General Trails thread (Trails of Cold Steel 4 (PS4) out now).

Armagon

Spoiler

Maybe it would make a similar appearance in the next setting like the Nord Highlands did in Sen (if you can consider the two on the same metric...). Although, Calvard as the next setting makes me feel like it will be relatively disconnected to the Sen/Crossbell story-lines. I haven't finished Sen III yet or moved to IV, but from what I saw the convergence of all three settings is at an all time high. If all those plotlines were tied up by end of Sen, it makes me think Calvard would start off a cleaner slate - hopefully more expansion to the world-building!

That being said, it would be cool to visit the Kingdom of Gacha Remiferia, and Leman State. There's also the Ored Province and Alteria up for more lore boosts.

Spoiler

After all, we need an excuse for Kevin, and the crew to show up again.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently in a battle in the center of my mind against my indecision about continuing CS2, playing Zero instead (with the translation we currently have) or waiting until Zero's translation is over, then playing Ao's and going for CS2.

I confess I'm leaning toward "pick the translations we have for Zero and Ao (as simple and literal as they seem to be in their current state), play them, then go for CS2, then hope there's at least hints of a CS3 localization by the time I'm finished".

Edited by Rapier

I've read plenty of people say that Zero/Ao spoils less about CS1/CS2 than otherwise. The only things I know about Zero/Ao so far is.

Spoiler

The president/prime minister is responsible for the barrier and for erasing Garrelia Fortress from the map. He's also in cahoots with Ouroboros.

Someone important from the game joins Ouroboros and takes Weissman's spot. I'm glad I forgot who does that, but I vaguely recall it's a woman.

Kevin, Estelle, Joshua and Renne are in. They weren't really spoilers since they stated on 3rd they'd be on Crossbell, but fine.

So, probably not much to be spoiled of the fun. I guess I'll play Zero and forget about the better fan translation that might come next year or so.

On 10/22/2018 at 3:10 PM, Refa said:

I'd recommend playing Zero first over continuing on w/CS2. @Jedi Can probably explain why better than I can.

Yes, I think it works better playing Crossbell before Cold Steel overall, although thankfully I remember the details I need to going into my run of CS3 so far. 

Spectacular game already, one of the funnest i've played so far just in the gameplay department. CS3 also defintely needs Zero/AO completion before people even consider playing it and 4, and i'm only in Ch 1.

Edited by Jedi

1 hour ago, Cure Naga said:

How far does Legend of Heroes: Trails of the sky the animation worth watching before playing the series for trails of the sky? Also is it worth watching? 

As far as i've heard the animation is a super abridged version of Sky FC/SC and isn't super faithful because of it. Besides the one meme that came out of it.

6 minutes ago, Ashen Jedi said:

As far as i've heard the animation is a super abridged version of Sky FC/SC and isn't super faithful because of it. Besides the one meme that came out of it.

I kinda figured it wasn't as good as the actual games because that's the case with most anime adaptations of video games but hearing that it's a super abridged version of FC/SC makes me really curious and i think i'm gonna watch it soon. There's only two episodes, each lasting the length of a normal modern Doctor Who episode so i can probably knock it out in a day.

Edited by Armagon

8 hours ago, Cure Naga said:

How far does Legend of Heroes: Trails of the sky the animation worth watching before playing the series for trails of the sky? Also is it worth watching? 

I watched the animation a few weeks ago and honestly I thought it wasn't very good. It skips the first game entirely and only skims through some of the second game's big events. You also never see main antagonist, Zin never utters a line and only exist in the background for a shot, Kevin is also adapted out plus the animation ends before reaching the final dungeon (though maybe that was done to keep it a secret?). Character models also looked off, the dub voice acting was so bad it's good and I also felt like needless fan-service was tacked on as well.

I hate ragging on it since I do like the Trails series but I always think that anime/movie adaptations of video games never turn out good. Playing the game itself almost always offer a much enjoyable experience than watching something that has been watered down.

All I remember about the Trails anime is that Loewe looks like he came from a JoJo episode in a scene.

Spoiler

image.png.1b463958fb1d89a8bd85814ff01e7714.png

At least Renne is still super adorable, from Armagon's own Twitter:

Spoiler

Dqwv8kGX0AAT0l6.jpg:large

Edited by Rapier

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

So i watched the Trails in the Sky anime and live-tweeted my reactions to it.

I have some fries, can I have some of your salt? :P:

The only note I have is that Kloe's name in JP is "Klose" or something like that.

On 10/30/2018 at 9:53 PM, eclipse said:

I have some fries, can I have some of your salt? :P:

You'd probably be better off asking Weissman for that. He's got plenty.

Anyway, hello everyone. I just purchased Trails first chapter on Steam yesterday, have played up to the start of Chapter 1.

I've seen bits and pieces of FC and SC from one of my Steam friends streaming it, have been looking forward to trying it out myself. Can't wait to meet Olivier.

14 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

You'd probably be better off asking Weissman for that. He's got plenty.

Weissman is a perfect straw atheist accessing a discusson board, but I still really like him (and I think I'm one of the few people who do).

I also really liked Osborne when I played CS1.

Spoiler

Killing him sort of ditched all his potential as a villain, in my opinion. CS1 in general wasted many good opportunities.

Although that was unavoidable, since Zero no Kiseki had taken care of him before CS was a thing.

Edited by Rapier

28 minutes ago, Rapier said:

Weissman is a perfect straw atheist accessing a discusson board, but I still really like him (and I think I'm one of the few people who do)

I'm curious to see your reasoning as to why you like him, if you don't mind. Because to me, Wiessman is just wasted potential.

Spoiler

Especially coming after Richard. Richard was a great villain and Wiessman failed to live up to that. It also doesn't help that he kinda feels out of place in Ouroborus. Everyone else has their own motivations and reasons for being there (well almost everyone, i'm still trying to figure out why Blueblanc is there but he's entertaining enough) but Wiessman is just this moustache-twirling "muh, human emotions are useless" kinda guy. Sky 3rd gave us a bit of backstory but we hardly knew anything from that other than "he survived the North Ambria disaster" and "he was a bishop turned to the dark side". Basically, while Ouroborus does some really terrible things (like causing the Erebonia Civil War), they aren't always shown to be these evil overlords and cases like Joshua and Renne showed that they can be redeemed. But in the case of Wiessman, he's just "villian who hates human emotion for no reason #38608". Even the other bigwigs of Ouroborus (i forget what they are called) didn't like him.

But at least he's not Joachim, who is actually the worst villian in Trails. Trails to Zero had generally really lackluster villains imo but Joachim got the worst out of it.

23 hours ago, Armagon said:

I'm curious to see your reasoning as to why you like him, if you don't mind. Because to me, Wiessman is just wasted potential.

Reveal hidden contents

Especially coming after Richard. Richard was a great villain and Wiessman failed to live up to that. It also doesn't help that he kinda feels out of place in Ouroborus. Everyone else has their own motivations and reasons for being there (well almost everyone, i'm still trying to figure out why Blueblanc is there but he's entertaining enough) but Wiessman is just this moustache-twirling "muh, human emotions are useless" kinda guy. Sky 3rd gave us a bit of backstory but we hardly knew anything from that other than "he survived the North Ambria disaster" and "he was a bishop turned to the dark side". Basically, while Ouroborus does some really terrible things (like causing the Erebonia Civil War), they aren't always shown to be these evil overlords and cases like Joshua and Renne showed that they can be redeemed. But in the case of Wiessman, he's just "villian who hates human emotion for no reason #38608". Even the other bigwigs of Ouroborus (i forget what they are called) didn't like him.

But at least he's not Joachim, who is actually the worst villian in Trails. Trails to Zero had generally really lackluster villains imo but Joachim got the worst out of it.

Because I like his presentation and mannerisms, pretty much. He performs well as a faux-polite, intelectual straw nihilist.

Spoiler

His character isn't complex and he's simply evil for the sake of being evil, although it could be that the tragedy which struck North Ambria influenced his views (but this is never explored).

On a side note, my headcanon would be that it influenced his cold, nihilistic attitude, but unless Cold Steel/Crossbell touched the subject (which I bet it didn't), it's just speculation of my part. I think this detail would shine some light into his motivations, rather than handwaving it as "he's just a straw nihilist like that".

The only thing I have against Weissman is that his machinations.... are really underwhelming. He was obsessed with Joshua, despite having an army of Enforcers who outmatched him at his disposal, and lost good opportunities simply because he wanted to keep him as a murder puppet. He had plenty of opportunities to finish the main party off, but deliberately chose not to, and his plans only failed because plot contrivances had to stick a Stupid Ball(TM) to him, or else the overpowered illuminatis would've conquered the world.

I just cleared Chapter 1 of First Chapter. Olivier is indeed the best character thus far. Perhaps even one of the best video game characters of all time.

As you can guess by my introductory post in this thread I already know some stuff that happens later on, but nevertheless I'm having fun.

On 11/19/2018 at 2:11 PM, Armagon said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

The reason why Joachim is as nutty as he is is actually gone over in AO as are many things. The cult actual purpose and use anyways.

1 hour ago, Anomalocaris said:

Olivier is indeed the best character thus far. Perhaps even one of the best video game characters of all time.

Agreed. Olivier is a great highlight throughout the whole Sky trilogy, as well as the series as a whole.

Here's a tip that will help you greatly in FC (and i think the rest of the trilogy but i'm not sure if it got nerfed in SC. Pretty sure it did though): Confusion is the most broken thing in the game. I believe it's the Chaos Art that causes it (use Mirage Quartz). Once you have that, just spam it on enemies and watch as they have no choice but to attack their own enemies. It even works on most bosses, including the important ones. 

Another tip, i recommend on mainly upgrading Estelle and Josuha's equipment. Since you've completed chapter one (and know some other things), you'll have noticed that the party rotates. Estelle and Josuha are always there but the other two members will swap out each chapter. So whoever joins you in each chapter, you don't want to spend too much money on them since, if i remember correctly, they'll remove their stuff when they leave. 

Third tip, this is rather obvious but regularly do quests. Trading Septium for Mira is bad and in my experience, i've run out of money really quickly because i skipped a lot of the quests in FC. Don't repeat the mistake i made.