Shouting attack names: cool or lame?

Ronnie

Anime/manga fans, do you think a character shouting their attack names is cool or lame? Spirit Gun, Kamehameha, Gum Gum Gatling, etc.

I'm kinda torn because attack names gives me something to remember and mimic the character by. However it is pretty goofy when they're being serious and still calling out names.

I sometimes try to think about it as if they're spells that need to be vocalized.  As long as the attack names don't sound really stupid and the delivery is there (like, they deliver it more like Goku when he fires a Kamehameha wave rather than Owain spouting off random references), then it's enough for me to take seriously.

Though if it's something that's supposed to be realistic and take place in the real world (like if it's a show about a cop fighting crime in New York City or whatever), then no amount of good delivery will make me take it the way it's intended unless it's supposed to seem silly and dorky.

This happens in some video games as well. I like it in Xenoblade Chronicles, doesn't bother me, and it can be pretty epic.

"Born in a world of strife, against the odds, we choose to fight! BLOSSOM DANCE!"

"You're not invincible, MONADO ENCHANT!"

"Here we go LARIAT!"

The attack name is in all caps. Sometimes they just yell out the name of the attack and nothing else, but it's more awesome when they add more to it. I guess I'll second Ertick here, it depends on whether it's supposed to be serious and gritty or whimsical fantasy or whatever. 

But for fanfic it can be eye roll material if the author does it all the time. It works in an animated medium, but not usually text.

Really, really depends on the show. Fantasy-oriented shows can get away with it. Even anime that take place in the real world such as My Hero Academia or JoJo's Bizarre Adventure can get away with it. But if it's something more realistic and down to earth, then i think that's when he start to have issues.

I think it is strange if it is an attack which should be a surprise attack.
But I also like the Majin Rengokusatsu from Judas of Tales of Destiny 2 the most. This art wouldn't be so epic without his chant.

Edited by Stroud

It's fine in those animu/games that have it, like DBZ for example. But if I were to play something like FF10 and Tidus be like: "QUICK HIT" or watching Gundam and they be shouting their actions: "BEAM RIFLE", I'd be a little weirded out. Ignore that the beam rifle thing does sometimes happen in Super Robot Wars games... just ignore that

Also, I'm pretty sure Judas's top tier chant came from Giren Shoureizan, since Majin Rengokusatsu was the extension of that

57 minutes ago, Soledai said:

Also, I'm pretty sure Judas's top tier chant came from Giren Shoureizan, since Majin Rengokusatsu was the extension of that

No wonder I had a hard time finding the chant with Majin Rengokusatsu.
How could I have missed that D=. True, Majin Rengokusatsu is only the extension if it succeeds. 

RODA ROLA

In all seriousness, it's a situational question - for example, I don't mind Luffy shouting stuff when it's "Gomu Gomu No...PISTOL!!!" but I do mind "Gum Gum...PISTOL!!!" in part because at least 'Gomu Gomu no' sounds cooler than 'Gum Gum' for something to be shouting at intended victims. I mean, come on:

"Gum Gum...YOU DUM DUM!!!" -The Tiki Idol from Night at the Museum
Seems legit.

I think it's radical. Either it's actually awesome or it's stupid enough to be mocked or both, so it's just an all around plus.

Not saying it should happen in all anime (Fullmetal Alchemist is much better without it) but in the places where it happens it's usually great for one reason or another.

It usually depends on the context, but spells get away with it more for me.

Although I wonder how the VAs think when they're shouting these lines though.

It's cheesy as fuck but sometimes it's just sold so well. 

Seeing somebody in DBZ charge up a Kamehameha always was intense, and they used it to a pretty good effect at building tension when Cell started charging one up out of nowhere and it made for a great "OH SHIT" moment. 

Edited by Slumber

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2018 at 1:16 PM, Captain Karnage said:

I think I saw some people with Katanas and fedoras doing that the other day

so, no

Why didn't you record them and put it on youtube lol?

4 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Considering how great my love for Odin is, yes I love it 

Don't forget Xenoblade. BLOSSOM DANCE! DIVE SOBAT!

Most of the time, on action packed animes and for very specific iconic movies, yeah. It's dumb but it's cool.

also, the above poster:

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Rapier

• 2 months later...
On 20/04/2018 at 7:39 PM, Ertrick36 said:

As long as the attack names don't sound really stupid and the delivery is there (like, they deliver it more like Goku when he fires a Kamehameha wave rather than Owain spouting off random references), then it's enough for me to take seriously.

I seem to remember some games and anime suggesting that calling out the attack name as a way to help the user visualize it so it's easier to perform. Continuing with the Dragon Ball example there, Goku has fired a Kamehameha on several occasions without uttering a syllable. You can also see this as to why Krillin, Yamcha and Tien basically fired one successfully the first time they tried it.

As for Owain, it oddly fits really well in Warriors. Like, he's hammed up but in a way that comes off as something of a cool dork so it sorta fits when you hear him break character to mutter to himself.

Depends on the mood I'm in.

Sometimes I like flashy over-the-top animations with attack name shouting, case in point was Tales of Xillia recently. I absolutely loved it every time Milla went  "All beginnings, must end. Let it be, by my hand! Elemental Mastery!" with her blasting the target one after another with the powers of Slyph, Gnome, Undine and Efreet.

Other times I just want to cut to the case, make it quick and silent.

And then there are times when I might want to enjoy the animations, but can't, specifically when Overdriving in Xenoblade Chronicles X. Must keep eyes glued to the arts as they cool down and the Overdrive timer ticks away! Sometimes I even lose track of where enemies are because I'm so focused on the bottom of the screen. I try to take in some of the sights thought, like the sorta badass slow walk animation of Ghostwalker.