Possible Lore Explanation for Nowi's Outfit?

11 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

The Art of Awakening states Nowi was the first Manakete seen for thousands of years other then Tiki and that Manaketes are mythical entities.

Yarne is referring to Tiki and Nowi there.

The taguel shouldn't be there period.

Wasn't that the same book that also said that Grima is related to the Earth Dragons, and that's now non-canon? 

12 hours ago, Ae†her said:

I mean I guess that could be possible, but that brings up the question again of why Nowi's wearing that specific costume, and if it's because her former slavers made her wear it (which is something that's been speculated repeatedly on this thread), then it doesn't make sense why she would keep it on. It doesn't really matter if she keeps it on (not to mention the fact that no one changes clothes at all either throughout the entire game) the question is more of on why she's wearing that specific costume.

What's to say that she herself didn't choose to wear it herself? If she's used to wearing revealing clothes, she'll end up picking clothes that she would find to work for her, and for her, that's revealing clothes. If its comfortable to her, why would she change it? 

1 hour ago, Soleater said:

I actually think the inclusion of Taguel isn't so bad - yeah it didn't do anything for the story, but them being there doesn't hurt the story already there; they're there, it's just not their story.

Except the origin of the taguel is completely unknown and they did not exist in any games in the past. So it hurts the lore even more when there's claims that they were ALWAYS there.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Wasn't that the same book that also said that Grima is related to the Earth Dragons, and that's now non-canon? 

What's to say that she herself didn't choose to wear it herself? If she's used to wearing revealing clothes, she'll end up picking clothes that she would find to work for her, and for her, that's revealing clothes. If its comfortable to her, why would she change it? 

Except the origin of the taguel is completely unknown and they did not exist in any games in the past. So it hurts the lore even more when there's claims that they were ALWAYS there.

Which artbook are we talking about?  Knights of Iris?

And that's a possibility!  But when she was found by Gregor, she had been sold to the Grimleal, so she was already in custody :/

So was Grima, but SoV fleshed him out pretty well - if they reREmake one of Marth's games, they could have some sort of explanation I think.

Not to mention Panne's knowledge of Tageul can be considered shakey at best since she says she knew her mother, and then that she didn't...?  I personally headcanon that she never knew her birth mother, but had an adoptive human mother, but I digress

5 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Choose to wear that because that was her only option? That would be weird unless her parents are that weird in the head because how else would Nowi be used that type of clothing, if not for other people forcing that clothing upon her. It also makes more sense for manaketes to wear non-revealing clothing as well because they are a unique species that are desired by even slavers, so it's best if they don't stand-out that much appearance-wise. I'm not disagreeing with you that if she found it comfortable then she would keep wearing it, but I'm saying that that statement doesn't help address the origin of where that dress came from.

5 minutes ago, Ae†her said:

Choose to wear that because that was her only option? That would be weird unless her parents are that weird in the head because how else would Nowi be used that type of clothing, if not for other people forcing that clothing upon her. It also makes more sense for manaketes to wear non-revealing clothing as well because they are a unique species that are desired by even slavers, so it's best if they don't stand-out that much appearance-wise. I'm not disagreeing with you that if she found it comfortable then she would keep wearing it, but I'm saying that that statement doesn't help address the origin of where that dress came from.

Her parents are:

A) Dead

B) Never got to raise her as she was kidnapped after she was born.

Also, she wears the outfit not cause its her only option, but for all we know, she chose to wear it cause she simply likes it. It's comfortable to her, so she prefers it. 

2 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Her parents are:

A) Dead

B) Never got to raise her as she was kidnapped after she was born.

Also, she wears the outfit not cause its her only option, but for all we know, she chose to wear it cause she simply likes it. It's comfortable to her, so she prefers it. 

Really? Because the wiki has been saying otherwise, that she has lived her parents long ago, and that after their separation she lived in mankete village.

4 minutes ago, Ae†her said:

Really? Because the wiki has been saying otherwise, that she has lived her parents long ago, and that after their separation she lived in mankete village.

The wiki has hokey info - for the longest time, it was said that Camilla's Wyvern was named Marzia...when actually that information came from a fanfiction of all places.

4 hours ago, Ae†her said:

The wiki is in need of some information adjustment.

Nowi: Hey, Donny! I remembered where I was born!
Donnel: Oh, yeah? Where at?
Nowi: It's all the way left from here!
Donnel: What, ya mean west?
Nowi: No, left! Across the ocean and way to the left!
Donnel: I ain't sure I follow. You don't know any landmarks or nothin'?
Nowi: No, not really. I was kidnapped right after I was born.

No Manakete village, nor was she raised by her parents.

17 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

The wiki is in need of some information adjustment.

No Manakete village, nor was she raised by her parents.

21 hours ago, Soleater said:

The wiki has hokey info - for the longest time, it was said that Camilla's Wyvern was named Marzia...when actually that information came from a fanfiction of all places.

My bad then, I didn't expect the wiki to mess up that badly.

2 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Well, I went and fixed that.

Just checked it and t h a n k you!

...Now if only we could prove the whole reason for her outfit thing...Too bad there's not enough definitive proof :/

3 minutes ago, Soleater said:

Just checked it and t h a n k you!

...Now if only we could prove the whole reason for her outfit thing...Too bad there's not enough definitive proof :/

Had Nowi gotten into Warriors, I wonder if they would have done an explanation? 

They did one for Tharja in her support with Olivia.

11 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Had Nowi gotten into Warriors, I wonder if they would have done an explanation? 

They did one for Tharja in her support with Olivia.

...I just read and huh, Tharja describing the outfit as "functional" is really interesting to me - not to mention her conversation with Corrin in that game...it makes it seem like she's just really really socially inept?  And that she can't figure out how to talk to people?  Like even in that Olivia/Tharja conversation, she expressed a desire to be "better"...I guess she's just super awkward and that's kind of idk humanizing???

I wish there were more shifters in Warriors in general...We could have gotten Panne or Nowi or N A H, but nah (ha)

It would have been awesome if that had provided an explanation for her outfit in Warriors - who knows?  Maybe they'll be a FE Warriors sequel (doubtful, but I can dream), and she'll make it in there?...Which isn't likely - if they WERE to make a new game, they'd add whoever's the most relevant at the time.

Abstaining from Nowi, who is she again? (I chose to forget FE13 and stay above the crossfire like this.)

However, Nowi's situation seems to remind me of a certain someone else and her daughter. 

Spoiler

fe040.jpg

fe064.jpg

All three were more or less born and raised into slavery it seems IRRC. The difference is that the former duo are Dancers, a class accepted to be of a lower moral dress code. Nowi also looks younger than even Lene. Perhaps Silvia and Lene are more socially normalized as well, and they both like dancing even knowing it was probably forced on them. 

It also reminds me of Velvet a little from Odin Sphere. Besides her anorexic body shape, she happens to be dressed fairly revealingly.

Spoiler

Image result for velvet odin sphere

It might be traditional Valentinian clothing, her twin brother has a midriff, but it may also owe something to her grandfather forcing her to dance to the crack of his whip. Years later, maybe a decade, she is still dressed revealingly despite her grandfather whom she dislikes being dead, and despite the fact her idle pose makes her seem like she is aware and a little shy from her immodesty. Why didn't she change in that time? She has a kingdom of Pookas willing to fabricate new clothing for her if she wanted it.

On 5/5/2018 at 12:53 PM, Soleater said:

Oh yeah, you're right - for some reason I remember her saying that she said that in Tharja's support?  And after rereading some stuff, I guess it's likely she never knew any other Manaketes?  (Especially her support with Henry when he makes the illusion)

This is really only a minor detail, but doesn't Nowi meet/know Bantu? I'm pretty sure she only mentions it in event tiles, so it's laughably canon at best, but it still makes me wonder if she really hasn't ever known any other manaketes....

It also makes me bitter about the fact that she doesn't get a support with Tiki, ostensibly the only other manakete she's ever met if the rest of the board is right and she was kidnapped shortly after birth, haha.

*Edit: Whoops, shame on me. Someone already pointed out that Nowi knows/knew Bantu earlier in the thread and I didn't see it. Sorry!

Edited by starbat
repeated something from earlier in the thread

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to this conversation, but I've never given Nowi much of a look until my most recent playthrough. What I've found, at least to me, is that Nowi's childish antics are, by and large, an act to a certain degree. Some of her most childish actions almost certainly are by her own admission to Nah in their C support. 

Nah:
Mother, you need to take this more seriously! We're in the midst of a war!

Nowi:
I KNOW, silly. But thinking about it all the time isn't going to help me! The tougher things get, the more I laugh, and that makes everyone else laugh, too. I think that's kind of my job here. To keep everyone smiling.

That being said, she is a genuinely optimistic and upbeat person. Have a look at  Nowi and Tiki's Harvest Scramble conversation; Nowi manages to completely destroy Tiki's bitter and lonely fatalism by simply offering her opinion.

look at the state Tiki is left in after that first conversation. Nowi knows EXACTLY what she is doing, which is why she gets worried when Tiki starts crying. She is MUCH wiser than she lets on. As far as her outfit goes - I think she's aware of the implications but doesn't care, because really, who's going to question the clothing choices of a dragon? Tiki even wonders here, and Nowi dismisses it out of hand. 

Nowi is interesting. If you go through her supports remembering that she is over a thousand years old - meaning, she may, or may not have been alive for the battle against Grima by the first exalt, then Nowi's rather pointed observations make quite a bit of sense. 

On 5/24/2018 at 2:26 AM, SerCaladran said:

I'm a bit late to this conversation, but I've never given Nowi much of a look until my most recent playthrough. What I've found, at least to me, is that Nowi's childish antics are, by and large, an act to a certain degree. Some of her most childish actions almost certainly are by her own admission to Nah in their C support. 

That being said, she is a genuinely optimistic and upbeat person. Have a look at  Nowi and Tiki's Harvest Scramble conversation; Nowi manages to completely destroy Tiki's bitter and lonely fatalism by simply offering her opinion.

look at the state Tiki is left in after that first conversation. Nowi knows EXACTLY what she is doing, which is why she gets worried when Tiki starts crying. She is MUCH wiser than she lets on. As far as her outfit goes - I think she's aware of the implications but doesn't care, because really, who's going to question the clothing choices of a dragon? Tiki even wonders here, and Nowi dismisses it out of hand. 

Nowi is interesting. If you go through her supports remembering that she is over a thousand years old - meaning, she may, or may not have been alive for the battle against Grima by the first exalt, then Nowi's rather pointed observations make quite a bit of sense. 

That's it - discussion over

I literally cannot say anymore - this is just perfect

This whole

is just???

...On the topic of Nowi and her possibly being around in the time of Grima...I wonder if she ever met him?  Like, it was sort of implied by him needing "another" person of a "certain bloodline", being struck down by Alm, and his body being present in the game before rising, it makes me wonder if a very young Nowi, possibly lost and looking for her (unbeknownst to her at that time) dead parents, and she met Grima's Vessel, maybe even growing attached to him while not knowing that, thousands of years later, she would have to kill him?

Idk food for thought I guess - shrugs -

But I do like the idea of Nowi just being...Cool with eh clothes - I mean, as much as she would prefer being treated as less an adult and more like the light-hearted child she acts like (looking at her S-support with Virion), she makes points to Gregor, Frederick, and, as you showed in the video, Tiki how old she really is - and she accepts both that, and that people view her as a child?

She's just...super chill and I love her.

1 hour ago, Soleater said:

...On the topic of Nowi and her possibly being around in the time of Grima...I wonder if she ever met him?  Like, it was sort of implied by him needing "another" person of a "certain bloodline", being struck down by Alm, and his body being present in the game before rising, it makes me wonder if a very young Nowi, possibly lost and looking for her (unbeknownst to her at that time) dead parents, and she met Grima's Vessel, maybe even growing attached to him while not knowing that, thousands of years later, she would have to kill him?

This would depend on a few things. It's possible that she wasn't even on Ylisse or Valm at the time. However, I get the feeling that the battle between the First Exalt and Grima was extremely destructive and extremely desperate; The Creation was created in what is now Regna Ferox, and somehow he ended up in Plegia. It's also notable that the landscape has changed QUITE A LOT in both Valm and Ylisse from its days as Valentia and Archanea. Either the world has had some pretty wicked tectonics and weather to change so much, or Grima was absolutely ruinous when he was unleashed. Given Lucina's overwhelming desperation to see him never resurrect, I have to wonder just how bad it really got before Grima fell. 

40 minutes ago, SerCaladran said:

This would depend on a few things. It's possible that she wasn't even on Ylisse or Valm at the time. However, I get the feeling that the battle between the First Exalt and Grima was extremely destructive and extremely desperate; The Creation was created in what is now Regna Ferox, and somehow he ended up in Plegia. It's also notable that the landscape has changed QUITE A LOT in both Valm and Ylisse from its days as Valentia and Archanea. Either the world has had some pretty wicked tectonics and weather to change so much, or Grima was absolutely ruinous when he was unleashed. Given Lucina's overwhelming desperation to see him never resurrect, I have to wonder just how bad it really got before Grima fell. 

For my money, I vote Grima was super destructive - which would explain why so many things (geography, kingdoms, history even as people who knew what had happened and history books get destroyed in the fell flames, etc.) are changed or outright gone.  Also probably why most people don't seem to know the origins of the Fire Emblem, Medeus, or any of that - because Grima burnt it all to the ground when he first rose, and when he was sealed, people were too concerned with coming back from the ashes and rebuilding to initially concern themselves with why the kingdoms fell.  The First Exalt just sort of came down, slew the dragon, and offered an easy out by becoming, well, the First Exalt and offering structure and protection.  Also, I personally love a headcannon in that the First Exalt actually erased the existence of Grima as best he could, making sure no one knew of this horrible creature and tried to revive/didn't want this to forever scar the people.  Then, when Chrom's father found out about Grima (i.e. his religious crusade on Plegia that ended up getting him killed), he did everything he could to make sure Grima never rose again (also hence, his super violent reaction).

Most of this is just my personal headcanon, but I think it would be cool ^^  Also, I don't remember where, but apparently it was said Nowi came to the Ylissian continent because she "noticed the movements of the Grimleal", so what if she had a slight history of them?...What if she knew Chrom's father personally?

• 4 weeks later...

Nowi's a dragon.

Dragons are reptiles.

Reptiles are cold-blooded.

Therefore, Nowi needs a lot of sun exposure to maintain her body temperature.

Covering more skin would shade her from the sun.

Thus, Nowi dresses like a stripper.

IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE GUYS I'M TOTALLY NOT A PEDOPHILE

Edited by Gaggle of Geese
Stupid autocorrect

6 minutes ago, Gaggle of Geese said:

Nowi's a dragon.

Dragons are reptiles.

Reptiles are cold-blooded.

Therefore, Nowi needs a lot of sun exposure to maintain her body temperature.

Covering more skin would shade her from the sun.

Thus, Nowi dresses like a stripper.

IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE GUYS I'M TOTALLY NOT A PEDOPHILE

oh my god I lol'd at this so hard

The best way to go about this is to start considering the facts. So correct me if I'm wrong, but we know that Nowi was kidnapped and used for "entertainment." She was also kidnapped when she from birth, so all she would have known was life in captivity. We also know that she is about 1000 years old, so she would have been in said captivity for that long. This time in captivity would make her more naive to the outside world, a la Corrin in Fates. Her childlike attitude could be chalked up to her being a manakete. The general scale would 100 manakete years= 1 human year, so it is not inconceivable that she would be mentally around 10 years old. With all of these factors to consider, it is certainly feasible for her to become comfortable in her attire and probably not want to change. Furthermore, we have characters like Tharja and Olivia to support the fact the outfits like Nowi's are not an uncommon thing. She also spends a lot of time in dragon form so her outfit would not be that big of a deal. We also don't see what the characters look like during their down time (remember they are an army, they have leave). Her outfit may just be her "combat uniform." When she is not in the manakete class she wears the generic uniform for that class. This leads me to believe that she goes to fight in said outfit, but when she isn't doing a job for Chrom's army, she wears different clothes.

• 1 month later...

Never gave it much thought, it could very well have been "entertainer slave pedo-bait" kinda reasons~

But I mean, the further in the games we go and the more questionable actual armor itself gets, Nowi is far from one of the characters I wonder about the lore of the outfits for.

I mean, TF is going on with female Sorcerers?

Just seems to be Nowi's style, she may have chosen the outfit herself if we're to assume the Witch Heroes outfit is a costume she chose, even if it's not canon~ I mean, Lolita iiiissss an actual style of clothes soooo, could just be her thing~

On 8/18/2018 at 12:36 AM, Landmaster said:

Never gave it much thought, it could very well have been "entertainer slave pedo-bait" kinda reasons~

But I mean, the further in the games we go and the more questionable actual armor itself gets, Nowi is far from one of the characters I wonder about the lore of the outfits for.

I mean, TF is going on with female Sorcerers?

Just seems to be Nowi's style, she may have chosen the outfit herself if we're to assume the Witch Heroes outfit is a costume she chose, even if it's not canon~ I mean, Lolita iiiissss an actual style of clothes soooo, could just be her thing~

Yeah but when people refer to lolita as a style of clothing they usually mean gothic lolita. Which looks like this:

And I don’t know about you but that does not like anything Nowi wears.

Edited by Ottservia

20 minutes ago, Otts486 said:

Yeah but when people refer to lolita as a style of clothing they usually mean gothic lolita. Which looks like this:

D09ED844-0BD8-4721-9125-C646DCE151BD.png

And I don’t know about you but that does not like anything Nowi wears.

But there's more to Lolita Clothing than just the gothic style. There's Classic, Sweet, Punk, Hime, Sailor, etc. Nowi reminds me of the Sweet or possibly Classic Style since she always has the big pink bows and laces on her outfits~