General Trails thread (Trails of Cold Steel 4 (PS4) out now).

Armagon

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is cool, it's one less reason to get a PS4. Though it will be kind of annoying if I miss out on any save transfer bonuses for buying the "wrong" version of the game, when I completed CS1&2 on PSTV before. Has Falcom typically allowed for cross-platform save transfers?

Edited by Robert of Normandy

10 hours ago, Robert of Normandy said:

This is cool, it's one less reason to get a PS4. Though it will be kind of annoying if I miss out on any save transfer bonuses for buying the "wrong" version of the game, when I completed CS1&2 on PSTV before. Has Falcom typically allowed for cross-platform save transfers?

Cold Steel 2 save doesn't transfer to 3, so it's a moot point. As long as you have 1 and 2 on the same system, and 3 and 4 on the same system, you're good.

13 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

Cold Steel 2 save doesn't transfer to 3, so it's a moot point. As long as you have 1 and 2 on the same system, and 3 and 4 on the same system, you're good.

Ah, I thought it did. That seems to have been the norm for the series previously, but I guess the timesskip is too much?

On 12/7/2019 at 11:20 AM, Robert of Normandy said:

Ah, I thought it did. That seems to have been the norm for the series previously, but I guess the timesskip is too much?

I think it's also the hardware switch from PS3/Vita to PS4, plus since the major focus is on the newbies in 3 (at least the first half) it would be a little silly I guess? Not sure though.

• 2 weeks later...

So is this Hajimari no Kiseki ("Trails of the Beginning") supposed to be the start of the next story arc?

https://www.siliconera.com/the-legend-of-heroes-hajimari-no-kiseki-announced-for-ps4-releases-summer-2020-in-japan/

Given Japan already has CS4, I guess it's not too soon for another 2-4 game journey to begin?

Yeah, also read about it. Dang already summer 2020. I think about playing it in japanese, my skills are slowly getting at the point there my understanding goes in a good direction. I am pretty hyped. Also played through Cold Steel 4 after 3. But at the moment I reached the point where I have to watch out what I talk about without spoiling...

Also this comes pretty fast.. I think I started with the series at a too good point..

But I still need to play Zero and Ao no Kiseki. Which also come at a good time.. I am really getting the full load. Where others had to wait for a long time. xD

16 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So is this Hajimari no Kiseki ("Trails of the Beginning") supposed to be the start of the next story arc?

https://www.siliconera.com/the-legend-of-heroes-hajimari-no-kiseki-announced-for-ps4-releases-summer-2020-in-japan/

Given Japan already has CS4, I guess it's not too soon for another 2-4 game journey to begin?

No it's more like a 3rd style game but for Cold Steel, the main deal though is that we'll have 3 groups though, one led by Rean, one by Lloyd and one by an entirely new duo. 

50+ Characters too. This is the start of something different though for sure since it's a new naming convention but it looks very much like a 3rd style game again, even mentioning "Episodes" for characters similar to the doors.

I'd say it's more like a 3rd for both the Crossbell duology and the Cold Steel tetrology.

Lookin' pretty neat either way. 50 characters?! If you were to consolidate every character who has ever been playable in Cold Steel, you'd already have 47, and at the very least there's the new "hermit" character and presumably Noel is playable again. That being said, it's unlikely they'd keep everybody from Cold Steel IV around, so... who knows?

Newly-playable characters who will be playable for the first time in Hajimari?

Not many come to mind, since Sen's villains largely either died or were already playable at some point. Maybe could find some excuse for us to play as

Spoiler

Shirley, Cedric, Bleublanc, McBurn, or Rufus?

Edited by Anomalocaris

9 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

Newly-playable characters who will be playable for the first time in Hajimari?

Not many come to mind, since Sen's villains largely either died or were already playable at some point. Maybe could find some excuse for us to play as

Hide contents

Shirley, Cedric, Bleublanc, McBurn, or Rufus?

There's also several from Sky and Crossbell who could show up. 

Also i'm doing a fandom poll https://forms.gle/uETDNEHFjUByuXXu6

1 hour ago, Anomalocaris said:

Filled out the questionnaire even though I've only played the Sky trilogy thus far.

I hope you don't mind me shitposting for the pairing questions, I have no earnest interest in pairings.

Absolutely fine, last poll had a meme character known as the Gunforcer etc etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 6:17 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Has anyone here played the iOS versions of Ys I and II? I don't have a PC, and are wondering how playable they are with touch controls.

I haven't but I'd recommend the PSP versions in that case. 

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Is each Trails of Cold Steel game a standalone story, or do I need to play 1 & 2 to appreciate 3?

The entire series is one overarching story. While it is possible to start with the first game of each arc, Cold Steel 3 and 4 assume you've played every game that came before it. So it's best to just start with Trails in the Sky and then go from there (timeline isn't too hard to follow, just follow the release order).

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The entire series is one overarching story. While it is possible to start with the first game of each arc, Cold Steel 3 and 4 assume you've played every game that came before it. So it's best to just start with Trails in the Sky and then go from there (timeline isn't too hard to follow, just follow the release order).

Eesh. That's quite prohibitive given that these span multiple console gens and I'd be dealing with inflated amazon prices.

Edit:

Well, it looks like Steam may be the best/cheapest route to experience the franchise, provided the PC ports are any good.

Edited by Etheus

10 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Well, it looks like Steam may be the best/cheapest route to experience the franchise, provided the PC ports are any good.

Just FYI, the entire Crossbell arc (Trails to Zero and Trails of Azure) was never localized (yet, the recently announced Kai versions might get localized). So you're gonna need a PSP emulator and the fan-translations of those games. Thankfully, both of them have good translations.

The Crossbell arc takes place at roughly the same time as Cold Steel 1 and 2 so you could start Cold Steel before Crossbell but it's still recommended that you just play in release order since Cold Steel 1 and 2 spoil quite a bit regarding Crossbell.

Edited by Armagon

On 1/20/2020 at 9:07 AM, Etheus said:

Eesh. That's quite prohibitive given that these span multiple console gens and I'd be dealing with inflated amazon prices.

Edit:

The Steam versions are very good, yes. I have the Sky trilogy on Steam, at least.