Atlus's milking of Persona shows ill signs for the future of MegaTen

Kazuya

On 5/24/2018 at 2:01 AM, Von Ithipathachai said:

Yeah.  One of the things that's always bugged me about the series is that Law is usually portrayed as the general worst of the three Alignments.  Shin Megami Tensei II in particular suffers quite profoundly from this and it's one of the reasons (among others) I dislike it so much relative to other mainline games.

It's Old Testament YHWH.  Which. . .makes for a good story if you want to take a shit on religion, but it completely ignores the huge tonal shift in the New Testament.

Hell, if they tried for an honest-to-goodness re-enactment of Revelation (the ENTIRE book, not just the "life is suffering" parts), that would make things a lot more interesting.

Regardless of story, the gameplay of persona is much better for casual player. The panel and few battle animation/effect bored me pretty fast, where as persona I can grind for hours and still won't be bored because of the animation/effects. The description can says this skill is strong enough to destroy earth but that's it, it's just words, while a simple fireball in persona can be amazing to look at. Plus all the cool costumes we get in persona 4 and 5. 

Nevertheless, I think MegaTen V is proof that Atlus is not giving up on the mainline, it's just that they can't justified keep producing a new game in a series that is not as popular as persona. Think about it this way, they are milking persona to make the next MegaTen game.

On 26/05/2018 at 9:16 PM, eclipse said:

It's Old Testament YHWH.  Which. . .makes for a good story if you want to take a shit on religion, but it completely ignores the huge tonal shift in the New Testament.

Hell, if they tried for an honest-to-goodness re-enactment of Revelation (the ENTIRE book, not just the "life is suffering" parts), that would make things a lot more interesting.

To be fair, there's not much difference between Old Test YHWH and New Test YHWH, both are... not very nice people.
It's like comparing a molted cherry and a molted carrot.

What I remember is that one of the point of one of the ending is precisely breaking the chains that bounds you as a human created by a jerkass god, rising above your station and creating a better future for basically everything, whereas the other is accepting the bounds that chains you to humanity and others people (whatever how that works, but eh, Persona-thing), for the better, and the very much implied, SMTII-like, worse. It's pretty badasses endings. you got that I haven't seen, since the TDE from Nocturne, the game where you are basically, an Ubermensch. (Which you àre more or less in IVA too depending of the ending choosen)

Just for that along with other things and themes, and despite the various Persona 4 anime things and annoying 'friends' that constantly bothers me, I prefered SMTIVA plotwise to P5, first because I can kill them and two, P5 only have one moment where things were serious, where the dark tones was truly set, and that's the start of the game, just the start, then filler filler filler. And don't even start with... 'that' spoiler.
I don't see true questioning of life, true changes, true resolutions, nope Arcana Friendship cheese, because of course there's that like, witout having the characters truly aknowledging... pretty much every problems in teme. It would be so nice to have an Anarchy ending in a Persona game... alas, it's not the point of the series.
There's some good themes and morals in P5 though, like, having relation and connection is not bad by itself, you should stand up for yourself a little more or else you might put yourself in some crap because seriously, what is wrong with those people who dig their own grave ?

For SMTSJ:Redux, I spoiled myself, and frankly, I liked the new endings. I didn't enjoyed a Law ending since SMTIV.

So, yeah, I can't deny it hurt MegaTen series a little, but so far, I think they do a good job with SMT. Maybe easier games, but eh.
It could be better, yeah, but it could be way worse.
Now if they put more Persona in SMTV- that I won't play because I don't have Switch- I'll be worried though.

Edited by B.Leu

Oh. Sorry. Somehow, the idea of a Christian debate being created because of my post didn't really reached my brain, it's probably because we were talking about SMT that I posted food in mouth without much thinking. :/

Again, I'm sorry for that, it really wasn't my intention, like at all, I'll be more careful in the future.

It's thanks to Persona in part that Atlus can make its various spinoffs, fun stuff like Catherine might not have existed without the existance and success of Persona.

I love Devil Survivor and Mainline a lot but to spit on Persona (which I myself used to embarrassingly do). Is a bit silly considering it's thanks to them that we've gotten some more games in general.

plus I'm really excited for SMTV mechanically as much as 4:A dropped the ball plotwise it improved the combat to really good levels.

I also really adored SMT4 but that's probably because it had a lot of similar themes to SMT1 and those who know me know I'm a sucker for anything related to SMT1.