Why does Build not matter for FE5 magic users?

Corrobin

Why do physical attackers use Build to mitigate weapon weight, but magic users just have weight subtract directly from Speed? It makes no sense.

That was a pretty, er, interesting balancing choice.

I seem to recall people speculating that magic spells put on a mental "weight" on the user, which their physical body cannot counteract.

Otherwise, I doubt there's a real reason, unless it's hidden in a village or house conversation etc.

(Unrelated, but I'm suddenly reminded of magic dealing reduced damage in the prototype version of Blazing Blade. That was definitely not fun...)

Tome weight is based on spell complexity, not the physical weight of the book. Even if it acts that way for thieving purposes...

Might have just been a way to weaken magic users considering universal 1-2 range that targets the typically weaker defense stat is very powerful. I can totally see magic running off a different weight system than weapons.

FE5 magic is wonky in a lot of ways.. I mean with physical weapons, if you break them on enemy phase and another enemy attacks you, youll automatically equip a broken lance/etc, while magic users will automatically equip the next tome with durability since broken tomes are unequippable. (Preventing a gigantic AS and Avo penalty)

Honestly I think that the Build AS system was developed with the E and D rank weapons in mind. Magic units not having it keeps their peanlties relatively equal with infantry units at the beginning of the game. It only really breaks down with the B-A weapons giving Magic units a much worse time than their Physical counterparts lategame.

Other than Olwen and Salem, most of the magic users will double everything despite the penalty anyway. 

1 hour ago, MCProductions said:

A failed attempt to prevent mages from completely destroying the game, unfortunately, magic users still completely destroy the game because FE5 staves exist.

Also Sages(And most non-Sage magic units) run away with the game offensively. It likely was a balancing thing. Crazily enough, it arguably didn't go far enough.

Edited by Slumber

I think others scope it out. Balancing reasons to stop mages being even more useful than they are. Seriously, it's such a minor thing that they have massive speed penalties, I didn't even know they worked differently to physical units until it was pointed out recently. Not sure why they didn't just give them all rubbish Con though. I mean...they do have rubbish con most of them,  but I'm not sure why they didn't just make tomes a few points heavier and go with that system. I suppose it's pretty irrelevant over all, as someone said above, most mages double everything regardless.

Edited by Jotari

Enemy growth is so bad and reliant on unpredictable variables that only a scant few enemies will reliably reach the benchmarks needed to give a trained Sage a hard time. Those scant few can be singled out as targets for the game's other mechanics (critical hits, status staffs, stacking Hit/Avoid buffs...)

tbh, the main reason why Magic outshines Physical units so much is the insane Terrian bonuses.

Like holy

10 Def fort/Thrones, really? However infront of Magic that doesn't matter

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

tbh, the main reason why Magic outshines Physical units so much is the insane Terrian bonuses.

Like holy

10 Def fort/Thrones, really? However infront of Magic that doesn't matter

Holy Water/Barrier and the late game magic tiles are also pretty amazing