Fire Emblem: Ascension Feedback

Von Ithipathachai

Apparently I need to specify in this subforum whether or not I want feedback, and I can choose whether I would like it in the original thread or in a separate feedback thread.  I guess to keep things cleanly organized you can leave your feedback here.

Go nuts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot there so I'll have to get through it in a few sittings, but can I just say I love the little MS paint sprite things? They're cute.

Carol seems really neat, a female axe fighter and a lord? And we haven't seen a lord with an axe since Hector.

I'll give you some more thoughts when I look at it some more.

40 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Carol seems really neat, a female axe fighter and a lord? And we haven't seen a lord with an axe since Hector.

Carol is basically the Lord I fantasize about IS making, a hot female infantry axe-wielder.

As a unit, she's supposed to be like Lyn, but with axes, to address the tendency of axe infantry to lack in these areas.

Okay, I read the first chapter script! Interesting that the bandits have a mage among them, that's different and unique. The mythology with the gods rising the continent out of the ocean makes me wonder if there will be a demon god or something that wants to sink it and kill everyone on it. Also, lol Rosa! You're a cleric, shame on you, you shouldn't be joking about prostitution xD

This looks like it could very well be an actual FE game, I'll read more later!

25 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Okay, I read the first chapter script! Interesting that the bandits have a mage among them, that's different and unique. The mythology with the gods rising the continent out of the ocean makes me wonder if there will be a demon god or something that wants to sink it and kill everyone on it. Also, lol Rosa! You're a cleric, shame on you, you shouldn't be joking about prostitution xD

This looks like it could very well be an actual FE game, I'll read more later!

Thanks!  I do want this to feel as much like a real game as I can manage, which is why I went through all the trouble to give everyone their own stats and do my own class rebalancing.

While a Cthulhu-esque eldritch abomination sounds like a tempting final boss, I would like to avoid doing a typical dark god antagonist.  But you're not too far off the mark about it wanting to destroy the continent, sort of.

45 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

While a Cthulhu-esque eldritch abomination sounds like a tempting final boss, I would like to avoid doing a typical dark god antagonist. 

Yeah, we already had one in the form of the Demon King in Sacred Stones and a lot of other FE final bosses were really similar. Good choice.

A former bandit is Carol's father? That's really interesting and cool, I wonder what exactly made him see the light? Could it have been falling in love? 

Quixana sounds like a female name, so that threw me off a bit.

6 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

A former bandit is Carol's father? That's really interesting and cool, I wonder what exactly made him see the light? Could it have been falling in love? 

Quixana sounds like a female name, so that threw me off a bit.

I was originally going to flat out make Carol and her friends bandits, since I've always been interested in the idea of seeing the story from the bandits' point of view.  My idea was originally that Carol would become sort of like Robin Hood, stealing from corrupt nobles like Duke Leopold and giving back to the needy villagers, but the way I have the chapters planned, there wouldn't be much time to properly develop this aspect of her character.  But I still wanted to make her a hero of the people, which led to the Resistance vs. Leopold subplot you see now.

As for Quixana's name, in case you haven't noticed already, he's basically Don Quixote as a Fire Emblem character, because I thought that would be amusing to see.  My intention was for his name to sound similar to the ones in this snippet from the first chapter of the Don Quixote book:

They will have it his surname was Quixada or Quesada (for here there is some difference of opinion among the authors who write on the subject), although from reasonable conjectures it seems plain that he was called Quexana

I see! Yeah making bandit protagonists would be kinda difficult, people wouldn't relate to them if they were legit nasty.

I would've called him Quixote then, but your thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to reading chapter 3. Glauce is creepy, what the hell, why is she lusting after her brother? That's messed up. Interesting that you have a male pegasus knight, I guess Fates did that, but I always picture pegasi as only accepting female riders. Tito could've been a wyvern rider just as easily but it's your thing.

Sword lady boss whose name I have forgotten must know some secret, either that or the prince is just that good looking. I felt so bad for him at the beginning btw, he looked like he really needed a burn heal, good thing the avatar is there to cheer him up.

16 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Finally got around to reading chapter 3. Glauce is creepy, what the hell, why is she lusting after her brother? That's messed up. Interesting that you have a male pegasus knight, I guess Fates did that, but I always picture pegasi as only accepting female riders. Tito could've been a wyvern rider just as easily but it's your thing.

Sword lady boss whose name I have forgotten must know some secret, either that or the prince is just that good looking. I felt so bad for him at the beginning btw, he looked like he really needed a burn heal, good thing the avatar is there to cheer him up.

I basically wanted to see what I could do with an evil version of the "overaffectionate little sister" trope demonstrated by Clair, Lachesis, and Clarine.  Glauce is more or less Lachesis and Narcian thrown into a blender with a hint of Clair as well.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

4 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I basically wanted to see what I could do with an evil version of the "overaffectionate little sister" trope demonstrated by Clair, Lachesis, and Clarine.  Glauce is more or less Lachesis and Narcian thrown into a blender with a bit of Clair thrown in.

Ooh! She's going to be a turncoat? Nice.

2 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Ooh! She's going to be a turncoat? Nice.

Sorry, what do you mean?  Against Claudius?  Because I have no intention of making her a playable character, nasty as she is to poor Drusilla.

1 minute ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Sorry, what do you mean?  Against Claudius?  Because I have no intention of making her a playable character, nasty as she is to poor Drusilla.

Against Claudius, yeah. A boss sometime?

Just now, Dragoncat said:

Against Claudius, yeah. A boss sometime?

Exactly.  I plan to promote her to Falcon Knight and make her a mid/late-game boss.  She'll have battle conversations with...

(Story spoilers below!)

Spoiler

Drusilla, who makes it clear that she's tired of her crap and is no longer afraid of her, and Tito, who defects to Claudius and Carol's army prior when Cato begins to mysteriously turn Rema into a theocracy persecuting anyone who worships gods other than Iopter.

Just now, AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life said:

so it says drusilla has a big body what does that mean like is she tall?

Wide.  She has a less slender frame and more body mass than most Pegasus Knights.  Actually, Glauce calls Drusilla a fat slob in Drusilla's recruitment scene.  Are you reading the chapter scripts, or the map guide, or everything?

I wanted to give Drusilla a body type more like Meg from Radiant Dawn, but I don't think I pulled it off that well.  I'm not really used to drawing chubby characters, you see.

9 minutes ago, AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life said:

Cool what are the class variations for the avatar

They can pick any base class to start as except for Prince (Claudius's personal class), Lord (Carol's personal class), Priest, or Dancer.

Keep in mind that there is no reclassing, so the Avatar is stuck in whatever class line they pick at the beginning.

You can find a spreadsheet of every class I currently plan to include somewhere in the original post of the thread.

11 minutes ago, AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life said:

will this be made into a rom might be even better than staff of ages or the last promise

I have no plans to turn this into a playable hack, because the class system and other mechanics I have planned don't conform completely to that of the GBA games.  Some things like the Support and Rescue systems would need to be completely overhauled.  Plus, I designed the maps with 3D presentation in mind, which is why they don't appear to have any dimension (think Awakening and Fates's mini-maps).

Well it appears that shit is going DOWN, but Rema and Tirna can't establish a trade route? Crops in exchange for minerals or whatever? Surely that would be the more peaceful option, but FE games never take that, it seems.

Also how is an unpromoted healer a commander?

53 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Well it appears that shit is going DOWN, but Rema and Tirna can't establish a trade route? Crops in exchange for minerals or whatever? Surely that would be the more peaceful option, but FE games never take that, it seems.

Also how is an unpromoted healer a commander?

I suppose there would have already been a few trade routes established, but I also doubt these would be enough to fully compensate Rema's harvest losses.

Cato tried to ask the other kings for help prior to the start of the game, but the Tirnan and Fenizian kings were too wrapped up in their own affairs to even respond (the latter will be mentioned in the cutscene for Chapter 8).  Ferenca's king would have willingly donated supplies if Cato could just tell him how long the famine was expected to last.  Asking Xanadu for help would be completely out of the question because of how far away it is.

Furthermore, Cato still offers to pay the Tirnan king a tribute to use his land in his final attempt at talking to him, but he won't take it lest his warrior pride be damaged.  Maybe if Cato didn't have his little brother wreck the border guards' s*** things might have turned out differently.

I guess since Cato hasn't actually been on the throne too long (compared to his dead dad Tarquin, at least), he'd be inexperienced at crap like this and would inevitably make some mistakes.

EDIT: As for Chaucer, there's a bit more to him than he lets on, but you won't hear about it until later.

I see, that all makes sense.

Are all your healers going to be flirty? I noticed both Rosa and Chaucer are.

Also, I see the update, but will read it later.

Edited by Dragoncat

1 minute ago, Dragoncat said:

I see, that all makes sense.

Are all your healers going to be flirty? I noticed both Rosa and Chaucer are.

Also, I see the update, but will read it later.

Only two out of three.  Right now I intend for the last one, a pre-promoted Fire Sage, to be a pretty straightforward religious type.

I made a flirt character for both genders because I thought it might be entertaining to see how they react to each other in a Support conversation (assuming I can get around to writing those, which in all honesty probably won't happen).