General Trails thread (Trails of Cold Steel 4 (PS4) out now).

Armagon

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Cure Naga said:

How long are scripts for Y's games compared to The Legend of Heroes games?

Not very. We’ll have to wait and see what happens, CS3 being in NISA hands is one of the worst things possible though in a lot of fans minds. Although they seem to have gotten a few of the old Xseed workers from the other games on this one, (Sean Chiplock made it sound like Brittany at least was directing the voice stuff).

LOH games could fit several large novels per game in how much dialog they have.

The unfortunate thing about this all is how much Crossbell stuff people are gonna straight up miss because without those a huge chunk of things will lack context without some form of extra explanations.

The Crossbell games likely don’t have a chance of localization unless they get remade at this point though. (Which wouldn't be too hard the assets are there in HD now).

https://store.nisamerica.com/preorders/trails-of-cold-steel-iii

NISA is good at marketing and merch stuff so theres that too, i'm in casual optimism mode atm.

Edited by Jedi

Good early signs, some other context is that Chiplock said if he had a different director for whatever reason he wouldn’t  voice Rean again. So whew (knew he was back from the trailer but still).

Edited by Jedi

5 hours ago, Jedi said:

The unfortunate thing about this all is how much Crossbell stuff people are gonna straight up miss because without those a huge chunk of things will lack context without some form of extra explanations.

I would hope that they do a localization-exclusive thing where in the summary section, they put the things that happened in Crossbell so players aren't too lost (kinda like how Xenosaga put the Japanese-exclusive "A Missing Year" stuff in Episode III's summary section). Trails has been pretty good at putting those refreshers that you can access before you start each game though they've previously just reviewed what happened previously in the specific arc.

6 hours ago, Jedi said:

i'm in casual optimism mode atm.

Same. I'm still in the camp that the Ys 8 localization wasn't as bad as people made it out to be (untranslated lines aside) but i imagine that NISA received enough backlash to not mess up like that again.

On the brighter side of things, if i had to guess, we'll get CS4 localized at the same time next year.

3 hours ago, Rapier said:

It's just the PS4 localization too, to boot. A PC version might take twice as long. Just great.

There isn't a PC version to begin with yet so it makes sense that they'll go for the PS4 one (unless the PC ports is a localization exclusive thing).

I just did the quest to steal back the royal mining commission from Bleublanc in Second Chapter and... what the hell was with that boss fight?

The Moukis wouldn't stop summoning more Moukis until I eventually died to seven of them spamming Super HP Absorb and Aero Storm. And that's not counting the three or so I killed during the battle.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

There isn't a PC version to begin with yet so it makes sense that they'll go for the PS4 one (unless the PC ports is a localization exclusive thing).

What I meant was, we'll have to wait until Fall 2019 for CS3 on the PS4, then probably twice that time for a localized PC version, all the while crossing our fingers so that the port might not flop terribly.

16 hours ago, Rapier said:

What I meant was, we'll have to wait until Fall 2019 for CS3 on the PS4, then probably twice that time for a localized PC version, all the while crossing our fingers so that the port might not flop terribly.

I wouldn’t trust any NISA made port with a 10-foot pole, a localization is one thing but they have a history of bad PC porting.

Also regardless of which game any of you are currently in there’s an in universe book series you should probably read as it’s about to become relevant in CS3.

Edited by Jedi

... Yeah, I might buy a PS4.

Also, Tsukihime + Trails? Holy shit, I'm sold.

EDIT: Oh, right, it's one of these books-inside-games. It's interesting how they're well written and tend to have a relevance later on, like

Spoiler

The book speaking about Toval and the one about manipulating other creatures as "magic knights", which is referenced by Renne and used by Millium, Sara and the other girl, at least.

Edited by Rapier

On 1/17/2019 at 8:03 AM, Jedi said:

Not very. We’ll have to wait and see what happens, CS3 being in NISA hands is one of the worst things possible though in a lot of fans minds. Although they seem to have gotten a few of the old Xseed workers from the other games on this one, (Sean Chiplock made it sound like Brittany at least was directing the voice stuff).

LOH games could fit several large novels per game in how much dialog they have.

The Crossbell games likely don’t have a chance of localization unless they get remade at this point though. (Which wouldn't be too hard the assets are there in HD now).

https://store.nisamerica.com/preorders/trails-of-cold-steel-iii

NISA is good at marketing and merch stuff so theres that too, i'm in casual optimism mode atm.

Man, pre-order this, or keep saving for an eventual Three Houses Switch?  These guys are NOT making it easy for me!

(I'm not buying the first two CS games for PS4, I don't like them quite that much)

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

Man, pre-order this, or keep saving for an eventual Three Houses Switch?  These guys are NOT making it easy for me!

(I'm not buying the first two CS games for PS4, I don't like them quite that much)

I preordered it with a Rean shirt haha.

9 hours ago, RV14 said:

i hope the also localize Aoi no kiseki and Zero no kiseki

We do have high quality fan translations almost done with those two, but yeah don’t expect those localized until they get remade potentially on PS4. (Because tons of Crossbell assets got remade on PS4).

The company that did the PC versions of Zero and AO are xenophobic, they likely wouldn’t let Xseed or NISA touch them in any way, and at this point probably not profitable for either company to grab them. Despite their major importance and popularity in the Japanese Kiseki fandom.

We can only hope that there is a go over of both games plots and key points in this CS3 localization, since AO plays heavily into CS3 along with CS2, while CS4 takes a lot of elements from 3rd and Zero.

On 1/17/2019 at 12:37 PM, Cure Naga said:

Found this, throw stuff at me if anyone says it has already been known for some time. Just trying to be helpful, but if you'd rather I stay away, then I shall.

For those who don't read the article, CS3 apparently a script of 2.5 million Japanese characters, or 1.1 million words. And for comparison that word count is:

2.3 times the entire Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

2.4 times the Witcher 3 video game.

And just a little longer than all seven Harry Potter books.

As the article points out, it is partly just the nature of the medium. Video games can be word-heavier than books. Consider that in the above comparisons the Witcher III is just smaller than the entirety of LoR.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

The real question is: What's worse, CS3 or SC, in terms of words? :P:

Iirc Falcom themselves states CS3 and 4 have the biggest scripts out of all the Trails games haha.

I know everyone is talking about Cold Steel, but in my Sky SC adventures, I just defeated Gilbert with a meatball.

Just wanted you all to know that Gilbert lost to a meatball.

Gilbert lost to a meatball.

Edited by Anomalocaris

3 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

I know everyone is talking about Cold Steel, but in my Sky SC adventures, I just defeated Gilbert with a meatball.

This should've been a Steam accomplishment.  But it isn't.  WHY?!

Anyway, congrats!

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

This should've been a Steam accomplishment.  But it isn't.  WHY?!

Anyway, congrats!

Spoiler

I totally know how I'm going to finish off Angel Weissmann now, too. Maybe I'll even time it to align with the Doom Baker achievement, and record it. The question is, meatball or stale cookie?

1 minute ago, Anomalocaris said:
  Hide contents

I totally know how I'm going to finish off Angel Weissmann now, too. Maybe I'll even time it to align with the Doom Baker achievement, and record it. The question is, meatball or stale cookie?

Spoiler

Stale cookie, for Gilbert already ate the meatball.

14 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

am I the only one who was repeatedly owned by Gilbert

36 minutes ago, Rapier said:

am I the only one who was repeatedly owned by Gilbert

Doubtful, he gets you in a bad spot in at least one encounter so I bet it was quite a few people.

On 1/17/2019 at 9:37 AM, Cure Naga said:

Bump but here is your answer officially 

8E2C015D-31AF-424A-82B0-8D6AEFB663EC.jpeg

Edited by IS Bath Salts HQ