battle would actually slow them down and/or needlessly distract both sides. To balance them out,' they'd come to logical conclusions that make sense, but are nonetheless odd, weird, and non sequitur, such as declaring that beards and oxygen are fire hazards, or how the most basic of objects could be used as a deadly weapon.

A Don Quixote character is long overdue, although I heard there was one in Thracia 776.

As a twist on the "dude looks like a lady" trope, said character would be able to grow a beard. However, they would also have very fast growing hair, meaning that between battles, their head and facial hair would grow longer and longer, until they decide to shave it off, restarting the whole process. It would be cool and funny if some supports were slightly different depending on whether or not said character has a beard, although I see the difficulties with implementing this.

3 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

A person who complains about the fan-servicy aspect of the series... not because they're modest or prude, but because they point out how impractical it is to show skin in a world with combat magic and easily access-able weaponry, or how wearing a dress or miniskirt into battle would actually slow them down and/or needlessly distract both sides. To balance them out,' they'd come to logical conclusions that make sense, but are nonetheless odd, weird, and non sequitur, such as declaring that beards and oxygen are fire hazards, or how the most basic of objects could be used as a deadly weapon.

A Don Quixote character is long overdue, although I heard there was one in Thracia 776.

As a twist on the "dude looks like a lady" trope, said character would be able to grow a beard. However, they would also have very fast growing hair, meaning that between battles, their head and facial hair would grow longer and longer, until they decide to shave it off, restarting the whole process. It would be cool and funny if some supports were slightly different depending on whether or not said character has a beard, although I see the difficulties with implementing this.

Well she's not quite the bearded lady, but I think Echnida fits the mold.

latest?cb=20160614032608

Unless you meant the oppose of dude looks like a lady is a dude that looks like a dude...

A character that doesn't TRUST anybody, causing them to be overly cautious. Quirky activities include checking every piece of mutton to make sure it's not poisoned.

12 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Lazlow-Charlotte S, then.

19 hours ago, Armagon said:

Eyy, another Gunvolt fan.

Now that i think about it, let's have a Teseo-type character in Fire Emblem. One that basically just speaks in memes. The difference between Teseo and this hypothetical character is that even if you hate Teseo, it's fine because you get to kill him.....twice. But this hypothetical meme character is an ally who joins automatically at the start of a chapter so you have to put up with him for the rest of the game. He'd be the pinncale of "you either love or hate this character".

What? Teseo's awesome, why would anyone hate him?!
Really, any gimmicks the Gunvolt characters have that haven't been used yet ought to be - we could use a Ghauri, constantly trying to make his every sentence into poetry but ending up just…being. Gibril's weird Armed-Blue-hard-on she exhibits in her post-death fight could theoretically be used too, but…I dunno, I'd probably not use that, it could get really weird pretty fast. Whats-her-face, the Hair Lady, that'd be something else to see in Fire Emblem too

One Fire Emblem character I've always envisioned isn't something I'd chalk up to a gimmick, but it is a type of character common in period pieces - the snake oil salesman. The type of person that peddles exotic elixirs that can cure any ailment. In a Fire Emblem universe where such curatives and magic really do exist in the highest echelons of society, somebody could make a killing selling fake medicines on the fringe of kingdoms where plainsfolk don't know any better and lawmen don't care enough to crack down on fake enterprises. This guy would be the apothecary class, returning from Fates. Bet you didn't remember they existed, eh? But instead of improving potions for personal use, he can dispense them to adjacent allies for both minor healing and buffing. And his support pool would delve into how somebody can fail so spectacularly to empathize with others that they'd make a living on deceiving people. Maybe explain it how many wartime doctors do: he hates fixing people up just to see them get killed in conflicts that don't ultimately concern them. But at the end of the day, he's scum. He can be redeemed - he has the power and knowledge to genuinely help people like any doctor, just don't have him only be redeemed through the love of dozens of potential partners in S Supports. Also his recruitment into the army is purely to avoid jail time after the lord's crew have discovered the nature of his operation. Maybe give the player the ability to lock him up anyway if you want that element of player choice thrown in.