Shadow Dragon - Updated Gaiden Requirements Removal Patch

[account inactive]

This is an update to the Gaiden Requirements Removal Patch, made by Robert of Normandy a.k.a. RobertTheSable. Robert gave permission for the modding community to freely use his patch, and a link to his written permission is included in the documentation. In Robert's own words, this patch is:

"Patch for Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon that removes the unit limits to get in to Chapters 6x, 12x, 17x, and 20x. In other words, you can get into those chapters without killing off your own units."

Unfortunately, there was a bug with the original patch that made the character of Ymir, if recruited using the patch, have zero movement - effectively making him useless. This updated patch fixes this long-standing bug with Ymir's movement. As part of the fix, Ymir will now actively move during Chapter 20x (instead of being stationary, as he is in the unmodded game), and his dialogue has been slightly altered to reflect this.

To be clear, YOU DO NOT NEED THE ORIGINAL GAIDEN REQUIREMENTS REMOVAL PATCH TO USE THIS MOD. This is effectively a replacement for the original patch, and incorporates all of its features already, in addition to fixing the Ymir movement bug.

If you're using my Prologue in Hard Modes patch, YOU DO NOT NEED THIS FIX, as it has already been incorporated into that mod.

This was made using the US version of FE11, so you should use an .nds file from that region.

Please note you'll have to acquire a copy of the FE11 .nds legally; only the patch is included in the download.

Installation:

1. If you have not already, download the Delta Patcher utility here: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/704/

2. Extract DeltaPatcherLite.exe, UpdatedGRRP.xdelta, and your unmodified .nds file of FE11 to the same folder.

3. Open DeltaPatcherLite.exe.

4. Click the "Open" button for the "Original file" box and select the unmodified .nds file of FE11.

5. Click the "Open" button for the "XDelta patch" box and select UpdatedGRRP.xdelta.

6. Click the "Apply Patch" button. Users with older PCs may have to wait a few moments.

7. Your previously unmodified file, which you selected in step 4 as the "Original file", is the patched ROM you should now use.

(Optional) To confirm that the patch applied correctly, double-check that the checksum, MD5, and SHA-1 values match up with the ones listed on the below RH.net page. If you don't know what those are, use a utility like this one to see what your patched ROM's values are. If they're different, you probably used an .nds file from the wrong region - you need to use a US ROM.

Download here

Download DeltaPatcher from here (you need this to apply the patch to your ROM)

Credits and Acknowledgments:

- Robert of Normandy a.k.a. RobertTheSable for his Gaiden Requirements Removal Patch. Permission was given to incorporate this patch into other hacks here:
https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/51430-fe-shadow-dragon-gaiden-requirements-removal-patch/&do=findComment&comment=3665588
- Blazer for their suite of Shadow Dragon hacking tools, which can be found here:
http://www.feshrine.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=422&p=85130
- Mariode for their update to said suite of tools, which can be found here:
https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/66930-fe-shadow-dragon-unit-disposition-editor-modules-itemclass-editor-update/
- SadNES cITy Translations for their Delta Patcher tool, which can be found here:
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/704/
- Nuthingdude for providing a save file at Chapter 20 for use in bugtesting the Ymir fix
- Will and Sam for their inexplicably continued friendship

Edited by Cirosan
Updated instructions

It was brought to my attention that Ymir's stats were erroneously scaling up with difficulty like a regular enemy, giving him massively inflated stats upon recruitment. The mod has been updated to fix this - download the new version from the link in the OP.

This should be backwards-compatible with old saves - if you're using Desmume, use options to import and export backup memory.

Starting with this version, DeltaPatcherLite is directly packaged in the archive too.

Oh, and to answer @Kruggov
Yes, you still do need to have an extra unit die during the prologue to obtain Norne. I'm looking into ways around this, though.

8 minutes ago, Cirosan said:

It was brought to my attention that Ymir's stats were erroneously scaling up with difficulty like a regular enemy, giving him massively inflated stats upon recruitment. The mod has been updated to fix this - download the new version from the link in the OP.

This should be backwards-compatible with old saves - if you're using Desmume, use options to import and export backup memory.

Starting with this version, DeltaPatcherLite is directly packaged in the archive too.

Oh, and to answer @Kruggov
Yes, you still do need to have an extra unit die during the prologue to obtain Norne. I'm looking into ways around this, though.

Well, I think a "band-aid" change would be to make Aum 2-use - so that you can revive both Tiki and whoever dies in the prologue, otherwise you have to choose between either getting Norne and NOT going to 24x if you want no-one to stay dead OR you skip Norne and go to 24x - the only way to get both is to cheat another use into Aum. Still removes at least one of the prologue guys into the game until 24 (by which time they are basically useless), but better that them staying dead. Alternatively, add a second Aum to 24x somewhere.

On 16/4/2018 at 5:17 PM, Ablast6 said:

This is neat, don't see why anyone'd need/want this though. The death requirements are one of the best things about the game IMO.

That kind of requirement sucks because fire emblem tends to be realistic when it comes to death units (they don't come back) and killing off units in hopes to getting a shining new one (and an awful one on that) is kind of retarded

Besides, Story-wise Marth it's against that kind of thinking

On 16/4/2018 at 11:17 PM, Ablast6 said:

This is neat, don't see why anyone'd need/want this though. The death requirements are one of the best things about the game IMO.

I disagree, but only partially.

On the one hand, the prologue sacrifice is nothing short of brilliant, in my opinion. For a series with permanent death as one of its main brand traits, Fire Emblem never really exploits it that much. It's just... a thing that's there, and unless you're Ironmanning (the fact that this way of playing has a name should be enough of an indicative of how "alternative" it is considered, compared to the "regular" resetting runs), it never really comes into play.
Shadow Dragon forces you to sacrifice someone who never, ever comes back. Sure, FE12 establishes that Frey barely survived, but as far as it concerns FE11, the decoy's gone forever. It actually adds weight to Gra's betrayal and Marth's very dire situation, being thrown out of his country, forced to leave people behind left and right just to save his own hide. For that, I really like this moment.

As well, the requirement for 24x makes sense, as it provides a sure-fire way of taking care of Medeus in case you lost/couldn't obtain every other tool to kill him, at the expense of losing Gotoh. Getting both would simply trivialize the final chapter, and wouldn't make much sense from a plot standpoint (Gotoh only sent them to the alterspire because there was no other way, and considering he didn't show up for the final battle, it can be assumed it took all of his power to teleport Marth and co. there).

Norne... Norne gets a pass from me, simply because she's extremely easy to obtain, compared to everyone else. You just have to kill another unit as well as the decoy. Gordin, being another Archer who would more or less be rendered redundant by Norne's presence, works wonders. If noone had to die, it would be perfect, but from what I've heard, that might prove to be too hard to accomplish from the technical side of things. Then again, I know nothing, Cirosan is the expert here.

On the other hand, however, are the other gaiden chapters (Athena, Horace, Etzel and Ymir). The massacre of playable units required for these doesn't add anything to the story (you could argue that, like 24x, the party has no reason to go there unless they're craving for more troops, but nothing in the script supports this argument. Quite the opposite, actually, since they're all about helping villagers out or finishing off the remnants of Dolhr's minions and allies in countries reclaimed by Marth. What, do those guys just vanish from existance if Marth has more than 15 soldiers?), it doesn't make any sense gameplay-wise (I like the gaiden units, but they're far from essential, much unlike getting Medeusbanes when you've lost all your Medeusbanes), and unlike Norne, you have to kill dozens of units to get them. Those would've been better off with a simple turn limit.

In my humble opinion, as it is right now, the patch is good. If Norne could get recruited without killing Gordin, it would be swell, but I don't think it's that important, so don't feel too bad if you can't pull it off, Cirosan.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

• 2 weeks later...