Improve your favorite character(s)

Erureido

Seeing how we currently have this thread that explores what we can do to improve our least favorite characters in the Fire Emblem series, I'd thought I'd make a counterpart to that where we talk about how we can improve our favorite characters from the franchise. Let's be honest: most of our favorite characters aren't perfect and definitely need some fixes here and there to make them better. That said, how would you improve your favorite character(s) from the franchise?

Here are some of mine just to give you an idea:

Takumi: Improve his relationship with Azura by delving more into why he acts so harsh to her for most of the game. The Birthright Drama CD implies this hostility comes from how withdrawn Azura is and how she support Corrin, but even then, it's not enough to completely justify his outbursts toward her in the game itself. I feel like his support with Azura could've touched on that.

Another thing I'd do is by removing the whole possession deal associated with him in Conquest. I think Takumi would make a great villain in Conquest if it wasn't for being possessed by Anankos. His hatred towards Corrin in that route is perfectly justified, and simply falling back on the excuse, "Oh, he did all that because he was possessed," is weak. Showing how Takumi's hatred leads to his death without the intervention of Anankos would've made him a more compelling villain in that route.

Conrad: Make him less of a walking deus-ex-machina in the story. Most of his contributions in the story come from how he comes in to save the day in various ways. "Celica is about to be killed by a landslide?" "It's okay, Conrad is here to rescue her." "Uh-oh, the royal circlet has gone missing!" "Oh wait, Conrad has it, so everything's fine now!"

By making him less of walking deus-ex-machina, he would make more contributions to the story without feeling forcefully added into it, thus feeling more relevant. I think the best way to improve him that way is by making him recruitable during Act 3. Perhaps he'd join Celica after seeing how she almost died from the landslide, and thus he thinks the best course of action is to accompany her for the remainder of the journey. Even when he is in your party at that point in the game, he would still be referred to as "the Masked Knight," and he would still contribute to the story by giving some input on the events going on as well as showing his interactions with Boey, Mae, and Saber. He still would be known as "Conrad" following his identity reveal in Act 4.

Conrad would also benefit from having more support conversations to help flesh out his character more. I think he should've had a support with Boey considering that Celica tells Boey in the beginning of Act 2 that he reminds her of Conrad, so I can imagine Boey bringing that up to Conrad in their supports with each other while talking about how similar to the two are. I also think he could've had a support with Atlas where the two talk about their experiences out in the countryside and bond from that.

Python: Fix his Skill growth and stat to make him a much more competent Archer.

Clive: Improve his Defense and Resistance while boosting his growths by a good percent to make him a much more viable unit.

Hinoka: Simply put, give her actual plot relevance in Fates' story. In the case of Birthright, I'd give her much more dialogue throughout the game, particularly following Chapter 13 since that is the moment where the story almost forgets her in favor of Ryoma. I also think she could benefit from having some nice character development in that route by wanting to help out Elise after she joins Corrin's army, and this would help her overcome her racism toward Nohrians.

In Conquest, she should show more hostility toward Corrin in the later chapters. I actually really liked her battle dialogue with him/her in Chapter 24 because she shows she is ready to no longer call Corrin a sibling for the mess that is going on in Hoshido, but that's kicked aside when she states she is still okay with Corrin after the battle concludes. She is still forgiving of Corrin even after her brothers were killed in the war and was thus forced to become Hoshido's queen. By that point, I feel like she should no longer forgive Corrin and all of Nohr. If she actually displayed this kind of hostility in the ending, I think that would improve her Conquest portrayal and make her conclusion feel more like a true bad ending for the character.

Support!Xander: Don't make his reason for making Peri his retainer just because of her looks. Just stick to the explanation he gives in their A-support instead.

Chrom: Don't have him trust Robin that quickly and early into the story. He doesn't have to be hostile or completely distrusting of Robin at the beginning, but there just needs to a balance between comradeship and distrust in the early chapters.

Virion: Give him more story relevance during the Valm arc, especially since he was the one that first informed Chrom about Walhart. One way to do so is by giving Virion some battle dialogue with Walhart or whoever the commander was that took over Rosanne. That would make it all the more satisfying to see Virion get revenge on the person that took away his country from him.

Hinata: Give Hinata some backstory. Hinata's main problem is that he doesn't have much backstory to him aside from having an enjoyable personality. The only bits of backstory we learn about him is that he came from a family of samurais that served the Hoshidan royal family for generations, and the Silver Katana he uses in Conquest Chapter 23 was a gift from Takumi (and receiving it was Hinata's proudest moment). I'd love to learn why Hinata is so devoted to Takumi. I have a personal head cannon that the two are childhood friends because of the bond they have, and I think Hinata's backstory could provide some context to it.

Arthur: Similar to Hinata, give Arthur more backstory. While we do know his backstory with Azura, he is the only Nohrian retainer where we never learn why he became a retainer for the Nohrian royal family in the first place. I'd like to learn how he became Elise's retainer and how their bond with each other started.

Charlotte: All she needs is some more clothes for her base outfit so that she isn't showing that much skin. That's about the best I can come up with how to improve her.

Lute: Make her less harsh in some supports, like her C-support with Ross for one. I feel like it could've began in a better way without Lute expressing how annoyed she is with Ross from the get-go in a rather distasteful light.

Edited by Erureido

My favourite character is Sanaki, but I don't really think she needs all THAT much improving. I guess make her less of a biatch when you first meet her in POR?

Roy:

1. More showing, less telling in his supports.  Keep the showing in the supports, though, because the rationalism and mask he puts on in the main story is an important part of his character as well. 

2. Also add Rebecca and give her a support with him to expand their relationship.

Micaiah:

1. Remove Ike from protagonist spot FE10, she is now the sole main lord of the game. 

2. Remove the marriage ending with Sothe.  They can be close, but keep it a solely sibling like relationship.  She practically raised him, having them marry is just... no thanks.

3. No more blood pacts.

4. Have Yune not possess her and hijack all her screentime in Part IV.  Have her manifest on her own in the little girl design or something.  

Wolt:

1. Make his Allen and Lance supports not horrendously boring somehow.

2. Add Rebecca and give her a support with him to expand their relationship.

Pent: Don't make him get kidnapped by aliens in Binding Blade. He should be there defending his homeland and nerding out about those dragons Bern is using. And make him an archsage. 

Siegbert/Forrest/Shiro: Ditch the deeprealm nonsense. They don't take part in the main game and aren't only barely any younger than their dads. They are born naturally years after the story ended and their whole inclusion in the story is non canon.

Tormod and Muarim: They should actually go do something in part 3. It makes no sense for the Laguz emancipation army to stay away from the Laguz emancipating business and they might feel the most conflict about having to fight team Daein. 

Hardin: Show him more often as Marth's second in command. 

24 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Roy:

1. More showing, less telling in his supports.  Keep the showing in the supports, though, because the rationalism and mask he puts on in the main story is an important part of his character as well. 

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? 

OT: Add support conversations in RD which should help further characterize some of my favorites. For example, the Dawn Brigade's background is in the developer's notes but conspicuously absent from the actual game. I would expand part one by at least a couple of chapters so that the struggle in liberating Daein is shown better because a lot of it is left to the narrator. Chapter 3-11 should be played from the perspective of the Dawn Brigade because its the turning point in the war for them and it can give us insight on how they are feeling about fighting the Apostle's Army before the blood pact. 

29 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Pent: Don't make him get kidnapped by aliens in Binding Blade. He should be there defending his homeland and nerding out about those dragons Bern is using. And make him an archsage. 

Strangely, I wouldn't at all be disappointed if Pents lack of existence in Binding Blade was due to an alien abduction...it'd be stupid but for some reason Pent feels like exactly the sort of person it should happen to.

2 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? 

OT: Add support conversations in RD which should help further characterize some of my favorites. For example, the Dawn Brigade's background is in the developer's notes but conspicuously absent from the actual game. I would expand part one by at least a couple of chapters so that the struggle in liberating Daein is shown better because a lot of it is left to the narrator. Chapter 3-11 should be played from the perspective of the Dawn Brigade because its the turning point in the war for them and it can give us insight on how they are feeling about fighting the Apostle's Army before the blood pact. 

Basically, my biggest problem with Roy is we're TOLD some interesting things about him but nothing really comes of it.  For instance, Roy is very competitive, see Cecilia/Lilina, but we don't really see it.  He mentions occasionally getting depressed due to stress in the Shanna support and Sue could tell by looking at him, but again, nothing really comes of this.  

Regarding the "mask" thing, that's also in the Shanna support.  He knows he has to act confident, even if he's really not, because he's the leader.  This manifests as his more detached characterization in the main plotline.

Stahl: I honestly don't really have any problems with his character (other than than he's his own butt-monkey, but that's not a writing problem), but his ending could go into more detail about what his wife did. He's the only guy with a guaranteed happy marriage no matter who his wife is, so try to expand upon that.

Kellam: I would say "reduce the 'he's hard to spot' joke," but really, it's only used once or twice in a support, and then it's dropped pretty quickly. I do wish that they let his more insightful and clever side appear more, as he states that he has plenty of time to think, so I'm really interested in the observations and discoveries he's made.

Panne: Give her a pair of pants or a skirt or something. Make her backstory a bit more consistent in some areas, and really go all out with the world/lore building with her. All we know so far about the Taguel is that they're shape-shifters, have been hunted, and have excellent hearing. There's so much you can expand upon here, I almost don't know where to start. I Also like that her supports can be read as her either not trusting humans yet or her just being antisocial, but there are a few times where she can be unnecessarily harsh to her partner. She doesn't need to be nice, just tone these moments back a little.

Kamui: Give him a support with Valbar and Jesse, and maybe rewrite his support with Leon (I wasn't a fan of it). Also provide him with an opportunity to give his thoughts on Jesses plan of a mercenary kingdom, just so his joining/ruling of it makes more sense (as it doesn't come out of nowhere).

Also, have Valbar, Leon, and Kamui appear in the main story more. They looked like they were going to make an excellent comedy trio, but they only appeared as such twice in the whole game. Also, where's my DLC of how they got in their predicament in the first place? It seems like it would make a great tragicomedy, and would allow for a more unique take on the boat maps.

Ike: I'd only really add improvements to his RD self. Make his personality as prominent as it was in PoR and maybe decrease his overall role a little bit. Give him a bit more development too, if he's going to keep a big role. Also, completely change his stupidass ending.

Frederick: Remove his S supports with Tharja, Lissa, Maribelle, Nowi, and maybe Sully too. I can't realistically see Frederick falling for any of them, especially Tharja. She just does so many things he should disapprove of. Lissa and Maribelle are too young for him and Lissa is his liege on top of that. He's the kind of guy that thinks she's above his station. Nowi is just weird for him because she has the body of a child. Sully is just his complete opposite in every way, but this one is a maybe because opposites CAN attract. It's just not always the case. Also go more into his implied mental issues beyond the summer scramble convo with Libra. This conversation by itself opens the door to so many interesting possibilities with this guy.

Kieran: Give this dude a background! We know nothing about it! xP

Ephraim: Make his flaws more noticeable and have them bite him in the butt a bit more.

Elincia: Make her playable earlier in PoR and just overall make her more clearly as important as she seems to supposed to be. RD Elincia is fine though.

Ryoma: See Ephraim.

Sain: Focus a bit less on his women habits and a bit more on his other characteristics. We see bits of what's behind his womanizing, but not enough imo.

Edited by Anacybele

13 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Basically, my biggest problem with Roy is we're TOLD some interesting things about him but nothing really comes of it.  For instance, Roy is very competitive, see Cecilia/Lilina, but we don't really see it.  He mentions occasionally getting depressed due to stress in the Shanna support and Sue could tell by looking at him, but again, nothing really comes of this.  

Regarding the "mask" thing, that's also in the Shanna support.  He knows he has to act confident, even if he's really not, because he's the leader.  This manifests as his more detached characterization in the main plotline.

Hmm if that's the case, I agree because his growth is stated in a support where he's not even in instead of showing it in the actual story or at the very least, in a support he's involved in.

Spoiler

A Support

Lilina: General Cecilia, don’t you think Roy has changed recently?
Cecilia: In what way?
Lilina: He’s gotten calmer… Or rather, he’s more confident when he’s giving commands to the army.
Cecilia: You would naturally become like that if you were in charge of an entire army. If Roy didn’t grow, the army itself would be in danger.
Lilina: General Cecilia, you said the other day that I would be leading Ostia’s future.
Cecilia: Yes. After all, you are Lord Hector’s only heir.
Lilina: Do you think I could be like Roy? I mean… I couldn’t even recognize a traitor in my own castle…
Cecilia: People grow according to their potential. Even me, I didn’t know what I would do when I was pulled from Ostia to Aquleia and was told that I would be Etruria’s Sorcery General.
Lilina: But you were able to succeed because of your ability…
Cecilia: That’s not true. I was only able to come this far thanks to Percival and Lord Douglas. You’re thinking that you have to do everything on your own, aren’t you?
Lilina: Oh…
Cecilia: Even Roy isn’t fighting on his own, you know. He’s putting faith in the people around him. That is another important attribute for a person in power. So you can depend on people when you want to, too.
Lilina: Even you?
Cecilia: Of course. I’ll be glad to offer you help when you need it.
Lilina: Yes!

I'd say the whole mask thing was done poorly because if you're depressed, insecure, not confident, etc. it should be something the player can pick up outside of supports through subtle hints in Roy's main story dialogue. Also, his over idealistic mentality doesn't ever bite him in the ass unlike Eirika, part 1 Micaiah, Celica, or even Eliwood. 

Edited by Icelerate

Vika

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

She should actually go do something in part 3. It makes no sense for the Laguz emancipation army to stay away from the Laguz emancipating business and they might feel the most conflict about having to fight team Daein.

Also: +10% to Str and Def growths.

Titania (Radiant Dawn)

+20% Def growth.

Pelleas

+1 to third tier Magic and Speed caps.

Laura

Starts at level 6 with stats to match, improve Saint caps.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

59 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Tormod and Muarim: They should actually go do something in part 3. It makes no sense for the Laguz emancipation army to stay away from the Laguz emancipating business and they might feel the most conflict about having to fight team Daein. 

What if they opposed the Laguz invasion of Begnion and thought it would make matters worse? Of course, the writers should have showed us their reaction to the war in the first place since they left to Gallia along with Nailah and Rafiel. But for some reason, the writers remembered Nailah and Rafiel but forgot the LEA. 

18 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

What if they opposed the Laguz invasion of Begnion and thought it would make matters worse? Of course, the writers should have showed us their reaction to the war in the first place since they left to Gallia along with Nailah and Rafiel. But for some reason, the writers remembered Nailah and Rafiel but forgot the LEA. 

I don't think they would object. Tormod's not exactly a big thinker so I doubt he'd see so far ahead. RD also implies he's directly reporting to Sanaki so he'd know something is going wrong when the senates takes over. 

Julia: Give her a Seliph and Lana support. No more then that because pre endgame she's always been a very kind but silent girl who only speaks up when she feels it is necessary and I think giving her too many supports wouldn't fit that part of her. Also give her more dialogue at the end of the game, considering her change, role and status she has in the world she really needed more dialogue at the end. Oh and give her some final boss dialogue.

Finn: He's fine in FE5 but in FE4 Gen 1 he needs supports with Quan and Ethlyn because we really don't have enough happy Finn moments.

Tine: Aside from doing the obvious and giving her supports I really don't know what else they could do, she's easily one of the best Gen 2 characters and they already develop her fairly well with minimal dialogue.

Tiki: She needs a support with Nowi (yes I know about the dlc dialogue) and Chrom but more importantly than that they should have made her a character that was a lot more important in the story than some bonus unit you can get in a paralogue. I mean she's one of the last divine dragons! For all that hype she got in FE1 and FE3 about how she could destroy the world if she doesn't control herself they sure didn't do a lot with her in the conflict with Grima.

Jill: Hmmm...maybe give her more supports with Laguz characters aside from Lethe? Can't really say too much about her because just like Tine there's nothing that really bothers me with her.

Nyx: Give her more fitting clothes.

The biggest thing for Micaiah is more presence in the plot. If she had more screentime and time to explore her motivations without Ike and Yune, I feel she would really shine as a character and be more sympathetic. Perhaps even one of the most beloved Lords. Also fix her speed.

Nailah simply needed to be in the game more! I love her. Same with Sanaki, if I could have started using her sooner I would have liked her more I think.

Awakening I wish had explored Tiki more. I love her character and her design but she wasn't used enough and she shouldn't have been relegated to a side quest like she was :(

Inigo: well fates pretty much already improved him beyond any conceivable measure so I'm just gonna focus on his awakening iteration here. Though all that's really to say is to give him one or two deeper supports other than his parents and Lucina. Also change either his gerome or brady support into something a little more unique as his supports with those two are pretty much the same with some very minor differences.

Severa: balance out that tsun:dere ratio(this really only applies to the english version because in japan it's fine). Tone down the tsun tsun and bolster that dere dere a little just to make her a bit more likable.

Lucina: She needs more nuance I guess? Really I would like to see more of how actually hopeless her future was rather than her and the other kids just blathering on about it for days on end.

Owain: Needs more supports that focus on his more serious side that is all.

Peri: just give her a better reason to be xander's retainer and don't allow them to S-supprt. You know what just give them a better support all together. Really have more of her supports really question why she's here and please have none of them end with "oh it's ok peri we like you just the way you are" cause that sh*t is just asinine. Also have more supports that focus on her father and her backstory because that's easily the most interesting aspect about her character.

Selena/Laslow/Odin(yes I know I already talked about them separately but this applies to all of them in fates): GIVE THEM MORE OF A ROLE IN REVELATIONS!! like geez they KNOW about VALLA AND ANANKOS!!! WHY DON'T THEY SAY ANYTHING WHEN THEY HAVE THE CHANCE!!! also why don't selena and laslow have a special dialogue in chapter 11 talk about your missed oppurtunities.

Edited by Otts486

make Innes less arrogant, more aware of other people's feelings and less entitled. he's pretty good stat wise but more defense on a unit that can't attack at one range is nice.

2 hours ago, Wolfpack said:

make Innes less arrogant, more aware of other people's feelings and less entitled. he's pretty good stat wise but more defense on a unit that can't attack at one range is nice.

You seem to be suggesting the removal of everything that makes Innes, Innes.

Only got time for one of my faves right now, so I'll make it the biggest:

Takumi: As has already been said, actually give him a sensible reason for his antagonism towards Azura. Even if the drama cd hints that it's partly her attitude that shakes him, the writers still seem to be working on the principle of "He's distrustful and she's Nohrian, so of course he'd hate her!" as the working explanation. Which doesn't make sense when you look at how his distrust of Corrin and Nohrians in general actually follows from a sense making position (suspicious background combined with threats to the family dynamic for Corrin, dead parents and decades of aggression for Nohr). He easily becomes buddies with the Nohrians in Revelations once he actually gets to know them as individuals, yet this one girl, who came to Hoshido as a child and has done nothing for around a decade, is the one he holds a grudge on for.. reasons?

Their support combined with Azura's line in Conquest about how Takumi was kind to her on occasion, seem to suggest the writers tried to portray it as some underlying misgivings towards her that make him direct his frustrations at her whenever she confronts him (which is still awful, but something actual human beings do). The problem is that the support exists outside the narrative and the line is an example of 'telling' instead of actually 'showing'. All we ever see of their relationship before the war starts is Takumi being a jerk to Azura because 'distrust'.

And yeah, removing the hate demon possession would be nice. Or at least don't make his plotline come down to 'being in the wrong' and 'he really loved you after all!'.

Edited by Nanima

Azura: They tried way too hard with the mysterious girl trope here. Tone it down a lot. Add in a Support with Camilla. Have her not pull a "disappeared from history" type ending.

Soleil: Rewrite the Ophelia Support to make it so that she doesn't sexually harass her.

Alm: Make him less of a perfect boy.

Roy:  Basically what Glaceon Mage said.

Nowi: Put on some clothes.

Berkut: More showing, less telling and improve his relationship with Rinea so that it's not "Berkut Skywalker x Rinea Amidala"

Sophia: Honestly, i just wish she didn't......speak......like.......this.

Lilina: Give her actual story relevance. She has good Supports but for being Hector's daughter, she's quickly forgotten by the plot.

Lon'qu - He is among the characters that really suffers from the large amount of support conversations in Awakening. His past is mentioned in maybe like two conversations and without them he's just kind of a jerk that seems to have a weird quirk of being afraid of women. Really, the only way to improve that would be to cut down the convos but there's of course cons to that as well.

Kliff - Complete opposite problem to Lon'qu. He has one support conversation. One of the things I like about Echoes is how the characters get some characterisation outside supports as well, but come on. I know he doesn't like talking to other people but he could've at least a support with Gray or something.

Lyon - I love his personality and role in the story. I don't like his clothes at all. I do like his hair so that's really just nit-picking.

Nailah - We just need more of her. I wish Radiant Dawn would've had actual support conversations, so the characters that weren't in Path of Radiance would've gotten a chance to shine. I wasn't a big fan of laguz mechanics (mainly the exp thing) in general but since she's a royal, it wasn't as big of a deal with her.

Bruno - Veronica is still there but Intelligent Systems seems to have just forgotten him. I want some kind of conclusion to his story in Heroes or at least a reminder that he still exists. Oh, and I hope they make him summonable as well eventually.

On 07/05/2018 at 5:14 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

I don't think they would object. Tormod's not exactly a big thinker so I doubt he'd see so far ahead. RD also implies he's directly reporting to Sanaki so he'd know something is going wrong when the senates takes over. 

Due to being citizens of Begnion and supporting Sanaki, I think they might be initially opposed to the invasion of Begnion and instead try contacting Sanaki directly. Once they figure out what happened to Sanaki, they'd support the Laguz Alliance wholeheartedly. It would be a cool stealth mission. 

Sigurd: He should not fall to fast in love with Deirdre, this is a bit weird.

Caeldori:  The deeprealm thing is one of the worst things in the franchise, her appearance and name shouldn't be similar to Cordelia.

Ike/Micaiah: Ike shouldn't be the lord of FE10, it is Micaiah's game and Micaiah needs her own FE.

On 5/8/2018 at 4:52 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

Siegbert/Forrest/Shiro: Ditch the deeprealm nonsense. They don't take part in the main game and aren't only barely any younger than their dads. They are born naturally years after the story ended and their whole inclusion in the story is non canon.

I always thought the second gen would better serve as other nobles or relatives to the royals, like cousins. We don't really have a feel for either Hoshido or Nohr's upper class or government, so why not fill it up with these "child" characters?