Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Pokémon Let's Go

Water Mage

I wasn't ready to move on to a new generation anyway. I'm concerned about the supposed connection to Yellow over just Red and Blue. Yellow version is a version of Red and Blue with several shoutouts to the anime. And I assume by this point the first seasons of the anime have been retconned to oblivion.

One thing that will really bother me is if we're stuck with only Kanto and Alola pokemon. That's a good ensemble, but Kanto borders Johto and Sinnoh so I expect some connection there. I'm also in love with the idea of Alola forms and hope more regional variants are in the cards. Sounds like something they could do without having to progress to a new generation. Regional variants take up the same Pokedex slot.

I assume our choice of starter is taken up by what version we pick? Pikachu for me. I can't handle the difficulty in choosing what Eeveelution I'd want. And since Yellow was my first Pokemon game ever, I'd love to use Pikachu again. Eevee as a starter is pretty cool. I wonder how many people played the other Pokemon game where Eevee is your starter?

Edited by Glennstavos

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I wasn't ready to move on to a new generation anyway. I'm concerned about the supposed connection to Yellow over just Red and Blue. Yellow version is a version of Red and Blue with several shoutouts to the anime. And I assume by this point the first seasons of the anime have been retconned to oblivion.

As far as I know, it hasn't really been retconned at all.

Yet somehow Ash still managed to be ten years old after visiting seven regions. =P And having a full year pass by in the first one.

45 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

See, that's why they're right to do this... (I actually pretty much agree with the rest of Armagon's post).

First of all, if you just stop 2 second, you would understand that Pokémon Switch could have never been a Sinnoh Remake. If it had to be a remake, it could be only 1G. Whether I agree (I have.. mixed feeling honnestly. Gen 8 is so obviously the best choice for me.)) or want a Sinnoh Remake (I actually am quite positive), is irrelevant. I can developp why if you want, but this is pretty obvious. There are high chance of it comming on a few years. If it's not the second main Pokémon games on switch, then you'll have all the reason to complain, but as hard as the waiting is, have patience.

Secondly... Pokémon fans doesn't really care about originality. The most vocal portion actually seems to... loathe it. People only recently strted to admit than gen 5 was great, and gen 7 is, right now, really disliked. Instead the new genwunners are asking for a remake of one of the less innovative and original Pokémon game. That doesn't stop Sinnoh to be a really good region, and DPPt to be really good games, but while it added a lot competitively, and the Physical/Special split is a cool mechanics, it doesn't compare to what 2G (breeding, daily events + day/night cycle, and too much thing to note) or 3G (Double Battles AKA the official competitive tier ;  Natures and Abilities)

You'll find a vocal minority that will complain about everything. Gen V was by and large lauded when it came out.

Sun and Moon's changes were by and large praised as well. 

You can't broadly speak about "Pokemon fans" when you only refer to nostalgia blinded assholes.
4th gen really shows its age now; the games are physically slow and just overall haven't gotten much love (being stuck between 1-3 and more recent ones). 

2 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Eevee as a starter though? Pikachu worked but...

Yeah, I'm on the "I'd rather have Sinnoh remakes" bandwagon.

Eevee worked well in Pokémon XD

Hell it won't even be a problem against Pikachu because unless they introduce a brand new Ground Eeveelution, it will be a fair match.

1 hour ago, Tamanoir said:

First of all, if you just stop 2 second, you would understand that Pokémon Switch could have never been a Sinnoh Remake. If it had to be a remake, it could be only 1G. Whether I agree (I have.. mixed feeling honnestly. Gen 8 is so obviously the best choice for me.)) or want a Sinnoh Remake (I actually am quite positive), is irrelevant. I can developp why if you want, but this is pretty obvious. There are high chance of it comming on a few years. If it's not the second main Pokémon games on switch, then you'll have all the reason to complain, but as hard as the waiting is, have patience.

The only reason i said it should've been a Sinnoh remake is because that would've been the logical thing after ORAS. But more importantly, i think most of us were expecting Pokemon Switch to be a brand new game that starts Gen 8 and instead, we get Kanto remakes.....again. For me, that's the really disappointing part. I was so looking forward to this game, expecting a brand new region with new Pokemon and to find out that it's just Gen 1 pandering again is not a good feeling.

Which is why if we really had to start Gen 8 with a remake, it should've been Sinnoh.

If this is true, then it's an easy pick for me - Eevee is my favourite Pokemon.

However, I would have preferred Sinnoh remakes.

As for mixing in Pokemon Go...no thank you. The only part of Go that I want in a mainline game is Professor Willow, Spark, Candela and Blanche. Their designs are way too good to be wasted on a mobile game that is slowly dying in popularity.

Now, I'll be going back to waiting for another Ranger game, or Pokemon Conquest 2.

Well, if it's going to be like Pokemon GO then no thanks.

However, if it's going to be like any other main-series Pokemon title and is featured in Kanto again, then count me in. Kanto is my favorite region with all of my favorite Pokemon. I don't care if Kanto has been accessible in Gens 1-4, for me, it'll never stop being good haha. (Besides, who knows how they'll update it if this rumor if true)

To be honest, this is a little selfish but i'm kinda glad this isn't a DP remake since those are my least favourite Pokémon games. Not that Kanto is much better (Very bland) but I can tolerate it more.

2 hours ago, Tamanoir said:

See, that's why they're right to do this... (I actually pretty much agree with the rest of Armagon's post).

Secondly... Pokémon fans doesn't really care about originality. The most vocal portion actually seems to... loathe it. People only recently strted to admit than gen 5 was great, and gen 7 is, right now, really disliked. Instead the new genwunners are asking for a remake of one of the less innovative and original Pokémon game. That doesn't stop Sinnoh to be a really good region, and DPPt to be really good games, but while it added a lot competitively, and the Physical/Special split is a cool mechanics, it doesn't compare to what 2G (breeding, daily events + day/night cycle, and too much thing to note) or 3G (Double Battles AKA the official competitive tier ;  Natures and Abilities)

Firstly, who says? You don't work for GF.

Second, again, who says? I've only seen praise for gen 7. And genwunners seem to just be a vocal minority. Pokemon sells like crazy no matter what.

And it isn't unreasonable to have expected Sinnoh remakes sometime since the three gens before it got remade.

So how about you just stop and simply agree to disagree?

Edited by Anacybele

21 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I've only seen praise for gen 7.

Nah, it's pretty mixed. I wouldn't say a lot of people dislike it or anything, but it's definitely not only praise.

Anywho, I forgot to say my last two reasons for being okay if the next game is in Kanto:

1. I want to see Kanto in full 3D lmao

2. I feel like it'd be way too soon to have another new region. Also, with the amount of Pokemon there are now, it's starting to become overwhelming. I think it'd be better to rework older Pokemon or make adjustments rather than add a whole new plethora of them into the mix. (Also, will Z-Moves be removed? Cuz like, those seemed to be specifically designed for Alola. Personally I kinda want them gone... they didn't add much and are just unnecessary. If anything, they should add more Megas for those who need 'em)

1 minute ago, SuperIb said:

Nah, it's pretty mixed. I wouldn't say a lot of people dislike it or anything, but it's definitely not only praise.

Well, it still doesn't seem to be as disliked as Tamanoir said.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Well, it still doesn't seem to be as disliked as Tamanoir said.

Oh, definitely not. I personally liked 7th gen a lot. I really hated 5th gen and disliked 6th gen when they came out (except ORAS - ORAS is great), but Sun/Moon got me back into the games. I think the criticism draws from post-game, battletree, lack of national dex and lack of gyms. There's more than that but that's mostly what I hear being complained about. The criticism for Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon is worse, but that's really not surprising due to it basically being the exact same game, haha.

Pokemon has a tendency to register names that they don't use. Gamefreak has registered:
Pokemon Topaz
Pokemon Tourmaline
Pokemon WhiteGold
Pokemon Moonstone
Pokemon Delta Emerald
The list goes on, these usually get scrapped or changed in the end so whilst this game could potentially exist it could just be them place-holding a name. Pikachu is still their mascot, so just making him a starter again doesn't really mean it's just going to a be a gen 1 remake either and Eevee has several possibilities across the generations to evolve into the prospect of using him as a starter would give more options to the player for their starting pokemon to evolve into which gives the casuals more options to fill gaps in their team.

@Anacybele I don't know about you but when the remake of Gen4 will arrive, I expect it more to be on the next handheld console since the 3DS is at the end of its life.

4 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

True, but that was a spinoff and had limited options for teams.

Why wouldn't it work on a not spinoff then? If anything, Eevee is even better in my opinion. You have access to three generic types BUT you can choose to go for other types, all the game would need is a normal gym leader for the first badge and a guy that sells stones.

You could also change the rules, like making Glaceon evolve from an Ice stone alongside the first method.

1 minute ago, Nym said:

@Anacybele I don't know about you but when the remake of Gen4 will arrive, I expect it more to be on the next handheld console since the 3DS is at the end of its life.

Why when GF seems perfectly fine making main series games for the Switch? And when the Switch is super successful? I really like the Switch, so I would definitely prefer my favorite gen get remade for that system.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Why when GF seems perfectly fine making main series games for the Switch? And when the Switch is super successful? I really like the Switch, so I would definitely prefer my favorite gen get remade for that system.

I expect it's more because it has been forever since the last time a Pokémon game was on a "home" console (if you don't count that pokémon game from the wii).

2 minutes ago, Nym said:

I expect it's more because it has been forever since the last time a Pokémon game was on a "home" console (if you don't count that pokémon game from the wii).

Uh, Pokken would like a word with you. It just came out for the Switch and then the Wii U before that. Also, those aren't main series games. And since GF wants to ride the Switch more with main series games, I don't see why Sinnoh can't be added. Heck, it's probably the safer bet because the Switch is already known to be successful while we have no idea about the next handheld.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

Uh, Pokken would like a word with you. It just came out for the Switch and then the Wii U before that. Also, those aren't main series games.

Come on Ana, Pokken is a spin-off fighting game, it's different.

Actually now that I think about it, since Colloseum and XD are also considered spin-off, there never really was a "traditional" pokémon game on a console.

Since Stadium games are also spin-off.

9 minutes ago, Nym said:

Why wouldn't it work on a not spinoff then? If anything, Eevee is even better in my opinion. You have access to three generic types BUT you can choose to go for other types, all the game would need is a normal gym leader for the first badge and a guy that sells stones.

You could also change the rules, like making Glaceon evolve from an Ice stone alongside the first method.

True true.

Pikachu in yellow would refuse thunder stones though, so...food for thought.

3 minutes ago, Nym said:

Come on Ana, Pokken is a spin-off fighting game, it's different.

Actually now that I think about it, since Colloseum and XD are also considered spin-off, there never really was a "traditional" pokémon game on a console.

Since Stadium games are also spin-off.

It's still a Pokemon game. And Pokepark, Pokemon Battle Revolution, etc. are Pokemon spinoffs too. So what's the difference?

And nope, never. Switch Pokemon games will be the first.

EDIT: Yeah, if Pikachu can't evolve while Eevee can, what's the point of ever picking Pikachu edition over Eevee unless you just really really like Pikachu? Eevee would surely sell a lot more.

Edited by Anacybele

39 minutes ago, SuperIb said:

Anywho, I forgot to say my last two reasons for being okay if the next game is in Kanto:

1. I want to see Kanto in full 3D lmao

2. I feel like it'd be way too soon to have another new region. Also, with the amount of Pokemon there are now, it's starting to become overwhelming. I think it'd be better to rework older Pokemon or make adjustments rather than add a whole new plethora of them into the mix. (Also, will Z-Moves be removed? Cuz like, those seemed to be specifically designed for Alola. Personally I kinda want them gone... they didn't add much and are just unnecessary. If anything, they should add more Megas for those who need 'em)

They got rid of Megas. they'll got rid of Z Moves. I'm not particularily excited at what other kind of concept they would invent to break the meta game honnestly.

Honestly, a remake (or reboot) of Gne 1 isn't that much of a bad idea. On 1 hand,there's already 11 games featuring Kanto. But they all start to date. HGSS is awesome, but it dates back to gen 4. And if you count only gen 1, FRLG are even older. Many things have changed in between, and it seems to be a sequel of sort, so why not. Also Kanto, as the first region, is the one with less personality, so rediscovering the region would also be interesting

The possibility of few new Pokémons isn't totally excluded either actually. The recent" reveal" of Gorochu have made many talked about it. And Eevee means the possibility of a new eeveelution isn't totally excluded)

But the number of Pokémons is a real issue. They want the serie to last as long as possible. But finding new and original designs become harder and harder (And I think they made a great job so far all yhings considered). And UBs  is a trick you can only put once.

..Now I was particularily salty, and painted everything on a negative light. Sorry 'bout that. I just think that it's a bad arguent against a gen 1 remake because you're fighting nostalgia with nostalgia (I would prefer a new region personally. Not necessarily tons of new Pokémons, but simply discovering a new region is always exciting)
While people constantly asking fro a 4G remake is annoying, because it wouldn't made much sense as the first Switch game, it does push back an e
ventual DPPt remake even further. And that's honestly annoying. Put tons of 4G reference on the next game GF ! Because I really want a Sinnoh remake. I only played through Diamond 11 years ago, and I want to enjoy the region properly this time. (Though no double screen means they'd have to co
 ... However it's just not exciting enough. Granted a 1G game is weird as well. But whether you lik it or not (I mostly care about Gen 1 because of Nostalgia), gen 1 just have a wider appeal (Pokémon Go, 1st time fans and so on.)

I remain cautious, but they never made a bad game so far, so I'll wait for more information.

Edited by Tamanoir