First playthrough, a question on Gaiden chapters

DisobeyedCargo

So I've seen that in order to get some of the Gaiden chapters, it requires some ridiculous stuff like getting nils to level 7 or beating this guy that cancels all magic and has stupidly high defense and speed. Should I bother getting all the Gaiden chapters on my first try, or should I just play the game without trying. Will I miss out on recuitable characters or important pieces of the plot?

If this is your first playthrough, than you won't miss out out anything crucial story-wise and only one recruitable character (though he is your main dark magic user save for an endgame character). The part about leveling up NIls in Lyn's mode and killing Kishuna only applies to Hector's tale, which is unlocked after beating the game for the first time. I got every chapter on my first playthrough because I'm a completionist and wanted to play every map, but it's not like Binding Blade where missing a Gaiden chapters locks away the best ending.

Okay well that's good to know, I was worried about something like fe6's true ending was locked away in a Gaiden or something.

ah that's the guys name kishuna, he seems fun to fight 

I would only focus on getting all of your lords levels higher than 50 (as in Lyn, Eliwood, and Hectors level being higher than 50 if you add them together) by chapter 23 and keeping one of the Caelin knights alive in chapter 16. 

12 minutes ago, Tuvy said:

I would only focus on getting all of your lords levels higher than 50 (as in Lyn, Eliwood, and Hectors level being higher than 50 if you add them together) by chapter 23 and keeping one of the Caelin knights alive in chapter 16. 

For four fanged offense?

1 hour ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

For four fanged offense?

Yeah, if your lords are collectively level 50 or higher than you get the Linus version which has no fog and you can recruit a Warrior named Geitz, if they're not you go to a fog of war map to fight Lloyd and get Wallace back.

5 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

ah that's the guys name kishuna, he seems fun to fight 

If you want to fight that guy, Marcus, maybe Lyn, and anyone else that can use C ranks in Swords as well as an A rank in Lances would be your best bet. Since those would be the guys that would deal the heaviest damage to him by the first time you see him.

About Four Fanged Offense- I find Linus's version to be the better of the two, so I always try to shoot for his.

On Eliwood Mode, Lloyd's map is notably easier, since Mr. Irving Reed doesn't move and is range 1 locked. On Hector Mode, unless you're play LTC, which most aren't I feel Lloyd's battle is punishment for failing to level your lords. Moving boss in the middle of a map, in fog of war, with high stats, with a 1-2 Res targeting Light Brand and +15 Crit being a Swordmaster is all so very nasty.

Although I guess Florina or Fiora or a magic user with a Pure Water/Barrier use can tank him safely. Don't really know since I've always avoid Lloyd's map on all my Wii U runs of the game. 

I also prefer Linus's map because Wallace is kinda bad, and Geitz, though not stellar, is a balanced, perfectly usable prepromote.

There is another case where you getting a different map- 25 Eliwood Mode/27 Hector, Pale Flower of Darkness (could someone explain this chapter name to me?). If Erk, Lucius, Serra, and Priscilla have gained more EXP than Dorcas, Bartre, Raven, and Guy since starting Eliwood/Hector Mode, then you go to a seize map featuring a Bishop boss named Kenneth. If Dorcas, Bartre, Raven, and Guy have gained more EXP than Erk, Lucius, Serra, and Priscilla, then you go to a rout map featuring an Assassin boss named Jerme. The maps look and play totally differently, but the story is basically the same and snow falls some of the time on the battlefield, slowing everyone's movement outside of the buildings.

The two maps share in that you can obtain either Harken the Hero, or Karel the Swordmaster when they show up after 10 turns into the battle, but they differ in how you get the one or the other. On the Kenneth map, killing less than 2 promoted enemies gets you Harken (use Eliwood, Hector, Marcus, Lowen, Oswin or Isadora to recruit), killing 2 or more gets you Karel (use Eliwood (or Hector on Hector Mode) or Lyn to recruit). On the Jerme map has a lot of doors, open 4 or more to get Karel to appear, less than 4 doors being opened by the specified turn gets you Harken.

Harken is typically considered better, but you can have fun and use Karel too. And both maps are fine in gameplay.

7 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Okay well that's good to know, I was worried about something like fe6's true ending was locked away in a Gaiden or something.

Well on a Hector Mode run, you do want access to 17xx: A Glimpse in Time, the Kishuna kill + Nils leveling chapter, since it does contain a rather important tidbit of information. In addition, completing it and Hector 23x: Genesis, and Hector 32x: The Value of Life, tweaks the penultimate boss's dialogue (however, the tweaked line in question was terribly mistranslated in English- one wrong word ruined what it was supposed to mean) and adds an extra CG in the Epilogue.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

About Four Fanged Offense- I find Linus's version to be the better of the two, so I always try to shoot for his.

On Eliwood Mode, Lloyd's map is notably easier, since Mr. Irving Reed doesn't move and is range 1 locked. On Hector Mode, unless you're play LTC, which most aren't I feel Lloyd's battle is punishment for failing to level your lords. Moving boss in the middle of a map, in fog of war, with high stats, with a 1-2 Res targeting Light Brand and +15 Crit being a Swordmaster is all so very nasty.

Although I guess Florina or Fiora or a magic user with a Pure Water/Barrier use can tank him safely. Don't really know since I've always avoid Lloyd's map on all my Wii U runs of the game. 

I also prefer Linus's map because Wallace is kinda bad, and Geitz, though not stellar, is a balanced, perfectly usable prepromote.

There is another case where you getting a different map- 25 Eliwood Mode/27 Hector, Pale Flower of Darkness (could someone explain this chapter name to me?). If Erk, Lucius, Serra, and Priscilla have gained more EXP than Dorcas, Bartre, Raven, and Guy since starting Eliwood/Hector Mode, then you go to a seize map featuring a Bishop boss named Kenneth. If Dorcas, Bartre, Raven, and Guy have gained more EXP than Erk, Lucius, Serra, and Priscilla, then you go to a rout map featuring an Assassin boss named Jerme. The maps look and play totally differently, but the story is basically the same and snow falls some of the time on the battlefield, slowing everyone's movement outside of the buildings.

The two maps share in that you can obtain either Harken the Hero, or Karel the Swordmaster when they show up after 10 turns into the battle, but they differ in how you get the one or the other. On the Kenneth map, killing less than 2 promoted enemies gets you Harken (use Eliwood, Hector, Marcus, Lowen, Oswin or Isadora to recruit), killing 2 or more gets you Karel (use Eliwood (or Hector on Hector Mode) or Lyn to recruit). On the Jerme map has a lot of doors, open 4 or more to get Karel to appear, less than 4 doors being opened by the specified turn gets you Harken.

Harken is typically considered better, but you can have fun and use Karel too. And both maps are fine in gameplay.

Well on a Hector Mode run, you do want access to 17xx: A Glimpse in Time, the Kishuna kill + Nils leveling chapter, since it does contain a rather important tidbit of information. In addition, completing it and Hector 23x: Genesis, and Hector 32x: The Value of Life, tweaks the penultimate boss's dialogue (however, the tweaked line in question was terribly mistranslated in English- one wrong word ruined what it was supposed to mean) and adds an extra CG in the Epilogue.

Jesus Christ they went heavy with the Gaiden chapters in this game 

doesn't harken come with a brave sword to?

15 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Yep, Harken has a Brave Sword and Karel has a Wo Dao.

Just now, DisobeyedCargo said:

Yup, the only one in the entire game you can get. Karel has the only Wo Dao on Eliwood Mode, Hector-exclusive Karla does have one though. But Wo Dao vs. Brave Sword, well slightly better Killing Edge vs. Brave weapon, Brave wins.

Harken also has axe access for 1-2 range via Hand Axes, which is quite useful, and he has the Con to use axes in general. He gets a small overall stat boost on Hector Hard Mode since he starts as an enemy while Karel starts as an NPC. Karel's excess Spd is deemed generally superfluous, while Harken's extra Str and Def are useful, and he still has viable Spd and Res good enough that with Pure Water or Barrier, he can tank and slaughter magic users (important for one obnoxiously magical chapter on Hector Hard Mode).

So that explains why Harken >> Karel generally speaking, but again, use whoever you want. 

6 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

The Gaidens are different though than what you see in FE6, and definitely different from the Paralogues of Awakening and Fates. Some can be ugly, Night of Farewells is tedious you'll see (hint- bring a flier or two, and maybe Hawkeye). And on Hector Hard Mode, Value of Life is like 80% Berserkers if memory me right, several with Swordslayers so you can't win with just dodgy swords.

But overall, they're fun, different, and barring the Kishuna trio of chapters which form their own thing, generally fit into the overall narrative better than FE6's Gaidens or the Awakening and Fates Paralogues do. Not playing Port of Badon or Night of Farewells makes the game feel a little incomplete to me, they're not absolutely essential, but they're weaved in narratively enough that you could imagine the chapters as not being Gaidens if you didn't know better.

• 3 weeks later...

In general the gaidens aren't too tricky to get barring the first Kishuna one (which can't even be gotten in Eliwood mode). There's also a map which varies based on which out of a set of units you levelled up more (Your early mages/healers vs. your early mercs/fighters/myrnidons). I recommend the mage version, especially if you want to try Karel at all, as how you get him instead of Harken is much easier there.

Also Port of Badon has the best unit.

22 minutes ago, Dayni said:

In general the gaidens aren't too tricky to get barring the first Kishuna one (which can't even be gotten in Eliwood mode). There's also a map which varies based on which out of a set of units you levelled up more (Your early mages/healers vs. your early mercs/fighters/myrnidons). I recommend the mage version, especially if you want to try Karel at all, as how you get him instead of Harken is much easier there.

Also Port of Badon has the best unit.

Well I kinda already beat the game. 

One rounded final boss with crit luna on Athos 

and got harken despite having the Mage map

and I didn't use dart 

2 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Well I kinda already beat the game. 

One rounded final boss with crit luna on Athos 

and got harken despite having the Mage map

and I didn't use dart 

>Respond to a post 17 days later

Of course you did. Sorry.

Getting Harken's still very doable, I was just saying it was easier to get Karel than on the other one.

Also no, Dart was not who I was talking about. I was on about the unit from the gaiden map.

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

>Respond to a post 17 days later

Of course you did. Sorry.

Getting Harken's still very doable, I was just saying it was easier to get Karel than on the other one.

Also no, Dart was not who I was talking about. I was on about the unit from the gaiden map.

Oh uh....Canas!

i still didn't use him 

its cool. Fun game

If unlocking Support conversations is something that you're interested in, I'd actually recommend going for Lloyd's version of chapter 23 the first time you play, so that you can unlock all of Wallace's supports. (And make sure you haven't already gotten three supports with Lyn, Wil, or Kent before then, or you'll be unable to unlock Wallace's A supports with them.)

I could tell you more about unlocking the supports, but I'm afraid that might bore you. They're easily available on this website anyway, and I imagine that not many people have the same OCD that I have in wanting them unlocked in-game as well.

In any case, as mentioned above, if you're ever going to do Lloyd's version of Four-Fanged Offense, ENM is the mode for it, and you're forced into that mode anyway on your first playthrough.

Edited by Paper Jam