General Trails thread (Trails of Cold Steel 4 (PS4) out now).

Armagon

30 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Haha, maybe i shouldn't have done that. Turns out that characters don't get EXP when they aren't in the party, which explains why Kloe, Zane and Olivier are doing lackluster damage for me right now. So changing up my party is like, an objectively bad thing in SC because then the characters that aren't there just end up underleveled.

Is it like this for the rest of the series too?

I don't know about Crossbell, but CoS only has slightly diminished amounts of exp given for not being in the main party. Not that you ever need to switch once you find out who the top tier characters are in each game though.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, familyplayer said:

May I ask how so? I don't particularly see why.

While he has a small character Arc in CS1, in CS2 he is just there. The war ''started by the nobles'' should've affected him more. Instead he is just there to follow the orders of the glorious leader Rean-sama. And well, to bicker with Jusis.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

So changing up my party is like, an objectively bad thing in SC because then the characters that aren't there just end up underleveled.

dw about this. Underlvld characters get waaaaaaaay more exp and will catch up in a few battles.

Edited by Shrimperor

6 hours ago, familyplayer said:

I don't know about Crossbell, but CoS only has slightly diminished amounts of exp given for not being in the main party. Not that you ever need to switch once you find out who the top tier characters are in each game though.

Crossbell only has 4 main characters so you don't have to worry about that, since your other characters are guests. 

Also you shouldn't discourage having fun with CS's cast considering the entire cast has alot of fun such as a certain turn loop you can do in CS1 late game with Machias & Alisa haha.

Interesting thing with character effectiveness in Sky & CS vastly changes in speedrun format according to the few speedrunners of Trails I know.

Edited by Jedi

It is very easy to catch up in levels. Just have a stronger unit take your scrubs to grind and you'll be earning tons of XP for them in no time. Especially if you farm Shining Poms.

Also, a part of me wants to speedrun Trails of Cold Steel since I want a perfect save file for transfer bonuses and I have to finally ship Rean with Emma, damn it.

Edited by Rapier

26 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

i mean
i can link you one if you want

Emma may not be best girl (that's Fie), but Rean x Emma is good civ. :3

While I decide if I play fair and redo everything perfectly on Cold Steel or if I should be a cheat and get the save file, please send it to me. If it is Rean x Emma, all the better.

Also yeah, I also like Fie. I'd also like Rean x Towa more if only Towa actually existed on Cold Steel's narrative.

Edited by Rapier

Some SC spoiler thoughts

Spoiler

I swear Olivier, if you're about to pull a Xenoblade 1 Dickson on me....

1 hour ago, Rapier said:

Especially if you farm Shining Poms.

So what's the trick to taking these guys out?

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Some SC spoiler thoughts

Hide contents

I swear Olivier, if you're about to pull a Xenoblade 1 Dickson on me....

So what's the trick to taking these guys out?

If he does (idk anything about Xenoblade btw), Estelle will remind him that she has a very large stick.

As for Shining Poms, 200 CP S-Breaks will do the trick. Even if you just manage to kill one (if you lack units with good str and long range S-Breaks), you'll get a lot of exp anyway. I think Olivier, Tita and Agate do their job well if you're in the session of the game I think you are.

Also, thanks for the save files!

Edited by Rapier

3 minutes ago, Rapier said:

As for Shining Poms, 200 CP S-Breaks will do the trick. Even if you just manage to kill one (if you lack units with good str and long range S-Breaks), you'll get a lot of exp anyway. I think Olivier, Tita and Agate do their job well if you're in the session of the game I think you are.

Well maybe not Olivier because

Spoiler

i'm in Ch.7 so Olivier's left the party (for now anyway, idk if he comes back) and i've just entered the first tower-dimension thing.

But like, reason i mentioned Dickson is because Olivier mentioned how he and Estelle's group would be foes next time they meet and i'm like "Olivier, i swear..."

But who knows, maybe i'm wrong. I'll find out when i get there.

So i'm fighting a certain "Angel of Slaughter" and ooooooh boy, it's somehow worse than that fog monster fight.

Spoiler

For some reason, the fight against Renne is treated as a surprise attack, even though the fights atop the other towers were treated as regular attacks. But here's the actual bullshit part: Renne goes first and she always will open up with her S-Craft, which has a pretty decent chance of inflicting instant death. I usually don't mind instant death attacks in JRPGs but this is one you can do literally nothing about since Renne will always go first. My first attempt, she instantly killed my entire party. No boss should ever be allowed to go first and open up with an instant death attack. That is actual garbage game design and, as of right now, it brought down SC for me from a 9/10 to an 8/10.

I had a nasty surprise with that too, but then I just used Grail Sphere (or, well, you can use the anti-deathblow equipment) and had smooth sailing. It turns into one of the easiest boss fights if you go prepared, especially if you have two characters with 100 CP to deal with the mobs in one hit.

The boss fight before that made me cry harder:

Spoiler

seriously, screw Luciola and her dust mobs.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Well maybe not Olivier because

Hide contents

i'm in Ch.7 so Olivier's left the party (for now anyway, idk if he comes back) and i've just entered the first tower-dimension thing.

But like, reason i mentioned Dickson is because Olivier mentioned how he and Estelle's group would be foes next time they meet and i'm like "Olivier, i swear..."

But who knows, maybe i'm wrong. I'll find out when i get there.

Woops, thought you were in an earlier chapter. You can still use the others, so...

For now, I just suggest using your favorite team. You'll get plenty of chances to level up later, if you ever feel like using different characters.

Edited by Rapier

38 minutes ago, Rapier said:

I had a nasty surprise with that too, but then I just used Grail Sphere (or, well, you can use the anti-deathblow equipment) and had smooth sailing. It turns into one of the easiest boss fights if you go prepared, especially if you have two characters with 100 CP to deal with the mobs in one hit.

36 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Sehai-kun or anti-DB equipment

Ok, i take back my comment about not being able to do anything about it. Next time i do a playthrough of SC, i'll bring Kevin along and find some anti-DB equipment.

Still though, that's a pretty dick move against people who are going in blind (like me) and even if i was using a guide, she still shouldn't be able to go first.

50 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Still though, that's a pretty dick move against people who are going in blind (like me) and even if i was using a guide, she still shouldn't be able to go first.

honestly, i was going blind, too, and had to restart and redo my equipment. I did it without Kevin, but with Kloe...

she revived my Team 5 times and dealt the most damage in this battle xD

On ‎28‎.‎04‎.‎2018 at 6:19 PM, Armagon said:

That's the case with SC as well and i'm guessing 3rd.

Wait, hold up, is that not the case for Crossbell and Cold Steel?

In ToCS you have only a ~60% Chance to escape.
However there's an item which allows to escape from any regular battle guaranteed.
And one unit has a masterquartz which grants a higher %-rate to get an advantage encounter even if the enemy hits you from the back.

To my former comment I have to add that's way easier to get a disadvantage encounter in TitS since you move an entire party, so the enemy has more room to hit you.

Did you just read about Zero/Azure or did you actually try to play these games (iirc there is a leaked version, although it's kinda pointless to search for it now since the translation is on 90% and we might as well get to play it by late May or early June)?

I.... kinda want to make my 5x5 too now. :V

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I think my 5x5 would be 24 pictures of Sieg and one of Celine but I'm weird like that.

You got no love for a certain azure bird? I mean, it doesn't have a personality as far as I know, but still.

For me, it'd probably be:

Spoiler

Estelle - Joshua - Olivier - Agate - Kloe
Richard - Cassius - Renne - Tita - Loewe

Kevin - Ries - Emma - Gaius - Alisa

Towa - Crow - Sara - Fie - Elise

Anelace - Kurt - Weissman (???) - Jusis - idk, maybe Bleublanc

And I'm glad I don't have to think this over that much, which will probably change when I finally get to play Crossbell.

Hooray, i finally finished SC so just like i did with FC, here are my thoughts.

What I liked

• Amazing cast of characters as always and Kevin has dethroned Zane as best boy (though Kevin, we need to talk about that hair, the hairstyle's fine, just change the green).
  • The story was better than the first one and it got really good from Ch.5 onwards.
  • Music was good and i've got some new favorites. The theme that plays when you fight the "Jaegars" in the prolouge,the boss theme, the opening and ending themes.
  • Not every colored chest wanted to kill me this time.
  • Chain Crafts were a nice concept, even if i didn't use them much.
  • Actual animated cutscenes this time, something that was lacking in FC. 
  • The mini-map in dungeons, while it doesn't actually show the layout, does show enemy positions. Useful for taking the advantage in a battle.
  • Bonuses weren't as numerous this time and even though i now know how to manipulate turn orders, there wasn't as much RNG going on.
  • Tita's new S-Craft. 
  • Spoiler

Renne and Loewe were good villains

• Spoiler

Olivier got me good, i was totally expecting him to betray us. Was also not expecting him to be the prince of Erebonia.

• Pretty much everything that made FC great is here and SC made them better.
  •  

What I didn't like

• Jesus Christ, this game has some bad and tedious boss fights that put King Penguin in FC to shame. The big dust monsters in Ch.1 that can heal themselves, the fog monsters of doom that you have to fight three times over the course of the game, the dragon, a certain Angel of Slaughter that will always go first the first time you fight her and she opens up with an S-Craft that has a good chance of instantly killing you, why does the last phase of the final boss have 999,999 HP? Granted, i did eventually cheat on these fights but my first few attempts on most of them (so not the fog monsters) were legitimate but eventually, i just said fuck it.
  • Wasn't really a fan of the forced surprise attacks. I hope that isn't something that appears consistently throughout the series.
  • Ch.8 gameplay-wise because
  • Spoiler

you can't use your Arts unless you equip a Zero Field Generator but that's only up to a certain point in Ch.8 because then you're only left with one of them and Tita absolutely needs it because she won't be able to do anything without it for that chapter. I didn't like that most of my party members ended up losing access to an important part of their abilities for a chapter. Especially since you basically lose the ability to heal without using items and the only one who can heal during that time without items is Tita.

Regarding the villains

• Spoiler

While Renne and Loewe were good, i didn't care for much of the villains. Wiessman and Walter were eh, Blueblanc was just evil Olivier with no backstory, the game wanted me to care about Luciola but failed in that and Campena did jack shit but he'll probably show up again in 3rd.

•  

But yeah, those are my thoughts on SC. A certain boss fight brought down the game from a 9/10 to an 8 but the last stretch of the game brought it back to a 9. I'll get started on 3rd soon and after that, it's time for Ys.

In other news

14 hours ago, Rapier said:

Did you just read about Zero/Azure or did you actually try to play these games (iirc there is a leaked version, although it's kinda pointless to search for it now since the translation is on 90% and we might as well get to play it by late May or early June)?

Wait, wasn't the translation for Crossbell (the first game anyway) 60% done in February? Now it's at 90%? Damn, the translators are really working hard. I have to respect that.

Edited by Armagon

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Wait, wasn't the translation for Crossbell (the first game anyway) 60% done in February? Now it's at 90%? Damn, the translators are really working hard. I have to respect that.

The translation stuff is done. The editing though is at 60% as of Feb. 23. The leaked version is a very unedited version of an older translation iirc. It's understandable but has some obvious editing issues that make it a little jank.