Why is Amelia disliked?

I've seen many comments bashing Amelia as being one of the worst SS characters out there, and I'm just wondering why. It is because she really has bad base and growths?  it is because of how late she joins as a trainee? or is something else? I'm wondering, because she's one of my favorite FE characters ever, and I've always understood she has no problem becoming a powerful unit 

She's about as close to unusable as you can get if you don't grind in the Tower, and even then she takes time to be able to take out weak, base enemies on her own.

And further, the best case scenario for her is Paladin, and she won't beat out any of the other FOUR Paladins she'll be competing with. You're left with a redundant unit that is just stupid to train up and has no real payoff.

It's SS and completely cake, so use whoever you want, but for people who don't like grinding and don't feel like training up another Paladin, Amelia has 0 practical use.

Edited by Slumber

26 minutes ago, Midnox said:

I've seen many comments bashing Amelia as being one of the worst SS characters out there, and I'm just wondering why.

This and being disliked are two different things. From what I've seen I think Amelia is actually pretty well-liked, she's just a very bad unit.

Been years since I've last played SS. Maybe I should go another playthrough someday to see if she gets as bad as you guys say. Last time I've played, she got so OP that I didn't give her any sacred twin XD 

48 minutes ago, Florete said:

From what I've seen I think Amelia is actually pretty well-liked, she's just a very bad unit.

^this, basically. I personally like her and will occasionally valni her up to level 10/1 to make her start tolerable, but that doesn't make her a good unit.

If you ignore necessary grinding as a point against a unit, all of FE8's unit discussion would basically boil down to "Horse = Good; Flyer = Better; Foot Unit = Bad", since different combat stats hardly matter if everyone one-rounds everything anyway.

It's also partly backlash from when the community was younger and thought Growth Units were everything and thought she was better than Seth. 

Which is funny because Seth has better growths than she does. Not to mention he has actual bases, but FE is a series where you can make mostly everyone work and you should just use who you want to.

50 minutes ago, Jedi said:

It's also partly backlash from when the community was younger and thought Growth Units were everything and thought she was better than Seth. 

Which is funny because Seth has better growths than she does. Not to mention he has actual bases, but FE is a series where you can make mostly everyone work and you should just use who you want to.

"Back in my day, FE6 Karel was the best unit in the franchise! Then those damn kids got obsessed with horses..."

I remember those days, but I don't even remember people saying Amelia was particularly good back then, either. I know Seth wasn't God's gift to FE8 back then, but other than that, I don't think it was too much different then. Though I was also part of an FE community that really didn't think very highly of FE8 and didn't care to discuss it much.

She's not the most disliked character (story), but the most disliked unit (gameplay).

For optimal and quick playthroughs she is pretty much a waste of space. Though if you want to fiddle with her data via a hack tool then you're welcome to improve her bases or growths, preferably bases

Edited by silveraura25

6 hours ago, Slumber said:

She's about as close to unusable as you can get if you don't grind in the Tower, and even then she takes time to be able to take out weak, base enemies on her own.

At least she's better than Ewan!!!!!

Edited by Refa

It's because most people ban the tower when they play the game, and therefore Amelia is very difficult to use. Her performance at her base level of the trainee class is awful which makes her "bad".

In drafts, she is actually pretty good because the trainee  clause allows you to level-up Amelia and Ewan in the tower to 1st tier LV 5.

As a character, I like her. And in drafts I really like her.

Honestly they screwed up a little bit with the trainees in this game. Ross, Amelia, and Ewan should have had +5% to all of their growths.

Amelia is super painful to train up to usable levels. You either have to surround one of the archers that starts near the physic monk in her join chapter or grind in the tower. Unlike Ross, she'll need even more grinding after promoting, as her growths are really bad (Her highest growth is 50% in Luck of all stats). She's pretty popular as a character, though, so I wouldn't say she's hated.

7 hours ago, Slumber said:

I remember those days, but I don't even remember people saying Amelia was particularly good back then, either. I know Seth wasn't God's gift to FE8 back then, but other than that, I don't think it was too much different then. Though I was also part of an FE community that really didn't think very highly of FE8 and didn't care to discuss it much.

Same here. Outside of a few people, noone particularly thought she was a good unit. People mostly just joked about how bad she was despite the fact Ewan is way worse. I'm pretty sure I recall people thinking NIno was  the best GBA mage or something being a issue though, but never anything with Amelia.

Ba_fe08_amelia_recruit_lance_critical.gi

Amelia is more effort then she's worth, but her character and promotions are unique. To me, this makes her fun to use, unlike say Donnel. Whether its as a giant orange general or clumsy super recruit, its fun to see her in action.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

3 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Ba_fe08_amelia_recruit_lance_critical.gi

Amelia is more effort then she's worth, but her character and promotions are unique. To me, this makes her fun to use, unlike say Donnel. Whether its as a giant orange general or clumsy super recruit, its fun to see her in action.

This. Yes. Completely. :D:

Amelia, like a lot of my favorite characters, isn't really all that amazing of a unit. But let's face it, she's adorable! And the super recruits were sort of a fun and unique reward to work towards by completing both routes. (: 

For the life of me though I cannot figure out why later villager units like Donnel and Mozu did not elicit the same results. I didn't really care for them the same way I did with Amelia, Ewan, and Ross. *shrug*

Just now, foxysauce said:

Amelia, like a lot of my favorite characters, isn't really all that amazing of a unit. But let's face it, she's adorable! And the super recruits were sort of a fun and unique reward to work towards by completing both routes. (: 

For the life of me though I cannot figure out why later villager units like Donnel and Mozu did not elicit the same results. I didn't really care for them the same way I did with Amelia, Ewan, and Ross. *shrug*

Mozu can get some fitting classes, but Donnel is stuck with Warrior, Hero, and Bow Knight, neither of which fit him at all. Thats one reason I don't like Donnel as much.

Just now, Emperor Hardin said:

Mozu can get some fitting classes, but Donnel is stuck with Warrior, Hero, and Bow Knight, neither of which fit him at all. Thats one reason I don't like Donnel as much.

I think Donnels accent might be a little off putting. Nephenee did it better.

Now that I think of it, if Amelia had like a nervous, high-pitched voice actress in her game, it might have made a big impact on whether I liked her or not. 

I myself have a love hate relationship with Amelia, she has bad bases and growths but it's just something about her that both makes me want to punch her in the face and give her a big hug. She's hard to train but not too difficult, I almost got her to promotion in her join map, Sacred Stones isn't a difficult game so anyone is usable, she's nowhere as bad as Wendy and Sophia. The best thing about her is the fact that on Eirika's side, you can steal her speedwing and let her leave, so you can steal a second speedwing later, then kill her. 

Man, it's satisfying killing Amelia. 

Amelia's not a disliked character, but a disliked unit, as others have said.

She suffers from bad bases and okay-ish growths that aren't as high as compared to other units, so it makes it difficult to train her.

Thankfully, skirmishes and the tower exist for grinding purposes and I think that's why the devs didn't really care about giving the trainees awful bases because you can easily just level them up and make them usable (then again Wendy and Sophia have bad bases in FE6 for no reason, so I'm not too sure).

But in no grind runs Amelia basically isn't worth the time to train. She can become OP with enough effort, but other units can as well at a much faster rate.

At least she's better than Ewan!!!!!

He can do a free attack unlike her, so I wouldn't rank him worse than her. 

Amelia gained lots of sympathies due to Gheb-FE because she's a great unit there.

Edited by Hecatia Lapislazuli

I myself found her easy to train ? I was just playing FE8 the other day,  i went through Eirika's route,  i was able to get Amelia up to level 5 on the chapter you get her in, of course i had to give her some kills, after that i went to just one monster that was on the map, and just from that, i got her to level 10.

Also in the next chapter in Eirika's route, you get an arena, so making her catch up to everyone was that much easier, now i know some people don't like to fight monsters on the map or use the arena as much, so yeah if you aren't using them, training Amelia would be hard, but i used them, and i would say it was very VERY easy to train her.

l3Wl8CI.jpg

That's my Amelia and i'm still on chapter 11, and yes i did use the one Knight Crest you only have by that time in the game on her.

Saying Amelia is disliked as a character is off the mark, as she is apparently well-liked. However, people take issue with her as a unit, due to needing grinding to be usable, her bases, and her growths.

16 hours ago, foxysauce said:

My big issue with the "super" trainees is that they're honestly a massive novelty. I don't see the "super" Journeyman as so super when it's a watered down version of Berserker. I'm hesitant to say it's worth taking over Warrior or Hero, too. The "super" versions of Recruit and Pupil are more of the same. The fact that they get no gain to Con when it's the main determinant of AS does not help. As for Amelia herself, I much prefer Paladin since it's the practical option. And because her other class options are underwhelming at best and outright awful at worst.

@Rose482 Did you promote her early? Because it sure looks like you did.