General Trails thread (Trails of Cold Steel 4 (PS4) out now).

Armagon

6 hours ago, Hecatia Lapislazuli said:

Gameplaywise I preferred CS because of their quartz system and more freedom in the party, but storywise it was excellent.

Yeah FC, with it being very linear and all more so than pretty much any other game in the series, really doesn't give much options for most of the game. SC and 3rd improve on this dramatically though so it does get better.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, familyplayer said:

Yeah FC, with it being very linear and all more so than pretty much any other game in the series, really doesn't give much options for most of the game.

I'd say this is the case for every first game of each arc. Good games but the weakest of each arc. FC is very linear, as you said, Zero isn't as linear but your party will always remain the same outside of the few times where someone temporarily joins (and also Arts suck, i never felt the need to really use them outside of the final boss and that's because you have to). Cold Steel 1 has the field studies which breaks up the world into chunks and also forciebly switches up your party so it's a bit harder to invest in someone.

Once we get to Calvard (that's where the series is headed next right?), i'm sure the first Calvard game will be the weakest of it's arc.

Edit: Zero is probably the best out of the three games i mentioned. I actually haven't gotten around to Azure since i lost my PC (and while i could emulate it on my phone, extracting the files is a pain) so i don't know it compares to Zero but Zero felt the most complete out of the three starting games of each arc. It serves as an introductory and does foreshadow some things for the next game but it also doesn't end on a cliffhanger like FC and CS1 do.

Edited by Armagon

As I’ve completed Zero I can say it also foreshadows stuff that’s in CS and the entire franchise as a whole.

From what I’ve heard not even including spoilers people playing through Sen IV are mentioning wanting to go back to Zero when they finished to reconfirm stuff it sets up.

I’ve also begun writing for my series videos I’ve been planning on doing for the series. Which will include a general overarching video for the series, one focused on Sky, one for Crossbell, one for Cold Steel, then later ones in depth and with spoilers for each. Of course as I’m going through AO atm and then playing Cold Steel 3 and 4 I can’t fully do those yet. But soon, I’m on quite the brisk pace again.

My side project which I’m working on will be the entire series S-Crafts all done in character order when they showed up in the franchise. This will include every characters appearence, all the combos from Crossbell and all the Mech Supers.

Edited by Jedi

Bumping with this. PS4 versions of Cold Steel 1 and 2 will be coming west, which includes turbo mode and several other things. 

First time Xseed has done dual audio for this series too.

Edited by Jedi

Didn't they just release Cold Steel 2 on PC earlier this year and now they plan on releasing the games again on PS4? I guess I can take that as a sign that Cold Steel 3 will be translated some time soon in the future though personally I would have liked to hear more if the Crossbell games are still in a localization jam. I have played the Sky Trilogy and the CS 1 and 2 and would like to play the Crossbell games before Cold Steel 3 comes out in the west but I do understand if XSeed decides to skip the Crossbell arc and only release the Cold Steel games instead due to legal issues.

35 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Bumping with this. PS4 versions of Cold Steel 1 and 2 will be coming west, which includes turbo mode and several other things. 

Tinfoil hat moment: XSeed is localizing the PS4 ports so that Westernere can play the whole Cold Steel on one console. I predict CS3 will release late 2019 while CS4 releases sometime in 2020.

Though i do wonder ir CS3 and 4 will get PC ports as well.

5 hours ago, Jedi said:

Is that the same version as PC basically?

26 minutes ago, familyplayer said:

Is that the same version as PC basically?

Basically yeah, but this can be seen as a soft confirm for Cold Steel 3 getting localized by Xseed, or that's how some are taking it.

7 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

Didn't they just release Cold Steel 2 on PC earlier this year and now they plan on releasing the games again on PS4? I guess I can take that as a sign that Cold Steel 3 will be translated some time soon in the future though personally I would have liked to hear more if the Crossbell games are still in a localization jam. I have played the Sky Trilogy and the CS 1 and 2 and would like to play the Crossbell games before Cold Steel 3 comes out in the west but I do understand if XSeed decides to skip the Crossbell arc and only release the Cold Steel games instead due to legal issues.

You're going to want to check into the Crossbell games before CS3, they're pretty much required knowledge according to the people I know who've played 3 already and are on 4. 

The main problem with them not being localized is they're on too old of systems, and their old PC versions weren't done by Falcom, not to mention the company who does the EVO versions of the Trails games refuses to let any western company get their EVO versions.

11 minutes ago, Jedi said:

The main problem with them not being localized is they're on too old of systems, and their old PC versions weren't done by Falcom, not to mention the company who does the EVO versions of the Trails games refuses to let any western company get their EVO versions.

And with Sony permaently leaving the handheld market, any hope that the PSP versions of the Crossbell games are gone.

Who knows though, maybe when Xseed eventually localizes CS3, they include a summery of the Crossbell games just like how Cold Steel II and Ao had summeries of the games that came before it.

-------------

On another note, i do hope that Ys 8 on Switch sold well enough for Falcom to consider porting their other games to the Switch, including Trails. Having Trails on Switch would benefit pretty much everybody.

43 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And with Sony permaently leaving the handheld market, any hope that the PSP versions of the Crossbell games are gone.

Who knows though, maybe when Xseed eventually localizes CS3, they include a summery of the Crossbell games just like how Cold Steel II and Ao had summeries of the games that came before it.

-------------

On another note, i do hope that Ys 8 on Switch sold well enough for Falcom to consider porting their other games to the Switch, including Trails. Having Trails on Switch would benefit pretty much everybody.

Considering a chunk of the fanbase considers Ys 8 on switch as a joke due to the NISA involvement and such, I kinda doubt it.

Edited by Jedi

22 hours ago, Jedi said:

You're going to want to check into the Crossbell games before CS3, they're pretty much required knowledge according to the people I know who've played 3 already and are on 4. 

I'll just find and read an online summary of the Crossbell games if I have to. Yeah, I will probably still miss out on several small tidbit information here and there but I doubt I will find a way to play the games if XSeed continues to skip over them. But I will cross that bridge when the time comes for it.

But, assuming a Cold Steel 3 localization is actually happening do you think we will hear an announcement about it in 2019 and see it released in 2020/2021?

5 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

I'll just find and read an online summary of the Crossbell games if I have to. Yeah, I will probably still miss out on several small tidbit information here and there but I doubt I will find a way to play the games if XSeed continues to skip over them. But I will cross that bridge when the time comes for it.

But, assuming a Cold Steel 3 localization is actually happening do you think we will hear an announcement about it in 2019 and see it released in 2020/2021?

I’m guessing late 2019 or 2020. 

On 10/4/2018 at 4:58 AM, Necrofantasia said:

Since I saw CSI and II announced for PS4, is there a realistic chance of seeing non western released parts like the Crossbell series for the PS4?

There are hints that Crossbell might be getting PS4 ports, Xseed would likely be able to use those.

On 10/4/2018 at 11:22 AM, Cure Naga said:

Ehh maybe. It depends on Falcom and where they take the series after CS IV.

Heavily implied to be Calvard at the moment.

Calvard is also probably the last arc in the Trails series before the "Infinity War" of the series happens. There are other countries but other than Calvard, the games have basically explored all the important one. North Ambria and the Principality of Refi-something barely get talked about and are probably just there to make the world feel a bit bigger.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Calvard is also probably the last arc in the Trails series before the "Infinity War" of the series happens. There are other countries but other than Calvard, the games have basically explored all the important one. North Ambria and the Principality of Refi-something barely get talked about and are probably just there to make the world feel a bit bigger.

There is also the Holy Nation of Alteria which they have also mentioned being possible besides Calvard.

20 hours ago, eclipse said:

Given what little I know of North Ambria, I think it's going to be a lot more important than a footnote.

Yeah that’s true, as well as some ideas introduced in Ao No Kiseki which could back in force considering Zero and CS1s intros hint that there’s something interesting going on with said ideas

(the hint is the inconsistent character appearances in the intros compared to when you actually get there are actually explained).

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

Yeah that’s true, as well as some ideas introduced in Ao No Kiseki which could back in force considering Zero and CS1s intros hint that there’s something interesting going on with said ideas

Here's what I know about North Ambria (probably incorrect, but eh):

Spoiler

- Kevin's salt thingamabob was from there.
- Sara might've been born there or something.  It's mentioned in CS2, IIRC.

Salt thingamabob might've been enough for a mention, but having a somewhat major character from that area means that we're more than likely to go there.  Eventually.

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

Reveal hidden contents

(the hint is the inconsistent character appearances in the intros compared to when you actually get there are actually explained).

Spoiler

Wait, the intros actually mean something? I thought it was just there for show.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

Here's what I know about North Ambria (probably incorrect, but eh):

Hide contents

- Kevin's salt thingamabob was from there.
- Sara might've been born there or something.  It's mentioned in CS2, IIRC.

Salt thingamabob might've been enough for a mention, but having a somewhat major character from that area means that we're more than likely to go there.  Eventually.

Spoiler

Yeah, those two things are correct and the fact that the salt disaster thing that happened there has yet to actually be explained, we might go there.

Really, the only country that we probably won't visit at all is the Principality of Refi-something. We barely know anything about it, just that it's there.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:
  Hide contents

Wait, the intros actually mean something? I thought it was just there for show.

Hide contents

Yeah, those two things are correct and the fact that the salt disaster thing that happened there has yet to actually be explained, we might go there.

Really, the only country that we probably won't visit at all is the Principality of Refi-something. We barely know anything about it, just that it's there.

Gotta play AO is my answer for both of those.

Spoiler

I don't think we're have a whole game stationed in North Ambria only because iirc, they have a big poverty issue which is why the Northern Jaegars+Sara are from there. Wouldn't be surprised though if we visit for a bit though or something like that.