Any general tips for a new FE4 player?

Yuzu

Hi, yes hello. I've recently started FE4 and it's really different from a lot of the other games in the series overall.

Just hit chapter 2 and things are coming along decently.

Any tips for a new player to help out with the specific mechanics or just in general for FE4?

1 hour ago, Yuzu said:

Hi, yes hello. I've recently started FE4 and it's really different from a lot of the other games in the series overall.

Just hit chapter 2 and things are coming along decently.

Any tips for a new player to help out with the specific mechanics or just in general for FE4?

These links should help you ;)
https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/3vnqgy/newcomers_companion_to_fe4_genealogy_of_the_holy/

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/4zurm2/ultimate_fe4_pairing_guide/

• Roads are your friends- they allow characters to travel further than they normally could.
  • You're probably aware of the Love System by now, with it affecting Edain and Ayra the most. For Ayra, don't sweat it. Any guy is a decent partner for her tbh. For Edain, she's great with most of the guys already in your army. I don't want to get into specifics to avoid spoilers though. 
  • Dew can give money to everyone, regardless if they're his lover or not. However, it's hard to train him up, so if he's nearby, I'd recommend giving him the kill. Thieves can also unlock bridges, but that mechanic is hardly used.
  • You may want to be quick. Since it's your first time, I would normally say to take it slow. If you do, don't feel bad, you'll just miss out on some items that you can beat the game without. They only make 1 or 2 characters' lives easier anyway, so you're not missing much.
  • I don't know how spoiled you are in story, and it's hard to give tips for this game in particular because a lot of the mechanics are explained in the story.

34 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:
  • Roads are your friends- they allow characters to travel further than they normally could.
  • You're probably aware of the Love System by now, with it affecting Edain and Ayra the most. For Ayra, don't sweat it. Any guy is a decent partner for her tbh. For Edain, she's great with most of the guys already in your army. I don't want to get into specifics to avoid spoilers though. 
  • Dew can give money to everyone, regardless if they're his lover or not. However, it's hard to train him up, so if he's nearby, I'd recommend giving him the kill. Thieves can also unlock bridges, but that mechanic is hardly used.
  • You may want to be quick. Since it's your first time, I would normally say to take it slow. If you do, don't feel bad, you'll just miss out on some items that you can beat the game without. They only make 1 or 2 characters' lives easier anyway, so you're not missing much.
  • I don't know how spoiled you are in story, and it's hard to give tips for this game in particular because a lot of the mechanics are explained in the story.

I am fully aware of the story for reference. Feel free to go at it with spoilers. I'm fully aware of all the first gen stuff. A little less with second gen but I don't mind.

As well thank you for this info as well

There are certain secret events that can be triggered that give characters new items, like Lex's Brave Axe in Chapter 1, or Arden's Pursuit Ring in Chapter 2. Character Conversations are also your friend, as units may gain a nice boost to their stats, or get new items, a good example being Quan and Finn's conversations. And if you plan on pairing certain units together, conversations help with that too, but not all characters talk with each other, so be wary.

Also, if you plan on grinding the love points between characters (ignore the bad wording), you can only do so up to turn 50. There's also a jealousy system, but I've rambled too much already, so if you want to look into the jealousy system, this site is probably your best bet. It explains it way better than I could.

1 hour ago, Yuzu said:

I am fully aware of the story for reference. Feel free to go at it with spoilers. I'm fully aware of all the first gen stuff. A little less with second gen but I don't mind.

As well thank you for this info as well

Oh ok. Be wary of the talk section in the character data sheet. Make a habit to check after every time you capture a castle

Also, everyone but Tailtiu has more options than meets the eye when it comes to lovers. Sylvia x Dew or Chulainn/Holyn is underrated, IMO.

27 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Oh ok. Be wary of the talk section in the character data sheet. Make a habit to check after every time you capture a castle

Also, everyone but Tailtiu has more options than meets the eye when it comes to lovers. Sylvia x Dew or Chulainn/Holyn is underrated, IMO.

Poor Tailtiu. I really really like her.

2 minutes ago, Yuzu said:

Poor Tailtiu. I really really like her.

I really like her too, but nearly all my pairing planning revolves around her lol

Stack rings (Power/Speed/Paragon/Knight) and the Brave/Light Swords on Sigurd for an easy Gen 2 experience.

I know it's in that reddit link, but the autosave function is awesome. Save every turn, have a separate slot for every castle you take, and then 1 slot right at the start of the chapter (and 1 free slot). I thought it was super helpful. A lot of times I'd also save the turn before taking a castle because it usually triggers a mess of reinforcements. Both Lachesis and Leif on promotion are absolutely incredible, and it takes a while to get them to promote but they're worth it. Additionally, units that lose in the arena don't die, so I like to run a few rounds of the arena for everyone at the start of a chapter.

I'd say definitely try to pair every girl up for 1st Gen.  Even those who seem utterly useless or unsalvageable.  Pretty much every 2nd Gen kid is superior to the substitutes you'd otherwise get.  Larcei and Sakasha in particular can be great no matter what awful father you give them.  Even Mr. Strong, Reliable, and Slow Arden doesn't really ruin them, and in fact gives them each Vantage/Ambush.

Also, be mindful of what items and weapons everyone from the 1st Gen has before the end of Chapter 5.  I mean, as long as every potential parent has items that are useful for them, the 2nd Gen units will likely inherit useful items themselves.  Though one thing that caught me a little off-guard is that the items I put in the Pawn Shop in the 1st Generation don't return in the 2nd Generation.  But that wasn't a big problem, because the most valuable item I had in there was a Return Ring.

Oh, and when you capture Silesia, make sure to have Lewyn enter Silesia castle town.  It'll help make killing Reptor the One Shot Killer much easier, trust me.

And yes, using multiple save slots is a good idea.

3 hours ago, Will Bill said:

Use Levin.

and Julia. I didn’t use Julia for The Whole game and it made the final level a nightmare.

I love him so much 

7 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

I'd say definitely try to pair every girl up for 1st Gen.  Even those who seem utterly useless or unsalvageable.  Pretty much every 2nd Gen kid is superior to the substitutes you'd otherwise get.  Larcei and Sakasha in particular can be great no matter what awful father you give them.  Even Mr. Strong, Reliable, and Slow Arden doesn't really ruin them, and in fact gives them each Vantage/Ambush.

Also, be mindful of what items and weapons everyone from the 1st Gen has before the end of Chapter 5.  I mean, as long as every potential parent has items that are useful for them, the 2nd Gen units will likely inherit useful items themselves.  Though one thing that caught me a little off-guard is that the items I put in the Pawn Shop in the 1st Generation don't return in the 2nd Generation.  But that wasn't a big problem, because the most valuable item I had in there was a Return Ring.

Oh, and when you capture Silesia, make sure to have Lewyn enter Silesia castle town.  It'll help make killing Reptor the One Shot Killer much easier, trust me.

And yes, using multiple save slots is a good idea.

All of this is really good to note. I'll be sure to keep it in mind

9 hours ago, Logjam said:

I know it's in that reddit link, but the autosave function is awesome. Save every turn, have a separate slot for every castle you take, and then 1 slot right at the start of the chapter (and 1 free slot). I thought it was super helpful. A lot of times I'd also save the turn before taking a castle because it usually triggers a mess of reinforcements. Both Lachesis and Leif on promotion are absolutely incredible, and it takes a while to get them to promote but they're worth it. Additionally, units that lose in the arena don't die, so I like to run a few rounds of the arena for everyone at the start of a chapter.

I actually was aware of the Lachesis thing and the arena. But it's good to note anyhow

18 hours ago, indigospace said:

There are certain secret events that can be triggered that give characters new items, like Lex's Brave Axe in Chapter 1, or Arden's Pursuit Ring in Chapter 2. Character Conversations are also your friend, as units may gain a nice boost to their stats, or get new items, a good example being Quan and Finn's conversations. And if you plan on pairing certain units together, conversations help with that too, but not all characters talk with each other, so be wary.

Also, if you plan on grinding the love points between characters (ignore the bad wording), you can only do so up to turn 50. There's also a jealousy system, but I've rambled too much already, so if you want to look into the jealousy system, this site is probably your best bet. It explains it way better than I could.

This actually really helps a lot. I have gotten Finn and Cuans convos as well as Lex's brave axe and Arden's pursuit ring. But the pairing advice really helps!

Unless you want to play the game completely blind, I suggest browsing through a guide before playing a chapter. If only to find out about character unlocked events, such as getting Dew’s wind sword in ch 3. Also Quan, Ethlyn, and Finn leave after ch 3 so sell off everything you don’t want them to pass down. Lastly, plan ahead what pairings you want and I suggest looking at a guide to see what items their kids will need to inherit to make up for some pairing’s downsides. Like if you pair Jamke and Edain, Lester won’t inherit pursuit since it’s a class skill, so you might have the pursuit ring passed down.

The little plus sign next to Quote enables Multiquote, so you can respond to multiple people in the same post, and I don't have to warn you for doubleposting.

Anyway, weapon ranks are static.  That means that no matter how many times Alec swats something with an Iron Sword, he's never going to become a better swordguy.  Don't sit on your better staves "waiting for another day" - they're given to you at that point in time for a reason, and it makes Chapter 2 much less of a headache.

Lastly, you're going to encounter some seriously sucky terrain in future maps.  Fury's your friend here, and she does decently well with a magic sword.

In the same chapter you get Julia you can defeat two different bosses at one point. Be sure to kill the one that rewards Julia with rezire instead of the one with Aura. Julia + rezire = amazing. Julia + aura = meh.

On 5/6/2018 at 6:55 PM, eclipse said:

The little plus sign next to Quote enables Multiquote, so you can respond to multiple people in the same post, and I don't have to warn you for doubleposting.

Anyway, weapon ranks are static.  That means that no matter how many times Alec swats something with an Iron Sword, he's never going to become a better swordguy.  Don't sit on your better staves "waiting for another day" - they're given to you at that point in time for a reason, and it makes Chapter 2 much less of a headache.

Lastly, you're going to encounter some seriously sucky terrain in future maps.  Fury's your friend here, and she does decently well with a magic sword.

Thank you for the warning. I'll remember that in the future. I do apologize as I was not aware of this. 

Also thank you for telling about the weapon ranks. I was thinking I could improve them @_@ 

On 5/6/2018 at 5:46 PM, Shinwoo said:

Unless you want to play the game completely blind, I suggest browsing through a guide before playing a chapter. If only to find out about character unlocked events, such as getting Dew’s wind sword in ch 3. Also Quan, Ethlyn, and Finn leave after ch 3 so sell off everything you don’t want them to pass down. Lastly, plan ahead what pairings you want and I suggest looking at a guide to see what items their kids will need to inherit to make up for some pairing’s downsides. Like if you pair Jamke and Edain, Lester won’t inherit pursuit since it’s a class skill, so you might have the pursuit ring passed down.

I have been checking up on guides every now and then because there are some absurdly obscure events in this game. It's actually kind of ridiculous. 

Thanks for the heads up on chapter 3 btw. I knew they left just didn't know when. And I'll be sure to plan my pairing's accordingly.

19 hours ago, Hekselka said:

In the same chapter you get Julia you can defeat two different bosses at one point. Be sure to kill the one that rewards Julia with rezire instead of the one with Aura. Julia + rezire = amazing. Julia + aura = meh.

Out of curiosity what does rezire do over aura?

5 minutes ago, Yuzu said:

Out of curiosity what does rezire do over aura?

In case you don't know, Resire = Nosferatu.

Just now, Levant Mir Celestia said:

In case you don't know, Resire = Nosferatu.

Oh, well then. That does seem to be the better option overall.

3 hours ago, Yuzu said:

Oh, well then. That does seem to be the better option overall.

Yup.

With Nosferatu she becomes a unit who you can send in the middle of a pack of enemies and she'll easily deal with most of them. Of course she's still a mage with low defense so don't be too ballsy with her and have some units close to her so they can finish off the rest but I'm sure you get the idea.