What character did you want to like so much, but couldn't?

23 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Selena(Fates) - I love Severa, something about her really appeals to me, and I thought seeing her come back for Fates would be instant waifu material too, but...Selena is frankly all the worst parts of Severa(the [Self-Censored]y parts) without most if any of the good parts of her Awakening appearance(like, for example, why she's such a jerk). She also goes through pretty much zero character growth in Fates, as if they ran out of willpower to make her become a better person after Awakening - literally the only moment of true growth I can think of is her Caeldori A Support('cuz you know, I needed another chance to plug for that), where she realizes she was projecting all her issues she had with her mother onto her daughter and understands she needs to let it go.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Honestly I have to say she has worse supports in fates than she does in awakening. Cause in fates they all just boil down to “Hey you’re strong so I challenge you!” It’s repetitive and doesn’t really showcase any maturity on her part. I mean they’re not bad supports but they’re not as good as her awakening supports. It really does baffle me that people think Selena is the better iteration of her because it isn’t. She’s not as nuanced in fates than she is in awakening and most of her fates supports don’t utilize her character traits and such to their full potential. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably really uncommon but I was actually looking forward to liking Peri. It went downhill for me when I learned that she had a child like personality and could not distinguish between killing for fun and killing because it must be done. Yeah I get that she has been emotionally traumatized but she really rubs me the wrong way. 

6 hours ago, eclipse said:

Oh Say'ri. . .your design is cool, your class tree is cool, but where is your character?

this assumes she ever had a character

Flavia. She seems like she would be an awesome character... if only we got more than two supports for her.

Berkut. I thought the idea was great in concept, but the game handles him just so incredibly badly in my opinion, that he ended up becoming one of my least liked characters in the franchise.

Olwen - Getting Betrayed by Kempf is good, and her relationship with Rhineheart is good, but at seperate ages! 

When Kempf imprisons her, it is as a full general. Rhineheart's dilema is that he is overprotective and thinks she is still too much a child to make her own decisions. I think it's touching, but it should be happening between two younger people. Also she's a huge dissapointment gameplaywise in Thraccia 776

Swordmasters - I think Mia and Zihark are the ones that come to mind for being during my period of disenchantment. I think the hype about them should last more than one game. 

Julius -  Honestly, I don't even know why he wants to take over the world, he acts disconnected from reality all the time. His scenes with Ishtar come to mind where he offers to buy her things or walk in a garden come to mind.He frames his first gameplay appearance as a "game".  Even at endgame, he seems more concerned with theatrics than actually crushing the resistane, as I find the collection of the other country's bosses to be impossible to interpret another way. He does sometimes expound a very basic philosophy that explains that the child hunting and so on will help a might makes right kind of sciety, but it's very hollow, and never far from the child persona (usually re-emerges in same conversation). There is potential in like a unintentional child villian, but.... this isn't the Entei pokemon movie... Julius is overall really jarring for the setting and does not act how the rest of the story sets him up as, making him even worse than the bland or bad villians... at least they still work as villians or within their respective settings.

Xander. To be blunt, if he didn't matter to the story of Fates so much I might actually like him outside of Heroes.

I should be able to like Nyx. I mean, her whole background is fascinating and is the sort of thing that it feels like Fates should have done well. The issue is that it's mostly in supports, which are harder to get when you can't be trusted to survive 2 rounds of combat. Her design on top of that's also an issue to say the least.

Reinhardt in Heroes. I can't get one with good IVs and there's been so many enemy Reinhardts I've had to face.

16 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I always just assumed he trained anyway, like how we see our units train in supports but never see it in gameplay (aside from the quick cutscene with Alm and Mycen)

my guess is that he still continues his training, he just slowly realizes that his power is no match for alms despite all his training and turns to divine (hehe) intervention  but at this point I admit I might be grasping at straws here.

He probably does train, you're right, but it should be shown instead of the way he's portrayed, y'know?

Corrin - Had No emotions and made really bad decisions in game also felt like corrin was there because of fanbase reasons.

Camilla - Most of her supports dealt with corrin and her character was just disgusting to me and plus mostly fans care about was her chacha bingos.

Loki - same problem as camilla except for corrin.

Reinhardt - To many variations

Flavia and Basilio - IS why don' they get to s support makes no sense

Chrom - was a really bad lord made stupid decisions and was all about slaying bosses or gods and was mostly about vengeance and war.

Olivia - I somewhat don't like her I mean she dances then when other people come around her she says she so bad but yet she continues to.

Rinea - Felt like she was there just to get killed off didn't go deeper into her character.

Ylisse Trio - felt somewhat bland in awakening why bring them back into fates could have used Nah Laurent or the other kids also while Inigo and Owain are good Severa I kinda felt like she was just taking out all her anger for her mother on other people.

Reincarnated Cordelia - She was really bland she was always trying to prove how she is not as perfect as her father and then she has the option to get selena as a mom terrible strength stat and also their supports were terrible all she would talk about is how she was the spitting image of her mother STOP!

Xander, oh god Xander.

I loved his design when we first saw him. It screams exactly what his character was supposed to be, a complex Camus type, and got me even more excited for Fates, which seemed like it was going to tell an epic morally grey story. 

Then the game came out and Xander was actually a whiny hypocritical princeling who blindly obeys his obviously evil dad and recruits serial killers to be his retainers yet he and the writers still act like he's actually wise and righteous.

I was crushed.

Swordmasters in general - Too much hype, too little ability to deliver on the ungodly amounts of hype the fanbase heaps on them.

Sigurd - Too bland. And too overhyped.

Arthur - he is pretty nice as a character, but it's too bad he stinks to hell and back as a unit, not unlike most of the other axe infantry this series has churned out...

Rinkah - She is supposed to be a godsend, having high defense on a route that has very little in the way of good defensive units, but noooo, our "friends" at IS thought it would be a funny joke to make her suck too.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Sigurd - I really wanted to like him since I find him really attractive, but he is just so bland and so overhyped in the fanbase that I just don't care enough, and like his son a LOT better.

Tibarn - Tibarn looks like a really cool guy! Unfortunatly, this type of person (In video games or real life) are people I honestly can't stand at all!

Ike - Same as Tibarn.

5 hours ago, Michelaar said:

Sigurd - I really wanted to like him since I find him really attractive, but he is just so bland and so overhyped in the fanbase that I just don't care enough, and like his son a LOT better.

Tibarn - Tibarn looks like a really cool guy! Unfortunatly, this type of person (In video games or real life) are people I honestly can't stand at all!

Ike - Same as Tibarn.

Is Sigurd hyped by the fan base? I mean, in terms of personality, he certainly gets a lot of hype regarding his stats. I've seen people praise his story in the past, but I honestly can't recall a single comment, good or bad, about his personality before now.

Gerick. 

As my second proper Mercenary, I was hoping I'd like him as much as I liked Raven(Initially) as a unit and as a character. 

But I just didn't. His insane bases in a piss-easy game made him pretty uninteresting to use, I didn't really care for his design, and all of his dialogue bored me to tears. 14 years later, my opinion hasn't changed much at all. 

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

Is Sigurd hyped by the fan base? I mean, in terms of personality, he certainly gets a lot of hype regarding his stats. I've seen people praise his story in the past, but I honestly can't recall a single comment, good or bad, about his personality before now.

Well, everyone I speak to loves Sigurd oh so much.

3 hours ago, Michelaar said:

Well, everyone I speak to loves Sigurd oh so much.

Yeah, but I think that's more down to his stats and the fact that he gets killed than any of his personality traits.

20 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, but I think that's more down to his stats and the fact that he gets killed than any of his personality traits.

Nevertheless, I still think he's way too bland and not that interesting.

For me, it'll have to be Faye.

When I first saw her, I really liked her design. A cute village girl, not inherently sexualised. She looked like a good addition to Alm's army.

...Then I read the first drafts of her personality and prayed that someone was making something up.

...Then I played through the game and tried desperately to find one redeeming quality. I couldn't. She does nothing away from Alm, even her letters are about Alm, her one female conversation is all Alm... It's awful. Ruins a nice design, and yet if you try to tell people, they just then say you only don't like her because of her design not being sexualised. Actually... Camilla was knocked down several notches because of her design, but I can look past some of her personality, as there is something else there and not just Corrin (even if you have to look hard sometimes)... and I don't like Tharja because even though she does have things going on past Robin, very few appeal to me as a character. Faye was the true disappointment, though.

The plot of Fates: More than enough has been said about this but I really thought the premise was the most original and fascinating to date.

Camilla: Camilla hints towards an interesting backstory (some of the only worldbuilding/politics in Fates) but it's never properly explored and she is used as another tool for fanservice and player worship. Her portrayal in spinoffs just gets more uncomfortable.

Rinka: Oof, ouch, owie, her stats. She's not impossible to train but she sure does take a lot of pampering to get there. A shame, i really like her design.

The plot of SoV: It's probably because of Fates that I really wanted a taste of some good writing, and while it succeeded in some areas, it was too faithful to Gaiden. None of the original elements like Conrad or Berkut are allowed to shine and could be completely cut without consequence. Berkut has a powerful moment near the end of his story, but too much of the game is him getting his ass kicked, and then Alm/Rinea forgive him even though he didn't deserve it. Celica is another character I could have loved if not for how she is framed in story. Her very human flaws are stretched beyond what I can believe, and she just comes across as overemotional and foolish (which really hurts because Alm is Mr. Perfect.)

On 5/9/2018 at 9:15 AM, Tharja123 said:

Reincarnated Cordelia - She was really bland she was always trying to prove how she is not as perfect as her father and then she has the option to get selena as a mom terrible strength stat and also their supports were terrible all she would talk about is how she was the spitting image of her mother STOP!

Fool you gave me another chance to talk about Selena-Caeldori A Support

While Caeldori herself isn't an amazingly deep character, her A Support with Selena is interesting because Caeldori isn't in the Support to have her own character deepened and grown, she's there to be the foil by which Selena experiences pretty much the only moment of growth she has in all of Fates - basically, Caeldori exists so that Selena can understand herself and her own issues to a better extent, and work on letting those issues go. While this may have been handled differently using Odin or Lazlow, two characters who actually understand Selena's past and her difficulties, I find that the ignorant Caeldori manages to make the exchange more powerful precisely because she had no idea her mother was projecting her own issues with her grandmother onto her and using her as the scapegoat for all Selena's issues with Cordelia - it makes Selena's realization that she was unintentionally hurting her own relationship with her daughter due to her relationship with her mother that much more meaningful to Selena.

Frankly, however bad you may find this Support, at least there's some background meaning to it, unlike the A Support she has with any other mother, where Caeldori doesn't really grow and her mother doesn't really grow and you just end up wondering what the point was. It's also my main reason for liking Revelations the least, because this one golden nugget of a Support is buried behind a freaking $20 paywall IS you jerks.

As for your comment on Olivia, allow me to make another plug for Ghaast's Support Science videos - Olivia's is a pretty good examination of her character, and while it's possible you may not come out liking her any more than you already do, it's still neat to see, or you can watch one of the others, like how Camila has a mental disorder due most likely to her implied abuse in the Concubine Wars.

Lol. So I actually read the title wrong. I thought it said, "What character did you want to BE like, but couldn't". Hah. 

So, actual answer: Boey. 

I like his design and personality, but like some other people within Echoes, he just does not stand out from the other people in his class you would get later on in the game. I don't remember, but I think his main asset was his defense.(?) If that's so, I feel as though that is sort of a waste. I nearly never put my Mages in a position to tank damage when other units could do that better. Either way, anything he did, most of the other mages was able to do it much better, not including the male specific spells gained from the Sage class. Maybe I got stat screwed with him. Either way, as much as I liked having him around, he was just extremely mediocre. 

Edited by Martin

I could list half the cast of Fates if I wasn't lazy, so I won't.

I could also list most of Sacred Stones' cast. I mean, I don't HATE them, I just found most of them to be bland and uninteresting (with a few exceptions of course). 

Edited by DragonFlames