New Legendary Hero: Lyn, Lady of the Wind

Poimagic

140 orbs on my second account just for an Evil Celica (who came with the literal last summon of that batch of 140) is a bit of a reminder about how relatively good I've had it on my main account. Certainly puts a bit of perspective on it when I'm thinking of being salty about what I get there. Still have 160 orbs on the second account (which also still has a three-digit amount of orbs to get from story maps) but I'll wait for another day to use them as to not tempt fate.

Kinda wishing I didn't do that double promotion of Soren and Lukas a couple weeks ago. They're decent utility units and all, but now I need feathers for Morgan, Kana, Caeda and Raudrblade+ for Eirika, all of which would be higher priority than the former two, and from which I only choose one right now.

Edited by Humanoid

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hauled in Halloween Henry, Performing Inigo, Legendary Lyn, and Legendary Ephraim on this banner. Alas, the hot one is -Spd/+Res. Gonna have to be creative a bit to make her useful. My feather factory in Arena Assault is always being stymied by Brave Lyn and Reinhardt since Tier 18 and 19 still have a lot of them, so all these greens are going to be built up to focus on that. Ephraim was on my last roll before running out of orbs. The prior set had no blues, but then the game gave me ALL BLUES when I only had 16 orbs left. Ephraim is +HP/-Res.

Well, blew 200 orbs but got a bunch of 5*s.

Lyn - +atk/-spd. Not real thrilled and blew the latter half of that 200 on trying to get a better nature, but all things considered, I still got her. Had been saving a Subaki for Bartre when I finally got to building him, but I think I'm going to give Lyn QR instead. I figure 42 speed should be enough to avoid a fair amount of doubles (+SPD L&D Celica misses a double by exactly one point), but she'll probably have some trouble doubling faster mages (AKA all of them) on her own.

Inigo x3 - One is +atk/-res and I believe the other two are +def/-spd. So really, my question is is Inigo ever bulky enough to work as a Reinhardt/Lyn counter or should I go with the +atk one and have a decent but not great mage? Shigure has been pretty solid doing basically the same thing so I wouldn't be opposed to that.

Henry - +res/-def. Armor march for Zelgius as I'm not trading +spd/-HP for that.

Eirika - Don't remember IVs, but she's worse than my current one so she'll be SS fodder for probably Celica.

Ephraim - +res/-def. Didn't exactly want him, and his IVs aren't great, but now I have one of every legendary hero so cool.

Going to pull with whatever remaining orbs I get to see if I can get a Grima or a better Lyn. Greens were annoyingly scarce for the first several summons, but now things are more even. All in all, though, quite happy with this even if I'm broke for that next new character banner.

Edited by bottlegnomes

20 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I certainly haven't been keeping tally, but I'm pretty sure I see more Tharjas with Vengeful Fighter than Bold Fighter for whatever reason (people must be skimping on the Hardin sniping).

Yeah. Recently, Vengeful Fighter is more common. Which is very weird since almost everyone else has Bold fighter and Tharja is amazing with it...

20 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Sacae's Blessing is far more useful than Guard on Lyn.

This is comparing Mage Killer Legendary Lyn to Mage Killer Brave Lyn.

16 hours ago, Tenzen12 said:

Even with warding breath RA doesn't get triggered every EP battle, even if you run QR3 on him. Well especially these where he dies to Blue, Red mages and Nino, even with DD seal he is not really good mage counter. Effie and other Bulky blue, of course would have field trip with him as well. Yes it's handy but LoS allows Lyn counter even  Celica, strongest red mage in game (well maybe along with W!Tharja). 

As for Brave Lyn, yes she can be more or less good mage counter... if you give up on her being extremely good sweeper.  That's simply stupid. Legendary  get 9/9/4/7 buff with SM, Brave would get 5/5/0/3 and sacrifice her mobility and advantage over DC enemies, so yeah saying both can use it same equally is BS. 

A Blue unit killing a Red is normal. A Mage killing something with low Res is also normal (besides Blade tomes are easily countered by Dull Range). Are you really going to run Shield Pulse with a defensive special instead of Radiant Aether? Heck what special will you give him instead that will allow him to beat his counters and kill everything in the game? None of your points suggest that Radiant Aether isn't the prefered Special on him or that it is bad.

Just because a unit is GREAT at something doesn't mean it can't be good at something else. Player Phase Brave Lyn being a great unit has nothing to do with Mage Killer Brave Lyn being of equal if not better than Mage Killer Legendary Lyn. Your points add nothing to the comparison of these 2 units and the builds they have access to. If I choose to run a team of 4 Brave Lyns, it is uterly stupid to make all of them the same and be countered by a single unit.

Edit:

Also your 9/9/4/7 includes an A skill. Give Brave Lyn an A skill like Fury and she will get 8/8/3/6 on BOTH phases instead of just EP. She already has more ATK and RES than Legendary Lyn. Losing out on only 2 SPD and 1 HP (Def doesn't matter) VS LoS Legendary Lyn on EP. Again she also has access to Blessings which allows her to easily cover the stat deficiency.

Edited by Clogon

I got really lucky and pulled Lyn relatively quickly along with a second Legendary Ephraim and my first dancer Inigo! Unfortunately my Lyn is -atk though she does have +spd. Hopefully I can pull one with a better nature but if not I'm just happy to have gotten her!

3 hours ago, Clogon said:

Yeah. Recently, Vengeful Fighter is more common. Which is very weird since almost everyone else has Bold fighter and Tharja is amazing with it...

A Blue unit killing a Red is normal. A Mage killing something with low Res is also normal (besides Blade tomes are easily countered by Dull Range). Are you really going to run Shield Pulse with a defensive special instead of Radiant Aether? Heck what special will you give him instead that will allow him to beat his counters and kill everything in the game? None of your points suggest that Radiant Aether isn't the prefered Special on him or that it is bad.

Just because a unit is GREAT at something doesn't mean it can't be good at something else. Player Phase Brave Lyn being a great unit has nothing to do with Mage Killer Brave Lyn being of equal if not better than Mage Killer Legendary Lyn. Your points add nothing to the comparison of these 2 units and the builds they have access to. If I choose to run a team of 4 Brave Lyns, it is uterly stupid to make all of them the same and be countered by a single unit.

Edit:

Also your 9/9/4/7 includes an A skill. Give Brave Lyn an A skill like Fury and she will get 8/8/3/6 on BOTH phases instead of just EP. She already has more ATK and RES than Legendary Lyn. Losing out on only 2 SPD and 1 HP (Def doesn't matter) VS LoS Legendary Lyn on EP. Again she also has access to Blessings which allows her to easily cover the stat deficiency.

There is no point building Mage killer Brave Lyn if it means throw away practically everything good she  already has just to make her average. Yes if you run four BLyns then it would make sense, but that also means two of them would run sub obtimally and team would do better if replaced with units that are great in their Niche anyway . 

Swift Mulagir assume you stick with your allies (which is already waste of her mobility). But as long as you do stick to your allies to get bonus of SMulagir, LoS is objectively superior to Fury, which gives less stats and come with demerit.l. BL fall against Raven users, which are used often and can't deal with Celica either. LL has no such limitation and can well counter even phisical projectiles on top of that.

As for Ike, if you don't want him fight mages, you should make use steady breath instead. And for blues sure it's normal to get pawned by WTA, but it's you who said RA is superior to LoS. Later allows against colour type so it makes sense mention Ike can't anyway. 

Edited by Tenzen12

4 hours ago, Clogon said:

What I'm mostly saying is that mage killing is not a job Brave Lyn needs to have at the top of the Arena due to the fact that there are far more not-Tharjas than Tharjas. Sacae's Blessing gives Brave Lyn a job that is in greater demand.

5 hours ago, Clogon said:

Again she also has access to Blessings which allows her to easily cover the stat deficiency.

Blessings are only active one third of the time unless you are constantly switching your blessing around. That's obviously better than being active none of the time, but it's not often enough to actually be reliable.

On 5/1/2018 at 3:54 PM, bottlegnomes said:

Inigo x3 - One is +atk/-res and I believe the other two are +def/-spd. So really, my question is is Inigo ever bulky enough to work as a Reinhardt/Lyn counter or should I go with the +atk one and have a decent but not great mage? Shigure has been pretty solid doing basically the same thing so I wouldn't be opposed to that.

Inigo can’t afford to lose any of his bulk. As a Reinhardt/BLyn counter, he really doesn’t need the speed and even so, a -spd Inigo will still double the average Reinhardt. If you really want to build him as a Renhardt/BLyn counter, he’ll need Gronnraven+, TA 3 and Bowbreaker 3 (to take care of BLyn). 

Edited by Lord-Zero

I feel kind of stupid not realizing that Lyn was a green unit and not a colorless one. Used over 140 orbs trying to get her via colorless . . . well, and I didn't even get any five-stars actually. Still trying . . .

Pulled a +Def/-HP Legend Lyn and 3 Halloween Henry's from the banner. Spent most of my remaining orbs on the Combat Boosts banner to get a Brave Lyn, an Ayra, and a pitybreaker Elise.

I am tempted to quote myself again. Guess who got another Lyn? She is again -SPD. Can someone tell the Gacha Gods that if they are going to have a unit stalk me could the unit at least have different banes? We aren't on speaking terms anymore so I can't tell them myself. Pretty sure they blocked me on facebook too.

42 minutes ago, Usana said:

I am tempted to quote myself again. Guess who got another Lyn? She is again -SPD. Can someone tell the Gacha Gods that if they are going to have a unit stalk me could the unit at least have different banes? We aren't on speaking terms anymore so I can't tell them myself. Pretty sure they blocked me on facebook too.

Try pretending really, really hard that Lyn is the unit you want most of all. If you manage to convince even yourself (to the point you're temporarily disappointed when you see someone who isn't her), you're bound to pull someone else :D

I can try and tell the Gacha Gods... they've been so nice to me until this latest legendary banner, where they made me work for it v.v

On 5/3/2018 at 8:17 AM, Usana said:

Can someone tell the Gacha Gods that if they are going to have a unit stalk me could the unit at least have different banes?

It could be worse. You could have gotten three copies of Gunnthra with the exact same bane and boon (considering I've only ever gotten five copies of Gunnthra, three identical copies is a lot even for me).

Was bored and curious so I was looking at builds, but I'm surprised at how many places are suggesting building Lyn as just yet another BB/FS archer. Her stats are decent, but they're hardly ideal for that type of build. Also, can someone explain to me why you'd ever use Swift Sparrow over L&D for a firesweep build? You shouldn't ever be getting attacked so what's the point of maintaining defensive stats? Her neutral res isn't especially great for ploys either so I can't imagine that's a concern.

33 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

Was bored and curious so I was looking at builds, but I'm surprised at how many places are suggesting building Lyn as just yet another BB/FS archer. Her stats are decent, but they're hardly ideal for that type of build.

Because Brave Bow+ and Firesweep Bow+ work on any bow user with good offensive stats. Other characters being able to do the build better doesn't make her any worse at it.

35 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

Also, can someone explain to me why you'd ever use Swift Sparrow over L&D for a firesweep build?

It makes you less likely to be hit by Chill Atk or Chill Spd.

15 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Because Brave Bow+ and Firesweep Bow+ work on any bow user with good offensive stats. Other characters being able to do the build better doesn't make her any worse at it.

"Just" as in those're the only builds it seems like they really consider. No, she's not bad at them, but it seems like people have tunnel vision.

15 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

It makes you less likely to be hit by Chill Atk or Chill Spd.

Ahhh, that makes a lot of sense.

18 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

"Just" as in those're the only builds it seems like they really consider. No, she's not bad at them, but it seems like people have tunnel vision.

This is what happens when people lack creativity.

4 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

4 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

This is what happens when people lack creativity.

I do not see tunnel vision or a lack of creativity being a problem. Cookie cutter builds are efficient and easy to use.

Unless we actually have something better to share, complaining about other people not spreading enough variety of builds is a bit hypocritical.

Sure, the authors can also list stuff like Clarise's Bow-Windsweep/Watersweep and Close Counter-Quick Riposte, but those are also cookie cutter builds and most players are not going to seriously give her those builds.

Thing is there is enough sweepers already. Brave Lyn for one is free. Klein  is 4 star  (or  3star already?) and Takumi who will also be free. that's why it's waste stuff unit with useful niche into role everyone already has filled by number of units.

Edited by Tenzen12

15 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

Thing is there is enough sweepers already. Brave Lyn for one is free. Klein  is 4 star  (or  3star already?) and Takumi who will also be free. that's why it's waste unit with useful niche into role everyone already has filled by number of units.

What better idea can you offer though? If you cannot offer anything better than what others have, then complaining about others not having more ideas does nothing to address the status quo. Gamepress is missing her Enemy Phase build, but I think people will get to that eventually. The wiki got both Player Phase and Enemy Phase builds up, so I do not see what the issue is.

Better Idea? Give her Vantage/guard/chill attack. or even renewal, put DD seal, team her with Marth and Hinoka and use her for what she is, great EP unit.

You don't need that much imagination to figure that much.

Edited by Tenzen12

45 minutes ago, XRay said:

I do not see tunnel vision or a lack of creativity being a problem. Cookie cutter builds are efficient and easy to use.

Unless we actually have something better to share, complaining about other people not spreading enough variety of builds is a bit hypocritical.

Sure, the authors can also list stuff like Clarise's Bow-Windsweep/Watersweep and Close Counter-Quick Riposte, but those are also cookie cutter builds and most players are not going to seriously give her those builds.

I agree that popular builds are popular for a reason, but as people have pointed out, she can be a very solid EP or mixed phase unit. Two of Vantage/Dull Ranged/DD/QR make a very solid combo on her, and she can still have decent enough PP. My point was more it seems like a waste to just focus in on the popular builds instead of exploring the alternatives that make her more unique. Sure, in some cases, they might just be worse, but from what I've seen and checked out, in Lyn's case, they're about equal, just different roles.

EDIT: Missed your second post. Last I'd checked, the wiki didn't have her EP or mixed phase (basically swap LoS for Fury) builds up which is part of what'd prompted me to make the comment.

Edited by bottlegnomes

2 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

I agree that popular builds are popular for a reason, but as people have pointed out, she can be a very solid EP or mixed phase unit. Two of Dull Ranged/DD/QR make a very solid combo on her, and she can still have decent enough PP. My point was more it seems like a waste to just focus in on the popular builds instead of exploring the alternatives that make her more unique. Sure, in some cases, they might just be worse, but from what I've seen and checked out, in Lyn's case, they're about equal, just different roles.

The wiki already has her Enemy Phase build up. Gamepedia does not yet, but I think they will get around to it eventually. She has only been released a few days ago and expecting them to have all the builds up is a bit unrealistic.

31 minutes ago, XRay said:

The wiki already has her Enemy Phase build up. Gamepedia does not yet, but I think they will get around to it eventually. She has only been released a few days ago and expecting them to have all the builds up is a bit unrealistic.

It wasn't so much that I expect everyone to have every build up already. It was more that when I had looked the wiki didn't, granted that was a day or two ago, and of the youtube videos I watched out of boredom/curiosity, exactly one suggested something aside from the usual suspects. Which again, she's not bad at, but it seems like it's a little surface level to just tell people to give her the same build as everyone else without really digging in further to see what alternatives could exist. Maybe I'm just expecting things to move too quickly.