General Trails thread (Trails of Cold Steel 4 (PS4) out now).

Armagon

Why Cold Steel 5 or another country/continent when you can have a game that is a casual Switch exclusive about playing the minigames from The Third with your family and friends. I'd love to play Poker while using an Olivier avatar.

Spoiler

Bonus points if my "Richard is the guy who was playing Poker and Blackjack in Calvard all along while investigating stuff for Cassius" headcanon is confirmed.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

Nah, it should be Bleublanc!  He should impersonate every major political figure in Erebonia, then pass some ridiculous law like "at 2 PM, everyone needs to stop and smell the roses". :P:

Even better idea, it's actually Gilbert, who goes on a quest to prove that he can actually be taken seriously for once.

Spoiler

He fails.

Anyway, i've been replaying all of the currently localized Trails games+Crossbell in preparation for CS3 (currently flipping between Azure and Cold Steel 1 in order to synchronize the events as best as possible. I'm right before the Trade Conference so you can imagine how hectic it is essentially playing two games at once) and replaying these games have has allowed me to appreciate even more how everything's been setup. 

Spoiler

For example, the Cult from Zero no Kiseki has been setup since Sky FC (Joshua makes a comment on how Cassius Bright solved a big issue in Calvard, which is exactly what the Cult extermination ended up being).

I've also come to appreciate the gameplay of Crossbell and Erebonia even more because now that i've played most of the games more than once, i can say that Liberl is a bit....janky gameplay wise. Thing like the camera being bad at times, enemies still challenging you even when you're significantly higher level (i've been doing New Game+) and of course, the time when S-Crafts that could only hit one target still existed. I don't mean this in a negative way though, because Liberl gameplay isn't bad, it's just not as refined as newer games, which makes sense.

I will say i did catch a few contradictions, the biggest one being Prince Olivert. Every game says he's the Crown Prince of Erebonia but then Cold Steel comes along and says it's actually Cedric who's the Crown Prince. I suppose retcons like these come with the territory though. An overarching plot currently spanning 9 games and 15 irl years is bound to have a few missteps.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Even better idea, it's actually Gilbert, who goes on a quest to prove that he can actually be taken seriously for once.

Reveal hidden contents

He fails.

Gilbert and Duvalie as co-protagonists, lamenting how nobody takes them seriously. But Duvalie doesn't take Gilbert seriously either so it's a lopsided relationship.

Apologies for the double-post, but I've got a spoiler-y question for those who can understand Cold Steel 4's script. It's about our good friend Arianrhod.

Spoiler

I understand it's mentioned she was infertile (ironic given her name) and unable to be a mother, which is why she didn't shack up with Dreichels. I was wondering if there was an official explanation for that.

Was it the result of an injury/birth defect? Something to do with her dying and coming back to life? Or did she simply go through menopause during her centuries of life?

I assume the latter would happen eventually regardless of any prior circumstances, since there's no reason to believe immortality comes with an infinite supply of oocytes, but I was curious if there was some other reason before that.

Edited by Anomalocaris

Guan has a full on thread here, goes into detail on Ys 9 and the upcoming 15th Anniversary game. 

Which seems to be involving some Crossbell and CS1/2 characters in particular.

On 3/24/2019 at 5:40 AM, Jedi said:

Guan has a full on thread here, goes into detail on Ys 9 and the upcoming 15th Anniversary game. 

Which seems to be involving some Crossbell and CS1/2 characters in particular.

If it's being presented as a "15th" Anniversary" game, then it's probably some special spin-off game, no? Maybe like a fighting game or something or whatever as a way to celebrate how far the series has come.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

If it's being presented as a "15th" Anniversary" game, then it's probably some special spin-off game, no? Maybe like a fighting game or something or whatever as a way to celebrate how far the series has come.

Doubtful, it's looking much like a Sky 3rd type of game especially with who they're advertising for it. 

Gaius's Brother, Wald who is currently under Wazy's protection, and a reformed Scarlet sounds like a very church based game to me. Along with Rixia for a power support probably under Wazy's request.

Some folks are already theorizing a dual pair of Dominions as the protagonists.

Edited by Jedi

4 hours ago, Jedi said:

Doubtful, it's looking much like a Sky 3rd type of game especially with who they're advertising for it. 

Reveal hidden contents

Gaius's Brother, Wald who is currently under Wazy's protection, and a reformed Scarlet sounds like a very church based game to me. Along with Rixia for a power support probably under Wazy's request.

Some folks are already theorizing a dual pair of Dominions as the protagonists.

Ah that makes sense. Especially considering that

Spoiler

Wald isn't fully shown, he's just a silhouette. I do hope it's a Dominon-lead game for the potential of seeing Kevin and Ries again.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Ah that makes sense. Especially considering that

Reveal hidden contents

Wald isn't fully shown, he's just a silhouette. I do hope it's a Dominon-lead game for the potential of seeing Kevin and Ries again.

It'd be a good chance to see them, as well as see the Erebonia ones do some more, along with potentially Wazy, but I can't divulge who they are here. 

This doesn't have anything to do with the recent news, i just made this for fun.

mRWW6vO.png

Trails games but ranked on how good their opening song is. None of the songs are bad imo, but some are better than others.

And yeah, Trails in the Sky does have an opening song but it's the only one in the series without lyrics and because it's my tier list, i'm gonna say it doesn't have one.

Edited by Armagon

22 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

If we get a Dominion-focused game, would it finally be Ein's time to shine?

She is the Selnate, after all.

She’s probably too powerful to be playable. For much more than a few battles. I don’t see her getting involved personally yet either.

She also has no connection to the people teased.

Edited by Jedi

• 2 weeks later...

So I've finally started playing Trails the 3rd, and... I'm running into a bothersome issue.

I can't play the game for more than about half an hour without it going into a state of permanent stuttering and lag, missing textures, messed-up animations, and camera rotations/sliding menus looking like a won game of Solitaire.

I didn't have this problem with FC or SC, and my computer is a beast that more than meets all the requirements, so I'm not sure what's causing this other than perhaps something in my game settings? It's the Steam version of the game, for reference.

7 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

So I've finally started playing Trails the 3rd, and... I'm running into a bothersome issue.

I can't play the game for more than about half an hour without it going into a state of permanent stuttering and lag, missing textures, messed-up animations, and camera rotations/sliding menus looking like a won game of Solitaire.

I didn't have this problem with FC or SC, and my computer is a beast that more than meets all the requirements, so I'm not sure what's causing this other than perhaps something in my game settings? It's the Steam version of the game, for reference.

Oh dear. Looks like the Lord of Phantasma won't let you play the game.

On a more serious note, what settings is the game set to? Could have something to do with that. Could i take a look?

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Oh dear. Looks like the Lord of Phantasma won't let you play the game.

On a more serious note, what settings is the game set to? Could have something to do with that. Could i take a look?

Here's my config.

Thank you for looking.

Like I said it runs fine for a while, but then suddenly falls off after half an hour of gameplay. My computer is very powerful so I don't think it's because of high graphical settings or anything like that.

Edited by Anomalocaris

8 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Here's my config.

Thank you for looking.

Like I said it runs fine for a while, but then suddenly falls off after half an hour of gameplay. My computer is very powerful so I don't think it's because of high graphical settings or anything like that.

I think i may have spotted the issue. You have hardware vertex shading on. I think i remember turning that on once and the game started glitching at certain points. Try turning that off and see if that helps.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I think i may have spotted the issue. You have hardware vertex shading on. I think i remember turning that on once and the game started glitching at certain points. Try turning that off and see if that helps.

Huh, a lot of people in past discussions are saying it SHOULD be on to prevent this kind of stuff. But I will try disabling it and playing for a while. Thank you.

Edited by Anomalocaris

12 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Huh, a lot of people in past discussions are saying it SHOULD be on to prevent this kind of stuff. But I will try disabling it and playing for a while. Thank you.

Hope it helps. If it doesn't though, i recommend toning down some of the more intense settings (well, intense for Sky 3rd). That said, your setting were pretty much identical to mine aside from what i suggested so this should fix the problem.

Edited by Armagon

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Hope it helps. If it doesn't though, i recommend toning down some of the more intense settings (well, intense for Sky 3rd). That said, your setting were pretty much identical to mine aside from what i suggested so this should fix the problem.

Alas, no dice. It's still happening.

5 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Alas, no dice. It's still happening.

Hmm. Then in that case, turn off some of the more intense options. Sky 3rd isn't a demanding game to begin with but there are some rather high settings there. Turn those off and see if it does anything.

And i'm sure you've tried but if you haven't, i also recommend reseting your PC.

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Hmm. Then in that case, turn off some of the more intense options. Sky 3rd isn't a demanding game to begin with but there are some rather high settings there. Turn those off and see if it does anything.

And i'm sure you've tried but if you haven't, i also recommend reseting your PC.

Reducing the intensity shouldn't matter... I've got 32 GB of RAM, an Intel Xeon 2.80 GHz processor, and a higher-end graphics card. I'll try again tomorrow I guess.

Dang I rushed through trails of cold Steel I. Got it last Friday on PS4 and through with the game, next month is time for part 2. I will try to take it slower, still takes a while for part 3 to be released.
Overall I started with Legend of Heroes end of last year and got through Trails in the Sky 1-3 in 2 Months. 
Also glad that I started with Trails in the Sky, praise Olivert and Sherazard my favorite characters from Sky yeah.

2 minutes ago, Stroud said:

Dang I rushed through trails of cold Steel I. Got it last Friday on PS4 and through with the game, next month is time for part 2. I will try to take it slower, still takes a while for part 3 to be released.
Overall I started with Legend of Heroes end of last year and got through Trails in the Sky 1-3 in 2 Months. 
Also glad that I started with Trails in the Sky, praise Olivert and Sherazard my favorite characters from Sky yeah.

Might want to look into the Japanese only (but with some fan translations) Crossbell games in the meantime as well considering they're pretty important to Cold Steel 3. 

14 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

Reducing the intensity shouldn't matter... I've got 32 GB of RAM, an Intel Xeon 2.80 GHz processor, and a higher-end graphics card. I'll try again tomorrow I guess.

Yeah, it shouldn't matter and your PC is definitely more powerful than mine. But, if not the game settings, then it could be an issue with your PC itself.

Here's what my game settings look like, for reference

mUKQQg5.png

My PC's specs

4dtjn58.png

Edited by Armagon

47 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Might want to look into the Japanese only (but with some fan translations) Crossbell games in the meantime as well considering they're pretty important to Cold Steel 3

True also thought that missing the Crossbell games will take a bit from the plot..., I could take a look at these after I completed the second game. I have a bit time there and my psn store on vita is japanese. I might get it there and I know enough japanese to get a bit through.