New Heroes Summoning Event: Genealogy (May 10 ~) - Ishtar, Lene, and Ares from Genealogy of the Holy War - (WARNING: DATAMINE SPOILERS)

Coolmanio

1 minute ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I am more interested about Fjorm's younger sister. I believe she will be the colorless Legendary Hero in June, as a staff user.

But June's legendary will be green. I'll take a green mage though. Or a red one if she happens to be this month's.

As to why Ishtar is so loyal to Julius, I now understand thanks to the new art. Ishtar is batting out of her league and therefore understandably keen to hold on.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Yep, they’ve representing their relationship pretty faithfully. I do want them to explore their relationship in more detail in an inevitable Genealogy remake. Memory prism, village talk, anything. How did the two meet? Whom does Ishtar love? Does Julius care about her even a little bit? And so on, and so forth.

Julius does get mad if you kill her so he probably does care about her a little, just not as much as he loves himself. In Tracia he has some scenes where he acts sweet to her. 

I sure hope for Ishtar's sake she fell in love with him before he went crazy. She'd have pretty poor tastes in men if she started swooning over Julius only after he went nuts. 

I noticed Julius is a red unit. That's actually kind of a bummer. We needed a green unit and with Alvis being green and Saias being blue it would have made sense for the third Velthomer boy to be green. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Why does English Julius sound so... shounen?

Like despite the fact he's basically shit-talking everyone, his voice proper sounds like a shounen protag to me.   An evil one, but a shounen protag.

39 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

But June's legendary will be green. I'll take a green mage though. Or a red one if she happens to be this month's.

Hm... We know Late May's Legendary Hero will be a red unit, because Fjorm, Gunnthrá and Robin will appear in the banner. We know Ike and Ephraim will appear in June, and Lyn in July.

If this month' Legendary Banner, Robin will be in her 3rd banner, so I don't believe she will appear 4 times in a row.

I still believe Gunnthrá will appear in the May and June' banners, so she can rest (in her grave) in July.

And I believe Ylgn will be a staff user, just like Maria, Mist, Lissa, Sakura and Elise are (the youngest normally is a healer).

52 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I am more interested about Fjorm's younger sister. I believe she will be the colorless Legendary Hero in June, as a staff user.

According to Wikipedia,

From Proto-Germanic *wulgī, from Proto-Indo-European *wl̥kʷíh₂ (“she-wolf”), from *wĺ̥kʷos (“wolf”).

I wonder if she's going to be the first beast unit?

2 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Hm... We know Late May's Legendary Hero will be a red unit, because Fjorm, Gunnthrá and Robin will appear in the banner. We know Ike and Ephraim will appear in June, and Lyn in July.

If this month' Legendary Banner, Robin will be in her 3rd banner, so I don't believe she will appear 4 times in a row.

I still believe Gunnthrá will appear in the May and June' banners, so she can rest (in her grave) in July.

And I believe Ylgn will be a staff user, just like Maria, Mist, Lissa, Sakura and Elise are (the youngest normally is a healer).

It's possible, sure, by the exact wording on the notification, but I don't think they'd risk annoying the people who tried and failed for Lyn this last banner by running Gunnthra twice in a row for no obvious reason. There's simply no to them benefit in doing so. I mean, running Lyn twice in a row would make more sense, but as Ephraim was immediately rotated out for Fjorm last month, it looks like they're sticking to their rigidly alternating rotation.

1 hour ago, Diovani Bressan said:

She seems to be holding a tome in her artwork tho. I wonder if she'll appear next chapter?

47 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

According to Wikipedia,

I wonder if she's going to be the first beast unit?

Well, she does have a pouch/satchel, but most heroes don't tend to have their weapon displayed in their neutral artwork

I'm really curious about the brother tho

@Midnoxeh. It looks like a satchel to me

Edited by silveraura25

1 hour ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Like despite the fact he's basically shit-talking everyone, his voice proper sounds like a shounen protag to me.   An evil one, but a shounen protag.

Well Julius shares the same va with Akira from devliman crybaby maybe that's the reason for the vibe you're getting his voice is perfection tbh

7 hours ago, Lewyn said:

Wish Julius had better defense at the expense of some of that res.  Atk-6 and slow speed, dagger users and bow users should still destroy him.  He'll tank magic really well as he currently is.  Animation looks amazing, and his art is good.  I have quite a few red mages including some similar like Sanaki.  However I'll 5 star him anyways, the atk-6 combat debuff can stack with other debuffs.  Engaging a chilling sealed opponent will make that unit hit with -12 attack.  

With his ploy, Loptous (ugh not a fan of that name), and stacked DD, he can hit effectively 40 def (28 + 12 in debuffs) and 62 res, so even with his garbage defense I don't think he'll be too terribly squishy. His speed will still hurt with getting doubled by everything, but with that bulk, he can actually survive decently well.

8 hours ago, Some Jerk said:

I'm considering an odd build for Julius.

Weapon: Loptous
Support: ??? (probably Draw Back?)
Special: Sol
A: Fury 3 / Resistance +3
B: Guard 3
C: Res Ploy 3
S: Atk Ploy 3

Between Loptous, Fury/Res, Atk Ploy and Guard, Julius has a whopping functional 52 magic defense (46 versus anti-dragon stuff, 47 versus enemies that somehow resist a Ploy from 41 natural Res). If I did my math right, there are a grand total of two magical attackers that can one-round him with that much mitigation: a Blarblade-user with crazy buffs, and Ishtar (she just barely does it with Odd Atk Wave active and neutral Atk). Granted, he can't do much in return to Blue magic users, but the simple fact that it would take that much to drop him through magic damage is disgusting.

What makes the build odd is that I'm actually considering Resistance +3 over Fury 3 because of keeping Guard up. Would Fury 3 + Sol be enough to offset the life drain?

I'm thinking steady stance or DD might actually be his ideal A slots. To put it in perspective, Saias and Arvis are as far as I'm aware considered very good ploy units and they have less res with fury than Julius does without. I know there's still support and refineries to factor in, but from what I skimmed of the stats table (phone won't let me sort), with +res 3 units beat him and 4 tie, which is scarily impressive.

Fury might help him avoid an occasional double, but 30 speed is still quite slow, and the recoil damage seems like it'd outweigh the defensive boosts and slight increase in units he can ploy.

On a side note, I really liked how much they made Julius reminiscent of his parents and sister while still making him distinct. I have to say, as a whole, he's probably among my favorite GHB characters just from an overall design perspective.

Edited by bottlegnomes

46 minutes ago, Poimagic said:

Why does Lene look like she is on a balance beam on this and is nearly falling off?

She's dancing

Maybe it's a reference to how the FE4 map sprite? Although this is a bit of a reach.

Spoiler

latest?cb=20120521080124

7 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

I'm thinking steady stance or DD might actually be his ideal A slots. To put it in perspective, Saias and Arvis are as far as I'm aware considered very good ploy units and they have less res with fury than Julius does without. I know there's still support and refineries to factor in, but from what I skimmed of the stats table (phone won't let me sort), with +res 3 units beat him and 4 tie, which is scarily impressive.

Fury might help him avoid an occasional double, but 30 speed is still quite slow, and the recoil damage seems like it'd outweigh the defensive boosts and slight increase in units he can ploy.

I figured Fury's recoil might be a bit too much, oh well.

Distant Defense slipped my mind and I like the idea, though I'm wondering if he'd want Quick Riposte as the seal instead. I hesitate to take Guard out of the B slot because it's an underused and fantastic skill for a wall.

2 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

As I understand, Julius was still a teenager by the time he died. One thing for sure, he was younger than Seliph

@Some Jerk I was considering that too. Guard is certainly a solid B skill now that it's not in direct competition with QR. With only one DD, guard, and QR, it takes 53/32 for a melee to kill him against his effective 38 HP and 34 def. For an archer to hit that, figuring firesweep L&D, they'd need 37 attack, 40 with BB + DB, only 31 for a 4HKO though (32 with L&D). BB quads will be his biggest problem, and no matter what, he won't necessarily do well against them, but with ally buffs, it seems like he should be able to survive, and guard seems like it could be useful for mages.

All that said, I'd have to actually do some simulations and play around with him to really get a sense for it though, and there are almost certainly other people more qualified to speak on it than me.

EDIT: Forgot to tag you :facepalm:

EDIT 2: Forgot ploys are only -5, so drop a point of attack from everything.

Edited by bottlegnomes

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Julius's stats are almost identical to Julia's with only a +1 Spd, -1 Def, and +3 Res difference from neutral Julia. Fun.

Dude's also summer Leo with +1 HP, +3 Atk, and an additional +3 Res with his Loptous tome. So much for being a seasonal unit.

18 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Julius's stats are almost identical to Julia's with only a +1 Spd, -1 Def, and +3 Res difference from neutral Julia. Fun.

It runs in the family, I guess.

19 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Glad you're trying it out again! A lot of people get intimidated by FE4 because of the map size. I don't blame them, and it can get more tedious than fun at times. That being said, I do find the experience rewarding and I do like the overarching themes, motifs, and such in the story. I also liked the secret ending as well.

I know it wasn't the map size, I love that and that got me very excited the first time I started playing. I think I dropped it because I was being silly and playing too many games at once - I dropped a lot of games then, it's only lately that I've been focusing in on 2-3 games at a time and making sure I finish one before starting another. 

Though I will say the map size could be used better, there's a little too much downtime for my tastes, but overall I'm very much enjoying the game. The overall gameplay systems are fantastic (even if there are a few things I miss from later games), and it's just like you said: the themes and motifs are fantastic, and the experience is a very rewarding one with every single bit of progression I make. I also love all the little subtext you get - even though the game was held back by I'm sure a combination of time and hardware, they made the most of every line of dialogue, and there are a lot of subtle things thrown in there that really add substance to the brief interactions. Ares and Lene's interactions in 7 are great, and Arthur finding and saving Tinny was wonderful. There's lot of stuff from Gen 1, too, and I'd heard people say that Gen 2 was more "basic" than Gen 1, but I'm not feeling that so far. There's a real sense of melancholy and desperation, nearly everyone has lost something precious to them that they can't get back and it adds a lot to the characterization and the feeling that this isn't just another "underdog Lord and his scrappy army overthrow an evil Empire" story (though I do enjoy those). 

There's a secret ending??? I need to find out how to get it and keep that in mind as I play through, I don't want to miss that!

I think I've figured out a good build for Ares.

Weapon: Dark Mystletainn
Support: Ardent Sacrifice / Reposition
Special: Bonfire
A: Distant Counter / Brazen Atk/Def 3
B: Vantage 3
C: Def Smoke 3 / <insert preferred Cavalry buff skill here>
S: Attack +3

I toyed with some calculations against meta builds, and Ares absolutely has the potential to be terrifying. In spite of 73 physical bulk, he's surprisingly squishy, so Vantage is pretty much required. When he's allowed to get going after his first combat though, he becomes a murder machine; Bonfire at the start of every combat is disgusting. Distant Counter or his native Brazen Atk/Def are a toss-up: with Brazen and cavalry buffs combined with a Def drop on the enemy he can defeat virtually any melee he initiates on, but Distant Counter allows him to slay most ranged units who think they're safe. Ideally he'd like to do the Def drop himself with a Smoke after his first combat so he's primed and ready, but as that skill isn't widely available (only from Spring Alfonse) you may want a teammate with a Ploy to handle it. Quick Riposte makes no difference in the seal slot because either Ares or his opponent are dying in one hit regardless, so he wants the extra Atk.

5 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

With his ploy, Loptous (ugh not a fan of that name), and stacked DD, he can hit effectively 40 def (28 + 12 in debuffs) and 62 res, so even with his garbage defense I don't think he'll be too terribly squishy. His speed will still hurt with getting doubled by everything, but with that bulk, he can actually survive decently well.

Well I was hoping for good defense so he could run close counter.  He is a final boss, better if he is well rounded defensively and able to counter any range.  I think the best thing would have been to make him a red mage armor.  This would.

1. Satisfy at least partially people who are upset that Winter Tharja just barely lost, so here everyone gets a powerful red armor mage.

2. Give him access to armor buffs and of course vengeful fighter and bold fighter two of the strongest skills in the game.

3. Ranged armor units have very little BST penalty, so with all that extra BST he could have really good mixed defenses, just throw most of that extra BST into defense and a few points from his res.  

4. We just got a free Takumi, so everyone has close counter fodder (if you upgrade him to 5 stars).  Julius super tank final boss of FE4 would be such a perfect recipient if he had that great mixed bulk.  Since close counter is an A skill, it is much harder to shore up weaknesses in def or res.  You have to have good def/res naturally.  

Julius' weapon is quite nice... it's like he has a defensive skill activated for pretty much ever single sittuation (except without the benefit of extra damage in Specials), unless he's fighting a Dragon Slayer.

But he's isn't exactly good for that weapon... He need at least like 26 Def... I would like a summoneable Julius, it would be pretty much the same; but as Armor Unit, and with the extra BST but into giving him +12 Def and +2 HP

Edited by Troykv

2 hours ago, Troykv said:

Julius' weapon is quite nice... it's like he has a defensive skill activated for pretty much ever single sittuation (except without the benefit of extra damage in Specials), unless he's fighting a Dragon Slayer.

But he's isn't exactly good for that weapon... He need at least like 26 Def... I would like a summoneable Julius, it would be pretty much the same; but as Armor Unit, and with the extra BST but into giving him +12 Def and +2 HP

That would be beyond terrifying. He'd have effectively 40/49/27/34/44 against non-dragon-slaying enemies. For comparison C!Tharja, arguably the best red mage in the game, has 43/48/20/36/38 with Candelabra+ in effect. 0_0

3 hours ago, Lewyn said:

Well I was hoping for good defense so he could run close counter.  He is a final boss, better if he is well rounded defensively and able to counter any range.  I think the best thing would have been to make him a red mage armor.  This would.

1. Satisfy at least partially people who are upset that Winter Tharja just barely lost, so here everyone gets a powerful red armor mage.

2. Give him access to armor buffs and of course vengeful fighter and bold fighter two of the strongest skills in the game.

3. Ranged armor units have very little BST penalty, so with all that extra BST he could have really good mixed defenses, just throw most of that extra BST into defense and a few points from his res.  

4. We just got a free Takumi, so everyone has close counter fodder (if you upgrade him to 5 stars).  Julius super tank final boss of FE4 would be such a perfect recipient if he had that great mixed bulk.  Since close counter is an A skill, it is much harder to shore up weaknesses in def or res.  You have to have good def/res naturally.  

No offense, but this is exactly what I mean when I say people are expecting too much from GHBs and even really any unit in general. I'm assuming you had something in mind like Troykv's suggestion I addressed above. In that case, what you're asking for is IS to give out 3 copies of a free version of arguably the best red mage, and just all around one of the best characters, in the game. Except he's even better because his speed, while low, isn't complete shit to the point where with buffs he could get out of being doubled by some slower characters—one goad means it takes 36 speed to double him. That's basically the equivalent of wanting them to drop Ishtar or Ayra to the 3-4 star pool.

Edited by bottlegnomes

12 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I noticed Julius is a red unit. That's actually kind of a bummer. We needed a green unit and with Alvis being green and Saias being blue it would have made sense for the third Velthomer boy to be green. 

Not... exactly?

Red tome users are primarily either Fire based or Dark Mages.

Blue tomes are mostly Thunder or Light magic users.

Green tomes consists of Wind or general Anima magic wielders.

The closest the pattern has come to being broken is ToD!Henry (normally a Dark Mage), Julia and Deirdre (Light Magic users), maybe Olwen depending on how you look at Thunderhead. Odin broke it definitely, but he's so out there that I'm not sure if they were being dumb dumbs when designing Odin or if they were referencing something...

Edited by Xenomata