General Trails thread (Trails of Cold Steel 4 (PS4) out now).

Armagon

20 hours ago, familyplayer said:

Edit: Also, since we seem to keep coming back to it, is the okatuization of niche series just an inevitability at this point nowadays? FE, SMT, Trails... There's some hope to rebound of course, but I feel like niche series are losing their niche qualities to become mainstream to get more profit a lot nowadays (whether its for necessary reasons or not is up to debate). (Note: I don't mean to sound doom and gloom of course, or sound like a complainer. I like my favorite series to get more attention, but if they have to make sacrifices to some stuff, I'm not sure if that's a good thing.)

To add my two cents into the topic, i generally dislike the term "otakuization" because it kinda just feels like like a quick way to say something isn't as good as it used to be (usually when talking about JRPGs). Because like, what actually constitutes as "too anime" in the first place? Using FE as an example, a lot of people say Fates' writing suffered because it was "too anime" but the fact of the matter is, Fates' writing is just abysmal. Whether it was "too anime" or not is irrelevant. I don't know what the case is with SMT and as for Trails, if Cold Steel is lacking in some areas compared to Sky, that doesn't mean Cold Steel is "too anime", that just means that the writers haven't put in as much effort as they did with Sky. But also, that could very easily mean that Sky set a really high bar and Cold Steel's writers (is Trails all written by the same guy(s) or...?) just haven't been able to top that. How people chose to perceive that bar is gonna be different. Using Xeno as an example, the Xeno fanbase pretty much agrees that Xenogears has the best story in the series and only Xenosaga Episode 3 and Xenoblade 1 have come close to it but when you ask them to rank the games from best to worst, we actually have a pretty tough time doing that and the only consistency with the rankings is that Xenosaga Episode 2 is almost always at the bottom. I don't know if the Trails fanbase is the same, it'd be nice to see some statistics on how they rank the Trails games from best to worst.

Basically, just because a JRPG series isn't as good as it used to be doesn't automatically mean that it was "otakuzied". And even when a series is anime as fuck, it doesn't automatically guarantee it will go mainstream. I mean, last i checked, Hyperdimension Neptunia is still very niche. If a JRPG series wants to reach mainstream status, what it really needs is good marketing. Fire Emblem achieved mainstream status because Awakening received actual marketing. Persona achieved mainstream status because of Persona 5 getting good marketing. Xeno achieved mainstream status because it actually had marketing. If Trails wants to achieve mainstream status, it need good marketing (outside of Japan obviously).

Oh and being on the Switch would be nice too. I know Ys has been around for 30 years and i guarantee that it's popularity is gonna shoot up (maybe even skyrocket) when Ys 8 releases on the Switch next month.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I know Ys has been around for 30 years and i guarantee that it's popularity is gonna shoot up (maybe even skyrocket) when Ys 8 releases on the Switch next month.

I'd say the stigma over the shoddy localization (even with the update there's apparently still bits with awkward wording/flat out untranslated) along with a likely minimal marketing budget will make sure this isn't much of the case. So to tie back into what you said earlier, it just needs solid marketing and positive word of mouth-- neither of which Ys VIII has really got.

6 hours ago, Jedi said:

I love to see endless bitching about a series I like.

Time to clock out of this thread and go back to the actual fanbase, shouldn't have expected anything from this place though.

I'm sorry if I gave that impression to you -  overall, I think the Cold Steel games are good (wouldn't have bought CS2 on full price right after finishing CS1 if I didn't), but I also think it is only fair to praise it for what it does right and criticize it for what it does wrong. It's similar to the new Sonic games: You can still be a fan of the series but criticize things that Sonic Team did wrong, one doesn't necessarily exclude the other.

Anyway, in the end of the day, I wouldn't say the issue is "otakuzation" (Scherazard kept making suggestive jokes on FC and SC to everyone, even more so on the latter, and Luciola had a pretty fanservice costume), but as clipsey said it, characters as tropes. It's also bad that we don't see them interacting with each other or doing other significant things when outside Rean's gravitational orbit. They feel like they're just... there, more like side characters than main characters. I like Class VII, but I also wish they had more presence than being supports for Rean, which is the vibe the game gave me.

I will admit, the term otakuization is a really hard term to give a hard definition as to what I mean. I, of course, know what I'm trying to get across with its use, but I'm no English major, so I honestly don't know how to put it in a way that's understandable for people other than me. At the end of the day, I think shoving in unnecessary dating mechanics into a series where they don't belong is almost guaranteed to hurt writing, seeing how most of these cases have gone, and that marketing is important as y'all have pointed out.

Side note: While I understand your point with Neptunia, that's kinda a very meme type game, so I'm not surprised in the least that it's niche. 

1 minute ago, familyplayer said:

I will admit, the term otakuization is a really hard term to give a hard definition as to what I mean. I, of course, know what I'm trying to get across with its use, but I'm no English major, so I honestly don't know how to put it in a way that's understandable for people other than me. At the end of the day, I think shoving in unnecessary dating mechanics into a series where they don't belong is almost guaranteed to hurt writing, seeing how most of these cases have gone, and that marketing is important as y'all have pointed out.

Side note: While I understand your point with Neptunia, that's kinda a very meme type game, so I'm not surprised in the least that it's niche. 

I understand what you mean, even if I don't agree with the terminology.

It's more than the "find your one true BFF/love" schtick.  A lot of character nuance was lost between Sky/Cold Steel, instead gravitating towards gimmicks.  It doesn't help that Cold Steel's cast is far larger than Sky's, so there's less time to focus on everyone.  Theme aside, Thors is presented as a high school first, complete with different clubs, a class president, and a festival.  Other than the character gimmicks, it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

IMO Trails does characters right, and that's something that they shouldn't back down on.

12 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I am not so sure about that after what happened with Ys8 PC and NISA. It got alot of bad publicity because NISA truely fucked up.

The actual porting was done by someone else entirely; likely due to it not initially being on the cards.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2018 at 6:07 AM, Armagon said:

Like, i do wanna make my own opinions on him and the rest of the Cold Steel cast when i actually get to playing the Cold Steel games but right now....my first impressions of Rean aren't that high.

On the one hand, you want to be informed to make sure games you play in your finite ~80 year lifespan are worth your time and your money, and that your expectations for what you do buy are kept in check. And it is entertaining reading what others have to say.

But at the same time, you only have one chance for a first impression, which reading what others have to say impedes, and nobody wants their opinions to be wholly or overwhelming that of others, they want their views to be their own personal ones derived from their own independent effort to discern the truth of something, be it politics or a the qualities of a video game.

It can be hard to balance the two contradictory desires sometimes. The price of short-term reading, even if it is fun, about a game is that if you do too much, the repetition of criticisms will weigh in on you too heavily. The price of going in too blind, is meeting total blind frustration and disappointment and you'll regret having ever played the game.

If you're fortunate enough to have the chance, a good compromise could be to play a game alongside others playing it for the first time I'd think. Like I plan to when Vestaria Saga comes aboard this summer, just to bring that up.

On 4/27/2018 at 2:06 PM, Armagon said:

OH BOY, TRAILS IN THE SKY SC HAS IT'S OWN LOST WOODS SECTION

If you're looking for a game with a baaaaaaad Lost Woods segment, try the interesting PS1 oddity made by good old Squaresoft called Vagrant Story, that one got me lost a lot. And I think the NG+ I never got to has another such segment, or something like one.

On 4/28/2018 at 10:47 AM, Armagon said:

Xenoblade has spoiled me on that front (XC1 and 2 let you freely change party members on the fly but not X for some reason

I can understand not having full access to all 18 characters at any time that would be a little bit of a mess flipping through, but the game doesn't even let you keep reserves you can swap in and out on the field. Nor do they let you freely swap characters in the BLADE Barracks, which is a real bell they're missing. Having to warp to a character's hangout spot every time you want to use them is a bit of a hassle (and remember some times of the day they might be at a heart-to-heart location instead until you finish those).

On 5/5/2018 at 7:37 PM, Armagon said:

I don't know what the case is with SMT

I think the first signs might have shown with SMT IV, but I believe the majority of the criticism is from SMT IV: Apocalypse, the sequel to IV. I have this wrapped in plastic copy within five feet of me, and what I hear, and I haven't paid attention too much, is that the plot goes too anime and happy and not the usual grey and bleak (bleak is really a good word for SMT I think). A shame, since I'm looking forward to seeing what the nontraditional non-Law, Neutral, Chaos route/ending choices are.

Strange Journey Redux seems also partake of this mistake with its new content, well at least concerning the art direction. I won't call SMT pre-IV perfect in this matter (Diana wearing breasts makes no sense as one so known for her virginity, SMT Rama is blasphemy to all religions), or in any other, but IV made some questionable character and demon design choices- some I like, others I loathe (how could they denigrate the Prince of Darkness so?). If you go back a few pages to this one topic here on SF, you should be able to find one on Strange Journey comparing the old artwork of the human characters- the MC, Gore, Jimenez, Zeleinin, to the Redux versions of them, the Redux takes on those very same artworks is expressly worse by general consensus.

...Reading the fun of this topic makes me want to consider making a general JRPG discussion topic, but that'd be too nebulous being open to every game in the genre I'd think. 

This topic also brings up this little thing with me where I'm revulsed by player character-other character bonding scenes in game, but part of me, perhaps out of some small distorted psychological desire, wants to run headlong into them. But then I think "what you want out of the characters you bond with, and what you will get from them, will not align and you'll feel worse from it", which helps keep the desire repressed.

P.S.

Could someone point me to specific evidence of how supposedly bad NISA's translation and localization efforts can be? I kinda like reading about translation stuff, though I'm never going to learn a lick of Japanese, I don't think languages are my thing sadly.

As for alternatives to NISA, how many does Nihon Falcom reasonably have? NIS deals in low budget rather junky JRPG and SRPG games, if they have any leverage over Falcom, I'd hazard, knowing nothing else, it have to do with them being a cheap way of turning rising sun runes into mutt runes (because English is a mutty slutty language, "culturally pluralistic" to spin it nicely).

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Could someone point me to specific evidence of how supposedly bad NISA's translation and localization efforts can be? I kinda like reading about translation stuff, though I'm never going to learn a lick of Japanese, I don't think languages are my thing sadly.

While there have been many fudge-ups over the years, one of the biggest ones of recent date was the horrendous Ys 8 where they had to later patch the following. Source:https://gematsu.com/2018/01/ys-viii-relocalization-update-now-available

The relocalization, which weighs 1.16 gigabytes on PlayStation 4 and 279 megabytes on PS Vita, includes changes in the script, item names, in-game terminology, monster and boss names, graphical text, and a fully re-recorded English dialogue.
Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/01/ys-viii-relocalization-update-now-available#h3gBAERYWj4X1MLb.99

There are many other examples of rushed translations and whatnot too throughout the years. Also, to comment on Ys 8 for a second again, it's been proven that they machine translated some of the lines in the original patch. If EA is considered the worst business in the US, I think I know who would be second.

On the one hand, you want to be informed to make sure games you play in your finite ~80 year lifespan are worth your time and your money, and that your expectations for what you do buy are kept in check. And it is entertaining reading what others have to say.

But at the same time, you only have one chance for a first impression, which reading what others have to say impedes, and nobody wants their opinions to be wholly or overwhelming that of others, they want their views to be their own personal ones derived from their own independent effort to discern the truth of something, be it politics or a the qualities of a video game.

It can be hard to balance the two contradictory desires sometimes. The price of short-term reading, even if it is fun, about a game is that if you do too much, the repetition of criticisms will weigh in on you too heavily. The price of going in too blind, is meeting total blind frustration and disappointment and you'll regret having ever played the game.

Yeah, that is true. Luckily for me, even when i do read opinions on a game, i still try going into it with an open mind and then i either agree or disagree with what i saw. For example, before i played FE4, i consistently heard it was one of the best games ever but then i actually played the game and was like "wow, the gameplay is atrocious". 

So even with the stuff i've heard about Cold Steel being not as good as Sky, i won't decide that until i actually play it.

Here's an imgur album with screenshots of Ys 8's localization: https://imgur.com/a/g6f8y

And it's not there but i did see a screenshot of the updated version where they straight-up forgot to translate the text.

All that said though, maybe it's because i'm an optimistic person but honestly.......the localization isn't that bad. At least to me. It's more-or-less around the quality of Fates' localization.

As for alternatives to NISA, how many does Nihon Falcom reasonably have?

Falcom also has XSeed to localize their games, as shown with Trails in the Sky (and i think Cold Steel).

As for a progress update on Trails in the Sky the 3rd, i'm on the 6th Plane and also, Tita can board a mecha Xeno-style during battle and that makes her the best character in the game and has a permanent spot on my team.

My progress on the game has been slow compared to the previous two because of exams coming up.

Edited by Armagon

Personnally, mitigated review doesn't bother me. It allows me to have a more "understanding" approach, and forgive his flaws better.

Because, honestly, none of the two Cold Steel games are totally awfull. Annoying. Frustrating. But not truly game-breaking either.
CS and CS2 are good games. We may be quite harsh on the game, but (I can't talk for others here,) I actually liked them. They could be better, they could be great

I even think hearing this about Cold Steel would have allowed me to have a better impression.

Because Sky (especially SC) put the expectations quite high, especially character-wise. So lowering them a bit would have helped.

On the other hand, I personally  have harder time with excessively positive review (evn if I may be really enthusiastic as well about certain games). Because it puts extremely high expectations on a game that, most of the time, won't be able to reach.
That fact certainly played a role in my ...lukewarm reaction to FFX.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Here's an imgur album with screenshots of Ys 8's localization: https://imgur.com/a/g6f8y

Point taken, awkward and sometimes redundant English, inconsistent naming, use of ellipses where it works in Japanese, but not in English. Yeah it certainly seems quite flawed.

The boss name mixup reminds me a little of Arc Rise Fantasia, where one Rogress (summon monster) was called Papirusagu, which sounds rather romanji and not fully translated. Using my knowledge from other games, I came to conclude it's supposed be Pabilsag, the name of a Mesopotamian mythological figure. That game had a kinda eh translation (the VAs were worse), but it did teach me the real expression "The Devil is beating his wife".

Muramasa: The Demon Blade Wii version I remember to have been a game with probably one of the worse translations I've played not FFT. The Japanese VAs say so much, the on screen text is so little, you wonder if they cut a lot out of the English. The game was translated by Ignition, a company that apparently made an infamously poorly translated VN for DS called Lux Pain. I don't have a Vita, but I should see if I can find a video that compares the new translation Vita translation of Muramasa with the old one.

2 hours ago, Tamanoir said:

On the other hand, I personally  have harder time with excessively positive review (evn if I may be really enthusiastic as well about certain games). Because it puts extremely high expectations on a game that, most of the time, won't be able to reach.
That fact certainly played a role in my ...lukewarm reaction to FFX.

My reaction to FFX was also a bit mixed- I'd like it more if the postgame wasn't so tedious that I couldn't be bothered with it. Why'd they take so long before opening up the Monster Arena to the player when you have to fetch many monsters back from every prior location in the game? But it is Suikoden II, held up as this masterpiece, well it really wasn't for me more so than FFX was, it had some nice things, Luca Blight was good, but it's faults were not negligible. Legend of Dragoon, not so incredible either. Not bad, just not really out of the ordinary for the JRPG genre. I'd like to criticize Skies of Arcadia and Chrono Cross a little, but my issue here is I really spoiled their plots, much more so CC's, too much in advance for me to fairly critique them (and CC does get plenty o' flak as is).

I won't say Final Fantasy is bad, the series as a whole is not, but it does help to not always be just accepting of "the greats/classics/AAAs" as being just that. Critically contemplating them, why they are great and why they might not be, is a way towards general intellectual development. 

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My reaction to FFX was also a bit mixed- I'd like it more if the postgame wasn't so tedious that I couldn't be bothered with it. Why'd they take so long before opening up the Monster Arena to the player when you have to fetch many monsters back from every prior location in the game? But it is Suikoden II, held up as this masterpiece, well it really wasn't for me more so than FFX was, it had some nice things, Luca Blight was good, but it's faults were not negligible. Legend of Dragoon, not so incredible either. Not bad, just not really out of the ordinary for the JRPG genre. I'd like to criticize Skies of Arcadia and Chrono Cross a little, but my issue here is I really spoiled their plots, much more so CC's, too much in advance for me to fairly critique them (and CC does get plenty o' flak as is).

I won't say Final Fantasy is bad, the series as a whole is not, but it does help to not always be just accepting of "the greats/classics/AAAs" as being just that. Critically contemplating them, why they are great and why they might not be, is a way towards general intellectual development. 

My main issue with the game wasn't purely logical though.
It's simply that nothing in this game hooked me. Everything following is purely my opinion, obviously : THe character weren't particularily likeable or interresting, the world is beautifull, but feels really fake, and empy...
And the love story... It's Romeo and Juliet by person that doesn't understand Romeo and Juliet. Since I don't care about the character, how can I think about a love story that is fated to fall before even starting ? Despite this, I'll still defend Tidus Laugh Scene , because it was actually a good one.
Starting from there every little issues took too much importance, and it ended up being more a chore than anything to finish it. SO I didn't really bothered about the post game at this point.
So people who were deeply moved by this game (and they seems to be the majority) is an unsolvable mystery to me.
That's also why I prefered FFX-II. It's incredibly dumb, but it not taking itself seriously paradoxically helped me immersing me in the game easier.
(We really should make another topic for this)

It's totally different than my complaints about Cold Steel. The game have a few hooks, and many good thing on it, but it choses to focus on less interresting thing instead, or to make some questionable choices (mainly being "too anime", to put it simply) that breaks the immersion (and the immersion is a very important part of the serie).

Every game has flaws, but a good game isn't flawless. You just forget flaws are here.

2 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

the world is beautifull, but feels really fake, and empy...

Spira is visually beautiful, that I concur with. It's Polynesia & Ryukyu-inspired, which makes it look like paradise.

I disagree with it being exactly empty though. Compared to FFVII and VIII, the former played pre-X and the latter post-X for me, I can say that X makes a far better world than either of those games, not just graphically, but it terms of world building. VII has Midgar, which is great, but despite chat of "the Planet" and Mako, the world outside Midgar is disparate. There is even less cohesiveness to VIII's world, Esthar is somehow super advanced, but only entered an isolation bubble.... ~20 years ago? Trabia Garden is in the middle of nowhere with no nearby towns to support it. It just feels like scattered towns and cities, which can be said for most/a lot of JRPGs I think sadly. 

FFX set up a clear divide between rural Besaid and Kilika and urban Luca and Bevelle (though you never actually get to see the city), Guadosalam and the roads between cities felt realistic in a way as well. Things could have been better, but X made an okay effort at world building (note I have not played IX yet).

2 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

THe character weren't particularily likeable or interresting

Kimahri feel sad. Kimahri feel existential crisis, because Kimahri is unneeded beastman filler character.

I liked Auron, Wakka was fine as a representative of traditional Spiran society, Lulu was inoffensive, Rikku was fine (X-2 Rikku can jump off a cliff), Yuna worked, and Tidus was okay. Not my favorite hero cast for sure, but nothing too unlikable.

The villains, well they tried with Seymour Guado, which is more than can be said for

Spoiler

Yunalesca. And Yu Yevon is a nonvillain, a force of nature devoid of personality and form. We never even see what he was like in a flashback. Sin is just a wrathful leviathan that explains why we don't actually have a Leviathan Aeon in this game- too water associated, and is nothing more than the shell of Yu Yevon. Jecht is no villain.

In fact, outside of Seymour, there is no intelligent lifeform villain at all in this game. Interesting concept, but I don't think it was done right.

Which brings me to FFX's portrayal of religion as being too dogmatic, too stupid, too pathetic, too much of a societal hindrance, despite its attempts to counterbalance this with Yuna and Wakka. It isn't Luminous Arc 1 bad in terms of portrayal, but it's a sad sight for the writing of a AAA JRPG. That one corrupt Maester Mika's sudden choice to just give up his immortal life after hearing Yunalesca has been killed is a symbol of this.

15 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

Despite this, I'll still defend Tidus Laugh Scene , because it was actually a good one.

The Tidus Laugh Scene is really awkward, but it is supposed to be that! It's supposed to show how out of it Tidus is with Spiran society, and as a result of this, his attempt at romance too is a complete failure.

19 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

(We really should make another topic for this)

Yeah, we do need a separate topic for this. Just Final Fantasy, or JRPGs in general? The former is more narrow which might help facilitate discussion, but the latter could if it stays alive have some really interest discussions of less known/other JRPGs. 

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

All that said though, maybe it's because i'm an optimistic person but honestly.......the localization isn't that bad. At least to me. It's more-or-less around the quality of Fates' localization.

Fates felt like it had effort. I never felt like the localization team intentionally skimped out (except for maybe the "..." support) because they got lazy. They cut/changed content, sure, but I always felt like it was because they thought it was in the players' and business' best interest (whether that it was is a different debate). NISA didn't even really try. Minimal editing and even the horrendous idea of machine translating. If that doesn't show a lack of effort or care, I don't know what does. It's why I love that Xseed shows a lot of love and care for their games. They do their best to put in as much voice acting, they'll even add in extra lines (as seen in the PC releases of CS), and also add little things that weren't there in the OG game like with the chest phrases. NISA comes off as average at first, but that's when you compare it to a bygone age. They are like a fast food restaurant. It's not especially amazing or maybe even good, but you know what you're getting and it's cheap and efficient. Whether that's your cup of tea or not, I'm not sure, but imo, to put it as a ranking,

NISA-Horrible

Treehouse-Average

XSeed-Amazing

9 hours ago, familyplayer said:

Fates felt like it had effort. I never felt like the localization team intentionally skimped out (except for maybe the "..." support) because they got lazy. They cut/changed content, sure, but I always felt like it was because they thought it was in the players' and business' best interest (whether that it was is a different debate). NISA didn't even really try. Minimal editing and even the horrendous idea of machine translating. If that doesn't show a lack of effort or care, I don't know what does. It's why I love that Xseed shows a lot of love and care for their games. They do their best to put in as much voice acting, they'll even add in extra lines (as seen in the PC releases of CS), and also add little things that weren't there in the OG game like with the chest phrases. NISA comes off as average at first, but that's when you compare it to a bygone age. They are like a fast food restaurant. It's not especially amazing or maybe even good, but you know what you're getting and it's cheap and efficient. Whether that's your cup of tea or not, I'm not sure, but imo, to put it as a ranking,

NISA-Horrible

Treehouse-Average

XSeed-Amazing

NISA's transaltions sems to be more or less on the same level of Bandai Namco, form what I've sen.

I don't want to be particularily rude towards NISA, but it's hard not to see their attitude as purely oppportunist.
XSeed translated Trails because they cared about the series, and wanted to bring it t, but I'm not sure it's a great idea.o the West. NISA published the game in Europe because XSeed wasn't able to do it themselves.

They are at the top of the game, no doubt about it.
NISA taking care of the translations and centralizing everything is purely pragmatic, but I'm not concinced it's the bets solution.

@Interdimensional Observer While I could write page about my relation to FFX, a general JRPGs Thread would avoid more thread derivation, discuss common points and difference between JRPGs. (I think comparing the relation towards relgion in DQVII could be interresting as well.)

Guys, is it normal for someone to not continue playing a game just because they can't decide which characters they want to use?

Spoiler

I'm still locked by my dilemma of who to actively use in my Rean - Elliot - Fie - Claire main party. I really want to use Millium and Alisa (and Gaius somewhat), but Elliot's more useful, I like Fie and I need to increase the social link points with Claire for her special item.

Edited by Rapier

36 minutes ago, Rapier said:

Guys, is it normal for someone to not continue playing a game just because they can't decide which characters they want to use?

Hide contents

I'm still locked by my dilemma of who to actively use in my Rean - Elliot - Fie - Claire main party. I really want to use Millium and Alisa (and Gaius somewhat), but Elliot's more useful, I like Fie and I need to increase the social link points with Claire for her special item.

I admittedly had that issue a lot in CS and CSII where there are a lot of good party members to use, but you only have 6. If you want to, just keep Alisa and Elliot in the back if you gotta choose ones outside the main four. They're more for support anyway. 

3 hours ago, Rapier said:

Hide contents

I use everyone equally, because difference of levels stresses me.

On 5/17/2018 at 8:06 AM, Rapier said:

Reveal hidden contents

I use everyone, because I never know when I'll be in a situation that calls for them.

This picture is a few years old, so you might have seen it already, but here:

Just looking at this makes me exhausted

This is not including the Cold Steel games. Admittedly not all the text is devoted to the plot and characters, which a book does do, and it isn't always a 1-1 English word to Japanese character ratio, but it is still a lot of words. Found that image here.

According to NISA, as pointed out on that link in the same article:

With Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony, NIS America was looking at a script with 2.4 million Japanese characters. With a rough translation equivalent of two characters to one English word, the 1.2 million-word script alone for Danganronpa V3 would put it ahead of A Dance to the Music of Time, the longest English-language novel at one million words. Not only that, but Danganronpa features stylized text and characters, all of which has to be manually redrawn. Whereas a typical JRPG would involve just one translator and editor over a year or longer, NIS America formed a six-person staff, and completed it in under five months.

According to this Dutch translator, whose article I also found on LoL, a professional translator can only translate 2000 words per day. And you need extra days for proofreaders to check everything over and then send things back to the drawing board for editing. Using more translators has the issue of creating potential inconsistency in the writing. If NISA used 6 translators over a 150 day period (30 * 5), then if I'm doing the math right, then they did 1333 words per day per person. But with no days for proofreading, nor separate individuals operating wholly as those proofreaders.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

On 17.5.2018 at 8:06 PM, Rapier said:

Reveal hidden contents

for me

Fie and Emma were always in the Party. Always. I kept changing the other 3 every segment/Boss.

That's great to know, but do we even have an estimate for a Cold Steel III localization? I mean, I think they kind of rushed on CSI and CSII on purpose, but since then I've heard nothing about CSIII.