New Legendary Hero: Lyn, Lady of the Wind

Poimagic

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, Clogon said:

If she was a normal unit without Law of Sacae, I would totally Whale for her. But as is, she isn't befitting of the Legendary status. Ice Mirror, Chilling Seal, Radiant Aether, Solar Brace and Dragon Skin are all really good unique skills. Lyn's new skill barely giver her better match ups than Fury. The skill force specific positioning and playstyle with little benefit. Most people will replace Law of Sacae due to its mediocrity.

It is very difficult not to compare her to Brave Lyn. The 1 BST less can be fixed with either -ATK/SPD and +HP (for Arena Score). Even at -ATK, Brave Lyn only sacrifices 1 ATK and 1 SPD to neutral Legendary Lyn for 1 extra movement while being able to have a Blessing (for extra stats...) and 1 more MOV. Heck, Mulagir (which I think this weapon is the better mage killer) will probably be able to upgrade to the Swift version.

Edit:

To be clear, my grip with her is that she is a hard to get Legendary Hero but doesn't have the specialty to back it up since Law of Sacae is so lack luster.

Solar Brace and Radiant Aether aren't that excellent either, they are certainly useful, but LoS is quite more practical. 

As for Brave Lyn there is no even point compare two. BL is player phase, where LL is enemy phase instead. Brave also can't use SM without sacrifing her mobility (standard Mulagir is better for her). As for BST it's nice there is no big difference and that BL can get blessing, but. . who do you think will give her one? In Arena you would obviously prefer Lyn over Gunnthra, because above giving stat boost others Lyn already has better BST herself. 

Edited by Tenzen12

1 hour ago, Clogon said:

If she was a normal unit without Law of Sacae, I would totally Whale for her.

I do not see how having Laws of Sacae is worse than not having an A skill at all.

1 hour ago, Clogon said:

Ice Mirror

Ice Mirror is pretty lackluster as a Special, as it is useless against half the cast who are melee. Fjorm is better off running Moonbow-Fury or Ignis/Glacies-Steady/Warding Breath to get a higher kill count.

1 hour ago, Clogon said:

Lyn's new skill barely giver her better match ups than Fury. The skill force specific positioning and playstyle with little benefit. Most people will replace Law of Sacae due to its mediocrity.

1 hour ago, Clogon said:

To be clear, my grip with her is that she is a hard to get Legendary Hero but doesn't have the specialty to back it up since Law of Sacae is so lack luster.

Laws of Sacae's stat increase is pretty significant compared to Fury, as that 1 extra Spd can prevent units from doubling her. Most Enemy Phase units also already fight close to their allies for buff support, so having more allies than enemies within 2 spaces is a very light penalty.

If you are using LOTW!Lyn as a mage counter as the developers intended, there is no reason to switch it out for Fury. Saying Laws of Sacae is bad because it forces a specific play style is no different from saying Warding Breath or Swift Sparrow is bad because those skills also force a specific play style.

1 hour ago, Clogon said:

It is very difficult not to compare her to Brave Lyn. The 1 BST less can be fixed with either -ATK/SPD and +HP (for Arena Score). Even at -ATK, Brave Lyn only sacrifices 1 ATK and 1 SPD to neutral Legendary Lyn for 1 extra movement while being able to have a Blessing (for extra stats...) and 1 more MOV. Heck, Mulagir (which I think this weapon is the better mage killer) will probably be able to upgrade to the Swift version.

BH!Lyn is a nuke, while LOTW!Lyn is a mage counter. Stats are not everything. Color and exclusive skills also matter.

Colorless is the best color for a nuke since they cannot be cockblocked by the triangle, while red/blue/green are better for tanks as they can utilize the triangle.

Edited by XRay

6 minutes ago, XRay said:

red/blue/green are better for tanks as they can utilize the triangle.

I'd actually argue that they're generally better because they tend to get better skill selections and countering abilities-- no colorless can use Breath skills, for instance. Stacking Def or Res on a colorless unit is a pretty fun way to handle an entire group of weapons, like Felicia tanking mages (including Raven tomes).

@XRay Considering I am building a DD6-9 Guard Bow+ Faye (+DEF/-SPD) and potentially may end up with a ToD!Jakob, Green EP Archer honestly isn't that appealing as a unit, I'm pulling because it's Lyn, biased as that may be. I'm 90% sure Faye will be able to do her job just as well if not better.

also @mampfoid @mcsilas @Rafiel's Aria @NegativeExponents- Is it bad that I'm more excited for L!Lyn's map than the unit herself? I'm really excited to tackle it with my team and I already have in my head what music I want to use for the clear. 

27 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

Solar Brace and Radiant Aether aren't that excellent either, they are certainly useful, but LoS is quite more practical. 

As for Brave Lyn there is no even point compare two. BL is player phase, where LL is enemy phase instead. Brave also can't use SM without sacrifing her mobility (standard Mulagir is better for her). As for BST it's nice there is no big difference and that BL can get blessing, but. . who do you think will give her one? In Arena you would obviously prefer Lyn over Gunnthra, because above giving stat boost others Lyn already has better BST herself. 

LoS isn't more Practical than Radiant Aether, which activates every EP battle thanks to Warding Breath while being a 500 SP skill. Again, Fury is more practical than LoS.

Brave Lyn isn't just Player phase. She is very strong during player phase yes but Mulgir and her stats allow her to tank mages (same EHP as Legendary Lyn) while still being a deadly mage killer in PP. SM on her is just as good as SM on Legendary Lyn if not better due to her already having higher ATK with only 1 SPD less. You require the same amount of effort to use it on both Lyn's.

Legendary Lyn only has 2 BST more than her Brave variant (+1 Def and 1 SPD). The latter as you said could be paired with Gunnthra to be a better mage killer or mixed in with F!Robin for better Player Phase (repositioning over tress and other obstacles is another plus).

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

BH!Lyn is a nuke, while LOTW!Lyn is a mage counter. Stats are not everything. Color and exclusive skills also matter.

Brave Lyn can tank mages of all 3 colours as she basically has the same EHP against magic as Legendary Lyn. Yes the later can tank Rein better but Brave can survive Rein when built as a mage killer while also counter Bold Fighter W!Tharja (the most common mage in +10 Whale land). The fact that Brave Lyn can run Mulagir and Guard means she can cancel buffs and prevent Specials from the fighter skills. Legendary Lyn sacrifices a lot of stats to acheive this combo using Gratia+. I hope IS releases Guard Seal fast! Being colourless cavalry means she is weak vs counterable builds instead of uncounterable colour. Their mage tanking overall is quite similar but Brave Lyn as a mage tank is more valuable in whale land (I face at least 2-3 W!Tharja per arena run).

26 minutes ago, XRay said:

Laws of Sacae's stat increase is pretty significant compared to Fury, as that 1 extra Spd can prevent units from doubling her.

She has 36 base SPD nothing with equal investment (whale land) will have 5 more SPD than her, especially since we easily use drives and spurs. Actually, I am wrong. Non-Legendary Heroes have access to +SPD blessings, up to +9 SPD! Luckily, not many people use 3 +10 Fjorm or F!Robins in their team.

27 minutes ago, XRay said:

I do not see how having Laws of Sacae is worse than not having an A skill at all.

You seem to misunderstand the "I would Whale for her". I am being quite literal with this statement. A Legendary Hero means she is MUCH more expensive to +10. Laws of Sacae is not worth the extra cost of hundreds of dollars. Will I still get 1 copy of her? Most definitely.

Off Topic:

I actually love Fjorm with Ice Mirror + Life and Death as an anti range EP unit. I have enough multi purpose heroes. QR seal is the best thing to happen to Fjorm.

4 minutes ago, Zeo said:

@XRay Considering I am building a DD6-9 Guard Bow+ Faye (+DEF/-SPD) and potentially may end up with a ToD!Jakob, Green EP Archer honestly isn't that appealing as a unit, I'm pulling because it's Lyn, biased as that may be. I'm 90% sure Faye will be able to do her job just as well if not better.

also @mampfoid @mcsilas @Rafiel's Aria @NegativeExponents- Is it bad that I'm more excited for L!Lyn's map than the unit herself? I'm really excited to tackle it with my team and I already have in my head what music I want to use for the clear. 

That's when you know you're addicted. XD I just want the orbs.

I kind of want to start trying to do Lucius clears again. I think I managed one once upon a time, but now that I've almost got his perfect endgame build, I wanna try again.

13 minutes ago, Zeo said:

Nope, I feel the same. Not only because I'm out of orbs.  

@Zeo I mean not really. At least I don’t think so. After all what’s the point of just having a unit but nowhere to use them in? It’s all about the blood and the sweat and the adrenaline of the task ahead.

I actually forgot Lyn was getting a map. All I was thinking about was Kana and his GHB. I’m so hyped for Lyn’s map now that I remember. Especially if it lives up to be anywhere near as challenging as the F!Grima one. I think I might do an Elibe lord trio clear ft. Florina. I’m getting excited just thinking about it!

1 hour ago, Johann said:

no colorless can use Breath skills, for instance.

That's not exactly a property of colorless so much as it is a limitation of the units we've so far been given. If we ever get a colorless infantry or armor breath unit, they'd have the same access to Steady Breath and Warding Breath.

1 hour ago, Johann said:

Stacking Def or Res on a colorless unit is a pretty fun way to handle an entire group of weapons, like Felicia tanking mages (including Raven tomes).

You can say that about colored units, too, and they can do a similar job with less of the stat if you ignore the color they are weak to. Lukas can stop all swords and lances and most axes without any trouble at all, and you can sacrifice some Def and counter kill performance to take down bows.

7 minutes ago, Clogon said:

Bold Fighter W!Tharja (the most common mage in +10 Whale land)

I certainly haven't been keeping tally, but I'm pretty sure I see more Tharjas with Vengeful Fighter than Bold Fighter for whatever reason (people must be skimping on the Hardin sniping).

11 minutes ago, Clogon said:

The fact that Brave Lyn can run Mulagir and Guard means she can cancel buffs and prevent Specials from the fighter skills.

15 minutes ago, Clogon said:

Their mage tanking overall is quite similar but Brave Lyn as a mage tank is more valuable in whale land (I face at least 2-3 W!Tharja per arena run).

Sacae's Blessing is far more useful than Guard on Lyn.

Two or three Tharjas per set is nowhere near close to the 15-20 non-dragon Distant Counter armors you're expected to see per set.

Also, I have yet to see a Tharja run anything other than Aether, and Aether cannot activate in one round of combat (and Vantage is non-existent on armors in whale-land).

9 minutes ago, Clogon said:

You seem to misunderstand the "I would Whale for her".

No, @XRay misunderstood the "normal unit", which is pretty damned ambiguous what it could mean (i.e. in context, I also interpreted it as "without unique passive skills").

And the map has dropped but I just got busy so I can't clear it now. Officially avoiding this forum for some hours (and possibly will sleep after) as I don't want to be spoiled until I have my own experience.

I'll be back later. Good luck to you guys on the pulls and clearing the map.

Going by the return dates of the characters, our next Legendary is red (filling in for Ike), and then it would seem we'll be getting another green, unless they just give us 2 more months of Gunnthra before we see Lyn again. Seems consistent across languages, or at least in French.

This banner is being a spiteful sunnuvvabich... but I'll at least appreciate the merge levels.

Second pull is Lyn... but is [+Def, -Spd].

Third pull is Jakob... but is [+Spd, -Def].

Fifth pull is Genny... and is also [+Spd, -Def].

And now I'm out of box space again.

I managed a +Spd Lyn on my free summon and I beat every difficulty on the legendary map on the first attempt. Robin's map was much harder in my opinion as Vanguard Ike kills so much on this map. As for Lyn I really don't know what to do with her because I also really want speed tactic for my Tactics team. 

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

This banner is being a spiteful sunnuvvabich... but I'll at least appreciate the merge levels.

Second pull is Lyn... but is [+Def, -Spd].

Third pull is Jakob... but is [+Spd, -Def].

Fifth pull is Genny... and is also [+Spd, -Def].

And now I'm out of box space again.

It started horrible for me too with the game refusing to give any green or blue orbs for quite some time. After a lot more orbs then I epected my luck did turn around with. Grima, Micaiah, Inigo and Shigure which is nice. All units I did't have before, but Grima, Inigo and Shigure are -speed which is less nice.

3 hours ago, Clogon said:

LoS isn't more Practical than Radiant Aether, which activates every EP battle thanks to Warding Breath while being a 500 SP skill. Again, Fury is more practical than LoS.

Brave Lyn isn't just Player phase. She is very strong during player phase yes but Mulgir and her stats allow her to tank mages (same EHP as Legendary Lyn) while still being a deadly mage killer in PP. SM on her is just as good as SM on Legendary Lyn if not better due to her already having higher ATK with only 1 SPD less. You require the same amount of effort to use it on both Lyn's.

Legendary Lyn only has 2 BST more than her Brave variant (+1 Def and 1 SPD). The latter as you said could be paired with Gunnthra to be a better mage killer or mixed in with F!Robin for better Player Phase (repositioning over tress and other obstacles is another plus).

Brave Lyn can tank mages of all 3 colours as she basically has the same EHP against magic as Legendary Lyn. Yes the later can tank Rein better but Brave can survive Rein when built as a mage killer while also counter Bold Fighter W!Tharja (the most common mage in +10 Whale land). The fact that Brave Lyn can run Mulagir and Guard means she can cancel buffs and prevent Specials from the fighter skills. Legendary Lyn sacrifices a lot of stats to acheive this combo using Gratia+. I hope IS releases Guard Seal fast! Being colourless cavalry means she is weak vs counterable builds instead of uncounterable colour. Their mage tanking overall is quite similar but Brave Lyn as a mage tank is more valuable in whale land (I face at least 2-3 W!Tharja per arena run).

She has 36 base SPD nothing with equal investment (whale land) will have 5 more SPD than her, especially since we easily use drives and spurs. Actually, I am wrong. Non-Legendary Heroes have access to +SPD blessings, up to +9 SPD! Luckily, not many people use 3 +10 Fjorm or F!Robins in their team.

Even with warding breath RA doesn't get triggered every EP battle, even if you run QR3 on him. Well especially these where he dies to Blue, Red mages and Nino, even with DD seal he is not really good mage counter. Effie and other Bulky blue, of course would have field trip with him as well. Yes it's handy but LoS allows Lyn counter even  Celica, strongest red mage in game (well maybe along with W!Tharja). 

As for Brave Lyn, yes she can be more or less good mage counter... if you give up on her being extremely good sweeper.  That's simply stupid. Legendary  get 9/9/4/7 buff with SM, Brave would get 5/5/0/3 and sacrifice her mobility and advantage over DC enemies, so yeah saying both can use it same equally is BS. 

Yeah, while Lyn isn't a high priority as a standalone unit, I'd like to have her so that my Wind team isn't constrained to just running Gunnthra with cavalry and so I can start handing out more Wind blessings. Disappointing to see that she won't even be back for three months.

Next month's (or rather, the late May) legendary banner is starting to look unappealing to me, especially if the new red Legendary is just another sword. I want another Ephraim more than another Fjorm, I want Lyn more than another Gunnthra, and the seasonals will possibly be the Christmas armours, of which only Tharja fills a meaningful niche. Maybe they'll have some NY units mixed in at least. Chronologically we have the following units 'due':

Red has Winter Tharja, NY Camilla, Horse Chrom, Sword Reinhardt.

Blue has Winter Robin, Valentine's Lyn, Hardin and F Morgan.

Green has Winter Chrom, Winter Lissa, Rhajat (might not be desirable enough), Myrrh. Airzura a possible substitute.

Grey has Mist (probably to be skipped forever), Bow Hinoka, NY Takumi and Bow Roy.

On 4/27/2018 at 9:13 AM, Usana said:

However, since I don't much care for her who wants to bet Lyn stalks me to my bank account's grave?

34Jq6Bz.png

Did I just jinx myself? She is +RES/-SPD which isn't exactly great. Anyways the rest of my haul wasn't bad. 120-ish orbs got me her. Henry(also -SPD) and Jakob(also also -SPD). Wait a second. All three were negative speed?! Well at least Jakob likes being -SPD. He was one of the ones I most wanted and he has a rather nifty boon/bane. I probably should have stopped pulling on green after I got Lyn. But I was doing full pulls and I figured more Speed Tactic wouldn't be unwelcome. Though I suppose March isn't a bad consolation prize.

Well I managed to get everyone I wanted with decent IVs to boot.  Now I finally have H!Jakob and a legendary hero for every blessing.  L!Lyn is actually pretty good, but I won't be replacing Innes or B!Cordelia with her any time soon.  Now to train up all my shiny new 5*s.