Create a Personality Gimmick!

Jotari

An old guy who is a bit hard of hearing bless him, so he always shouts when he speaks. ...And screams when he's on the battlefield because I imagine it's gonna be a bit noisy there.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

What? Teseo's awesome, why would anyone hate him?!

Some people don't like memes but i've also never met anyone who actually hates Teseo which means my faith in humanity still remains.

4 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Really, any gimmicks the Gunvolt characters have that haven't been used yet ought to be - we could use a Ghauri, constantly trying to make his every sentence into poetry but ending up just…being. Gibril's weird Armed-Blue-hard-on she exhibits in her post-death fight could theoretically be used too, but…I dunno, I'd probably not use that, it could get really weird pretty fast. Whats-her-face, the Hair Lady, that'd be something else to see in Fire Emblem too

I'd love a Ghauri-type character in FE. As for Gibril, they could take her gimmick before her death in which she hates it when anyone calls her a kid. Basically, it's the Ricken gimmick to the extreme. Desna doesn't really have a gimmick though. She's actually pretty normal, apart from her obvious Love Deluxe Stand Splitting Ends Septima. If anything, the gimmick actually comes from her followers, which treat her hair as if it's a gift from God himself. Yeah, let's have that in FE. It'd be regulated to a boss character probably but let's have a character who's actually pretty normal and the gimmick comes from his/her followers instead. It'd be a nice twist on the whole gimmick trope.

Unrelated but i find it interesting that Gunvolt characters (mainly the bosses) look gimmicky on the outside but they have fleshed out backstories that's just never really brought up in-game. You gotta go though all the supplementary material that only released in Japan.

Edited by Armagon

On 4/10/2018 at 6:39 PM, eclipse said:

Someone who's very much against the non-human race(s) in the game.  Not because of xenophobia, but because they're allergic to them (especially if it's a fuzzy race like every last beast variant).

I have a pair of friends who basically flipped this idea on its end.  One person plays a Cat Laguz, and the other plays an Archer who is allergic to cat fur, but the two make an effective fighting pair and are good friends, so she has to take a specific herb in order to not feel dizzy around him.

9 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

the snake oil salesman. The type of person that peddles exotic elixirs that can cure any ailment. his support pool would delve into how somebody can fail so spectacularly to empathize with others that they'd make a living on deceiving people. at the end of the day, he's scum.

Put him in the thief class, give him some goofy-ass hair, and name him "The Donald."  #MakeFireEmblemGreatAgain 
_______

An eccentric mage who claims to have been contacted by "The Visitors" and flown through the heavens in their "Great Wheel in the Sky."  Describes his experience in what the player will instantly recognize as an account of a U.F.O. abduction. Claims that "The Visitors" are still in contact with him, though we never see any evidence of this and no one else can hear anything when he claims they are speaking to him.

Generally regarded as batshit insane by the rest of the cast, and his stories about the Visitors and the Great Wheel in the Sky are generally dismissed as the ramblings of a madman.  He says enough utterly insane things that the player would generally be inclined to agree.

...However...

Sometimes in the course of a random conversation, he will display anachronistically advanced knowledge of science and technology and state scientifically accurate information about astronomy and modern medicine that he shouldn't possibly be able to know.

Other characters will ask him how he knows this. And he will say: "The Visitors told me."

Said other characters will then dismissively regard his information as insane ramblings and think nothing of it. But the player will know that he has just demonstrated a ludicrously advanced understanding of modern science. 

And that gives the player room enough to look at his supposedly insane abduction story and say: "Oh shit. Maybe he's not crazy...maybe that really happened..."    

Edited by Shoblongoo

6 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Put him in the thief class, give him some goofy-ass hair, and name him "The Donald."  #MakeFireEmblemGreatAgain 
_______

An eccentric mage who claims to have been contacted by "The Visitors" and flown beyond through the heavens in their "Great Wheel in the Sky."  Describes his experience in what the player will instantly recognize as an account of a U.F.O. abduction. Claims that "The Visitors" are still in contact with him, though we never see any evidence of this and no one else can hear anything when he claims they are speaking to him.

Generally regarded as batshit insane by the rest of the cast, and his stories about the Visitors and the Great Wheel in the Sky are generally dismissed as the ramblings of a madman.  He says enough utterly insane things that the player would generally be inclined to agree.

...However...

Sometimes in the course of a random conversation, he will display anachronistically advanced knowledge of science and technology and state scientifically accurate information about astronomy and modern medicine that he shouldn't possibly be able to know.

Other characters will ask him how he knows this. And he will say: "The Visitors told me."

Said other characters will then dismissively regard his information as insane ramblings and think nothing of it. But the player will know that he has just demonstrated a ludicrously advanced understanding of modern science. 

And that gives the player room enough to look at his supposedly insane abduction story and say: "Oh shit. Maybe he's not crazy...maybe that really happened..."    

Paul - Mysterious Envoy?

2 Wins     0 Losses

Paul survived the events of the war, and continued to preach about the visitors.

He completely vanished one day, never to be seen again.

Many others have claimed to have seen these Visitors since.

Edited by Jotari

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Some people don't like memes but i've also never met anyone who actually hates Teseo which means my faith in humanity still remains.

I'd love a Ghauri-type character in FE. As for Gibril, they could take her gimmick before her death in which she hates it when anyone calls her a kid. Basically, it's the Ricken gimmick to the extreme. Desna doesn't really have a gimmick though. She's actually pretty normal, apart from her obvious Love Deluxe Stand Splitting Ends Septima. If anything, the gimmick actually comes from her followers, which treat her hair as if it's a gift from God himself. Yeah, let's have that in FE. It'd be regulated to a boss character probably but let's have a character who's actually pretty normal and the gimmick comes from his/her followers instead. It'd be a nice twist on the whole gimmick trope.

Unrelated but i find it interesting that Gunvolt characters (mainly the bosses) look gimmicky on the outside but they have fleshed out backstories that's just never really brought up in-game. You gotta go though all the supplementary material that only released in Japan.

That's because it's literally impossible to hate Teseo if you like the internet at all - someone on the Gunvolt Wikia summed him up as the physical embodiment of all things internet, and the more you think about it, the more true it becomes. How else would he know about Quinn? Google Maps. The QUILL attack on Sumeragi during his duel with our favorite World of RoboCraft player that he takes claim for? Literally anyone trying to talk about their achievements on the internet. This is of course before you get to his Septima, capable of allowing anyone to access their Waifu/Husbando in real life, shown with his summoning of Ekoro during aforementioned duel. Who wouldn't like that idea?

Yeah, the whole psycho-follower-hair-fetish thing is what I was talking about. She does claim to be a prophetess who talks to the stars, though, so she's only normal subjectively when compared to the others. Stratos is another interesting concept I wouldn't mind seeing if it was done properly - escaped test subject so addicted to a substance that no longer exists that he can barely function properly? Sounds intriguing - you could do a Manakete in late stages of degeneration, perhaps?

I actually found Viper very intriguing after reading some of his backstory, and Elise is…er, was…a gamer, so that made her seem cooler to me as well. Again, RIP non-internationalized everything.

Edited by SoulWeaver

• 1 month later...

How about a fighter or mercenary or something along those lines who can only communicate in grunts and occasionally short one to two syllable words, perhaps due to an injury or from living in isolation. Either way I think it could be fun, though that may be because in my head I keep imagining he sounds like Andy Serkis in Planet of the Apes.

On 5/29/2018 at 8:35 AM, illegal knight said:

A male Armor Knight started to to taking off his armor pieces, and said it because he is a Dancer in his heart. He became a stripper.

I would PAY to see this lol. I can actually kinda see it from Gatrie if he wanted to impress a pretty female dancer.

On 5/30/2018 at 7:30 PM, Scoot said:

A refresher-type character, but instead of being a bard or dancer they're a stand-up comic.

I sort of had this idea with the Jester class I made up.

—————————————

Mine…a Spanish-looking archer looking for a bow made out of roses (literally) and has the hots for different types of horses.

What about a Pegasus Knight trio who flip their normal 'stereotypes', so to speak?

The oldest is whiny and bratty instead of comforting and motherly.

The middle is extroverted and brash instead of dour and inner-facing.

The youngest is calm and rational instead of cocky and sweet.

On 5/29/2018 at 7:35 AM, illegal knight said:

A male Armor Knight started to to taking off his armor pieces, and said it because he is a Dancer in his heart. He became a stripper.

I'm gonna steal that for my fic real quick

An Axe fighter that goes Berserk after a certain number of turns. An archer or bow knight who pays attention to details and is kind of a precise character maybe even a little bit of a perfectionist.

An Axe cavalier who is kind the strong and reliable type very loyal to the group perhaps is of commoner type background.

A lord who is kind of brasen, spends a lot of time at the arena, gambling and in taverns much to the displeasure of his peers and advisors. He/or she it could be a she lives for adventure, excitement, the thrill of the moment and likes to have fun a bit of a wild card.

A dark mage who is the tactician and is the calm and quiet type the kind who is control of their emotions nearly at all times is rarely riled or flustered.

A healer who is similar to Friar Tuck (not above mischevious misdemeanors, ate the kings deer, enjoyed a nice glass of wine, etc.) enjoys a good battle, has a hearty appetite and enjoys a good mug of mead or beer.

Ok, I'm having way too much fun with this I better stop now.

1 hour ago, AndrogynousBasil said:

An incredibly trigger-happy mage, who' default response to all solutions is to just blast everyone with their tome of choice. In a lot of their supports they could be approached by the other character and then accidentally fry them with magic.

Isn't this kind of Henry?

A dancer or bard who attacks their enemies in sync with some music. Essentially this:

Spoiler

Warning that there is some slight blood at the end, but it's not too bad.

A more scruffy and rugged looking Pegasus knight that was a woods(wo)man, and thus has several wilderness survival skills that would pop up in supports and maybe even in gameplay.

A dread fighter who is a few years ahead of their time, and thus enjoys spouting out attack names, and combining magic with their physical movements and attacks to make unique "special moves" of ranging practicality. I don't know whether they'd be more fun as a recruitable character or as a boss.

A high-defense character that's either a stuntman or actor who does their own stunts. Their high defense would not come from their armor or being tough, but instead from simply knowing the proper way to take a hit without getting hurt.

A character that thinks they're in an adventure game. They wonder what the weakness of enemies they can't damage are, when they'll finally have a puzzle to solve, and why the dungeons aren't teaming with puzzles, traps, and gold. They might also have a few unique items at their disposal that may or may not be helpful in a strategy game, and they might have the "try/combine everything on/with everything" mentality as a nod to point-and-click games

4 hours ago, Corrobin said:

Isn't this kind of Henry?

I was thinking more along the lines of like they'e super agitated all the time and the slightest thing sets them off. They'e constantly paranoid someone or something is going to do them in and they end up being a danger to those around them because they respond with full force.

• 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=Ideas from here I really like.]

On 4/10/2018 at 4:12 PM, (s)ad touch said:

A Wyvern lord who signed up for the cavalier division but because he was so much stronger than the rest of the recruits, they put him on a wyvern. 

Problem being, he's fucking terrified of them. Dragons that is. That would be hilarious.

On 4/10/2018 at 5:15 PM, Shoblongoo said:

How about a Berserker or a Warrior or a Hero who's an actual, bone-fide barbarian?

...as in not fit for civilized company.

...as in he is he only  joined your warband self-recruited to fortify himself on your meat and ale, ravage your maidenfolk, and harvest the blood and skulls of your enemies in the name of his primitive god.

...as in:

Reveal hidden contents

Related image

On 4/11/2018 at 11:04 AM, Lightchao42 said:

One of my ideas is a guy whom everyone thinks is a famous hero but he really isn't. Said character (let's call him Ziegfried) is a below average swordsman, but because he has a similar name, appearance, and fighting style to the legendary swordsman Siegfried, everyone in the army thinks that he is Siegfried. Unlike Samuel and Shannam, though, Ziegfried's impersonation is purely accidental. He's very insistent that he isn't Siegfried, but everyone else ignores this because they think he's just being humble about his talent and accomplishments. The other characters treat him with reverence/fear or view him as a rival, despite Ziegfried's protests that he is not Siegfried.

At some point in a paralouge, the player's army runs into the real Siegfried. Siegfried has heard that he has an impersonator running around and decided to investigate, but everyone now believes that the real Siegfried is the impersonator (despite him being far more statically imposing than Ziegfried). After the battle, Siegfried privately meets with Ziegfried and officially names him his successor so he can peacefully retire from heroism (since everyone already believes that Ziegfried is Siegfried anyway). Ziegfried is baffled the entire time, but Siegfried gives him his sword, a formidable personal weapon, as a gift for his trouble.

There's also the obligatory fanservice character who, instead of being in love with them, absolutely hates the protagonist for no apparent reason. In her ending it's revealed that she hates the lord for an extraordinarily petty reason, like they forgot to return a toy ten years ago or something. She still ends up being the most popular character in the game.

Finally, there's a mage who sought the secret to immortality but ended up making himself a skeleton instead. He has his own "Skeleton" class which has pathetic stats, but has a random chance of taking no damage when attacked by an enemy (and permadeath doesn't apply to him, so he can be used in the next chapter even if he "dies"). He probably also takes off his arm to bludgeon the enemy with or something, and most of his dialogue consists of bone related puns.

On 4/12/2018 at 11:15 AM, Shoblongoo said:

An eccentric mage who claims to have been contacted by "The Visitors" and flown through the heavens in their "Great Wheel in the Sky."  Describes his experience in what the player will instantly recognize as an account of a U.F.O. abduction. Claims that "The Visitors" are still in contact with him, though we never see any evidence of this and no one else can hear anything when he claims they are speaking to him.

...However...

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Ideas from here I just normal like.]

On 4/10/2018 at 5:30 PM, Faellin said:

A very shy armor knight. The reason they chose that class? So they can hide in the armor like a turtle when they are afraid. Think Olivia, but as an armor knight.

A thief who uses his sneaking skills to pull pranks and such on enemy forces. Stuff like placing silly notes on enemies armor. Another thing is after taking the useful contents from enemy chests, he refills it with all sorts of nonsense, all to make the enemy forces look stupid. Basically a huge troll.

On 4/11/2018 at 12:40 AM, NekoKnight said:

A girl so concerned with her body image that she never takes off her armor, great helm included, in the presence of others. She keeps the helmet on, even in the marriage bed.

On 4/10/2018 at 7:39 PM, eclipse said:

Someone who's very much against the non-human race(s) in the game.  Not because of xenophobia, but because they're allergic to them (especially if it's a fuzzy race like every last beast variant).

On 4/11/2018 at 12:36 AM, EdeaCreamer said:

A BIG beefcake fellow whose main class line is Mage/Dark Mage. He's not particularly talented in magic, but he took to studying it anyway because of how happy it made his mom, an accomplished Sage/Sorcerer. They loved each other very much, but she's passed on by the point in the game where you meet him, so now it serves as a reminder of her whenever he's holding a Tome. Stat-wise, his Mag is pretty unimpressive, but his Skl and Spd are decent, and his HP/Def/Res are all through the roof.

On 4/12/2018 at 1:58 AM, Glennstavos said:

One Fire Emblem character I've always envisioned isn't something I'd chalk up to a gimmick, but it is a type of character common in period pieces - the snake oil salesman. The type of person that peddles exotic elixirs that can cure any ailment. In a Fire Emblem universe where such curatives and magic really do exist in the highest echelons of society, somebody could make a killing selling fake medicines on the fringe of kingdoms where plainsfolk don't know any better and lawmen don't care enough to crack down on fake enterprises. This guy would be the apothecary class, returning from Fates. Bet you didn't remember they existed, eh? But instead of improving potions for personal use, he can dispense them to adjacent allies for both minor healing and buffing. And his support pool would delve into how somebody can fail so spectacularly to empathize with others that they'd make a living on deceiving people. Maybe explain it how many wartime doctors do: he hates fixing people up just to see them get killed in conflicts that don't ultimately concern them. But at the end of the day, he's scum. He can be redeemed - he has the power and knowledge to genuinely help people like any doctor, just don't have him only be redeemed through the love of dozens of potential partners in S Supports. Also his recruitment into the army is purely to avoid jail time after the lord's crew have discovered the nature of his operation. Maybe give the player the ability to lock him up anyway if you want that element of player choice thrown in.

On 4/11/2018 at 1:02 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Another idea- the Quarter-Life Crisis Kid. A young adult approaching 20 (18-19), which we will define as about 1/4 of one's life. With this revelation dawning on them, they suddenly exaggerate their age, feeling older than they are, saying things to the effect of "when I was young" and thinking the time for youthful idealism and passions are over with, or at least winding down. While this generally deters them from doing bold and risky things, sometimes it drives them to want to act on their dying youth, to leap optimistically and dramatically into youthful ventures while it still lasts. Needless to say, on at least one occasion, the daring leaps end badly.

On 4/11/2018 at 1:58 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

A character who dislikes the concept of healing magic and refuses it. They believe purely in natural health and strength, rejecting magical means of enhancing one's self and lifestyle.

[/spoiler]

On 4/10/2018 at 9:35 PM, Hawkwing said:
  • A  laguz with an interest in human culture and art.
    • Potentially combined with the above, a person who paints/sketches during the battle.

That last part was actually something Forde did.

On 4/10/2018 at 5:27 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Another, a ventriloquist- prefers talking to people via personas projected on objects and other things, rather than speak directly as themselves.

Devdan was skilled ventriloquist. Or, was it Danved? I can't keep those two straight sometimes. It was even less "his gimmick" than drawing on the battlefield was for Forde.

On 4/11/2018 at 5:04 AM, FRZNHeir said:

Someone like Gaius, but instead of a thief with a candy obsession, have it be like, an enemy merc who wandered into the camp because of the smell of the food, and immediately switches sides. Like, just have his whole thing be complaining about how bad the enemy's rations are. He became a merc to afford good food, dammit, and he will do anything to get it.

(Personal skill could be get a boost in combat if paired with someone carrying a food-related item (Joke weapons, confections, ect.) OR if paired with one of the good cooks in the army)

This is another idea I really like, but I kept it separate because I wanted to mention a character gimmick that would match it perfectly: a chef.

Now, I don't mean one of those namby Frenchmen with their stupid hats and culinary school experience. I mean a real, home-cooked-meal-making Southern-style chef.

"A pound of butter? That ain't nearly enough for a pound cake!"

On 4/11/2018 at 5:58 AM, Armagon said:

Now that i think about it, let's have a Teseo-type character in Fire Emblem. One that basically just speaks in memes. The difference between Teseo and this hypothetical character is that even if you hate Teseo, it's fine because you get to kill him.....twice. But this hypothetical meme character is an ally who joins automatically at the start of a chapter so you have to put up with him for the rest of the game. He'd be the pinncale of "you either love or hate this character".

An odd twist on this idea would be if a character primarily made jokes and references which originate from Medieval times, instead of using modern memes. The primary issue with that is that it would take a lot of research into Medieval Memery and very few people would get the joke.

On 4/11/2018 at 9:38 AM, Shoblongoo said:

An old healer/priest whose gimmick is that hes  a preacher trying to evangelize his faith, and he takes it all just a bit too seriously.

Supports consist of him constantly reminding the less pious among the group that Emmeryn died for their sins. That short skirts and bare midriffs are the devil's playthings. And that they're all going straight to hell for their premarital S-Supports, unless they repent and accept Naga into their hearts.   

On 4/11/2018 at 11:00 AM, Hawkwing said:

Y'now, if this priest character is actually calm, reasonable, and genuinely faithful, rather than the stereotyped shouting and accusing type, I genuinely wouldn't mind seeing this. It could lead to some interesting discussion on modesty, faith, and the like.

Keep in mind when I say this that I'm more of a prude than not, but I wouldn't mind a caricature of an older conservative evangelical.

However, I think it would be enhanced if were to be put against a caricature of a young antitheist liberal. Anything which already exists is necessarily evil and Chesterton's Fence is a blasphemous idea even though the idea of blasphemy doesn't exist according to his black and white worldview on how all morals are subjective.

They could have a support chain where the two surprisingly act decently towards each each other. However, it's not because they respect each other or anything. It's because they want to prove the superiority of their ideology by demonstrating superior character to the opposition.

As for some of my own ideas...

A character who is constantly boastful and condescending to their allies because they have all the latest technology. They see it as a status symbol and do everything in their power to keep up with the latest inventions. All the other lowlifes in the army can only dream of cutting edge inventions such as mechanical clocks, heavy plows, and political science.

A cavalier of the Cain and Abel archetype who is a monarchist. Loyal to the main character and said protagonist's ideals.

A cavalier of the Cain and Abel archetype who is a republican. Loyal to the country and its associated ideals.

Supports in which they debate the merits of their ideology could but most likely wouldn't be very interesting.

Then you have the aforementioned antitheist and chef, and...that's all I got.

29 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

A cavalier of the Cain and Abel archetype who is a monarchist. Loyal to the main character and said protagonist's ideals.

A cavalier of the Cain and Abel archetype who is a republican. Loyal to the country and its associated ideals.

Supports in which they debate the merits of their ideology could but most likely wouldn't be very interesting.

Ohhhhhhh. I really like that.

Not even a monarchist vs. a republican per-se; but any christmas knight duo where they're gimmick is they're brothers-at-arms and best friends and would die for eachother. But they have diametrically opposing political ideas + philosophies on serfdom and lordship and war and peace and the like, and they're constantly getting into heady political arguments about the events unfolding around them (not only in their supports but in plot progression).

You look a duo like Kent/Sain, and while they never get full-on political as part of their role in the story it doesn't take that much imagination to think that if they did they might have that kind of dynamic.

...Kent's personality suggesting that he would likely be an arch-conservative, with staunchly deferential views to traditional values and legal orthodoxy and strict class and gender roles.

...Sain's personality suggesting that he would likely be far more--liberalized--in his thinking.

I'd love to see a Kain/Abel dynamic where those differences take to the forefront of their interactions. And the knights have a habit of verbally sparring in an explicitly political manner.

That would be a really nice piece of characterization (and excellent worldbuilding tool--a fire emblem setting always feels more like a fleshed out world when you have politics and intrigue and characters giving their take on it. If you really look at the settings that are considered more developed vs. the settings that are considered underdeveloped, that IMO is the real difference between the Tellius's and the Judgal's vs. the Nohr/Hoshido's and the Magvel's. Those little attentions-to-detail in the internal politics of the settings)

Definitely hope we get something like that, and that seems like one they may actually use.     

Edited by Shoblongoo