General Music Thread

indigoasis

On 5/11/2018 at 9:31 AM, Hawkwing said:

Eric Whitacre is an extremely good composer, and I definitely suggest checking him out. Search for "Sleep" or "October".

Oh man I was not expecting to see one of my favorite composers mentioned in this thread. I've had the pleasure of hearing Lux Aurumque and Nox Aurumque live and it was one of the most goosebump inducing experiences I've ever had.

Eriks Esenvalds is another contemporary choral music composer that I love. This song feels like the embodiment of my childhood:

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2018 at 11:19 AM, oshii said:

Oh man I was not expecting to see one of my favorite composers mentioned in this thread. I've had the pleasure of hearing Lux Aurumque and Nox Aurumque live and it was one of the most goosebump inducing experiences I've ever had.

Found out about him from our band teacher, as we played "Seal Lullaby" for a Christmas Concert one year and a spring one another. The Seal Lullaby has an interesting story to it, considering it was supposed to be used in a Dreamworks movie before it was canceled for a certain film called "Kung Fu Panda".

Anyway, to add another song to this topic:

I've actually hummed this when sweeping the floor at work a few times.

I recently finished Need for Speed: Carbon (a game I've had for years, but have never actually beaten), and I never realized it until not too long ago that a lot of the music from the game was actually made by real bands and artists. I always thought that it was music made for the game by EA. It was a neat discovery. Here's one of the songs that I really liked.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2018 at 8:20 PM, indigospace said:

I recently finished Need for Speed: Carbon (a game I've had for years, but have never actually beaten), and I never realized it until not too long ago that a lot of the music from the game was actually made by real bands and artists. I always thought that it was music made for the game by EA. It was a neat discovery. Here's one of the songs that I really liked

You never knew about licensed soundtracks?

Priestess is a good band, and Color Me Black is one of their standouts.

Here's another song by a band with a great name:

An underrated piece from an underrated game.

The main theme of Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction:

This was composed by Michael Giacchio, by the way.

2 hours ago, Innocentmask said:

So, does anyone here like game music more than mainstream music here? I do.

Personally, I prefer video game music over mainstream music, too. The vast majority of my playlist is pretty much VG music.

Speaking of that, I've been listening to a lot of Castlevania tracks lately, and here's one I like a lot.

Spoiler

Also, this cover of Gang Plank Galleon is awesome.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Innocentmask said:

If by "mainstream" you mean radio music and top 40 stuff, absolutely. No game music makes me want to blow my brains out quite like Imagine Dragons.

Except maybe Otherworld from FFX and the Chocobo theme from FFXIII-2. And the theme song for Yoshi's Story.

Edited by Slumber

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2018 at 5:43 PM, Innocentmask said:

personally think most videogame music is trash

sometimes it's alright but it's mostly mindless background music or poppy garbage if it's trying to be trendy

Edited by peener weener

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
23 hours ago, AcaciatheWaterManakete012 said:

I listen to Rush's A Passage to Bangkok
Listening to my school on the computer.

2111 is one of my favorite albums of all time. I have 2 copies of it on vinyl

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...