Ballistae as Vehicles

Dismissed

Is it possible to make siege engines that you can ride in a realistic way? I'm wondering how the ballistae of Fire Emblem move. In FE1, ballisticians look like they jury-rigged a siege engine onto a chariot, with their method of movement unexplained. In FE7 and FE8, the ballista map animation seems to imply that the user is riding some sort of cart with the ballista attached to it, but the unused battle animations just have the unit stand behind the machine. FE11 and FE12 seem to imply that ballisticians move around by pushing their equipment, the wheels turning with the help of that fruit that Beck mentions in FE12, but it's still not fast enough because they still move slow AF.

Fates Ballisticians don't really count because the design of their machine is just plain unrealistic, like some other class designs in Fates.

Now, is it plausible for a ballista/siege engine vehicle to exist realistically? I'm thinking of adding some chains and gears connecting the wheels leading to a pedal system to propel the cart forward. What do you guys think?

Edited by Purple Mage

It's a rather interesting topic. Though I myself never learned engineering, I do think a pedal system would need godlike leg muscles to be able to move the whole thing. Except if there is some sort of engine I guess? Also, the more gears, the less raw power it needs afaik, so it might even work.

Here you go, the BBC and the Royal Army actually built da vinci’s tank and explained it’s wartime applications in the era it was created.  You might find it useful for your idea.

4 hours ago, Bubba Jones said:

Here you go, the BBC and the Royal Army actually built da vinci’s tank and explained it’s wartime applications in the era it was created.  You might find it useful for your idea.

The video is blocked in the Philippines, so I can't watch it.