How are my Revelations pairings? And who am I missing

Ephera

Here are my planned pairings at the moment. I haven't looked at any statistical maps on what is technically best, but I have looked up "pairing recommendations" for each unit and tried to find a happy middleground for those who won't get their "best" pairing.

With all that in mind, I mainly want the best for the children's stats etc etc. I honestly don't understand it in depth and it seems like a lot to get into, so I just want to hear opinions.

Also keen on opinions for MU pairing (preferably offspring pairing), he is very single at the moment and needs a waifu.

Screenshot_20180421-001121.png

If you're optimizing for kids...

Honestly, you hit the nail on the head with some setups such as Nyx!Rhajat and Azura!Kiragi, but then there are others that really ought to have different parents.  There's no reason why Odin should go for Orochi over Elise, as the latter has no better choice for marriage than Odin in every single way and she'll just make Ophelia into a significantly better mage.  It'd also be better if you actually had Sakura pair up with someone like Saizo, Azama, or Leo.  Rinkah will ruin Velouria's damage output and would be better off parenting Benny's kid Ignatius and Velouria's mother should be a unit like Effie or Charlotte instead.

Also, the units you glossed over are Mitama (Azama's daughter), Dwyer (Jakob's son), and Ignatius (Benny's son); a shrine maiden, a troubadour, and an armor knight, respectively.  As I said, Sakura is a pretty good mother for Mitama, though it wouldn't be bad to hand her Orochi instead since Mitama's mostly about healing allies, so the low speed shouldn't be a tremendous hindrance.  Dwyer actually has a pretty high strength stat for a healer, so he might even be better off changing to something different, but he's probably the most flexible kid aside from Asugi or Kana.  And Ignatius would probably work best with either Oboro, Selena, Beruka, Camilla, or Rinkah as the mother, because his main deal is being a tank.

I'm no expert, but if I wanted to optimize children, this is how I'd do it:

• Jakob x Camilla (Better all-around Dwyer who can still do magic)
  • Kaze x Setsuna/Azura* (Midori's best as a supporting archer)
  • Silas x Hinoka (Just improves Sophie's stats all around and gives her a good class to change into without much fuss)
  • Ryoma x Kagero (Maximize in Shiro's high strength for maximum damage output as a spear fighter or ninja)
  • Takumi x Azura/Setsuna* (Kiragi works best as an archer, and Shigure might see some benefit with Takumi as the father)
  • Saizo x Sakura (Asugi's high magic and strength will be put to good use with Sakura as the mother)
  • Azama x Orochi (Mitama only needs to be a good healer, nothing more)
  • Hinata x Peri (Focus slightly more on high damage output with Hisame, because samurai are generally better if they can hurt more)
  • Subaki x Selena (Not good class set unless she uses Master of Arms as a transition into sword fighting, but Selena will make Caeldori more tanky)
  • Hayato x Nyx (Makes Rhajat a damn good mage with access to two really good class lines for her)
  • Kaden x Oboro (Make Selkie a little more tanky without sacrificing strength so that she could be closer to the same level of flexibility as the Wolfskin)
  • Xander x Charlotte (Makes for a really strong Siegbert who has two alternate axe-wielding classes)
  • Leo x Felicia (Same deal as Mitama for Forrest; he only needs to be good at healing)
  • Laslow x Hana (Same as with Hisame; doubly so for Soleil because she has access to Sol, which is a decent substitute for defense if her skill is high enough)
  • Odin x Elise (I don't know how anyone could argue any other pairing for either of these characters from a gameplay standpoint)
  • Niles x Mozu (Aptitude makes any unit at least decent, and Nina will have access to the Merchant class for more money-making shenanigans and melee-range combat)
  • Arthur x Beruka (Basically makes Percy's stats as close to an ideal wyvern rider as possible, and strangely enough gives him the sky knight class line which might be an interesting option to explore after he's used lances as a Wyvern Lord for a while)
  • Benny x Rinkah (Just make Ignatius into the tank he was meant to be; he'll never get as high defense growths as his father, but he might get decent speed out of this setup)
  • Keaton x Effie (Decent enough defense and really friggin' good strength and speed is enough for the incredibly flexible Wolfskin class)

These would definitely be up for debate since, again, I'm not a super pro at this game, but if you pair your kids this way, they all will be pretty good at the jobs they're supposed to fulfill.  If you're wondering about the avatar, it's typically better to have the avatar pair up with either one of the Corrinsexuals or the 2nd Gen units unless that avatar is female.  This is because if you marry your avatar to one of the standard female options, you will prevent one male from being able to pair up with another character.  That being said, you obviously don't need to get every child.  And it goes without saying, but the avatar's optimal pairing options are quite variable.

*Units with multiple ideal partners could switch them around, but I favor the first over the latter

17 hours ago, SSJDennis said:

Troll topic? Those pairings are really weird to say it nicely...

Noo, not trolling. I just don't get the pairing details, I don't know how y'all can recall so much information about it. I did a little research, but obviously I was looking in all the wrong places.

Ty ertrick, I'll follow your list for the ones I haven't already reached S with. Just having a grinding game and want to optimise my units. Good thing I haven't raced too far into the game and can still follow 80% of your recommendations.

Bit of a nothing thread tbh, I don't come here often

47 minutes ago, Ephera said:

Ty ertrick, I'll follow your list for the ones I haven't already reached S with. Just having a grinding game and want to optimise my units. Good thing I haven't raced too far into the game and can still follow 80% of your recommendations.

Bit of a nothing thread tbh, I don't come here often

No problem.  I will also say that the optimal pairings could be different if you're wanting to improve the 1st gen units instead.  For example, if you wanted to improve Oboro, Kaden's the last person you want to pair her with since he gives her the diviner class; she'd be better suited paired up with Benny or Subaki.  However, it'd generally be better to try to optimize the 2nd gen units over the 1st gen ones because they're honestly good enough as they are with the classes available to them as is/via friendship seals.  Plus, some of the pairings that are ideal for the kids are also pretty good for the parents, such as Hayato x Nyx and Arthur x Beruka.

I'd also recommend a pairing for your avatar, but I first would like to hear what his talent (secondary class) is.  My personal favorite Kana is Velouria!Kana because I just like having these wild mixed race units, but the different types of beaststones make such units pretty flexible on-the-fly.  However, if Kana's mother is a magical-oriented unit like Rhajat or Ophelia, that would make her dragon form and both the promotions of the Nohr Princess more valuable.

I'm only asking about talent because it could affect Kana's ideal mother.

Really, it's kinda difficult to really screw up Kana.  The only way I could think of is if you married Gunter, as he'd just be pure deadweight on Kana's growths.

It depends on what kind of niche you'd want Kana to fulfill.  Really, as long as you don't pair Corrin up with Gunter (which is impossible in Revelation anyway), Kana won't get significantly screwed up.  Though I personally think Kana's better off with either balanced stats, a strong emphasis on magic, or with a beastkin mother so that she can reclass into a beastkin class.  So if you were to follow my recommendations, that'd land you with either Sophie, Nina, Rhajat, Ophelia, Selkie, or Velouria.  Or you could go for Flora, but then you wouldn't get Kana until after Chapter 23.

If you want higher damage output with less defenses, again you could go with one of the mages, Midori, or Reina.  For pure physical tanking, Velouria or the Caeldori I gave you will help in that respect.  And if you need another healer/combatant, Mitama would probably be ideal.  Though with all of these pairings aside from Reina and Flora, the results get pretty murky because you're trying to determine the stats of a kid's kid, stacking variables on top of variables.  That also tends to have a mediating factor though because the majority of 2nd gen units gravitate towards middle-ground stats, so you basically can't really go wrong with any 2nd gen pairing for your avatar.  That's why I say your options are fairly open.

16 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

If you're optimizing for kids...

Honestly, you hit the nail on the head with some setups such as Nyx!Rhajat and Azura!Kiragi, but then there are others that really ought to have different parents.  There's no reason why Odin should go for Orochi over Elise, as the latter has no better choice for marriage than Odin in every single way and she'll just make Ophelia into a significantly better mage.  It'd also be better if you actually had Sakura pair up with someone like Saizo, Azama, or Leo.  Rinkah will ruin Velouria's damage output and would be better off parenting Benny's kid Ignatius and Velouria's mother should be a unit like Effie or Charlotte instead.

Also, the units you glossed over are Mitama (Azama's daughter), Dwyer (Jakob's son), and Ignatius (Benny's son); a shrine maiden, a troubadour, and an armor knight, respectively.  As I said, Sakura is a pretty good mother for Mitama, though it wouldn't be bad to hand her Orochi instead since Mitama's mostly about healing allies, so the low speed shouldn't be a tremendous hindrance.  Dwyer actually has a pretty high strength stat for a healer, so he might even be better off changing to something different, but he's probably the most flexible kid aside from Asugi or Kana.  And Ignatius would probably work best with either Oboro, Selena, Beruka, Camilla, or Rinkah as the mother, because his main deal is being a tank.

I'm no expert, but if I wanted to optimize children, this is how I'd do it:

• Jakob x Camilla (Better all-around Dwyer who can still do magic)
  • Kaze x Setsuna/Azura* (Midori's best as a supporting archer)
  • Silas x Hinoka (Just improves Sophie's stats all around and gives her a good class to change into without much fuss)
  • Ryoma x Kagero (Maximize in Shiro's high strength for maximum damage output as a spear fighter or ninja)
  • Takumi x Azura/Setsuna* (Kiragi works best as an archer, and Shigure might see some benefit with Takumi as the father)
  • Saizo x Sakura (Asugi's high magic and strength will be put to good use with Sakura as the mother)
  • Azama x Orochi (Mitama only needs to be a good healer, nothing more)
  • Hinata x Peri (Focus slightly more on high damage output with Hisame, because samurai are generally better if they can hurt more)
  • Subaki x Selena (Not good class set unless she uses Master of Arms as a transition into sword fighting, but Selena will make Caeldori more tanky)
  • Hayato x Nyx (Makes Rhajat a damn good mage with access to two really good class lines for her)
  • Kaden x Oboro (Make Selkie a little more tanky without sacrificing strength so that she could be closer to the same level of flexibility as the Wolfskin)
  • Xander x Charlotte (Makes for a really strong Siegbert who has two alternate axe-wielding classes)
  • Leo x Felicia (Same deal as Mitama for Forrest; he only needs to be good at healing)
  • Laslow x Hana (Same as with Hisame; doubly so for Soleil because she has access to Sol, which is a decent substitute for defense if her skill is high enough)
  • Odin x Elise (I don't know how anyone could argue any other pairing for either of these characters from a gameplay standpoint)
  • Niles x Mozu (Aptitude makes any unit at least decent, and Nina will have access to the Merchant class for more money-making shenanigans and melee-range combat)
  • Arthur x Beruka (Basically makes Percy's stats as close to an ideal wyvern rider as possible, and strangely enough gives him the sky knight class line which might be an interesting option to explore after he's used lances as a Wyvern Lord for a while)
  • Benny x Rinkah (Just make Ignatius into the tank he was meant to be; he'll never get as high defense growths as his father, but he might get decent speed out of this setup)
  • Keaton x Effie (Decent enough defense and really friggin' good strength and speed is enough for the incredibly flexible Wolfskin class)

These would definitely be up for debate since, again, I'm not a super pro at this game, but if you pair your kids this way, they all will be pretty good at the jobs they're supposed to fulfill.  If you're wondering about the avatar, it's typically better to have the avatar pair up with either one of the Corrinsexuals or the 2nd Gen units unless that avatar is female.  This is because if you marry your avatar to one of the standard female options, you will prevent one male from being able to pair up with another character.  That being said, you obviously don't need to get every child.  And it goes without saying, but the avatar's optimal pairing options are quite variable.

*Units with multiple ideal partners could switch them around, but I favor the first over the latter

Not that I disagree (in fact, I mostly switch up my pairings every run), but I find the bolded questionable. Sol doesn't exactly seem like something you want to rely on to stay alive, especially when you have a -3 defense modifier and factoring in it only being effective if it kicks in on a healthy enemy. Merchant might have some use, but Profiteer is the exact opposite of a reliable money maker.

6 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Not that I disagree (in fact, I mostly switch up my pairings every run), but I find the bolded questionable. Sol doesn't exactly seem like something you want to rely on to stay alive, especially when you have a -3 defense modifier and factoring in it only being effective if it kicks in on a healthy enemy. Merchant might have some use, but Profiteer is the exact opposite of a reliable money maker.

I'm not saying that stuff as if it's the end all answer to potential problems they might face.  Soleil in particular's just gonna be a squishy unit with Hana as the mother, and I think I phrased what I said about Sol wrong; I meant that it could sometimes be a good replacement for healing when it procs, which could mean fewer staff/healing item uses expended on her.  And profiteer is obviously more of a convenience thing for Nina than it is of practical use; because Nina's primarily a bow user, it's easy for Nina to transition to the Merchant class and she'll inevitably acquire that skill, which could be a passive way of earning a little extra if she isn't already using all of her skill slots.

I was offering some potential flavor for these units and their class lines because I don't want to just say "this unit's a glass cannon" and "this unit's got balanced stats" over and over again.

Now that I think about it, Hana!Soleil might be better suited to the samurai or ninja classes.  Though I personally don't like using low defense melee-range units in Fates.