Input needed for ambitious fan game

ivanbomb15

So I have little programming and coding knowledge but ive always been willing to learn and teach myself many things, like I taught myself art.

But I have a super ambitious project that I will go through any hoop to create.

I want to make a single player fan game with an original story that mashes up all the stories throughout the series.

The main character will likely be an OC. but the most ambitious part is I want to make a system that allows you to get most heroes throughout the series.

Sounds impossible I know, but im willing to dedicate all my free time to this. My question to you guys is a simple one.

What programs should I do this in, the gameplay doesn't even need to be like fire emblem, but just have fire emblem skinned over it.

and if anyone is willing to help me with this who has more knowledge Id love it.

Ive wanted something like this for a long time but it doesent exist, and if no one else does it, I want to do it myself.

Any suggestions please.

(PS I have played every game in the series and know the stories all fairly well)

Thanks guys! 

"What programs should I do this in, the gameplay doesn't even need to be like fire emblem, but just have fire emblem skinned over it. "

This is a bit vague...its really up to you. Since it is a fan game, you might as well just make it a romhack over a gba rom. I know people separate romhacks from fangames, but a romhack is technically a fan game too...

In terms of programs, FEBuilderGBA is more noob-friendly when it comes to romhacking. 

In terms of other styles of games that you would want to reskin, I can't help you there. 

"Sounds impossible"

Nothing is impossible, they just take time. A lot of time. Look at Road to Ruin. Look at Last Promise, Fe7x, Staff Of Ages, etc. All those ideas aren't impossible to implement, they take time, motivation, and resolve. You want to devote all your free time to this? Go for it, but I just want you to know what you're getting into, it could be a few years before you complete it. 

"original story that mashes up all the stories throughout the series. "

Ok...What's your baseline for the story? How are you going to make it so that it makes sense? Plan it out before you actually start to implement your ideas. 

Arch explains this in more detail here----> 

My advice would be to take things slowly and don't rush. This applies to most big projects.

What you can do is routinely brainstorm ideas and experiment with various engines until you can focus your project. Ideally, you should have a clear vision of what your project will become. Then do your best to work towards that vision. If you don't have a clear idea at the beginning, that's totally fine!

As for more specific advice, I think one of the most important steps is to choose a genre as early as possible. Do you want a strategy RPG just like Fire Emblem or perhaps a traditional RPG where you wander around towns and dungeons? Or maybe even just a visual novel or point and click adventure game?

Also, try not to feel too unmotivated when things don't seem easy. After all, you're probably just one person and probably an amateur (versus, say, a group of professional game makers).

12 hours ago, ivanbomb15 said:

I want to make a single player fan game with an original story that mashes up all the stories throughout the series.

The main character will likely be an OC. but the most ambitious part is I want to make a system that allows you to get most heroes throughout the series.

Far from impossible - I've been writing such a story myself for some time now. First things first, you want to know the outline of what you want long before you get into any coding. What's the order in which you would like to recruit the Heroes you have planned? Will you be creating a single world a la Warriors, all the worlds connected to a central world like Heroes and Cipher, or will you be jumping directly from FE world to FE world through in-world devices such as the Dragon's Gate, the path I chose for my writing? If you're making an OC Lord, you should also get them fleshed out so you get an idea of the kind of interactions you'll need said OC to have with the various characters in order to recruit them - a conversation to recruit Tharja, for example, would be very different from a conversation to recruit Forsythe or Forde. Also, yes, expect this to take quite some time to complete - I've been working on my Fire Emblem writing since the Serenes Forest Scribbles like two years ago, and I'm still not nearly as far as I'd like to be.

Glad to help! So you're going to go for an open-world action dungeon crawler? That could be very interesting, with such possibilities as individual Heroes being found in specific dungeons, perhaps with each dungeon having a theme of some sort - A dungeon where you find Celica and Eirika, crawling with Terrors, versus Alm and Ephraim's dungeon, loaded with soldiers from various armies, for example. I'm afraid I can't answer the RPG Maker question as I haven't touched anything of the sort and aren't sure I want to until I get the basics finished in writing, sorry.