What is this thing? And how do I get rid of it?

MetalAmethyst

er...

you mean that vertical line between the whole purple tornado thing or you meant the whole purple tornado thing?

Because I can't really make out what this is supposed to be.

30 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

er...

you mean that vertical line between the whole purple tornado thing or you meant the whole purple tornado thing?

Because I can't really make out what this is supposed to be.

The vertical line.

looks like you either have dead or stuck pixels on your screen, dead meaning that they dont work any-more and stuck pixels meaning they are stuck at a certain colour which generally goes away after a while or leaving the screen of for a few days 

Your monitor might have dead pixels from age and maybe it the pixels just died, either way I recommend a new monitor if it's over 10 years old. Best of luck!

Yeah, definitely dead pixels.  One time I got a computer monitor that came with a giant thick line about the width of a fist that went down the whole screen.  Luckily I got it replaced, but that was, like, an hour of my time wasted going back and forth between the store and home.

You can't save a monitor that has dead pixels.  You need to replace it.  If you have an unexpired warranty or even got it recently enough (and have the receipt), you can probably get it replaced.  Otherwise, you'll have to buck up and buy a new one.

2 hours ago, Yazuki said:

Your monitor might have dead pixels from age and maybe it the pixels just died, either way I recommend a new monitor if it's over 10 years old. Best of luck!

52 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Yeah, definitely dead pixels.  One time I got a computer monitor that came with a giant thick line about the width of a fist that went down the whole screen.  Luckily I got it replaced, but that was, like, an hour of my time wasted going back and forth between the store and home.

You can't save a monitor that has dead pixels.  You need to replace it.  If you have an unexpired warranty or even got it recently enough (and have the receipt), you can probably get it replaced.  Otherwise, you'll have to buck up and buy a new one.

This was from my laptop. I'm not sure I can replace anything.

6 minutes ago, MetalAmethyst said:

This was from my laptop. I'm not sure I can replace anything.

You know, just as I was about to post, the thought that you might have a laptop did go through my head.

You can still replace it and keep all your files and whatnot intact... it'd just be a more involved and much more expensive process than replacing a simple desktop monitor.  It would involve copying all your files to an external hard drive with lots of space (or extracting the internal hard drive to transfer it to another computer, but that's not a good idea with laptops) and, yes, buying a new computer.  But that would be your only option if you want to get rid of that line.

I thought this was going to be some kid talking about his erection. I was going to say that you're probably an expert already on making it going away, so you wouldn't need my advice.

But yeah, I have no idea what that is. I work in the medical field so if it doesn't involve starting an IV or tying schizos to a stretcher I'm useless.

11 hours ago, Charmeleonbrah said:

I thought this was going to be some kid talking about his erection. I was going to say that you're probably an expert already on making it going away, so you wouldn't need my advice.

But yeah, I have no idea what that is. I work in the medical field so if it doesn't involve starting an IV or tying schizos to a stretcher I'm useless.

I started chuckling as soon as I read this. But, yeah, I didn't exactly make a decent title out of this, though that wasn't the point.

Out of curiosity, specially since everyone is suggesting to buy a new laptop, could you replace the laptop screen?  I'm kinda curious how that would work, if it is even possible, seeing as my own laptop doesn't seem to have any way of detaching the upper half (the hinges don't seem to have screws or any way to remove them).

On 21/04/2018 at 3:39 AM, MetalAmethyst said:

I do not have the funds necessary for buying one. In other words, I'm broke.

does your laptop have heavy items placed on top of it as this will often be the cause of irregularity's present on the screen. If the pixels are just stuck you could play a video which will rapidly go through the colour spectrum and will fix the problem if said screen is suffering from stuck pixels. When I had this problem I left my computer screen off for around 48 hours and afterwards it was ok. If it is dead pixels I hope you can get it repaired for a fair price.