Animated characters you guessed their gender wrong

MisterIceTeaPeach

This topic might sound a bit embarrassing at first sight, but I don't think it's an uncommon thing.
Maybe it's just me because I'm not that familar with anime, but I've serious trouble sometimes to indentify a character's gender correctly.
You can post characters from videogames and / or TV series.

Here are some of mine :

Marth (Fire Emblem Akaneia series)

Spoiler

As many other people here  in this forum I came in contact to Fire Emblem via Super Smash Bros. Brawl was my first game where he was featured. When I saw him I wasn't entirely sure. But when I heared his JP voice for some reason I seriously thought he was a girl. 

Midir / Midayle (Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War)

Spoiler

I guess I'm not the only one who mistook Midayle's gender. His face and his ponytail can bring you to the track to think he's female, if you know nothing about FE4. When I did a blind LP of FE4 I gave her female pronouns till a comment reminded me that Midayle is a guy actually.

Pascal (Tales of Graces)

Spoiler

If you hear someone with the Name Pascal, you will think at once it's a name of a boy (Pascal is also a male boss in FE7). Not so in this game. Pascal is a girl. Even her clothes don't tell you exactly about her gender because it's neutral to me. Only her voice made me certain that she's female.

Soleil (Fire Emblem Conquest)

Spoiler

I played this game but never unlocked her. From her look I knew she was Laslow's child, buther clothes made me think she was a Boy. And her supports strenghted my assumption.

Astolfe (Fate series)

Spoiler

Someone here made a Topic about this guy. In my post I gave him female pronouns till an other poster corrected me that Astolfe is a guy. Well, Astolfe sounds like a guy's Name but he definitely looked like a Girl for me. Seemed to be a crossdresser.

Naoto Shriogane (Persona 4)

Spoiler

Tbh when her name reminds on a woman, but her detective look made me think to consider her as a male - although These are generic clothes for this job.

Edited by Hecatia Lapislazuli

In a Korean webtoon called "Tower of God" there's this guy called Yun Han-Sung. I thought he was a she. The way he dresses could be considered gender neutral, but his hairstyle and face give people the impression that he's a woman.

Edited by silveraura25

tfw you get Ren Suzugamori's gender right, but screw up Noa Hoshizaki's (they're both from Cardfight!! Vanguard).

But to be fair, the latter has a really high-pitched voice.

None that I can remember of. Quite on the contrary, I actually guessed a real person's gender wrong. A girl from my student housing, for the longest time I thought she was a guy. Heck, it was somebody else, when I passingly showed them a picture with her in it, that recognized her as a woman.

Needless to say, it was a really awkward moment.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

I remember watching Blend S last year and thinking that Hidari was a girl. Turns out i was wrong. That's why in the OP, when Hidari shows up, he says "surprise".

Back in the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Direct, they used the trailer with Japanese voices and Morag had such a manly voice that i couldn't really tell if she was male or female. Even the guys at the Xenoblade Wiki were confused.

Also in Xenoblade 2, i thought Floren was a girl. Imagine my surprise when i was choosing Blades to send out on a male-only Merc Mission and Floren counted as one. 

Have to second Midir. I too thought he was a girl. Same with Dew, actually. FE4 portraits, man.

Edited by Armagon

The things that come most ot mind are Kino from Kino's Journey and Ed from Cowboy Bepop. Althouugh I guess it was more me correcting other peope about it. 

Midir in FE4 because he looks so much like a woman. I'm glad most other people I know of made the same mistake.

Not me, but my mother mistook Kagero for a guy because she didn't notice her breasts until I pointed this out to her.

I assumed Marth was a girl, and his tunic made me think it was a skirt, further convincing me he was a girl.

Like a lot of people, I too thought Midir was a girl, until I realized he had the male death scream whenever he died. Same case with Azel.

When I first played Super Metroid, I thought Samus (the main characer) was a male. I guess this is understandable since her armor doesn't really give the hint that she's a woman, and as far as I'm aware her gender was intended to be a surprise in the first Metroid game.

Pretty much just a lot of Japanese characters, since for some reason, they love making characters look like the opposite gender of the one they actually are. :/

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:52 AM, Armagon said:

Also in Xenoblade 2, i thought Floren was a guy. Imagine my surprise when i was choosing Blades to send out on a male-only Merc Mission and Floren counted as one.

Surely you meant to say that you thought Floren was female? Otherwise, it doesn't make sense.

4 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Surely you meant to say that you thought Floren was female? Otherwise, it doesn't make sense.

Yeah, i meant that i thought Floren was female. Ooops.

Edited by Armagon

On 4/18/2018 at 4:00 PM, Anacybele said:

Pretty much just a lot of Japanese characters, since for some reason, they love making characters look like the opposite gender of the one they actually are. :/

That's not a problem. :)

Speaking of which, here's a surprising Western cartoon one from my days as a kid: Edd from Ed, Edd n Eddy. I thought he was a girl at first. :P Then again, my silly young mind.

3 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

That's not a problem. :)

What isn't? Making a bunch of males look like females or vice versa? That is a problem though. It's a silly and unrealistic and old joke imo. Occasionally in real life you will see someone whose gender you're unsure of or whose gender looks like the opposite of what they really are, but not that often. And Japanese characters who look like the opposite gender tend to look that way just for the sake of it.

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

What isn't? Making a bunch of males look like females or vice versa? That is a problem though. It's a silly and unrealistic and old joke imo. Occasionally in real life you will see someone whose gender you're unsure of or whose gender looks like the opposite of what they really are, but not that often. And Japanese characters who look like the opposite gender tend to look that way just for the sake of it.

A "joke"? Really? We live in an age where people should be more accepting of others, and that includes males looking girly. We got girls being tomboys, so why not? It's alright if you mistake their gender at first. Not that I have an issue with discerning Japanese-designed male characters who aren't intended to look female for the sake of their character or just for the heck of it (and even then, I'm cool with that).

23 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

A "joke"? Really? We live in an age where people should be more accepting of others, and that includes males looking girly. We got girls being tomboys, so why not? It's alright if you mistake their gender at first. Not that I have an issue with discerning Japanese-designed male characters who aren't intended to look female for the sake of their character or just for the heck of it (and even then, I'm cool with that).

That's not what I meant. Of course I'm not going to hate on someone just for the way they look or dress. But Japan does tend to treat it as a joke and sometimes forcibly. And when this mistake is happening a lot, which it sometimes does, that's kind of annoying, you know?

Edited by Anacybele

25 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

That's not what I meant. Of course I'm not going to hate on someone just for the way they look or dress. But Japan does tend to treat it as a joke and sometimes forcibly. And when this mistake is happening a lot, which it sometimes does, that's kind of annoying, you know?

A lot as in...? Because going into FE, "looks like a girl" is not all to Libra's character, for one thing, if that's what you're getting at. Probably just half. You got me on Forrest, but he's not entirely played for a joke, as his existence at least teaches a lesson on acceptance. And then I dunno who else in FE is there specifically for a joke to a noticable extent. Lucius is a very minor case.

I don't see the "forced joke" so much. All I see are games and anime branching out alongside society.

Edited by NoirCore

47 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

A lot as in...? Because going into FE, "looks like a girl" is not all to Libra's character, for one thing, if that's what you're getting at. Probably just half. You got me on Forrest, but he's not entirely played for a joke, as his existence at least teaches a lesson on acceptance. And then I dunno who else in FE is there specifically for a joke to a noticable extent. Lucius is a very minor case.

I don't see the "forced joke" so much. All I see are games and anime branching out alongside society.

Because I heard that apparently, men who look like women are a funny joke to Japanese. If I'm wrong here though, sorry then.

22 hours ago, NoirCore said:

Speaking of which, here's a surprising Western cartoon one from my days as a kid: Edd from Ed, Edd n Eddy. I thought he was a girl at first. :P Then again, my silly young mind.

Ooof, I remember thinking the same. My young mind was further weirded out by seeing one of the Kanker sisters trying to make out with Edd, thinking "wait, can females love each other?".

20 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Because I heard that apparently, men who look like women are a funny joke to Japanese. If I'm wrong here though, sorry then.

18 hours ago, Soledai said:

Hey Ana, do you mean like some animu have the fruity guy or the really manly girl that act as comic relief(sometimes) or something like that?

Ana, if you're thinking of what Soledai said, then yeah its comic relief.

Though I thought crossdressing men that still look manly as heck was a joke in Japan?