Fire Emblem: Heaven's Bloom [v1.1 released!]

Roosterton

Okay, I've went ahead and released 1.0.6, which makes the following changes to tone down ch.10:

• -2hp/spd on the enemy bishops
  • -2hp/-1spd on the enemy darting blow archers (hardmode only)
  • Aminda leaves 1 turn later (turn 8 instead of turn 7)

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Roosterton said:

Okay, I've went ahead and released 1.0.6, which makes the following changes to tone down ch.10:

• -2hp/spd on the enemy bishops
  • -2hp/-1spd on the enemy darting blow archers (hardmode only)
  • Aminda leaves 1 turn later (turn 8 instead of turn 7)

That makes a big difference. I can actually double them with Henly now.

Oh, the chapter suddenly ended when I killed the last boss. I thought I'd have time because the aim was to seize the north road. Planned on buying a light brand in the armory (also I'd love if that armory sold Javelins, I'm down to my last Short Spear for 1-2 physical options now).

Also Janessa died at one point at I didn't get a gameover, the game just froze, all the sprites were still animated, but there was no cursor or anything. Not a major problem if she is intended to invoke a gameover, but maybe something to look into.

45 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Oh, the chapter suddenly ended when I killed the last boss. I thought I'd have time because the aim was to seize the north road. Planned on buying a light brand in the armory (also I'd love if that armory sold Javelins, I'm down to my last Short Spear for 1-2 physical options now).

Also Janessa died at one point at I didn't get a gameover, the game just froze, all the sprites were still animated, but there was no cursor or anything. Not a major problem if she is intended to invoke a gameover, but maybe something to look into.

Hmm, that's odd. Was the last boss the very last unit on the map? Trying to figure out if this happened because of a mistaken boss death trigger or a 'rout all enemies' trigger. Also, which boss was it?

edit: Nvm I think I know the problem, accidentally reverted to an older event file when rebalancing the chapter. Fixing now T_T

Was she rescuing another unit when she died? This is a known issue with the FE8 skill system afaik (or at least the version of it that I used). If that wasn't the case, then I need to fix something.

Edited by Roosterton

14 minutes ago, Roosterton said:

Hmm, that's odd. Was the last boss the very last unit on the map? Trying to figure out if this happened because of a mistaken boss death trigger or a 'rout all enemies' trigger. Also, which boss was it?

edit: Nvm I think I know the problem, accidentally reverted to an older event file when rebalancing the chapter. Fixing now T_T

Was she rescuing another unit when she died? This is a known issue with the FE8 skill system afaik (or at least the version of it that I used). If that wasn't the case, then I need to fix something.

Yes, she had a unit rescued at the time.

Hi, I just started this hack and have been really enjoying it. Just came across an unintentionally funny dialogue inconsistency: When recruiting Breyett, Hands (who's supposed to be mute) starts talking like a normal person.

Edit: Also I've noticed that supports are only effective over 2 tiles instead of 3. I'm guessing that's an intentional design choice

Edited by chairman_meow

Adding to the LP List (Ep 1. should be up tomorrow or Wednesday). I'll drop feedback as I finish individual chapters on here as well as in the videos

1 hour ago, chairman_meow said:

Hi, I just started this hack and have been really enjoying it. Just came across an unintentionally funny dialogue inconsistency: When recruiting Breyett, Hands (who's supposed to be mute) starts talking like a normal person.

Oops LOL, I'll get around to making a conditional & alternate text for that at some point

Edit: Also I've noticed that supports are only effective over 2 tiles instead of 3. I'm guessing that's an intentional design choice

Actually no, it seems I changed this by accident when attempting to change something else. Will be fixed for the next update. Thanks!

40 minutes ago, Attila said:

Adding to the LP List (Ep 1. should be up tomorrow or Wednesday). I'll drop feedback as I finish individual chapters on here as well as in the videos

Awesome! I look forward to watching.

Currently playing Ch. 12. Pretty good game so far.

Just commenting in that the 3 characters you receive in said chapter all have generic palettes.
Also Felix's palette is kinda ugly. His GK promotion is ugly as well. General seems as the only decent one.

9 minutes ago, TheUltimateChaos said:

Currently playing Ch. 12. Pretty good game so far.

Just commenting in that the 3 characters you receive in said chapter all have generic palettes.
Also Felix's palette is kinda ugly. His GK promotion is ugly as well. General seems as the only decent one.

Thanks for the feedback!

I made a bunch of palettes early on (including Felix's), but now someone more talented than me has taken over that aspect of the project, so they're all in the process of being redone by him. They won't be ugly/missing forever.

Finally finished the game on hard mode! That was a lot of fun. I didn't keep specific notes for each chapter, but I've got thoughts on the hack overall (just gameplay mechanics). 

Spoiler

- First, my characters! https://imgur.com/a/Tel10VH

- I liked the difficulty curve. I can't remember the chapter # (the one where you need to kill 3 bosses), but at that point I realized I needed to start promoting my units even though they didn't get to hit the level cap. I feel like more EXP needs to be provided overall, since the average level of my units were really low even at the last chapter (I wanted to at least get the lvl15 skills, but only got them on a couple of the units by the end).

- Getting those pre-promotes later in the game also really helped because some of my earlier units were really getting terrible level ups. 

- During the later chapters the hack does a good job of remaining player-phase focused, since you can't really tank many enemy units b/c of their varied composition. Also felt like I was playing Fates Conquest again since I had to pay attention to enemy skills (and the return of Lunge LOL).

- Magic units definitely were the MVPs of my army. Providing plenty of Bolting tomes throughout the game let me have more options in each player phase. Staves were also plentiful: again, it feels like Fates Conquest since they're a necessity to complete each chapter. Orceil was underwhelming as a unit though--I thought his lunge mechanic + swapstone was cool, but didn't really have practical use since he was really fragile, nor powerful enough to deal good damage (still a good A rank staff user). His bases + growths just weren't good enough for him to be useful in combat I think.

- Flying units were also really good. A lot of the chapters involved splitting up the army, or had some time constraint, so having all 3 fliers really helped pivot between the split up groups or getting to far-away objectives faster. Darting blow is sooooo good.

- The placement of armories/shops also felt just about right. Usually I only had 1 turn to get all the shopping done (plus selling any gems) since there was always some time pressure. There were also tons of enemy drops so I never felt like I didn't have enough supplies, but also needed to pick what to buy carefully (lots of lances for the fliers in particular).

- I think my only gripe with the game overall is Miracle on enemy units. It felt especially punishing to have to use 2 units' turns to kill 1 unit, which was especially problematic for a player-phase focused game. I think that's why Fates Conquest didn't use it all that much (and was even luck % based). 

- Since the final chapter's fresh on my mind, I'll jot down some thoughts I had on it:

• Took many tries to figure out how to kill the boss. Had to memorize where he was going to go. Unfortunately only Fordra and Tayli were the only ones who could damage the boss enough to make progress pass the Nosferatu + Renewal wall. 
  • Glad I saved all the warp/barrier staves, and had Sedry and Orceil to use them each turn. Really helped me get Fordra and Tayli to where the boss was. I had to use Latona each turn also for all those stupid sleep Bishops. 
  • Had to sacrifice a lot of my units since the reinforcements were merciless. Sleep worked well on the Gwyllgis, and using braves against the Life or Death Wights who also had braves. 
  • Also figured out that if you know where the reinforcements are spawning, you can preposition units on those squares to "plug the holes."
  • I feel like the final boss's stats might be tuned too high, since it felt like I was lucky that Tayli turned out so good and that the S-rank lance increases resistance. The fact that the attacking unit needs to have high strength and high resistance (so he doesn't recover too much HP back), almost none of the units get to that requirement with the low growth rates. So I'd say either tune his stats down or increase the power of the S-rank weapons. Admittedly one thing I could've done better on my play through was get more supports to help though.

- Overall, this hack had really great gameplay. Felt inspired by Fates Conquest! 

39 minutes ago, Gauss Jordan said:

Finally finished the game on hard mode! That was a lot of fun. I didn't keep specific notes for each chapter, but I've got thoughts on the hack overall (just gameplay mechanics). 

Reveal hidden contents

- First, my characters! https://imgur.com/a/Tel10VH

- I liked the difficulty curve. I can't remember the chapter # (the one where you need to kill 3 bosses), but at that point I realized I needed to start promoting my units even though they didn't get to hit the level cap. I feel like more EXP needs to be provided overall, since the average level of my units were really low even at the last chapter (I wanted to at least get the lvl15 skills, but only got them on a couple of the units by the end).

- Getting those pre-promotes later in the game also really helped because some of my earlier units were really getting terrible level ups. 

- During the later chapters the hack does a good job of remaining player-phase focused, since you can't really tank many enemy units b/c of their varied composition. Also felt like I was playing Fates Conquest again since I had to pay attention to enemy skills (and the return of Lunge LOL).

- Magic units definitely were the MVPs of my army. Providing plenty of Bolting tomes throughout the game let me have more options in each player phase. Staves were also plentiful: again, it feels like Fates Conquest since they're a necessity to complete each chapter. Orceil was underwhelming as a unit though--I thought his lunge mechanic + swapstone was cool, but didn't really have practical use since he was really fragile, nor powerful enough to deal good damage (still a good A rank staff user). His bases + growths just weren't good enough for him to be useful in combat I think.

- Flying units were also really good. A lot of the chapters involved splitting up the army, or had some time constraint, so having all 3 fliers really helped pivot between the split up groups or getting to far-away objectives faster. Darting blow is sooooo good.

- The placement of armories/shops also felt just about right. Usually I only had 1 turn to get all the shopping done (plus selling any gems) since there was always some time pressure. There were also tons of enemy drops so I never felt like I didn't have enough supplies, but also needed to pick what to buy carefully (lots of lances for the fliers in particular).

- I think my only gripe with the game overall is Miracle on enemy units. It felt especially punishing to have to use 2 units' turns to kill 1 unit, which was especially problematic for a player-phase focused game. I think that's why Fates Conquest didn't use it all that much (and was even luck % based). 

- Since the final chapter's fresh on my mind, I'll jot down some thoughts I had on it:

• Took many tries to figure out how to kill the boss. Had to memorize where he was going to go. Unfortunately only Fordra and Tayli were the only ones who could damage the boss enough to make progress pass the Nosferatu + Renewal wall. 
  • Glad I saved all the warp/barrier staves, and had Sedry and Orceil to use them each turn. Really helped me get Fordra and Tayli to where the boss was. I had to use Latona each turn also for all those stupid sleep Bishops. 
  • Had to sacrifice a lot of my units since the reinforcements were merciless. Sleep worked well on the Gwyllgis, and using braves against the Life or Death Wights who also had braves. 
  • Also figured out that if you know where the reinforcements are spawning, you can preposition units on those squares to "plug the holes."
  • I feel like the final boss's stats might be tuned too high, since it felt like I was lucky that Tayli turned out so good and that the S-rank lance increases resistance. The fact that the attacking unit needs to have high strength and high resistance (so he doesn't recover too much HP back), almost none of the units get to that requirement with the low growth rates. So I'd say either tune his stats down or increase the power of the S-rank weapons. Admittedly one thing I could've done better on my play through was get more supports to help though.

- Overall, this hack had really great gameplay. Felt inspired by Fates Conquest! 

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Spoiler

Another unit who you likely could have used to hurt the final boss was Janessa, especially if Chrysalis is still intact: She shouldn't take too much damage with beefed up res, and Savage Blow allows her to deal 24 damage for free to him after combat (but this damage won't kill him).

I decided to make Orceil a bit weaker on the combat side to account for his massive utility between A-staves and repositioning enemy units. That said, I didn't want him to be too fragile, since lunging around causes him to be in enemy range quite often. I'll take another look at his defensive stats and do some math.

I originally added Miracle to the Janessa chapter because without it the fliers were a little too easy to kill on enemy phase, especially with a strong promoted axe user (Felix, Derruk). It was perhaps gratuitous of me to put it on some enemies in the final two chapters, since as you said those ones are much more player-phase oriented. I'll play around with some alternative skills that for these that might make it less frustrating.

The Fates-Conquest feel is definitely what I was going for, so I'm glad I succeeded in that regard!

Okay that Hero in Chapter 11, the one on the Colloseum, he's ridiculously fast. Like 23 speed. For comparison, my sword master only has 14 speed, that's the highest in my army (tied with Derruk who's still only a Mercenary, but has amazing speed). That's enough to double any unit in my army three times over. And it's not like he's particularly weak in any other regard, hitting with 31 atk. Even his resistance is great. I have three turns to beat him with basically my entire army and I'm legitimately unsure if I can reliably do it. I think my only option is to use save states and try and rig a crit with Shamshir (Keena faces a 27 hit rate against him, which is good for dodge tanking, but still comes with the considerable risk of having to start the entire map again. Plus she's only doing nine damage so she needs at least two crits to beat him, and once again, she's being doubled, not doubling which is kind of Sword Master's thing). And this guy doesn't even have a face!

Edited by Jotari

7 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Okay that Hero in Chapter 11, the one on the Colloseum, he's ridiculously fast. Like 23 speed. For comparison, my sword master only has 14 speed, that's the highest in my army (tied with Derruk who's still only a Mercenary, but has amazing speed). That's enough to double any unit in my army three times over. And it's not like he's particularly weak in any other regard, hitting with 31 atk. Even his resistance is great. I have three turns to beat him with basically my entire army and I'm legitimately unsure if I can reliably do it. I think my only option is to use save states and try and rig a crit with Shamshir (Keena faces a 27 hit rate against him, which is good for dodge tanking, but still comes with the considerable risk of having to start the entire map again. Plus she's only doing nine damage so she needs at least two crits to beat him, and once again, she's being doubled, not doubling which is kind of Sword Master's thing).

I'm actually really surprised that 14spd is the highest in your army at ch.11. Sounds like RNG has been unkind to you :(

That said, some other options you might want to consider:

Spoiler

Put him to sleep with Fordra and then just wail on him - the colosseum isn't a throne or gate, so it won't restore his status each turn.

Promote Derruk to a Hero or Ranger, place him 2 squares away and place Tayli next to him (for spur spd) - should now be fast enough to not get doubled, and can retaliate with a handaxe or decent bow.

Chip him down from 3 range with longbow Breyett, if you still have the longbow - can early promote him to a sniper if he's not doing enough damage & dance with Aminda to shoot twice per turn.

Edited by Roosterton

45 minutes ago, Roosterton said:

I'm actually really surprised that 14spd is the highest in your army at ch.11. Sounds like RNG has been unkind to you :(

That said, some other options you might want to consider:

Hide contents

Put him to sleep with Fordra and then just wail on him - the colosseum isn't a throne or gate, so it won't restore his status each turn.

Promote Derruk to a Hero or Ranger, place him 2 squares away and place Tayli next to him (for spur spd) - should now be fast enough to not get doubled, and can retaliate with a handaxe or decent bow.

Chip him down from 3 range with longbow Breyett, if you still have the longbow - can early promote him to a sniper if he's not doing enough damage & dance with Aminda to shoot twice per turn.

Managed to do it first try with Keena, though I never would have put her out there at such risk if I wasn't comfortably safe with a save state. RNG has been pretty unkind to me. I've since promoted Breyett to Ranger and my highest speed is now 20. Also got some lucky level ups on Tayli who's sitting at 17 speed and yet to promote.

15 minutes ago, Lord of Gabriel Knight said:

I would change Orceils swapstone to not allow doubling as it sucks that he's fast enough to double a lot of enemies with it but it deals basically no damage and its just for utility anyway. A lot of endurance is wasted on doubling.

Haha. I completely agree. In fact, I'd just added it to my list of notes to disclose at the end. I think just giving it a tonne of weight (right now it doesn't even weight Orceil down at all) would do the trick. It'd also serve to make it riskier to use as he'd have a higher chance of getting doubled after using it.

Just now, Renais said:

what does the swapstone even do, is it just a long ranged weapon that does basically no damage?

You're meant to use it with Lunge to effectively warp around the place and bring dangerous enemies into more convenient places.

32 minutes ago, Jotari said:

You're meant to use it with Lunge to effectively warp around the place and bring dangerous enemies into more convenient places.

thats rlly smart wow am i dumb thank you!

14 hours ago, Roosterton said:

Thanks for the feedback!

I made a bunch of palettes early on (including Felix's), but now someone more talented than me has taken over that aspect of the project, so they're all in the process of being redone by him. They won't be ugly/missing forever.

Now that I think about it, I may have come as a little rude. Sorry about that.

Already made it to Ch. 14 and I'm having a good time with the game. While my units are strong, I still need to be careful because enemy units are also capable of the same things I have access to, which makes it more challenging.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

Haha. I completely agree. In fact, I'd just added it to my list of notes to disclose at the end. I think just giving it a tonne of weight (right now it doesn't even weight Orceil down at all) would do the trick. It'd also serve to make it riskier to use as he'd have a higher chance of getting doubled after using it.

I've already received feedback that Orceil is a bit too fragile to be useful in the lategame, so I don't want the swapstone to weigh him down and make that issue even more extreme. Also, doubling is important for him to gain WEXP, which he otherwise struggles with quite a bit. If anything I'll probably just make the swapstone unbreakable so that it doesn't feel bad to waste durability by doubling.

7 hours ago, Golden Paladin said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Ahm hello, maybe u should create another thread for portraits like other hacks did because it seems most of the portraits are kinda off, sorry for my rudeness btw.. 

2 hours ago, TheUltimateChaos said:

Now that I think about it, I may have come as a little rude. Sorry about that.

No worries haha, I have no illusions that I'm a good visual artist. All advice is appreciated :)

Okay, so aside from the slight issues with the portraits, which I believe have already been mentioned, I finished the prologue yesterday, and I'll go ahead and give my thoughts on it

Spoiler

Okay so I decided to do my playthrough in the Hard Mode Patch, and I had one main issue; it wasn't hard. The map design was good, and the enemies had nice placements, but their stats just weren't on par for the first chapter. You could double nearly every enemy with every unit, including Hands. Maybe give some of the units specific enemy strings and give them something like Wary fighter so they can't be doubled, as they do have the HP to survive a round of combat. I also may be over-exaggerating it since it's literally the first chapter.

Regardless, I most of the problems I see with the portraits can be fixed easily, so if you want it done quickly, go ahead and drop a PM or join my Discord server (Linked in every video I post) and the video should be up today around 12 EST, or whenever I decide to get up and post it. (I'll edit with the link).