The Legend of Zelda: Heroes of the Triforce

Inferno lizard

After much searching around found what appeared to be what they were looking for, a strange Sheikah construction with a glowing blue flame, nestled in an alcove made of large rocks.

"Well, this is definitely the 'flame thing' that the innkeeper mentioned" Keiko said, examining the object.

"Weird, that flame is blue" Duren said "Its not a normal flame."

"Fire can burn different colors depending on what the fuel is." Keiko informed him "It can be blue or even green sometimes. The weird thing about this flame is that it doesn't appear to have any sort of fuel source."

"Yeah, yeah, it's a strange thing" Niva said hurriedly "But what does it have to do with us finding the outpost?"

"A good question" Keiko said "This thing has to be related to the outpost in some way. We just need to figure out what we're supposed to do."

"Any ideas what that is?" Duren asked.

"Hmm, let's look around this thing. There's got to be something around here that'll give us a clue. Everybody spread out and look."

The group spread out around the object and began searching around for a means to finding the outpost.

"Hey, I think I found something," Duren said, "Guys come over here."

"What did you find?" Keiko asked approaching him.

"Look at this rock," Duren said, pointing at said rock "Is it just me, or does that impression look like a hand print?"

"Hmm, you're right," Keiko said, examining the rock "It does look like a handprint. I wonder..."

Keiko then leaned forward and placed her hand on the mark. After a few seconds, she removed it.

"Well, that didn't work," she said, shaking her head.

"Do you think we might be missing something?" Duren asked.

"Hey, why don't we let Link try it?" Niva asked.

"Eh, sure I guess," Keiko said with a shrug "It couldn't hurt to try."

Link approached the rock and placed his hand on the mark. Suddenly, the mark began glowing, and the ground shook slightly.

"Hey, it worked." Duren said, "But why did it only work when Link touched it?"

"I have no idea" Keiko answered "But did you feel that tremor. Come on, let's head back to that contraption. I have a feeling something happened there."

After returning to the strange flame object, they find that something had indeed happened. A hidden door had opened up on the ground, revealing a set of stairs descending downward.

"Well, I think we found our outpost," Duren said, leaning to look down the stairs.

"Ya think?" Keiko said sarcastically "Come on, let's get going."

They headed down the stairs, going down a ways, before finally reaching a long hallway.

"Hold it" Keiko suddenly said, holding up her hand, "I think something is coming this way."

Indeed, a strange contraption approached them on three legs and stopped before them.

"What in the name of Hylia is that?" Duren asked, kneeling down to examine it.

"I've read about these," Keiko said, leaning to look at it "They're called guardians, machines created by the ancient Sheikah. This one seems much smaller than they're supposed to be, however."

"It's kinda cute, in its own way." Duren said, "We should take it with us!"

"Duren, we are not bringing some random machine along with us," Keiko said, turning to face him.

"Yes we are," Duren argued, "And we're naming it Twiggy."

"Twiggy? What kind of name is that?"

"It's cause it's got such thin legs," Duren told her, "Like metal sticks."

"That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard," Keiko said angrily.

"Uh, guys, the guardian is doing something," Niva suddenly stated.

The two of them turned around to find that the guardian's eye had started to glow.

"Oh, crud!" Keiko said, then yelled, "EVERYBODY GET DOWN!"

They all dropped to the floor just in time to avoid the guardian's beam, which passed over them.

"Why you little..." Duren said angrily, getting back up and slamming his hammer into the guardian, which went flying off into a wall and broke into pieces.

"Why Twiggy?!" Duren said despondently, "Why'd you have to do me like that?" He then got down on one knee and clasped his hands together.

"What the Hylia are are you doing?" Keiko then asked him.

"I'm paying my respects for Twiggy." Duren answered her "He could have been our greatest friend."

"You can't see it, but I am rolling my eyes SUPER hard at you right now," Keiko told him.

Eventually, Duren stood up and pointed ahead.

"Let's get going," he said enthusiastically.

"Finally," Keiko said annoyedly "You are such an idiot."

They headed down the hallway until they came upon a room at the end. There was no other exit inside it, but within it was three pedestals each with an identical object on it.

"This appears to be what we're looking for," Keiko said as they entered the room, and walked up to one of the pedestals.

"These things will help us to breathe underwater?" Duren asked as the other two followed behind her.

"Hopefully," Keiko answered, picking up the object "They appear to be some kind of necklace, but will they really help?"

Suddenly, the doorway behind them slammed shut.

"What the?" Keiko said loudly turning around.

"That doesn't seem good," Niva said.

"Neither does that," Duren said as water began pouring in from the walls and filling the room.

"We need to get out of here!" Keiko said frantically, ditching the necklace she was holding and rushing to where the doorway was, "Come on, help me get this door open."

"Or, and here's a thought, maybe we're supposed to put the necklaces on," Duren said, heading to one of the other pedestals and grabbing the necklace there, "If they're what we came here for, they'll allow us to breathe once this room fills."

"Are you crazy?" Keiko asked "We can't just trust that that's what they're for. What if it isn't? Then we drown."

"Why don't you just have a little faith," Duren said as he put on the necklace, "Don't you think so Link?"

Link nodded and walked over to the remaining pedestal, picked up the necklace, and put it on.

"But... but..." Keiko stuttered "Oh all right. But if we die, you're never going to hear the end of this."

She went over where she had dropped the necklace and grabbed it, then put it around her neck. By now, the water level was reaching their waists.

"Well, here goes," Keiko said as it reached the level of their necks.

"See you on the other side," Duren said with a smile and held a thumbs up.

Finally, the water had reached over their heads, and each one looked at each other while holding their breaths, all three trying to wait for one of the others to try to breathe first. Finally, Duren gave a great gasp, then took another breath.

"Well that's a relief, Duren said with a grin, as the others gasped for air. "These things do work after all."

"Yeah, I guess you were right," Keiko said as she and Link floated about "But what are we supposed to do now?"

"Maybe something will happen once this room fills up completely?" Niva said, looking around the room.

"Which looks like it'll be right about... now," Duren said while pointing at the ceiling. Suddenly, the wall opposite where they had entered opened up, revealing a hallway.

"Great, let's get going," He said, and began walking towards the doorway.

"Hold on!" Keiko interjected as she and Link were both attempting to swim towards the door "You're forgetting that it's not so easy for us to move underwater."

"Oh yeah, I forgot that you two don't have iron boots," Duren said, walking back over to them "Well then, why don't each of you grab onto an arm."

The two swam over to Duren and both of them looped their arms around one of his arms. Duren then began walking slowly towards the doorway.

They headed down the hallway until they entered a large room with a large hole in the middle.

"That's weird," Keiko said as they entered the room, "What could this room be for. It almost looks like an- oh no..."

Suddenly the doors on both sides closed shut.

"What's going on?" Niva said apprehensively.

"I think we're about to fight something," Keiko said.

Indeed, a platform suddenly rose from the hole, and on it was a larger guardian than the one they had encountered at the entrance, which had with three arms each wielding a weapon.

"Seriously, we have to fight that thing?!" Duren asked exasperated "All while underwater?"

"I don't see any other alternative,"

"I hope you have a plan then," Niva said, as the guardian began approaching them.

"Guys, I'm gonna have to push you," Duren said, taking his arms out from theirs.

"Wait, what?" Keiko said when suddenly Duren slammed his palms into hers and Link's backs and sent them floating away from him. He then grabbed his hammer and used the handle to block the guardian's attack.

"Okay Keiko, we could use a plan here," Duren said as he struggled to hold off the machine, meanwhile Link was on another side attempting to get an attack in.

"Um, okay. It's gotta have a weak point," she said, eying the guardian "Aha, its eye. Alright here goes!"

Pulling out a shuriken, Keiko took aim, then threw it straight at the guardian's eye. However, after a few feet, it started falling flat. "Oh, right, water physics."

"What do we do?" Niva asked, concerned.

"Duren, throw me at it!" Keiko said, "I'll attack it's eye myself."

"What? That's too dangerous!"

"Just do it!" Keiko shouted.

"Fine," Duren said, "Link, cover me."

With a great grunt, Duren forced the guardian back, then rushed over to where Keiko. As Link kept it busy, Duren grabbed Keiko and threw her towards the guardian.

Flying through the water, Keiko grabbed hold of the guardian, then took her dagger and stabbed it into its eye. The guardian gave a great shudder, then collapsed. 

"NOW!" Keiko shouted, and Link and Duren both rushed at the guardian to strike it. With great force, Duren smashed his hammer into the guardian, while Link thrust his sword into its eye. The guardian gave a great mechanical squeal and started sparking and moving erratically.

"Duren, get us away from this thing," Keiko said urgently, and Duren grabbed the two of them under his arms and began moving away from it as fast as he could.

As they were making their way away from it, the guardian began emitting beams of light, before exploding in a mess of wrecked machinery. Once the debris had settled, the door at the end of the room opened.

"Phew, that was a close one," Niva said with a relieved sigh.

"Yeah," Keiko said, "It was. Come on, let's get going. The sooner we can make it out of here the better."

With that, they made their way to the other side of the room.

As they went through the doorway, they came upon a ledge with a significant drop in the next room.

"Well, what do we do now?" Duren said as he peered over the edge, "Do we take the mysterious plunge, or try to find some other way to get out of here."

"Hmm," Keiko mused as she examined their surroundings, "I think we have to jump down. As far as it seems, it looks like the only way to proceed. I don't like it, but I think it might be the only way."

"Well then," Duren said, walking up to the ledge, "Let's get going."

With that, he jumped off, and the rest of them followed suit. As they sunk down, they suddenly found themselves caught in a strong current that pulled them through a long series of winding tunnels. This went on for quite a while, before they finally were deposited into a small room with no exit.