Clearing up a misconception about Nanna in Heroes

RJWalker

Posted from Reddit.

Nanna in Heroes has two specific quotes in Heroes:

Nanna "Leif has always been so kind to me. We're as close as brother and sister..."

Nanna: "Now that I'm older, I understand how my mother felt..."

Back when Nanna was first released in Heroes and her voice clips came out, due to the way they were arranged, it made it seem like these quotes are the same thing and that Nanna was talking about feeling incestour love for her 'brother' like Lachesis did for Eldigan. Lots of people assumed this. The truth is that these two quotes are completely unrelated to each other. Nanna's line about understanding how her mother felt refers specifically to a conversation she has with Finn in FE4. The kicker is that this conversation can only happen if Finn is Nanna's father. The dialogue in question is this:

Finn: “Nanna, how’re you holding up?”

Nanna: “I’m fine, father. You don’t need to worry about me.”

Finn: “Your strong determination reminds me more of Lachesis each passing day, Nanna.”

Nanna: “Father, if you loved mother so much, how could you have let her go all by herself!?”

Finn: “To Isaac? Nanna, I’ve asked you before not to bring that up. …That’s between your mother and I.”

Nanna: “But…”

Finn: “You’ll understand someday. Just wait till you’re a little older.”

And in FE5, you also get this dialogue:

Delmud: “Nanna!? Nanna!”

Nanna: “Yes…”

Delmud: “Nanna… I’m sorry. If only I had known earlier, I would have come for you no matter what. But I didn’t know until I heard about you from Lord Levin…”

Nanna: “Lord Levin…?”

Delmud: “That’s right. He’s Lord Celice’s tactician, and he knows everything. He told me about our mother, Lachesis…how she came for me in Isaac but went missing in the deserts of Yied…”

Nanna: “! Then… Mother, she…”

Delmud: “I’m sorry, Nanna… She was protecting me…”

Nanna: “No… I was mad at you when I was younger, but I understand now. As a woman, I understand how mother felt…”

Heroes is very good at referecingin extremely specific lines of dialogue, especially for the older games. So her line "Now that I'm older, I understand how my mother felt..." refers not to her feelings for Leif but for Lachesis' reasons for leaving. When she was young, she could not understand why her mother would leave her but when she grows older, she finally understands it's not so simple as a mother seemingly abandoning her child. Nanna's dialogue in Heroes has nothing to do with incest. So let me repeat that. It has nothing to do with incest.