Publishing order vs. chronological order for The Chronicles of Narnia

Tango

I've seen this debated all over the internet. I'm going to read this series soon, and I'm wondering what your opinion is on what order to read the books in. It seems like a lot of people swear by the publishing order, but others insist on reading them chronologically.

Which is the better experience?

I usually always read books in publishing order since there's usually a good reason the author or editor put them that way. Obviously, I can't speak for this series, though, since I haven't read it.

I often feel when books are published out of order it's because the author came up with a new plot idea, rather than because they planned for it to be such.

Anyway, sometimes I think things should be done in chronological order, and sometimes I think they should be done in order of publication. But most of the time - and this is the case for Narnia as well - I feel things should be done chronologically. When things are chronological, you can see the plot progress as it does, seeing the story and world though the eyes of the characters, with time progressing in a standard direction as it does in the real world.

Edited by Rex Glacies

I read them in publishing order since that was the order my mom had her set in and I liked reading them in that order.  Magician's Nephew worked well as the book right before the Last Battle and I liked reading it after the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe because at least to me it made more sense that way.

They can be read both ways. I remember reading them in order of publication the first time through as a kid, but every other time I've read them chronologically. Honestly, that might be the best way to do so. The Magician's Nephew has backstory that's more interesting and satisfying to read after going through the other books first, but once you know the full story, reading the books in chronological order has it's own merits. It helps that the books can be read in a day, so it doesn't take much time to reread the series.

Hmm, well, I've done both.

At the end of the day, I'd say it can go either way. The books were mostly written and published in their chronological order anyway, with only A Horse and his Boy and The Magician Nephew's being out of order. A Horse and his Boy is a self-contained story, so as long you read it after The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (which you'd do regardless of going the chronological or publishing order), it's fine. As for The Magician's Nephew, well, its role is to basically serve as exposition. And from my understanding, it covers mainly stuff from The Lion, h Witch, and the Wardrobe, anyway. Like A Horse and his Boy, it's also mostly self-contained. So I say it's no big deal when you want to learn that stuff. So long it's all before the last book, of course.

In the end, I would prefer going in chronologically, but that's more out of being a bit of a continuity-obssesed individual.

I read them in publishing order but you could really go either way.

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe is a solid stand alone book, so what I might do would be to read that one first, and then think if you want to continue that book directly, or get some more backstory on the whole world. 

However you read them, enjoy!

publishing order for sure.

I think even if chronological, it should be done chronological except magican's nephew. That one's gottta be pushed after (even immediately after) Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe.

I read them in publishing order and it wasn’t a problem.  Chronological is probably fine too.  Whatever you decide, you should probably start with the lion the witch and the wardrobe.  It is fine as a stand-alone book and a good introduction and description of the world.

It's down to personal preference.

I prefer to read in chronological order, myself, and that's the order that Narnia was originally presented in to me. It made the most sense, and it feels more natural to read it that way. I hate skipping around all over the timelines (especially with some authors and their series, which can get very muddled).

I started with Magician's Nephew (though admittedly, had seen the movie Lion, Witch and Wardrobe before). As a book on its own, it is as good as introduction to the Narnia world as  Lion, Witch and Wardrobe and leads nicely into it.

Others will prefer other ways, and that's fine, too. I'm not even sure why it's debated. Who really cares if I read chronologically? It won't affect someone else reading in publishing order instead.