General Trails thread (Trails of Cold Steel 4 (PS4) out now).

Armagon

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around the demo today and I'm cautiously optimistic. Seems that for long-time fans this should be a treat! So many familiar faces so soon,  the battle system takes exactly 0 seconds to get used to again and the dynamics between characters already seem fun (tho I expect great things from a Vander. This guy will not have an easy time living up to the amazing Mueller). 

Now to just wait one more month and have some good binge-play sessions leading up to halloween. 

10 hours ago, Rapier said:

So, Trails to Zero's translation is done and they finished editing.

Now to wait until I can download the patch and figure out how to patch it to the PC version.

Sweet I have some people to post this to then.

• 1 month later...

Currently playing through CS3.  Just made it past Chapter 1.  My thoughts:

The bad:

Spoiler

What in the everliving fuck was that scene with Shirley and Duvalie?

The good (this is spoilered for a good reason):

Spoiler

I like how it's a mix of the old and new Class VII, and I enjoyed the field trip to Hamel.  Burst was what got me through the final boss fight.  Story's interesting, but it feels a little forced.  I'll give it another chapter to see if it flows better.

I played till the intro. 

It was nice to see new battle mechanics.

Have to get used on the controls a bit because they are complete new for me. 

Unfortunately I saw too many characters from other LoH series which made me think to play Crossbell first to get the entire story. Though playing in JP is tedious and needs too much time. Hopefully it will not hurt me skipping Crossbell duology. 

Question: What is BP in the turn bonus? 

Edited by Lysithea

On 11/15/2019 at 8:52 AM, Lysithea said:

Question: What is BP in the turn bonus? 

BP are Battle Points, and are used for Orders (trust me, you'll need those for harder fights) and Rush/Burst attacks.

As for spoilers, they start in

Spoiler

Chapter 2

though a certain character or two may drop some here and there.

As for the nature of the Crossbell stuff. . .

Spoiler

If you played CS2, you'll have some idea of what's going on.  Read through the library, and you'll have a slightly better picture.  But the true impact will most likely be lost, since the Crossbell team is indirectly affected by the politics in this chapter.  If you're going for a full completionist run, you'll most likely guess what their fate is before the big reveal.

Rixie's fate is really dumb, and easily missed.  Everyone else, at least, has some role.  I feel like this chapter is the unofficial epilogue to the Crossbell games, though I haven't had a chance to play either.

Everybody's out here enjoying Cold Steel 3 and I'm just sitting here with Sky 3. Replaying it on Nightmare finally.

I just beat Cassius, and on the first try! It was quite a rush. I actually had more trouble with Lt. Col. Cid and his squadron. Either way, I am now the Dadliest.

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

YOOOO, LET'S GOOOOO

Whatever happened to Falcom saying they were too small to port junk and that they were sticking to the Playstation- understandable- for most of their titles?

Welp, I have reason to start up my old PS3 once again ignore FFIX, XIII, and Sonic Generations. My reason for not getting ToCS 1&2 is gone- not being able to finish the subseries of games. I don't mind emulating, so the Crossbell games will be no problemo for me. I won't have access to Chemtrails in the Sky b/c no PC, but oh well.

Though not being able to watch and TV and play video games at the same time will be such a bummer to go back to once more.

Please let this mean a Ys IX port is possible, I liked VIII, so another would be nice. I just hope it's a wee bit shorter. And that it doesn't leave me saddened and unable to return to it ever again.

This felt like an April Joke, but it is not. 

Unfortunately I was too inpatient and just have bought a PS4 mainly for this game. 

The release for Switch will not hurt me since I will grab it and sell my PS4 copy (deluxe edition) because nothing is better than playing outside. 

If someone here is interested in this, I would sell it for a fair price (~ 30 €). 

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Whatever happened to Falcom saying they were too small to port junk and that they were sticking to the Playstation- understandable- for most of their titles?

It looks like NISA themselves is doing the port. Ys 8 was localized by NISA but ported by someone else.

On the subject of the CS3 Switch port, it's gonna be running at 720p, 30 FPS. The resolution is a bit of a bummer but nothing dealbreaking. The 30 FPS is whatever, it's turn-based.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I won't have access to Chemtrails in the Sky b/c no PC, but oh well.

Sky and Sky SC were on the PSP in English as well. So if you have a PSP, you could try buying the game online (or just emulate). Sky 3rd is PC only though.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

On the subject of the CS3 Switch port, it's gonna be running at 720p, 30 FPS. The resolution is a bit of a bummer but nothing dealbreaking. The 30 FPS is whatever, it's turn-based.

I don't notice FPS differences, only genuine lag, so this doesn't bother me at all. (What problems did BotW have in this regard? I've heard complaints, but never understood them.)

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Sky and Sky SC were on the PSP in English as well. So if you have a PSP, you could try buying the game online (or just emulate). Sky 3rd is PC only though.

No, no PSP, and my ethical boundaries for emulation require it be a game which is entirely "dead" in availability and thus unable for the developer to profit from. Eternity alive on the PC stops me on this matter.

Still, I've stalked enough CS topics to know it's okay, if not ideal, to start with CS.

But I forget, should Xbell be played before CSII? Or was it Sky that really should be played before some "Divertissement" (which I was surprised to learn is a real word) in CS2?

I welcome the opportunity to be initiated into a new cult. The Order of Chi Cielo Ferrum Heros, let the bull blood wash my naked body through the grating above, as I rip apart with my bare hands another live bull in front of me after drinking a half-dozen cups of fortified wine.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

(What problems did BotW have in this regard? I've heard complaints, but never understood them.)

BotW had some noticable lag in certain places. I don't remember where exactly but i know the stables in front of the enterance to the Rito Village had some lag.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But I forget, should Xbell be played before CSII? Or was it Sky that really should be played before some "Divertissement" (which I was surprised to learn is a real word) in CS2?

It's Crossbell but Cold Steel 3 and especially 4 assume you've played every game that came before it. So if playing the Sky trilogy is out of the question, watch an LP or read up on them to be familiar. So if i were you, i'd do that and then start actually playing with the Crossbell games before moving onto Cold Steel.

Edited by Armagon

Wow, Cold Steel 3 is coming to Switch? That's great since recently I have been contemplating between buying a PS4 just to play CS3 or waiting for the PS5 to come out so I could buy and play other PS4/PS5 games. Now I don't have to spend a ton of money doing either since I will be able to buy CS3 for Switch. Hopefully it's also a sign that other Trails game will someday be ported to Switch as well because I would love to have the whole series on one console.