General Trails thread (Trails of Cold Steel 4 (PS4) out now).

Armagon

2 hours ago, Rapier said:

That's great to know, but do we even have an estimate for a Cold Steel III localization? I mean, I think they kind of rushed on CSI and CSII on purpose, but since then I've heard nothing about CSIII.

We still have absolutely nothing on CSIII localization, not sure if thats coming anytime soon and people still are fearful/hopeful it'll be done by NISA.

Before you ask why some people in the fandom want NISA to do it, two words Japanese Sub. Xseed has gotten a fair bit of heat from "Japanese Purists" for their localizations not containing the option. But if I recall they can't really do anything about that.

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Xseed gets all my adoration for taking on Sky SC.  I don't mind some leeway on the localization, as long as it doesn't completely change a character.

Be on the lookout on twitter rn more details on Sen IV are coming out and I got spoiled on some things because people didn't tag their posts properly 

Weird. Didn't the Sky games have an option to switch to japanese? I thought CS also had them. Also, it's not really their fault since it depends on Falcom's greenlight and may be associated with copyright law issues (I know nothing about law), so the complaints feel empty and unjustified. CS's acting is also pretty good, but to each their own, right?

A NISA translation would be the least of our problems (but still a serious one). They're pretty bad at porting and their Disgaea 5 port was running pretty badly as far as the demo is concerned. At this point, I don't expect anything good coming from them. If there is one good thing I hope their blotching of Ys does is disencourage Falcom to actually sign a deal with them for Cold Steel.

40 minutes ago, Rapier said:

Weird. Didn't the Sky games have an option to switch to japanese? I thought CS also had them. Also, it's not really their fault since it depends on Falcom's greenlight and may be associated with copyright law issues (I know nothing about law), so the complaints feel empty and unjustified. CS's acting is also pretty good, but to each their own, right?

A NISA translation would be the least of our problems (but still a serious one). They're pretty bad at porting and their Disgaea 5 port was running pretty badly as far as the demo is concerned. At this point, I don't expect anything good coming from them. If there is one good thing I hope their blotching of Ys does is disencourage Falcom to actually sign a deal with them for Cold Steel.

The CS options to turn to Japanese in the PC ports is for the menus only, people have done mod patches for them though for those who cannot live without their precious Japanese OG subs.

I've played the first few hours of the first game in the trails series and really liked it- I want to pick it up again and continue through the series. Do any of you remember if there is a snow town in the first game (LoH Trails in The Sky)? That would make the game even better for me as I really like snow in videogames haha.

18 minutes ago, Wanderer-Of-Fates said:

I've played the first few hours of the first game in the trails series and really liked it- I want to pick it up again and continue through the series. Do any of you remember if there is a snow town in the first game (LoH Trails in The Sky)? That would make the game even better for me as I really like snow in videogames haha.

There aren't any snow towns. Not in the Sky trilogy at least.

20 hours ago, Rapier said:

A NISA translation would be the least of our problems

Imo, NISA Trails is one of my current worst Nightmares. And will probably lead to me not 1 day buying em anymore and waiting for a 75% sale or something. If even that. After the Ys 8 fiasco, i don't wanna give a cent to NISA.

Very good thread for learning order and methods of playing all the games 

Also our first official big time trails figure is up for preorder. 

Edited by Jedi

So pretty much just play the games in the order that they released in. Makes sense. I actually did look up the Trails from Zero English patch and the one that's currently out is 100% translated and from what i gathered, it's basically like the old Binding Blade English patch (the one that called the game "Sword of Seals") and if that's the case, i'll play that and then play the game again when the better translation comes out.

Also, i looked in that thread, apparently the editing and translation for the Trails from Azure patch is at 93% completion. The beta, at least. So we'll likely be able to play it earlier than i thought.

In other news, i just found out about a side-game that isn't part of the mainline series called Nayuta no Kiseki/Trails of Nayuta. Is it any good?

Edited by Armagon

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

In other news, i just found out about a side-game that isn't part of the mainline series called Nayuta no Kiseki/Trails of Nayuta. Is it any good?

All I know is that it plays more like Ys or Zwei, but since its Falcom i'm gonna assume its pretty good at the least, and pretty amazing at its best. There is also a Japanese only gacha game for Trails, which iirc has some vague canon connections but nothing super important.

When you get to CS1's near end tell me so I can hand you an Audio Drama for a segment that got cut out and for a short Manga that connects some Sky related things to CS related things.

Still need to play Tokyo Xanadu, also Cold Steel IV is up for preorder on Amazon Japan and is already a best seller. 

and theres this news of the PS4 re-releases of CS1 & 2. Looks like China & Korea will be getting them. Along with III and IV

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/24/trails-cold-steel-iv-ps4-getting-chinese-korean-localizations-sony/

Edited by Jedi

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

So pretty much just play the games in the order that they released in. Makes sense. I actually did look up the Trails from Zero English patch and the one that's currently out is 100% translated and from what i gathered, it's basically like the old Binding Blade English patch (the one that called the game "Sword of Seals") and if that's the case, i'll play that and then play the game again when the better translation comes out.

Also, i looked in that thread, apparently the editing and translation for the Trails from Azure patch is at 93% completion. The beta, at least. So we'll likely be able to play it earlier than i thought.

There is an available fan translation, but it's.. not so great (really litteral. )

The game looks pretty good though.

12 hours ago, Jedi said:

When you get to CS1's near end tell me so I can hand you an Audio Drama for a segment that got cut out and for a short Manga that connects some Sky related things to CS related things.

Why didn't you offer that to me too? ç.ç

11 hours ago, Tamanoir said:

There is an available fan translation, but it's.. not so great (really litteral. )

Eh, i'll live. Looking at the screenshots, the text is perfectly readable. So i'll be fine when i get around to playing it.

Edited by Armagon

Drama CD - http://www.trailsofcoldsteel.com/cs2/memoirs1.html (read first one after you finish CS1, 2nd one before Finale CS2)

Ring of Judgement Manga - https://www.esterior.net/2016/01/translation-tuesday-the-legend-of-heroes-zero-no-kiseki-pre-story-the-ring-of-judgment-prologue/ (read after Sky Trilogy)

Edited by Shrimperor

Good news

My dad bought me a significantly better PC yesterday. 1 TB of storage and 8 GB of RAM. But more importantly - and i tested this - it can run both Cold Steel 1 and 2. I have both games downloaded and messed around with it a bit and yes, it works. Inb4 it craps out on me halfway through. I'm going to assume that if my PC can run the first two Cold Steel games, it can run the last two.

Bad news

Before now, i had all of my games on my USB. So when i plugged it in on my new PC to continue playing Sky 3rd, i found out that my sava data did not carry over. I have start the game over. Which sucks because i was near the end. So i'm just gonna play on Easy and try to breeze through the game to quickly get back to where i was.

I don't understand why though because it only happened to Sky 3rd. Xenogears, Sky FC and SC and any other games i had all still have their data.

The worst news

I have to play the stupid fishing minigame again. It sucks ass and don't even get me started on the gambling minigame.

Edited by Armagon

18 hours ago, Armagon said:

I have to play the stupid fishing minigame again. It sucks ass and don't even get me started on the gambling minigame.

I am, in a way, glad to see that I was not the only one to think that both of those sucked.

I liked the gambling minigames (tip is, don't draw more cards when you have 18 points in Blackjack) but the fishing minigame was terrible, especially so when the RNG decided to be an ass to me and give the AI a bunch of rare fishes in a row. The only thing that made me rush 3rd and avoid getting all achievements was a certain star (moon?) door

Spoiler

Namely, Kloe's second door. I really don't care about what she's doing with the kids and the matron, especially when it's a door about the latter's birthday.

Edited by Rapier

54 minutes ago, Rapier said:

I liked the gambling minigames (tip is, don't draw more cards when you have 18 points in Blackjack) but the fishing minigame was terrible, especially so when the RNG decided to be an ass to me and give the AI a bunch of rare fishes in a row. The only thing that made me rush 3rd and avoid getting all achievements was a certain star (moon?) door

Reveal hidden contents

Namely, Kloe's second door. I really don't care about what she's doing with the kids and the matron, especially when it's a door about the latter's birthday.

Yeah, that door and the one about

Spoiler

Josette and her family

are my least favorites. At least the one above has a fun minigame

10 hours ago, Rapier said:

the fishing minigame was terrible, especially so when the RNG decided to be an ass to me and give the AI a bunch of rare fishes in a row.

That happened to me too and it really sucks because the fishing minigame is so slow. Like, the first level isn't too bad but every level after that takes an eternity, especially if you lose.

On second thought, i'm not gonna go through all the doors. For now anyway. I know there's a door near the end that requires the completion of all the other doors but i'll just leave that for another time. For now, i'll just beat the game.

Edited by Armagon

On 02/06/2018 at 1:19 AM, Armagon said:

On second thought, i'm not gonna go through all the doors. For now anyway. I know there's a door near the end that requires the completion of all the other doors but i'll just leave that for another time. For now, i'll just beat the game.

Don't.

That door is important for the series' overall plot. At least read about it in a LP (as I did) if you don't feel like completing all the doors.

Speaking about doors (overall spoilers for 3rd's doors):

Spoiler

I wasn't ready for Renne's door when I visited it at 2AM. This game gut punched me hard.

I also liked Kloe's first door and Lechter. Oh and Oliver's door.

Edited by Rapier

I finally finished Trails in the Sky the 3rd. So you know what time it is

What i liked

• A lot of what i liked in the previous two games can apply here so i'll try to stick to the thing that only apply to 3rd.
  • Due to the structure of the game, you had a mini-map throughout the majority of the game, which was really good. Not having mini-maps in dungeons is one of my pet-peeves, as i've mentioned before. And because of that, i actually felt the incentive to explore, because i could see where i was going.
  • Having Kevin as the main lead this time was pretty great. I do think Estelle is a slightly better protag but the development that Kevin got was good.
  • They got rid of the monster-spawning chests. SC did this to an extent but there were still some chests that wanted to kill you. Here, only one chest does that and it doesn't count since you need what's inside to progress.
  • The doors were good at character and worldbuilding and i prefer them to the newspapers in previous games. I didn't go through all the doors but i did watch Star Door #14 on YouTube, since that was the one that required me to go through all the doors.
  • The Bobcat minigame.
  • Final boss talk
  • Spoiler

The way they handled it was pretty creative. Instead of having the expected "final boss has multiple phases" thing, instead they decided to split the whole group into even teams and have each of them fight a different boss, with Kevin's group taking on the final boss. A much better final boss than SC's final boss, which had three phases, each with an absurd amount of HP.

What i didn't like

• The fishing minigame. And the gambling one.
  • While i wouldn't say i disliked it, i wasn't too big on the setting of Phantasma. It doesn't feel as memorable as Liberl and while some of the planes do use the settings of Liberl, i think i would've rather gone through Liberl for a third time as opposed to being sent to the shadow realm a place that will never be revisited. Plus, the first, third, fifth and seventh planes weren't all that exciting. Especially the seventh one, which is really lazy in it's design. It's the same floor copy-pasted like four times, before coming to a boss and then repeating the process a few more times. But thanks to Phantasma's structure, a mini-map was present for the majority of the game so that's good.
  • Having instant-death be a bonus can really screw you over if you get ambushed and RNG decides to be a dick.
  • Vanish is also pretty dumb, even on your side. If you Vanish the enemy group, you win but you get nothing out of it.
    • Thankfully, neither of those two show up in boss battles. Well, Vanish does in one boss battle but that's more of something the boss can do.
  • Mira was pretty hard to come by at times. The only way to make Mira in this game is by selling, exchanging septih for Mira or by completing the doors. One of the doors gives you 100,000 Mira, which is great, but equipment is pretty damn expensive at that point. Of course, thanks to having to replay the game on Easy for reasons i mentioned last week, equipment wasn't as big of a deal, but regardless, if any of the games in the series allowed you to obtain Mira from killing monsters, this should've been it.
  • The fact that i have to say goodbye to the Sky cast. The Sky cast is amazing and i'm gonna miss them. 

With the Sky trilogy out of the way, i'm looking forward to playing the Crossbell and Cold Steel games soon. I'm thinking of playing Cold Steel 1 and Trails to Zero simultaneously, as they do take place at the same time.