What's up with Alex Jones/Bill Hicks?

indigoasis

The meme man himself, conspiracy theorist Alex Jones. I saw an article talking about how there were parents suing him for claiming that the Sandy Hook shooting was fake. It's probably a publicity stunt, and I want to tread as lightly as possible here, but that got me thinking...

What the hell is up with this guy? I don't know much about him, but I've seen memes of the guy, so that surely makes me qualified to talk about him.

This should probably be in Far From the Forest, but I also want to have a serious discussion about him... if that's even possible.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's an act that pretty much appeals to the fringe conspiracy theorists. He's a crazy ass guy who says crazy ass things for ratings. It's very scary that he's more or less conditioned many in our society against fact.

To add to that wonderful and woefully trippy LWT segment (because I swear, half the time I see LWT i felt like I just took acid) here's a representation of how parents of victims are harassed by conspiracy theorists:

https://videosift.com/wtf/video/False-Flag-Hoaxers-Claim-Mass-Shootings-Are-Staged

A lot of this seems to be pretty much a follow-up from other commentators like Rush Limbaugh as well, and a natural evolution into something even more absurd. But rest assured, you're not the crazy one; he's been saying crazy shit for years and indoctrinating Americans on things that aren't logic while flaunting his riches in public.

I'll end this on this note:

11 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

To add to that wonderful and woefully trippy LWT segment (because I swear, half the time I see LWT i felt like I just took acid) here's a representation of how parents of victims are harassed by conspiracy theorists:

https://videosift.com/wtf/video/False-Flag-Hoaxers-Claim-Mass-Shootings-Are-Staged

That pastor's patience is absolutely remarkable. There was one point that I saw where he was about to lose his cool, but stopped himself. Respect.

He is an moron who I am sad to admit my dad listened to when I was a little kid, his show would give me nightmares and my mom made my dad wear headphones after one too many nights of me crying.  Thankfully my dad stopped listening to him and now admits that he is crazy and should not be listened to.

He's an actor who got so caught up in the act that he became what he pretended to be.

His old stuff, while still zany, wasn't so far gone as it is now. The Double Toasted guys bring up how 20 years ago in the Austin scene, that he used to be able to flip the crazy on and off and that is was all an act. He gradually stopped being able to turn it off, and now he's the caricature you see today. He really is as bonkers as he seems. 

Which is why he lost custody of his kids(They tried the "IT'S JUST AN ACT, ALEX JONES IS JUST A CHARACTER" defense and it didn't work) and his workspace is a notoriously hostile environment. 

Edited by Slumber

When he was getting a divorce from his wife it all came out that it's an act.

Not gonna lie, he's pretty fun to watch at time.

The times he gets serious he can be really convincing.

As already mentioned, he's a crazy actor pandering to a very specific audience. Including the type of people who will go on reddit and immediately talk about banning Muslims from the moment a mass shooting's announced. Then, if it is found that the shooter was white, they'll go in denial about it and say "things don't add up", "it's a conspiracy".

At least there's one thing you can agree with that he's said recently: "Fuck Trump".

2 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

a few days ago during a live stream when they were talking about the Syrian airstrikes with Paul Joseph Watson

you have to definitely give a lot more info than that

what made it convincing?

what did he say that convinced you?

etc etc

I find it hard to believe he's convincing in any way

What I find most interesting about the things I've seen Alex Jones say is that in terms of economic/foreign policy, he flip flops between being pro-war pro-free market and anti-war anti-capitalist, sometimes going as far as to make maxist criticisms of the current political-economic structure or saying straight up, full-on libertarian rhetoric. Leaving one to wonder where his actual stances on these things lie.

Then he'll start going on about a chinese lizard cyborg super soldiers.

16 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

what made it convincing?

what did he say that convinced you?

etc etc

I find it hard to believe he's convincing in any way

I think they mean the act/character becomes convincing.

The case is not a publicity stunt. Jones said that the sandy hook? School shooting was a hoax and made up, and called several parents of murdered children liars on his show, and since his show those people have been receiving death threats etc. It's school book defamation and they're right to sue him.

12 hours ago, Slumber said:

Which is why he lost custody of his kids(They tried the "IT'S JUST AN ACT, ALEX JONES IS JUST A CHARACTER" defense and it didn't work) and his workspace is a notoriously hostile environment. 

I love how he's flat-out admitted in open court "No no no no no no--I don't actually believe any of that. I know its all fake; its just radio shtick for ad revenue."

...and people still listen to him like he's some kind of soothsayer...

God people are dumb.

Edited by Shoblongoo

I like poetic justice. 

Alex Jones being adjudicated unfit for primary custody and losing his kids to his ex-wife--largely because of his presentation of his Sandy Hook conspiracy theory--good. Not great. I think we can do better.

Henceforth in perpetuity, there should be a man with a bullhorn following Alex Jones at all times. Shouting that the wife and kids do not exist; they are paid actors. Alex Jones was never married and never had children; the divorce and custody litigation was all staged.  

Edited by Shoblongoo

9 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

He technically 'has' to do no such thing. Perhaps you won't be convinced without more evidence, but he wasn't trying to convince anyone - Karnage was saying he found times Mr. Jones could be serious, and you jumped on him and demanded an example, which he promptly gave you, but you basically discarded his example without ever saying if you'd even watched the stupid thing or not. If you haven' seen it, it shouldn't be very difficult to look it up and see it for yourself, and then if you don't agree with him you can just say 'I disagree' and drop it. There's no need for people on here to always be about convincing everyone else their opinion is the right one, but that's more or less what I see a lot of every time I come on here, and is why I generally avoid Serious Discussion if I can help it.

This being said, I will say that I've only heard the name Alex Jones in passing once or twice on one of the Daily Wire shows before today, and I still don't know who the guy is - and don't want to, particularly as I'm one of those so-called 'conspiracy nuts' you guys are busily blasting away at and am partially worried I may try to defend the man if I knew the story and thus end up with half of Serious Discussion(or at least you, Raven, judging from the Net Neutrality Thread) dogpiling me for going against the grain.

24 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

He technically 'has' to do no such thing. Perhaps you won't be convinced without more evidence, but he wasn't trying to convince anyone - Karnage was saying he found times Mr. Jones could be serious, and you jumped on him and demanded an example, which he promptly gave you, but you basically discarded his example without ever saying if you'd even watched the stupid thing or not. If you haven' seen it, it shouldn't be very difficult to look it up and see it for yourself, and then if you don't agree with him you can just say 'I disagree' and drop it. There's no need for people on here to always be about convincing everyone else their opinion is the right one, but that's more or less what I see a lot of every time I come on here, and is why I generally avoid Serious Discussion if I can help it.

This being said, I will say that I've only heard the name Alex Jones in passing once or twice on one of the Daily Wire shows before today, and I still don't know who the guy is - and don't want to, particularly as I'm one of those so-called 'conspiracy nuts' you guys are busily blasting away at and am partially worried I may try to defend the man if I knew the story and thus end up with half of Serious Discussion(or at least you, Raven, judging from the Net Neutrality Thread) dogpiling me for going against the grain.

Tell me the nuttiest conspiracy theory you believe in, and I'll tell you whether or not this a guy you would want to defend. (He's pretty far out there)

3 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Tell me the nuttiest conspiracy theory you believe in, and I'll tell you whether or not this a guy you would want to defend. (He's pretty far out there)

This thread will probably be sent to Far From the Forest for me saying this, but the moon is made of cheese. Swiss preferably.

In all seriousness, I don't believe in (most) conspiracy theories, but for the sake of conversation, I'll propose the theory that Amelia Earhart staged her disappearance.

17 hours ago, Hylian Air Force said:

It wouldn't surprise me if all the conspiracy theorists in the US were being paid under the table by the government to keep spouting nonsense so that people vote less, therefore keeping the status quo.

(puts on tin foil hat)

I've heard there's documentation to actually support this, particularly that UFOs were a cover for secret aircraft the Air Force and such were working on in secret. So it's not exactly that far out there for conspiracy theories to be made covers for things that are actually a lot more reasonable and believable but want to be kept secret. I'll try to see if I can find sources a bit later.

couldn't find sources, disregarde

Edited by MU woadie

10 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

EDIT: I got a bit heated. I'll respond in a moment.

1) I looked over the net neutrality thread and I can see why you'd think people were jumping on you, but many were just being matter of fact due to the fact that a bunch of things in that thread were widely discredited, and none of that was from you. That's kind of how it goes. Having that said, I was pretty informal in asking because I found it kind of absurd, seeing as I looked up both actors.

2) We all have our own conspiracies, but this is the guy circulating things like "the Sandy Hook shooting was a hoax/false flag to take our guns away" and "Hillary Clinton is running a child sex ring in the basement of a pizza place in DC." Those conspiracies. Not stuff like the Koch brothers controlling a ton of Republicans. When we say "conspiracy nuts," it's people who say things like 9/11 didn't actually happen and the Holocaust didn't happen/it wasn't 11 million people. This is Alex Jones tier conspiracy nut.

3) People who post in this subforum are held to a standard. Do not take it personally, but any opinion in here is open to challenge, and it's a safe forum if everyone is open to learning. Also, I'm not sure why you came in here to post that you don't know who Alex Jones is; you're better off dealing with this via PM, especially if your issue is with me, because if you're going to get personal I'm not going to indulge you in public, and I'll be far, far more open to hear it in private.

4) I'm not willing to listen to a long (probably on the order of 30+ minutes) talk and refute it just to indulge a user that I know will not take anything said to contradict him seriously. Furthermore, the two actors involved in said talk were Sandy Hook conspirators. If he hones in specifically on what he found convincing, then a discussion can be had, because it's possible I won't even specifically see what he liked about it! Otherwise he is soapboxing or not trying to discuss anything. It doesn't help that I don't find the recommendation or the actual video credible enough to watch. He has a chance to convince me to watch it by giving me a summary, but instead he chooses not to respond and you choose to call me out for little reason other than to make this oddly personal...

5) To make this fully relevant to Alex Jones, this might be why someone has heard their name lately. He has thrown his shit into the ring to dilute the news pool, and it has done lasting damage on a number of people who have already had horrifying things happen to them. He's extremely harmful to the country.

Edited by Lord Raven

9 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

This depends on what you consider a conspiracy theory - I've been written off as paranoid simply for listening to the Andrew Klavan and Ben Shapiro Shows. Something I've heard people throw the 'conspiracy theory' label onto so they can blow people off as nutjobs that I believe is that Obama intentionally was the worst President we've ever had in an attempt to sell us to the Muslims(please please PLEASE do not even attempt to talk to me about whether he was the worst President we've ever had, I will ignore whoever does so). Also, while I don't believe all school shootings were falsified, I very much lean towards the theory that at least some if not all of the major school shootings were orchestrated by our own government in an attempt to get us to push Gun Control for them so they don't have to do as much work. I also take issue with the news media acting as though we've had all kinds of these deadly shootings when several of the shootings they're claiming happened were hardly as horrible as the handful of actually deadly shootings we've had, such as one where a guy used a gun to kill himself in his car in a school parking lot - technically a school shooting, yes, and horrible, yes, but is it in the same league as psychopaths(or brainwashed minions depending on which camp you subscribe to) walking into a school and just gunning down whoever got in their line of sight, no matter their age? Anyways, the mainstream media's actions regarding school shootings I find suspicious, and though I'm not the only one who believes they're only pushing their own agenda and not actually recording the pure facts like they're SUPPOSED to do, I find a surprising number of people who seem to think the average TV News Station is completely trustworthy.