Grand Hero Battle - Kana (M): Dragon Spawn (May 3rd, 2018 ~)

Coolmanio

On 10/13/2018 at 6:42 PM, RexBolt said:

For these quests just go to arena assalt. Enter a battle with only 1 lv40 units and there's good chance that a M!Kana will show up.

For clearing maps with Kana and Anna i just stuck supporting seals on them and left the job to be done by 3 party members. In my case H!Myrrh, Brave Eph and L!Tiki. Same tactic i use to run the armor quest with a lv 17 gwendolyn.

wait. so if i am reading this right. 
just stick seals on Kana/Anna and go into Arena Assault?  (I have 1 40 4* Unit. Liliana). if I read @Johann subsequent post right, i have her unequipped, and i should be okay getting kanas or something? 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

wait. so if i am reading this right. 
just stick seals on Kana/Anna and go into Arena Assault?  (I have 1 40 4* Unit. Liliana). if I read @Johann subsequent post right, i have her unequipped, and i should be okay getting kanas or something? 

Just take any 4* level 40 melee hero (not Anna or Kana), preferably infantry or flying,  who has no merges. Unequip all of their skills except their weapon. No seals. Set them on a team completely alone, and send them into Arena Assault. Check the easiest difficulty as you enter, and if necessary, back out if it looks like a bad match-up (like if they have color advantage over you). When you see a foe you think your unit can take, send them into battle. It'll be a 1 on 1 match with an equally poorly equipped enemy unit, who might not even have a weapon.

After beating that unit, you go on to the next battle. Keep selecting the easiest difficulty, and you should see Kana (sometimes without a weapon) as your enemy in some of these battles. Since the difficulty is based on that first unit you sent earlier, the enemies here will be very easy to take on, and you can send whole teams to support Anna or Kana in getting the kill.

The idea here is that Arena Assault will pick an enemy of matching strength from your naked 4* unit. A lot of people set their Arena defense team as one single Kana, level 40, with little or no skills equipped, making them easy to kill for the quest. If this is confusing, I can make a video showing how to do it.

Edited by Johann

2 minutes ago, Johann said:

Just take any 4* level 40 melee hero (not Anna or Kana), preferably infantry or flying,  who has no merges. Unequip all of their skills except their weapon. No seals. Set them on a team completely alone, and send them into AA. Check the easiest difficulty as you enter, and if necessary, back out if it looks like a bad match-up (like if they have color advantage over you). When you see a foe you think your unit can take, send them into battle. It'll be a 1 on 1 match with an equally poorly equipped enemy unit, who might not even have a weapon.

After beating that unit, you go on to the next battle. Keep selecting the easiest difficulty, and you should see Kana (sometimes without a weapon) as your enemy in some of these battles. Since the difficulty is based on that first unit you sent earlier, the enemies here will be very easy to take on, and you can send whole teams to support Anna or Kana in getting the kill.

If this is confusing, I can make a video for it.

The first part is not really needed. I just send 4* Kana or Anna or whatever unit needed alone, with all their skills and sometimes seals, on arena assalt on the fisrt battle. If M!Kana is not there on easy or not lv40 i back out, cause i lose nothing doing so. After 6 to 8 tries you can beat the quest, cause they too are often weaponless.

Just now, RexBolt said:

The first part is not really needed. I just send 4* Kana or Anna or whatever unit needed alone, with all their skills and sometimes seals, on arena assalt on the fisrt battle. If M!Kana is not there on easy or not lv40 i back out, cause i lose nothing doing so. After 6 to 8 tries you can beat the quest, cause they too are often weaponless.

Yeah that's a good point. The extra steps help if your Kana or Anna aren't even leveled up, or for some reason you're getting killed and need to bring support.

2 minutes ago, Johann said:

Yeah that's a good point. The extra steps help if your Kana or Anna aren't even leveled up, or for some reason you're getting killed and need to bring support.

I see, never tought of doing these quests without leveling the units up. I just got Kana from the GHB revival and started putting him on training towers and special training together with a healer and double dancers, got him to 40 in a two days without spending stamina potions.

7 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

I see, never tought of doing these quests without leveling the units up. I just got Kana from the GHB revival and started putting him on training towers and special training together with a healer and double dancers, got him to 40 in a two days without spending stamina potions.

This might seem unusual, but I had deliberately left some GHB units at level 1 for Arena purposes (and Combat Manual'd the spares). Any week where I can't get a win, I can use them on an outlier defense team (two super high scoring units, and two super low scoring units). This allows my brother to easily find my defense team and surrender, which scores at ~476, guaranteeing the full feather reward.

I don't mind leveling them since I can just use crystals, though it's kinda funny that I was able to get the kill with my level 1 Kana vs a level 40 Kana.

Edited by Johann

thanks you guys! I got the last Kana + the Kana orb :)
(and i managed to get armour orb too , and "Kana on my team." ) as well. :) 

this is really awesome, and I am gonna remember to do this for other quests too (but i am also going to level up my Anna (silver now, level 19). I earned a tonne of feathers this month, i might as well bite the cookie and just level up the Askr Trio for other quests. 

All this talk about AA abuse,  someone might have mentioned it allready but lvl 40 Kana can be found in chapter 8, map 4&5. You can lose units there, use light blessings and whatnot. Only downside is the stam cost.

@Hilda Impressive as always.

@mcsilas Haha! An "ana" themed clear! I would never thought of something like that. Very cute. When I heard the music I thought I was going to cringe (and yes, the Psycho Soldiers are my favorite KOF team, but I usually hate their themes) but it fit perfect actually. M!Kana's tankiness was incredible. He didn't get a single bit of healing and didn't have Aether but he tanked every hit, defense tile or no. Everything was perfect down the the exact damage at the end. It was so smooth that Nanna's presence almost felt pointless.

Second clear was similar to the first in the beginning but showed more synergy and just a bit less of Kana doing basically everything. Always nice to see you and Ginko use the Fates kids. Loved the music as well.

Male Kana though... you've renewed my interest in him. I'm tempted to build up one now. Who says he has to have DC or Lightning Breath?

@mampfoid @Alexmender @Junkhead @Rafiel's Aria @NegativeExponents- @Cute Chao @Usana @Ginko @Rezzy@LordFrigid @Glennstavos @Roflolxp54 @Quintessence @Ice Dragon @XRay @eclipse @silveraura25 @Nanima @kirauza343 @SatsumaFSoysoy @Astellius @DefaultBeep @Vaximillian @Poimagic

Spoiler

I wasn't interested in doing this with my Morgan team the first go around so I thought I'd do it now. What this map taught me is that you don't always have to start the map with a bang. What matters is that the AI does what you want it to do and Morgan manipulated them brilliantly. Amelia tanked superbly and both Morgan and Ninian got a chance to shine. Amelia naturally used her warping skills to their full extent. As much as I'd love to give her Bold or Vengeful fighter, I almost can't even imagine her without a teleport now. Priscilla's been doing a lot of heavy lifting for this team recently, so it was refreshing that she got to sit back this time and heal like an old fashioned staff user. That's about it.

Did a special clear as well. After tossing around theme ideas I eventually thought this would be a good stage to dip into FE7 units. Line up is Lyn, B!Hector, Raven and Serra cause you know me and my love of color coverage when I can get it in. If you think this is one of those maps where the OP Armor destroys everything you are sorely mistaken. While B!Hector played a crucial part he was only one portion of what made this clear work. It was really tricky figuring out how to deal with the enemies with no ranged units, particularly that green mage who could 2RKO Serra and ORKO Hector. 

Sadly there was no way to clear this map while giving screen time to everybody. I experimented a bit after clearing it but wasn't able to pull it off. Still it was a fun clear and M!Kana went down. It might even surprise you just by who. Enough chitchat.

Aaand we're done.

Edited by Zeo

@Nanima Sorry this is a bit late, but nice clear!! I love how you used the terrain to your advantage, Knishi Takumi just laughs at the rivers while the Skadi activation was perfection with enemies all lined up. Again, nice to see Fujin Yumi in the team, and I really like how bulky Skadikumi can get. Good thing Kana can't counterattack in range!

@Zeo

Looks like Amelia's signature move is a warping attack now! Love how she handled Kana no problem with her bulk. Everything just seemed to fall in place, and Wings of Mercy combos great with Morgan's high speed leaving him with enough health to warp into.

Also wow, love the ending on your FE7 clear! Nice to see OG Lyn again, although I was kind of expecting an Eliwood from your screenshot haha. Nice to see Absorb attacking and healing allies at the same time, it's actually kind of satisfying. Nice of Hector to not hog too much of the spotlight as well.

As for the 'ana' team..yeah Nanna kind of did nothing in the end, since I realised Kana wanted to be in Brazen range while Anna wants to be low health for Noatun to activate. She could be a Drive bot if I actually learned Drive Def, but Hana surprisingly had enough HP to tank an arrow. But yeah, Male Kana is really fun to use despite not being to counter at any range. Dragon shota is kind of fun to use as a defensive anchor- that Threaten Res with all those units around him was so satisfying to hear.

Kana is kind of hard to match music, too...in the end I had to go with kiddy themes like the Psycho Soldier themes. I know the past clears used Psycho Sonic Trip (KOF 99) and Will (KOF 2000) for the music. The one I used now does become catchy after a while, I didn't expect to be constantly humming that theme after the first few listens.

1 hour ago, Zeo said:

Morgan manipulated them brilliantly.

I think it was absolutely necessary to lure all those tanky units away from defensive Island, Morgan found the perfect strategy for those circumstances. 

Kana didn't stand a chance against Amelia, even with magic support by the Gronnraven mage. 

1 hour ago, Zeo said:

After tossing around theme ideas I eventually thought this would be a good stage to dip into FE7 units.

Nice theme, especially since i'm currently playing FE7. 

Hector was a great opener. First I thought: Why not bringing LA!Eliwood? But he wouldn't have killed the archer and the dragon.

Not everyone got screentime, but I like that Lyn got two kills against WTA and the boss unit among them. She is still the last GF unit I'm missing. 

Congrats, like so often very worth the watch! 

9 hours ago, mcsilas said:

Sorry this is a bit late, but nice clear!! I love how you used the terrain to your advantage, Knishi Takumi just laughs at the rivers while the Skadi activation was perfection with enemies all lined up. Again, nice to see Fujin Yumi in the team, and I really like how bulky Skadikumi can get. Good thing Kana can't counterattack in range!

No problem. I myself took my sweet time posting it. Yeah I loved how it all just worked out perfectly. Sunkumi is truly the MVP of the team, although the others are no slouches. I don't think I'll ever take Skadi off of P!Takumi either. Still, I wish I could actually use the Fuujin's refinement at some point, but it hasn't been necessary/possible. If Kana had been able to counterattack, I would have needed the combined might of a Brave Bow and Firesweep to take him down. haha;; 

@SatsumaFSoysoy It's not really so cut and dry. More often than not my Matthew team is simply the best option to clear a map. It's rare cases like Valter's GHB where I have to switch it up in order to grab the orbs and simply come back to do it with the Matthew team later. As for Morgan's team, well.. it's fun to figure out how to clear a map with restrictions. But at the very least my "special" clears allow me to mix things up as well so things don't get too boring.

@mcsilas I agree on Eliwood. It's actually why I didn't use another art that had those three, because you would have expected to see him in the clear. And honestly? Considering Raven did virtually nothing but repo in the clear, Eliwood really could have been there instead so it's a missed opportunity I have to say. Maybe next time.

And yeah I noticed about Amelia. She does that once just about every clear I think. It's funny!

@mampfoid Thanks as always! Lyn is coming back again at the end of the month. I wonder if her map will come back and I'll get the chance to go up against her with OG Lyn this time.

1 minute ago, Zeo said:

It's not really so cut and dry. More often than not my Matthew team is simply the best option to clear a map. It's rare cases like Valter's GHB where I have to switch it up in order to grab the orbs and simply come back to do it with the Matthew team later. As for Morgan's team, well.. it's fun to figure out how to clear a map with restrictions. But at the very least my "special" clears allow me to mix things up as well so things don't get too boring.

Huh, really. I guess you've spent a lot of inheritance on those four, huh?

8 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Huh, really. I guess you've spent a lot of inheritance on those four, huh?

Genny and Inigo don't have all that much SI. The crucial stuff like Miracle, TA3 and good support skills but nothing crazy. Ayra has always danced around with her C skill so she's gotten a few things, but otherwise she's vanilla. Matthew on the other hand has been given pretty obscene levels of SI. But truthfully, all he really needs is his dagger, a seal/smoke skill and a strong special to put in the work he does. All of the other stuff he's gotten has been purely out of boredom or necessity to clear specific maps.

1 minute ago, Zeo said:

Genny and Inigo don't have all that much SI. The crucial stuff like Miracle, TA3 and good support skills but nothing crazy. Ayra has always danced around with her C skill so she's gotten a few things, but otherwise she's vanilla. Matthew on the other hand has been given pretty obscene levels of SI. But truthfully, all he really needs is his dagger, a seal/smoke skill and a strong special to put in the work he does. All of the other stuff he's gotten has been purely out of boredom or necessity to clear specific maps.

I guess Matthew's "eat hits and then make things die" tactic does make him more applicable in more Hero Battles compared to Kagero, who is just an assassin. And whose Vantage no longer does anything in Abyssal...

6 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I guess Matthew's "eat hits and then make things die" tactic does make him more applicable in more Hero Battles compared to Kagero, who is just an assassin. And whose Vantage no longer does anything in Abyssal...

Admittedly he's not nearly as potent in abyssal maps either. The stats are so silly they can either rip through his defenses or get to his teammates before he can kill them. Not only that, their defenses are so bloated that even with the debuffs, his low ATK is made a lot more apparent. To the point of missing kills even with Ignis or not healing enough with Aether to sustain himself through EP.

Abyssal really is nonsense.

Edited by Zeo

15 minutes ago, Zeo said:

Admittedly he's not nearly as potent in abyssal maps either. The stats are so silly they can either rip through his defenses or get to his teammates before he can kill them. Not only that, their defenses are so bloated that even with the debuffs, his low ATK is made a lot more apparent. To the point of missing kills even with Ignis or not healing enough with Aether to sustain himself through EP.

It is quite nonsense. Poor dagger units.

4 hours ago, Zeo said:

Thanks as always! Lyn is coming back again at the end of the month. I wonder if her map will come back and I'll get the chance to go up against her with OG Lyn this time.

Chances are good for a rerun, I'm looking forward to see her again.

3 hours ago, Zeo said:

Yeah, ask me... I'm trying to quad one of the daggers in Ursula's Abyssal map. Without much support (he is far away from everything in the upper corner), no speed altering seal (needed for heavy blade) and he got no less than 49 SPD ... ouch. 

• 9 months later...

Didn't have any 3* fodder left for Lunge so I used a 4* Beruka and that might come back to haunt me down the line but what's done is done: I managed a 4* clear on this map with that SI. Not sure why but if I don't give WE!Eirika the Armored Boots, the enemy units move differently. It's probably because of the difference in her attack range once Armored Boots was active.

Spoiler

@Zeo @NegativeExponents- @SatsumaFSoysoy @Rafiel's Aria @Azuris @Ginko @mampfoid @Alexmender @Landmaster

Kana is back and I acquired some Fates beast since the last rerun, so its time to unleash the beasts agains the Dragon Spawn!

Team is neutral Selkie, +Def/-HP Velouria, +Atk +1 Shiro and +HP/-Def Rhajat

Music is Brutal Woman from Samurai Shodown 2

- Selkie is actually really against dragon units, although she had to be really careful against the archer and the green mage's Moonbow. She needed Brazen Atk/Def to survive an arrow. Just had to figure out when not to attack since I didn't want Kana to activate the Brazen + Wrath. Her cav movement was really useful in sniping him out.

- Velouria was mostly support but she also dished out damage when she needed to. She supported Shiro so he can have a quicker Ignis bomb against the red dragon. Rhajat's wolf tome felt satisfying to use against the bow knight, who can be a threat with that range.

@mcsilas The Task at Hand barracks music soothes my soul~

Really cute clear here. I don't prefer that term but the music set the tone right away. Selkie took a beating but it looked fun for her, like sport. It's utter nonsense that she was tanking greens for 0 damage on and off a defensive tile, but still satisfying right up to the straight up 100% kill on Kana. I was expecting you to bomb him with Shiro's Ignis so it was a surprise when you had him retreat. I'm used to Ginko's Shiro who generally tanks green magic like nothing. Velouria played a more passive role but she still pitched in here and there and Rhajat was mostly just there to say "lolno" to the archer.

On 8/15/2019 at 10:18 AM, mcsilas said:

Kana is back and I acquired some Fates beast since the last rerun, so its time to unleash the beasts agains the Dragon Spawn!

Team is neutral Selkie, +Def/-HP Velouria, +Atk +1 Shiro and +HP/-Def Rhajat

Music is Brutal Woman from Samurai Shodown 2

- Selkie is actually really against dragon units, although she had to be really careful against the archer and the green mage's Moonbow. She needed Brazen Atk/Def to survive an arrow. Just had to figure out when not to attack since I didn't want Kana to activate the Brazen + Wrath. Her cav movement was really useful in sniping him out.

- Velouria was mostly support but she also dished out damage when she needed to. She supported Shiro so he can have a quicker Ignis bomb against the red dragon. Rhajat's wolf tome felt satisfying to use against the bow knight, who can be a threat with that range.

Selkie’s Res is out of this world, it’s amazing that she just tanked over half of the map, including some Physical units. Velouria showed off her tankiness, as well while Rhajat got in some nice snipes and Shiro got in some kills of his own to help. Really nice work!